The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18 October 2020, 01:27 AM   #31
banditracing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Not agreeing with everything he said but this notion that people who want to leave can’t “make it” in nyc is so tired. I have been in Manhattan for 20 years and want something new. The thought of living in one place for my entire life is a stunning lack of imagination.
I think it’s more about if you harshly judge New York as a place to live, having never lived there or not currently living there - that is when one is probably just bitter about not being able to hack it in the big city. That dude clearly doesn’t get New York, his description couldn’t be further from reality (it moreso sounds like a description of Times Square). If you live here and decide to move, I don’t think that means you can’t make it here. Clearly you made it for 20 years, haha. People’s priorities change.

All that being said - it’s different, but it is still a functioning city with a lot of heart and soul. And I absolutely love it here. It’s been a tough 6 months for the city, but the general vibe here is great compared to March/April. Tons of outdoor dining and folks out and about trying to enjoy life in our weird, new reality.
Old 18 October 2020, 01:31 AM   #32
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
The city will fine. Most of the doom and gloom for nyc are coming from people who don’t even live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
You sound like the type that can’t really make it in NYC

It’s the capital of the world my friend

^^^this

Fin
Old 18 October 2020, 02:04 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Dis-satisfaction and unrest are pretty prevalent these days as we shuffle through the pandemic.

Almost everywhere people are looking for change and social connection.

Making life changing decisions right now are emotional ones rather than intellectual ones and probably not a great time to make them.

Hang in there.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:27 AM   #34
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The city will fine. Most of the doom and gloom for nyc are coming from people who don’t even live here.

Unless you own a restaurant. I feel for those people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 October 2020, 04:33 AM   #35
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I visit almost every year but I never stepped inside a theatre for a play or a musical and I love restaurants but I could live on burgers and hotdogs for months so I just want to go back as soon as I can.
Old 18 October 2020, 06:16 AM   #36
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

My view is that the city has been getting rougher, dirtier and functioning less well long long before COVID. I have no intention of leaving but when friends talk about returning it’s something I highlight to them.

There has been a uptick of petty crime, muggings etc over a number of years. What’s happened more recently has hit headlines but it was creeping up long before this.

I don’t feel as safe in the city as I did 7-10 years ago. And the city doesn’t work as well as it did 7-10 years ago (infrastructure, subways, roads etc).
Old 18 October 2020, 06:28 AM   #37
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
The City will be fine. The average lifespan of a restaurant was already a dismal statistic. Not to minimize the financial failure of the people involved, but this cycle will correct and the sails will fill again. The people who have wanted to leave for years will be replaced by the next ready and willing resident when they finally do. In the meantime while prices falter, Strike. 3-5 years out will be more then corrected.

What has happened in my area (rocky mountain city) is: Cabins and recreational vehicle sales have gone through the roof! Banks and credit unions have been breaking financing records for second homes and RV/Boats. If you're looking for a ski cabin right now, it's a bidding war. We luckily started construction on two housing projects 8 months ago in Park City which just hit its highest median home price ever. 15-20% up from last year.

The individuals who are packing up their city homes and moving to the country/mountains are the same type who traded in their Escalade for a Mini Cooper when gas hit $4.00 a gallon in 2009. Missing the mathematical irony in taking a $30k bath on the Cadillac.

Some guy said once “Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” Seems to work geographically as well.
Old 18 October 2020, 07:43 AM   #38
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I'm actually working on moving to Manhattan, haha.
Well - as soon as we go back to normal life.
Old 18 October 2020, 07:52 AM   #39
Nyceqx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ36
I think the city will be fine long-term, but I left NYC permanently in April for a job I accepted in December, pre-covid. If the job was right I’d consider going back in the future, but I’m happy to have some space and some more freedom.
Old 18 October 2020, 08:10 AM   #40
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Absent a bale out from the federal government the city will not be fine. Major drivers of $$ in the city are tourism, real estate, arts, service sectors, none of which are coming back soon. Mta is a state issue but still needs a massive bale out or it will need massive cuts. Math is math.
Old 18 October 2020, 09:25 AM   #41
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Would love to discuss this, Jaime, but.....Ibtl
I admit when I am wrong
Old 18 October 2020, 09:58 AM   #42
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I admit when I am wrong
As long as everyone keeps it within the guardrails, all is good.
Old 18 October 2020, 10:57 AM   #43
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
You are probably right. The City is the city.
Old 18 October 2020, 11:07 AM   #44
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Peaks and valleys to everything.

The city was still awesome, if not a bit scary, prior to Giuliani.

If it goes through a tough period, do be it. I personally believe it will. And I’ll most certainly be taking the risk and buying a place. If I can get the scratch together for the right place.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 18 October 2020, 11:34 AM   #45
PackPride
"TRF" Member

From an outsider- I’ve averaged 6 trips a year to Manhattan for the last 15 years. I will be very disappointed if it does come back to the place i have grown to love.
Old 18 October 2020, 01:35 PM   #46
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
My view is that the city has been getting rougher, dirtier and functioning less well long long before COVID. I have no intention of leaving but when friends talk about returning it’s something I highlight to them.

There has been a uptick of petty crime, muggings etc over a number of years. What’s happened more recently has hit headlines but it was creeping up long before this.

I don’t feel as safe in the city as I did 7-10 years ago. And the city doesn’t work as well as it did 7-10 years ago (infrastructure, subways, roads etc).
I would have to agree with you, Jay. The deterioration of things has been slow but steady. All I have to say is I hadn’t thought of our previous mayor as a genius, but our current mayor’s performance makes a convincing argument to the contrary.😉
Old 18 October 2020, 02:07 PM   #47
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
The City needs a vaccine and outstanding leadership.

Then, everything will work itself out over time.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 18 October 2020, 05:05 PM   #48
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
You sound like the type that can’t really make it in NYC
It’s the capital of the world my friend, tell my family who landed in Ellis island and never left that the current state will be its demise and they will chuckle at your jokes. Have a good weekend pal.
Can't really make it? Ha, I have been working in NYC for 30 years and still do, I have also lived there for 40 years. I have more than made it.

What made NYC great was the hustle and bustle of so many people packed together...and that is precisely what is killing NYC - having all those people packed together. Today, it is a recipe for death.

Another problem is that NYC became a dump long before Covid-19. Garbage all over the place, homeless sleeping anywhere they want (now they are in luxury hotels- imagine that?) the smell of drugs always in the air. It's awful really. The drug addicts in the parks look like they are trying out for a zombie role in The Walking Dead. Crime is up and nobody can seem to stop it. The police better look the other way if they hope to keep their jobs.

So what is left of NYC today? All the unique beautiful boutique stores along the avenues have vanished, the great "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants are all but gone, the legendary hotels are folding up. Even the big chain stores are all packing up. Broadway/theatres is also shut down. The public school system is completely out of control and the police are disrespected with people callously throwing water bottles at them with impunity. Even the annual New Years Eve Ball drop is cancelled.

Yet with all that, it's still very expensive: Sales tax is 9%, a parking ticket is $115, Lincoln Tunnel is $15 (cash), Train fare is $2.75 one way and a one-bedroom roach infested hell-hole is going to cost you about $2k per month or more. How lovely.

However, New Jersey real estate is up 20% with the average home selling in a week. Can you guess why? Because people who live in cramped NYC buildings want personal space now. They don't want to risk their lives living in buildings and sharing elevators with people who might be infected with Covid-19. Wearing a mask is not enough in NYC because it does not protect your eyes and most people are not wearing goggles.

In Brooklyn - Orthodox communities don't even bother wearing a mask and if you ask them why they will tell you "we already had the virus". Maybe they have herd immunity now but what about everybody else?

My company is now going to be moving our offices out of mid-town NYC to Morristown NJ and we all have the option to work from home permanently. That is music to my ears.

There is no mayor in the world who can fix NYC today. It is just too far gone and one mayor can't manage it. Maybe, just maybe if they elected a dedicated mayor for each of the five boroughs it would have a fighting chance, because then, each respective mayor could focus on his borough and fight for it. But that will never happen in NYC due to stupid politics.

So, is NYC still the capital of the world? Well, maybe in your world. My world... not so much.
Old 18 October 2020, 06:42 PM   #49
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
It’s the capital of the world my friend
Guess you didn’t travel a lot