The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 March 2009, 10:15 AM   #1
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
To Regulate or Not Regulate, That is the ...

QUESTION: Got a GMT II 1675 recently. It is running about 6 seconds slow per day, after the gentlemen I bought it from cleaned and oiled the movement(he is Rolex trained) and regulated it. I will be in NY this week and could take it to the RSC, as I understand they will regulate your Rolex while you wait(or go have lunch).

What do you advise, O Wise Ones?

thanks,
Dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I hope it is that easy...while you wait!!
...I thought you get a tattoo while you wait

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
Icon11

Dan

Was in the City 4 weeks ago ;so my wife and I went to RSC of NY. .when you go enter the building from the side. Anyway i asked if the can pressure proof my wifes TT NDate oyster..The yasked how old it was told them 4 and where we purchased it. make along story short ,the girl took it in the back waited 1/2 hour and came back and said everything is fine but the watch was going tick tock not tick tick ..Her watch is right on the money. Then she proceeded to say we (Rolex) recommend a full cleaning and thats when we regulate the watch. I asked her why can't you do it now? She said our policy is to regulate the watch during servicing. Being that we have 1-2 years to go my wife and I declined. Now the watch back was opened so I said put a new gasket/ "o" ring in it to close it back up.Told them we are going to Cancun and be doing water activites. She takes the watch back and out comes a Rolex Tech. 20mins later. He put a new o-ring in and said don't worry about the water activities you can wait 1- 2more years if you want to bring it in for full service. Sorry for the long thread but that was my experiance with them .got a catalog and a green leather pouch for storing the watch.She asked if I would like them to look at my Sea-Dweller I said nooooo..I take very good care of my watches looks new....Its a"p" series never been opened ;so out we went with 2 green pouches and a catalog with a written estimate for full service on wifes watch for $550 dollars. My SD is +2-1 amonth and my SubDte is +2-1 amonth depending which way I lay the wach on my peronal foam holder I made ,SD is on watchwinder Orbita.

Mike
Rolexsd4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 12:49 PM   #4
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

hmmm...maybe i should just go back to my friend......

i think i'll stop by and ask them the rules of the road BEFORE they do anything, and thank you!
Old 1 April 2009, 02:25 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I was told recently by Rolex HQ in NYC that they will only regulate an out-of-warranty watch as part of a full service, which can get very pricey, of course. So, if you're within COSC specs, I'd leave it alone until you actually need a Rolex service.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Guys, thanks! I was at the Rolex Service Center today in NYC, and it was as everyone here said(but they denied on the phone), you need a full service before they regulate, and they make you do a lot of stuff, which I think is questionable. I'm not sure who to trust anymore, and believe me, if I was near Vanessa, she'd be the ONLY person to touch any watch of mine.
Old 2 April 2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

No surprise that the info you got from RSC NYC was incorrect. Lot of that going around. My local guy regulates mine at no charge but I have to leave it with him for a few days.
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
Dan

You may try H.L Gross out in Garden City on Long Island/ They have a very good and certified watch maker on premise ,I think he is there 2 days aweek. He can regulte the watch.Do not talk to the sales staff.Talk to him directly. The staff will recommend --you guessed it to RSC of NY..Try giving them a call.PM me and i'll give you their number.

Mike
Rolexsd4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Lol-x
Facilitator

There is no such thing as a GMT II 1675, unless you are in Thailand and go to one of those discrete shops where they have 'genuine replicas'.

Good one Dan

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2009, 03:36 AM   #10
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
Guys, thanks! I was at the Rolex Service Center today in NYC, and it was as everyone here said(but they denied on the phone), you need a full service before they regulate, and they make you do a lot of stuff, which I think is questionable. I'm not sure who to trust anymore, and believe me, if I was near Vanessa, she'd be the ONLY person to touch any watch of mine.
Send it Registered Mail. It's the safest way
Old 3 April 2009, 03:55 AM   #11
pdxrolex
"TRF" Member

My AD will regulate for me if necessary for free. Find yourself a good watchmaker and be very nice!
pdxrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2009, 04:01 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Might want to investigate a local watchmaker w/ a Rolex parts account. My watchmaker will regulate, change bezel inserts, all while I wait and at no charge.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote