The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Does Oysterflex Make Sense??

I’ve been finding myself drawn to the YG Daytona on oysterflex ... it’s absolutely stunning and the ceramic bezel is a huge plus.

I just don’t understand the price point compared to a full YG piece with bracelet and not sure if I can justify it

Anyone else find themselves in this dilemma ?
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:38 AM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i like the look of it on the daytona but also don't think i could justify the price over a full pm piece
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
I’ve been finding myself drawn to the YG Daytona on oysterflex ... it’s absolutely stunning and the ceramic bezel is a huge plus.

I just don’t understand the price point compared to a full YG piece with bracelet and not sure if I can justify it

Anyone else find themselves in this dilemma ?
You’re paying for less gold — ceramic bezel and oysterflex.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:55 AM   #4
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

I love the look of the oysterflex. It makes sense on PM models you don’t want a PM bracelet for due to the heft and damage.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
I feel the same way and that’s the reason I haven’t gotten one.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:03 AM   #6
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

I have the 519LN. Makes perfect sense to me. Nobody questions PP or AP on rubber at their respective price points.
MattyL147 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:09 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
. . .

. . .
Price Point? It's a piece of jewelry; you're not buying a bag of peanuts by the pound.

The Oysterflex Daytona has extra machining and the integrated case gap-link, a full titanium/vulcanized bracelet (it's not a rubber strap), and a precious metal clasp. The technology here is amazing.
Old 9 August 2020, 11:12 AM   #8
Nixshah
"TRF" Member

I get it, but the difference between oysterflex and full PM bracelet is still $8-10k depending on material...feels like it’s not a nominal difference like some are implying.

I love the white gold Daytona on oysterflex. Think it’s a great looking watch.
Nixshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:18 AM   #9
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

No it does not. But neither does spending 30K on a watch. Personally I would never spend that much on an OF, I'd spring for an all gold piece 100% of the time.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:07 PM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
No it does not. But neither does spending 30K on a watch. Personally I would never spend that much on an OF, I'd spring for an all gold piece 100% of the time.
Agree completely.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:55 PM   #11
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I agree OP. I love the look of the Oysterflex as well. The price has definitely prevented me from pulling the trigger on one. If it were slightly above TT model I'd pick one up immediately.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:03 PM   #12
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshake View Post
I agree OP. I love the look of the Oysterflex as well. The price has definitely prevented me from pulling the trigger on one. If it were slightly above TT model I'd pick one up immediately.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
OF is priced right around where it should be. OF is about $1k, clasp is $3k-ish for PM. Bracelet+clasp is $15k new for PM roughly, and the watch diff is $10k or so. So it adds up.

But honestly, buy what you want. Don’t look at the raw materials, no one here is smelting watches to metal ores. I don’t think Rolex prices unfairly for either bracelet, OF or leather.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
I have the 519LN. Makes perfect sense to me. Nobody questions PP or AP on rubber at their respective price points.
I do. PP, AP, Rolex, name it, that kind of money for a watch on a rubber strap, or vulcanized petroleum product or whatever just simply doesn’t make a lick of sense to me.

Don’t get me wrong. I dig on the OF. I bought one and an extra glidelock for my sub. I think the OF should come as an included accessory to a PM piece, not the only option.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:28 PM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don’t believe it is worth the price differential vs a quality aftermarket elastomer strap. Forget the special case machining (the cost is about the same as the old alligator straps), R&D,

But I think there is a difference in the sense of buying security.

The feature of an internal flexible titanium blade frame is a great safety feature if the elastomer failed.

Comfort is another thing you’re paying for. The thin cushioning fins on the inner surface is superior to any generic rubber strap.

So Rolex can charge what the brand’s customers are willing to pay - but not really a cost-based price model. A market willingness to pay model methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:43 PM   #15
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
If you know any girls that are into bags ask them if the material used justifies the price of a Chanel or Hermès.
If you can’t get over what Rolex charged for an Oysterflex how do you feel about a stainless steel submariner? It’s hard to quantify the price of a luxury item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:46 PM   #16
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Once you accept that you’re paying luxury prices for a luxury item, the pricing makes sense within the Rolex parameters. SS tops off at 15k, you can’t get PM under 20-25k and full bracelet is 35k. Makes sense, it’s just how you value those things. Personally I went for the full bracelet Daytona (although I love my YM on oysterflex)
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:16 PM   #17
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
To me it seems less about the materials vs cost than it is about the Rolex heritage for lifetime design. The metal cases and bracelets will literally last a lifetime. Or several. The rubber not so much. Yeah Rolex has to move it's design to stay competitive but a core principle has been pieces that even if heavily worn, are functional and attractive. A worn bracelet is. A worn out OF is not.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:28 PM   #18
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
I felt the same way before buying my WG on OF. Wished that it came with full bracelet and OF so you could swap, but once I saw and felt how comfortable the OF is and how it so nicely integrates with the case, I realized I'd probably never swap out for the full bracelet. And it makes a nice addition to a lineup where you have an option for a full PM or SS bracelet.
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:41 PM   #19
oconnorandrew64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona 1165
Depends on the look you want - the rubber and ceramic made it pop to me and the OF is so comfortable in the wrist

Circa 15k difference

oconnorandrew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:12 PM   #20
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
What will oysterflex look like 10 years from now? 20 years?
Its longevity will not compare with metal bracelets, no question about that.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:58 PM   #21
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i like the look of it on the daytona but also don't think i could justify the price over a full pm piece
This.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:41 PM   #22
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
If you know any girls that are into bags ask them if the material used justifies the price of a Chanel or Hermès.
If you can’t get over what Rolex charged for an Oysterflex how do you feel about a stainless steel submariner? It’s hard to quantify the price of a luxury item
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Price Point? It's a piece of jewelry; you're not buying a bag of peanuts by the pound.
These comments are spot on. People don't buy luxury goods for the raw material cost that goes into them, and if they later decide to sell their Rolex they are not going to take it to their local cash4gold scrap metal dealer. Just like they are not paying 50x the price of a quartz watch or a digital GPS watch in the hope that a Daytona will keep much better time.

The current pre owned market says that people are willing to pay a bit more than list price for the OF Daytona and a bit less than list price for full gold. So based on how desirable the public find these watches, you could say the OF at retail price is too cheap, not too expensive. The market is driven by supply and demand, and whatever the relative 'deliberate scarcity' tactics from Rolex, it's clear that the public really like the OF product.

My WG 519LN Daytona is a great casual-luxury watch. If I had an extra $10000 spare on top of the price of the OF, I could buy five 1oz Britannias, Krugerrands, Eagles or Pandas. Maybe in a couple of decades if the OF is looking tatty I could swap one of the gold coins for a couple of new OF bracelets.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:55 PM   #23
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Spending 10K or more for a SS watch weighing a few grams makes a lot of sense
Old 9 August 2020, 07:13 PM   #24
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
These comments are spot on. People don't buy luxury goods for the raw material cost that goes into them, and if they later decide to sell their Rolex they are not going to take it to their local cash4gold scrap metal dealer. Just like they are not paying 50x the price of a quartz watch or a digital GPS watch in the hope that a Daytona will keep much better time.

The current pre owned market says that people are willing to pay a bit more than list price for the OF Daytona and a bit less than list price for full gold. So based on how desirable the public find these watches, you could say the OF at retail price is too cheap, not too expensive. The market is driven by supply and demand, and whatever the relative 'deliberate scarcity' tactics from Rolex, it's clear that the public really like the OF product.

My WG 519LN Daytona is a great casual-luxury watch. If I had an extra $10000 spare on top of the price of the OF, I could buy five 1oz Britannias, Krugerrands, Eagles or Pandas. Maybe in a couple of decades if the OF is looking tatty I could swap one of the gold coins for a couple of new OF bracelets.

+1
Old 9 August 2020, 07:17 PM   #25
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

The Oysterflex Daytona has extra machining and the integrated case gap-link, a full titanium/vulcanized bracelet (it's not a rubber strap), and a precious metal clasp. The technology here is amazing.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:18 PM   #26
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Have the white gold on OysterFlex and love it. Have just bought the Everose on OysterFlex for my wife, and love that also.

As for value...I read somewhere once that a Rolex bracelet has about 50 grams of gold, which at £50 per gram means its worth about £2.5k.

So from a value perspective, it all depends whether you consider the Rolex cost of a gold bracelet, or the gold value in a gold bracelet.

I just bought the watches I like best, and that’s OysterFlex. Just personal taste though.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:33 PM   #27
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

The OF is very comfortable and, because of the internal flanges, tends not to slip on the wrist.....which the gold bracelet can do because the weight. It’s also cooler in hot weather, and actually quite a lot cheaper to buy.
It comes down, as usual, to what you like and prefer to wear. My choice woukd be gold bracelet for Daytona, OF for Yachtmaster. As for wear, after, say, ten years you could replace the OF bands cheaply enough, the gold clasp is the valuable bit.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:44 PM   #28
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Does Oysterflex Make Sense??

Like all PM Daytona's the options for aftermarket straps are limited through the standard sellers (RubberB and Everest). So going with the OP is potentially tying to that bracelet. I'd certainly like to be able to wear the watch with leather as well, for example (maybe there are OEM solutions to this problem). I'd certainly love a Daytona on OF (the bottom line for me) but considering I've got the Pt Daytona, it's not happening.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:15 PM   #29
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
No sense whatsoever. I dig it. I wouldn't mind a couple in my box. Buying top shelf rubber only watches - that were previously Oyster bracelet watches I might add. Nah.
This thread probably separates the value shopper from the wealthy WIS. I'm happy to be the former.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:25 PM   #30
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Sorry, I don´t like the Oysterflex.....
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote