The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 October 2020, 09:52 AM   #31
rolexonlywatch
Banned

Watch: DJ2 41mm Winbledon
I lost interest when there are waiting lists for all stainless steel professional watches, DJ2 and the new oyster perpetual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rolexonlywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:54 AM   #32
the_natural
"TRF" Member

I gave up on them over a year ago.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:04 AM   #33
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Every time I got into other brands I always came back. Rolex only for me other than my NOMOS dress watch which I only see me wearing 5 more times my entire life. Not that I don’t like it, but for me not to have a Rolex on just feels wrong.
Old 18 October 2020, 10:05 AM   #34
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
The robust resale market is precisely why I buy Rolex. Rolex gives me both an exit strategy and leverage towards other pieces. I have dozens of other far less expensive watches but if I’m spending real money it’s on Rolex.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:08 AM   #35
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'm a bit bored of watches in general but that will pass I'm sure.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:14 AM   #36
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
I, poor fool, thought this hobby was supposed to be enjoyable. I stand corrected.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:16 AM   #37
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

Probably because most people approach the watch hobby incorrectly. They buy the hype models in an incredibly short term to satisfy their desire then they feel empty because they bought those watches for the wrong reasons and never truly liked them.

Buy what you like and not what others tell you to like.

Stop buying Rolex because people are telling you to buy. There are plenty of other brands out there. Don’t follow the hype.
GMT Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:24 AM   #38
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I have a few more Rolexes that I would love to get, but the fact that I can't see them in person really takes the fun out of it. I want a YM, but not sure whether the 37 or 40. Simple matter of trying them both on, then buying the one I like? No of course not. Can't see them in person, gotta get on a waiting list. And then if you DO take a chance on picking one, wait 5 months, and it's not the size that looks good. Then you've wasted your time, wasted the ADs time, and really it just sucks the fun out of it.

I'm looking into Omega now. Wanted to decide between two of the Speedmasters, and was shocked to find out I could just go into the local store an SEE THEM, TRY THEM ON, and THEN decide if I want to buy any. How much more satisfying is that? I still love Rolex and still lust after several of them, but I don't see being able to get them any time soon, and I'm tired of the games, as others have said.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:29 AM   #39
bcat37645
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, 116610LN
I know what you mean...the last three watches I purchased were not Rolex...two Omega, and one Tudor...but I do acknowledge the new OPs are gorgeous...will be getting the ms a turquoise at some point.
bcat37645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:30 AM   #40
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The only way to lower demand is if more people get bored of Rolex. So I can only hope it becomes a trend. Else it'll be too difficult for me to score another beautiful piece from one of my local ADs.
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:36 AM   #41
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Oh ye of little faith. What is going on with Rolex supply and demand while frustrating is still interesting IMO. I’ve been into the hobby since the 70s and have most of what I want if I’m never able to get another. I’ll hang in awhile longer.
Old 18 October 2020, 10:44 AM   #42
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Maybe it's just the forums but seeing the same 4 watches over and over everyday does make it a bit boring.

If I got the call for the new sub I'd be excited but it wouldn't feel special at all; just a good watch to try out.

If GS unveiled their new 9RA5 movement in a new slim elegant sports or heritage model I'd be way more interested in that and it would feel much more special. I'd probably have the only one in town compared to the 100's of submariners.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:45 AM   #43
IR201
"TRF" Member

So it’s not fun anymore once you’ve got everything you want? Got it

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:45 AM   #44
Jim Beam
Banned

Watch: 116503
The AD games are definitely a turn off for me and I also refuse to participate in the grey market. So, yeah, that doesn't make it very fun.

I managed to get a 116503 at MSRP and I'd like a Milgauss because I'm a scientist in my career. But if the Milgauss takes a while - or never comes - that might be OK and I might be done with this hobby. I have no interest in more waiting lists and "shadow games" with Rolex supply lines. I'll just start using my watch money to save up for a 911 instead
Jim Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:54 AM   #45
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Freak View Post
Probably because most people approach the watch hobby incorrectly. They buy the hype models in an incredibly short term to satisfy their desire then they feel empty because they bought those watches for the wrong reasons and never truly liked them.

Buy what you like and not what others tell you to like.

Stop buying Rolex because people are telling you to buy. There are plenty of other brands out there. Don’t follow the hype.

Thanks!

seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:56 AM   #46
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Maybe bored wasn’t the best way to describe it. The brand is starting to feel very homogenous. Before anyone says “hey it’s always been like that”, what I mean is it use to feel that they stood up for keeping things simple now somehow it got uber trendy and that for me is starting to really push me away from wanting to own this brand.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:11 AM   #47
Plebs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
Anyone else getting bored of the brand? Rolex has been on a hype train these past few years and I get it. They make a great SS luxury watch that quite a few people aspire to own. I think for myself, I own what I want and don’t really see myself buying another Rolex anytime soon.

Curious how many others feel the same

Not bored but I think that’s because I like other brands also.

Plebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:16 AM   #48
Goin2drt
Banned

Not bored, tired.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:18 AM   #49
Arid
"TRF" Member

Just need to change things up a little. Put away all my current models and I’ve been one happy camper since rediscovering my 5 series.
Arid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:19 AM   #50
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I have all the watches I need.

I do sometimes think of consolidating, but given lack of availability at AD's for new SS models, won't happen anytime soon. Not interested in paying above list for any Rolex model.

Also, waiting for the 32xx movements to get more field life before potentially switching from the 31xx movements. Love that my Tudor is the ETA movement-- not moving that model anytime soon.

Some of the fun has gone out of it for me. Used to visit AD's across the country and try on the newer models. Haven't been able to do that in few years. No availability.
Old 18 October 2020, 11:19 AM   #51
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
thanks!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
😂😂😂😂
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:21 AM   #52
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
If the resale was as good on Omega, Grand Seiko, etc... I'd be all over their watches. Far more interesting/advanced models.
I'll stick with Rolex for now.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:23 AM   #53
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I’m right there with you. It has nothing to do with Rolex. I have a Daytona, hulk, Pepsi, ap rooo, patek nautilus. I’m simply tired of spending so much energy on the hobby. I have what I want and hassle of acquiring new pieces is not worth it anymore. I’ve seen others on the forum ask “but are you having fun?” The truth is that it was fun for a long time, but it recently stopped being fun. The idea of continuing to spend time, energy and money on dealer relationships is not appealing anymore. I would still like to get a white face Daytona and brand new Patek nautilus, but I already own a gold Daytona and a vintage nautilus. The amount of BS I would need to go through to get the other 2 watches makes me not even want them anymore. Anyway, I’m just tired even thinking about buying watches. I have more than what I need and I’m just going to enjoy what I have unless I sprout 12 more arms or something.

I feel you. What used to be fun is now more so annoying.

Old 18 October 2020, 11:24 AM   #54
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Bored of Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
I have all the watches I need.

I do sometimes think of consolidating, but given lack of availability at AD's for new SS models, won't happen anytime soon. Not interested in paying above list for any Rolex model.

Also, waiting for the 32xx movements to get more field life before potentially switching from the 31xx movements. Love that my Tudor is the ETA movement-- not moving that model anytime soon.

Some of the fun has gone out of it for me. Used to visit AD's across the country and try on the newer models. Haven't been able to do that in few years. No availability.

That 39 mm Tudor blue diver is looking pretty sweet. At the price.....forget about it, serious value!

My current Rolex lineup is not like most of the heavy hitters on this board. My humble collection consists of a BLNR, LVC and a LNC. My feelings for this brand started to shift this year. Like I said they’re just starting to feel homogeneous and trendy which is really starting to turn me off. At the end of the day, maybe I’m not the consumer Rolex is looking for.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:26 AM   #55
aayates
"TRF" Member

+ 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abre View Post
+1

why have watches no one can buy at retail?
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:26 AM   #56
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I’m right there with you. It has nothing to do with Rolex. I have a Daytona, hulk, Pepsi, ap rooo, patek nautilus. I’m simply tired of spending so much energy on the hobby. I have what I want and hassle of acquiring new pieces is not worth it anymore. I’ve seen others on the forum ask “but are you having fun?” The truth is that it was fun for a long time, but it recently stopped being fun. The idea of continuing to spend time, energy and money on dealer relationships is not appealing anymore. I would still like to get a white face Daytona and brand new Patek nautilus, but I already own a gold Daytona and a vintage nautilus. The amount of BS I would need to go through to get the other 2 watches makes me not even want them anymore. Anyway, I’m just tired even thinking about buying watches. I have more than what I need and I’m just going to enjoy what I have unless I sprout 12 more arms or something.
One of the most insightful and honest posts I've ever read on TRF. Your candor us a delightful change and I agree with you 100%. A hobby, by it's very. existence *needs* to be enjoyable and fun. When it becomes 'work'....time for a change.

Great post

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:29 AM   #57
AndrewMeadville
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP39, DJ36, BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
I was reading and article on the top 55 watch brands by Luxe Digital today. Rolex is #1. I spent a couple hours looking at options for my next purchase.

We all know that Rolex brings so many aspects to the luxury watch experience that their ranking is deserved. Rolex forums are always #1 in participation.

However, even the most loyal Rolex owners have a couple other brands in their collection.

Here’s Luxe’s list of the top 55 by rank.

1. Rolex
2. Patek Philippe
3. Audemars Piguet
4. A.Lange & Söhne
5. Omega
6. Blancpain
7. IWC Schaffhausen
8. Jaeger-LeCoultre
9. Chopard
10. Piaget
11. Cartier
12. Vacheron Constantin
13. Montblanc
14. Ulysse Nardin
15. Panerai
16. Girard-Perregaux
17. Hublot
18. Bulgari
19. NOMOS Glashütte
20. Vincero
21. Breitling
22. Bremont
23. TAG Heuer
24. Baume & Mercier
25. Rado
26. Maurice Lacroix
27. Roger Dubuis
28. F.P.Journe
29. Tiffany & Co.
30. Louis Vuitton
31. Bamford
32. Zenith
33. Bell & Ross
34. Arnold & Son
35. Tudor
36. Alpina
37. Seiko
38. Jaquet Droz
39. Laurent Ferrier
40. Hamilton
41. Longines
42.Maurice de Mauriac
43. Parmigiani Fleurier
44. Gucci
45. Weiss
46. Armani
47. Tissot
48. Van Cleef & Arpels
49.Junghans
50. Bulova
51. Bovet Fleurier
52. Oris
53. Armin Strom
54. Ressence
55. Carl F. Bucherer

F.P.Journe At #28!?! What a joke! They make million dollar one of a kind pieces of art.
AndrewMeadville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:34 AM   #58
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
I have two Rolex and also don't like all the recent hype and prices out of control. Been looking at the Omega AT for a change of pace. They have a nice selection with many options of dials and bands. Maybe Santa will bring me one...
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:41 AM   #59
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Mentally checked out with no Breguet on the list. When I first started getting into watches Breguet appealed to me and more I learned about the man the myth the more I liked them.

Their emaile and hand engraved dial stuff is rad.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:42 AM   #60
IR201
"TRF" Member

So years ago Rolex subs were how much? 2k? Now we get excited about tudors at 4K? So Rolex has got us excited at a lesser product for more $$. Joke is on us I’m sure.

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote