The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 October 2020, 12:03 PM   #31
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
OP, sorry you missed the deal. No worries, plenty of fish in the sea. Good luck and have a great weekend everyone!
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:11 PM   #32
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
That is the main concern about the P. This will sound crazy, but I went through literally every outfit I had. I asked myself what are the top 3 watches I'd wear, assuming I had a 5170P, 5170G, 1815 chrono in RG, and the three rolexes I currently own, assigning 3 points to the first choice, 2 to the second, and one for the third. In order, it was the 1815 Chrono in red gold, my 1803, then Sub, then Daytona, then 5170G, then 5170P (with the P earning less than half the points of the next lowest performer, the 5170G). Which confirmed that I think I would get the least wear out of it. For a person of limited means (mind you, one who could still afford a $100k watch collection), an inverse relationship between cost and wear is just bad sense. No matter how much I love a watch.

Agreed. I like the idea of spending based on how much you will use the item. If you just need a nice watch for once in a while you can get something used for cheap and spend on something that’ll see more wrist time. Not comparable to Patek, but when I needed something dressier, I got an IWC in platinum with a JLC 889/1 for 6k (the exact watch linked below, on sale, now on brown strap). I don’t wear it that much, but I enjoy it when I do and and don’t feel bad when I don’t since I didn’t commit that much to get it. If dropping 85k, I’d want something I could use all the time. Especially with a small collection like yours. You’re basically committing yourself to wearing your other pieces (minus the Daytona if you needed to sell) the majority of the time by going with the P. Again, just my opinion. If I had unlimited funds, my analysis would be different.

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/pre...-VIW01867.html
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:40 AM   #33
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghansen2007 View Post
I read an article that suggested - as Dr Process says-that when making a hard decision you should flip a a coin. If you're happy with the result of the coin toss, then you go with it. On the other hand, if you find yourself unhappy with the toss and questioning why you'd leave an important decision to a coin flip in the first place, then you should go with the other choice. It's a good way to suss out what you really want.
Now that my conscious brain knows this trick, I'll never be able to flip a coin innocently again
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:43 PM   #34
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is the main concern about the P. This will sound crazy, but I went through literally every outfit I had. I asked myself what are the top 3 watches I'd wear, assuming I had a 5170P, 5170G, 1815 chrono in RG, and the three rolexes I currently own, assigning 3 points to the first choice, 2 to the second, and one for the third. In order, it was the 1815 Chrono in red gold, my 1803, then Sub, then Daytona, then 5170G, then 5170P (with the P earning less than half the points of the next lowest performer, the 5170G). Which confirmed that I think I would get the least wear out of it. For a person of limited means (mind you, one who could still afford a $100k watch collection), an inverse relationship between cost and wear is just bad sense. No matter how much I love a watch.
If you hang out in the Patek forum long enough, you will realize that there is indeed a real inverse relationship between how much a watch is worth and how often you wear the watch.

Plenty of threads describing how since the price of a 5711/1A shot up to 2-3x retail over a few years, those who purchased the watch at retail and used to wear it regularly all of a sudden stop wearing the watch. The reasons vary, whether it is to keep it in good condition for possible resale or people feeling more conscious of wearing a $30k watch vs a $70k market price watch on a daily basis.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:02 PM   #35
Justindo
"TRF" Member

While I generally much prefer platinum to white gold due to the heft and brilliance of the metal and while the blue dial on the platinum version is very nice, I personally really dislike the diamonds, although that's a personal preference. Even if one did like the diamonds, nearly double the price for the platinum version over the gold version is a lot of coin unless money is not really an object, which does not seem to be the case with you. It also seems like the white gold version would fit your lifestyle better. Personally, I would much rather have both a 5170 in gold an a Lange 1815 Chronograph in gold than a 5170 in platinum.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:49 PM   #36
sgwatch
"TRF" Member

I actually prefer the white 5170G. I've seen it on various straps.

P is very nice too.
sgwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 03:30 PM   #37
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
While I generally much prefer platinum to white gold due to the heft and brilliance of the metal and while the blue dial on the platinum version is very nice, I personally really dislike the diamonds, although that's a personal preference. Even if one did like the diamonds, nearly double the price for the platinum version over the gold version is a lot of coin unless money is not really an object, which does not seem to be the case with you. It also seems like the white gold version would fit your lifestyle better. Personally, I would much rather have both a 5170 in gold an a Lange 1815 Chronograph in gold than a 5170 in platinum.

It’s funny because I feel ‘poor’ bringing money into the equation! I feel like the G is a second rate watch, but it’s really quite stunning in its own right. I think it’s more elegant and timeless, despite the P being so so so fetching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 November 2020, 02:48 AM   #38
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

Go with the P, then strap on a blue/gray Patek strap, and wear it with shorts and tee shirt, jeans and a polo, or a suit.
This combo is exquisite. Bravo!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:30 AM   #39
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
This combo is exquisite. Bravo!

Thanks, my friend.
Old 3 November 2020, 07:17 AM   #40
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
5170P is a beautiful dressy watch, but at the same time breaks with everything of what a Manual Patek Chrono should be in my eyes. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it just base on that but it is a factor to consider.
I think 5170G white dial is a great deal on the grey market if you are buyer. Plus It respects the outer scales (1/2) that chrono pateks are known for and the dial is so beautifully clean. Its really a hard temptation for the price. Probably not good if you want a sell though
cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 08:13 AM   #41
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
i am not going to deny the lure of the platinum with diamond markers, but also the WG white dial with Breguet numerals and pulsation dial is very rare

Old 3 November 2020, 01:46 PM   #42
mattg6
"TRF" Member

Go with the P, then strap on a blue/gray Patek strap, and wear it with shorts and tee shirt, jeans and a polo, or a suit.[/QUOTE]

Where’s that strap from?
mattg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 01:50 PM   #43
infinitywatches
Banned

Watch: Rolex 228238
Quote:
It’s funny because I feel ‘poor’ bringing money into the equation! I feel like the G is a second rate watch, but it’s really quite stunning in its own right. I think it’s more elegant and timeless, despite the P being so so so fetching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know that feeling. They're both really nice with little between them.
You should actually go for what fits your wrist more and you know you'll always love without the influence of others.

Then you've made your peace.
infinitywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 02:56 AM   #44
niqui7ladoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm debating between two 5170s; the P ($85kUSD) and the white-dialed G ($45k). I've been drooling over the P for months and have heard the impassioned pleas of contributors here that the P is the end all, be all of the 5170. I finally saw them both side-by-side at Michael Ashton in NYC yesterday. But, the closer I get to pulling the trigger, I'm leaning G...Here's some rationale.

The P is objectively a far more beautiful watch, truly one of the best looking pieces I've ever seen. But, it's VERY dressy and I would argue that strap changes won't affect that much. My sense is I'd own it, worship it, but reach for it maybe once or twice a month. I work in tech and almost never wear a suit.

The G, while more plain, is more wearable. The Breguet numerals give the dial some warmth, and it's a strap monster. Seems like it could easily be dressed up or down.

Summarily, I think I lust after the P but the G would give more long term ownership satisfaction.

My collection is small (I have a 1803 Day Date, 1680, and a 116500LN), and this is my first Patek. Truthfully, I might have to sell the Daytona to afford the P. At my income level, $85k is a great deal to allocate to one watch that I think, despite it being the most beautiful watch I've ever seen, won't wear as much. Still...it's so stunningly gorgeous.

My questions are these:
- 5170P or G owners: do you wear the watch often? Does it look harmonious with a variety of dress colors and styles?
- Is it better to own the best possible piece and not wear it or get more use out of something that is a little less desirable but more flexible?

I think the G is far more daily-able and more of a strap monster for sure. The P is more special as you know. I personally was always a black G or P guy on the 5170 but the pricing on the white and casual look with so many straps make it interesting to me as well. While I can't offer much help, the one thing I can say is that when I go into a purchase thinking the item is simply "too expensive" I almost always fail to enjoy it fully ... it just sours the experience. I know when I bought my openworked grey for 50% more than I wanted to, it somewhat sullied the ownership experience. So if you are going to have the price on your mind and have to lose 25% of your collection for it, that may kill the experience.

Also, it seems like you know how to shop around judging by the 45k number you quoted on the white 5170G ... so I think you should shop around a bit more on the 5170p, I have been regularly offered them for quite a bit less than 85k (full set, no drama).

Nick
niqui7ladoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 03:20 AM   #45
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui7ladoo View Post
I think the G is far more daily-able and more of a strap monster for sure. The P is more special as you know. I personally was always a black G or P guy on the 5170 but the pricing on the white and casual look with so many straps make it interesting to me as well. While I can't offer much help, the one thing I can say is that when I go into a purchase thinking the item is simply "too expensive" I almost always fail to enjoy it fully ... it just sours the experience. I know when I bought my openworked grey for 50% more than I wanted to, it somewhat sullied the ownership experience. So if you are going to have the price on your mind and have to lose 25% of your collection for it, that may kill the experience.

Also, it seems like you know how to shop around judging by the 45k number you quoted on the white 5170G ... so I think you should shop around a bit more on the 5170p, I have been regularly offered them for quite a bit less than 85k (full set, no drama).

Nick

Fully agreed on all of the above. I'm OK waiting to make sure I'm 100% on the right watch; patience is key. I want to put aside another $20-40k and see how I feel then. With that much more in the post-purchase savings, I'm curious how it'll work out. I don't want to sell the Daytona; it fills a great role of badass sports watch in the collection.

Honestly, though - the more I look at the G, the more I really love it. The side profile - the numerals glisten in the light. It's really something special in its own right. The P - truly beautiful - but I can't personally find myself wearing it all that much. The reason I want to wait...when you glance down, and the diamonds glint in the light, and the blue degrade...also very, very special.
Old 8 November 2020, 02:15 AM   #46
ragsk
Banned

Does anyone know the UK list price of the 5170P when it was still being produced?
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 05:54 AM   #47
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Does anyone know the UK list price of the 5170P when it was still being produced?
Retail was $96k USD. Today, you can find a like new one between $78-88k USD.
Old 29 November 2020, 06:39 AM   #48
charlie2888
"TRF" Member

5170 with the P dial and G Breguet numerals would be absolutely perfect...
charlie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:14 PM   #49
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Just over £73K
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote