The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 October 2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
YachtMaster 42 WG 226659 - Opinions?

Anyone own YM42 in WG? What's the general consensus regarding this model? I think it's bit expensive for its worth but I like the size. Lemme know your opinions.

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 08:48 AM   #2
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Love it. I guess the general views will be that it is the most wanted YM (not that this means much, if compared to the popularity levels of the Subs and Daytonas).
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Tele59
"TRF" Member

I really like this and the rose gold 40. For something a bit less common than the ubiquitous sub or Datona, it would seem like a great choice, especially if you already have other "horses" in the stable.
Tele59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:19 AM   #4
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
I honestly love the shape of the YM and Daytona cases. I think that it works in 42 just fine. And that may be my favorite bezel in the entire Rolex collection other than the BLNR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Prefer the 40 mm rose gold.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:30 AM   #6
tanask211
"TRF" Member

Why bother about what others think of it? Is anyone helping you to pay for it? The 42 WG YM is damn cool piece to own as its rather unique unlike the sub which seems to be like every one has one or a few in their collection. This WG piece definitely stands out in the crowd. I just love the trendy look of the watch with the rubber strap.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:57 AM   #7
Doood
"TRF" Member

I really dig it on rubber, but kinda wish there was a bracelet option.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:59 AM   #8
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD531 View Post
I honestly love the shape of the YM and Daytona cases. I think that it works in 42 just fine. And that may be my favorite bezel in the entire Rolex collection other than the BLNR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...and I agree with all of this.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 12:18 PM   #9
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Awesome watch would love to have one. Larger wrist size then definitely go for it.
Old 17 October 2020, 12:21 PM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I really like it - just wish there was a bracelet option, although of course price would leap up accordingly. A steel version would be a smash, but prob too much of an incursion into Sub territory. Perhaps a steel/Pt version on an Oyster bracelet will appear at some point... I can dream
Old 17 October 2020, 12:42 PM   #11
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
I chose the rose gold version because of the case size. Oysterflex Yachtmasters fly way under the radar.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 12:52 PM   #12
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myc ritz View Post
I chose the rose gold version because of the case size. Oysterflex Yachtmasters fly way under the radar.
My rose gold Oysterflex YM gets noticed more than any other watch because the bezel edges catch the light and reflect it like diamonds, especially indoor lighting.

I think the WG one is very nice and will probably sail under the radar better than the rose gold version.

I'd like to see a full white gold bracelet though, then it will look like the early 5512/13 Subs.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:40 PM   #13
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Awesome watch but....way too high to me. When the pictures first leaked last year I was hoping against hope that it would be SS. An SS version of this at $13K would sell like hotcakes but for whatever reason Rolex so far has kept Oysterflex only in PM and it seems sometimes too like they randomly limit things like the 42mm case to one version and not across the model line.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:51 PM   #14
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I like the rose gold version a lot...
Old 17 October 2020, 01:51 PM   #15
scrappy
"TRF" Member

YachtMaster 42 WG 226659 - Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Awesome watch but....way too high to me. When the pictures first leaked last year I was hoping against hope that it would be SS. An SS version of this at $13K would sell like hotcakes but for whatever reason Rolex so far has kept Oysterflex only in PM and it seems sometimes too like they randomly limit things like the 42mm case to one version and not across the model line.

The watch wouldn’t feel right in SS. It needs a heavy (PM) case and clasp to make the oysterflex bracelet ‘sit’ properly in my opinion.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:03 PM   #16
tanask211
"TRF" Member

The YM42 was designed as a higher league watch and distinguish itself from the Submariners and GMTs. By issuing a bracelet or SS case will defeat its original purpose. There are already enough choices available in the SS range.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:21 PM   #17
is2018
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG YM
I bought the rose gold version of it literally today.

I did think long and hard of the WG because bigger case, etc.

However the rose gold is extremely hard to describe and understand in pictures and there was no way I was going to let it go.

Great choice either way.

Amazing watches.
is2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:33 PM   #18
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Nice package overall. Especially the bezel. But I skipped it. Tried a couple of times and looks a bit disproportionate on the wrist. Looks bigger due to height of case and in addition Oysterflex does not snug well over my wrist, which is 6.5 and fits comfortably even 45 mm watches. One of my dailies is 116660 for example. So my advice would be not to buy unless you try it and see how it fits.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 03:50 PM   #19
JodyHighroller
Banned

I think it’s a great piece and will add it eventually after I pick up a Daytona on OF next. I decided to go for the 126655 over the YM42 because I couldn’t warm up to WG looking so similar to SS, and especially at that price tag. I’ve warmed up to WG now.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 04:22 PM   #20
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Rose gold 40 for me
Old 17 October 2020, 04:30 PM   #21
LDN
"TRF" Member

Mehhhh! Paying close to 30k for watches on Michelin Tires just does not seem right!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 05:36 PM   #22
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm a YM fan and I own the 116622 platinum dial. I wouldn't buy the YM42 in WG but could give it a try in SS. I have the feeling Rolex will make it in steel sooner or later like they did with the Pepsi and SkyD. The YM is already niche as it is, factor in the precious metal and I very much doubt Rolex are selling many of these. It's got stainless steel written all over it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 05:54 PM   #23
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love this reference. I don't know if I'll ever own one, but I love the bezel, love the size, and love that it seems to kind of fly under the radar a bit.
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 07:11 PM   #24
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I’ve had the 42mm for six months; love it. For me, the best looking watch Rolex currently make. While quite large, it’s also slim and quite sleek. Nothing obtrusive or attention grabbing. And beautifully restrained compared with the rose gold, a more elegant watch (to my eyes).
And you don’t see any others around, which I also like. So, in a weird way, I hope it doesn’t become very popular.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 08:10 PM   #25
Warwick14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126655, CHNR, BLNR
I have the rose gold 40 and it’s one of my favourites. The OF is so comfortable- especially during the summer when I find the SS/TT bracelets too much. I’m now waiting for the WG Daytona on OF. I don’t get the arguments that it’s too expensive because of the lack of PM in the bracelet - various other threads explain how little the gold is actually worth...
Warwick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:55 PM   #26
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
This is the watch I keep daydreaming about but I'll probably never be able justify spending the $ on it. It's so sleek and understated, and I'm guessing it has real heft to it with the WG case and clasp. But I also just can't see spending 30k for a watch that has only subtle aesthetic differences from a watch I could get (and recently did) for 10: putting the new 41mm Sub on a black rubber strap... it's not the same bezel and there are slight differences in proportion, I get that. But are they $20k differences, even accounting for precious metal value? If they dropped the price for this piece to $18 (which would still be stupid, don't get me wrong), I'd... be on a list with a bunch of other chumps.

To put this all another way: if I wasn't in a position where money really mattered to me, this is probably the first watch I'd buy and maybe the only one I'd own.

Not my pics, so I'll post as links, but do a side-by-side:

YM White Gold
Sub on black Everest Rubber

Again, there are differences that a WIS would spot if standing closer than 3 feet away. Just not sure they're worth it... to me.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:55 PM   #27
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN View Post
Mehhhh! Paying close to 30k for watches on Michelin Tires just does not seem right!

Agreed. It is a great looking watch, but I could not get over paying that kind of money without the PM bracelet.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:11 PM   #28
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

Local AD had one recently that was waiting to be picked up. That watch is stunning. Would jump if ever offered to me.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:57 PM   #29
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Tried it on at the AD, 42 mm size for me is perfect for a Rolex on a strap. Love the watch, but the price tag of € 28K I can not justify for a gold Rolex on a plastic strap.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:33 AM   #30
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

A gold Rolex on a gold bracelet costs a great deal more. Just look-up and compare the prices. The Oysterflex prices are in line with other Rolex models. Especially when you factor-in the gold adjustable, clasp. In fact, Rolex charge only a few hundred dollars for the actual rubber straps.
Which for Rolex is not too bad.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote