The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 November 2020, 04:56 PM   #1
TankTom
Banned

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one who kind of likes the fact that most rolex models are difficult to obtain at RRP?

Surely if all of our favourite models were able to be purchased right away and by anyone, we would be less interested in acquiring them in the first place?

Gotta love the chase I say!
Old 22 November 2020, 05:04 PM   #2
ChugachEagle
"TRF" Member

Absolutely with you. Much more fun this way.
Old 22 November 2020, 05:08 PM   #3
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
Am I the only one who kind of likes the fact that most rolex models are difficult to obtain at RRP?

Surely if all of our favourite models were able to be purchased right away and by anyone, we would be less interested in acquiring them in the first place?

I agree tbh
Old 22 November 2020, 05:17 PM   #4
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
That's just bonkers

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
Old 22 November 2020, 05:22 PM   #5
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Take out the price then sure. I love hunting for watches but the empty cases at the AD's and scalper grey prices are absurd. I don't think interest would decline if they were available either way. Rolex has been popular regardless.
Old 22 November 2020, 05:24 PM   #6
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

With all due respect, I think that's a load of crap.
Old 22 November 2020, 05:32 PM   #7
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
Take out the price then sure. I love hunting for watches but the empty cases at the AD's and scalper grey prices are absurd. I don't think interest would decline if they were available either way. Rolex has been popular regardless.
You are right that Rolex has and will probably always sell watches.

However, about 5 years ago Rolex watches (the majority of SS models) could be bought from ADs with 20% discounts easily. The cases were full of almost every model you could want.

Interest right now is almost solely based on the fact that they are hard to get and you can make a buck if you buy at MSRP.
Old 22 November 2020, 06:47 PM   #8
grimps
"TRF" Member

I enjoy the thrill of the chase , I've bought a lot more watches since the hype started
Old 22 November 2020, 07:00 PM   #9
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I liked it when I could walk into an AD, try on the models I was interested in and then walk out with the one I wanted that day. It’s easier for me to enjoy watches when I can actually purchase them.
Old 22 November 2020, 07:22 PM   #10
TankTom
Banned

I think some people may be lying to themselves if they disagree. No one wants to admit to being lured into the hype but that’s what all the luxury brands rely upon.
Old 22 November 2020, 07:40 PM   #11
ms9
"TRF" Member

100% agree.
Old 22 November 2020, 07:41 PM   #12
Stewart_88
"TRF" Member

I had a job for an elderly customer the other week, noticed his explorer on his wrist. Said he treated himself 40 years ago for £650.

I told him about my hunt for my watches, he said he was recently looking on rolex website and was thinking he could find one he likes, go to our local AD and pick up a week later if they haven't got it in stock

After telling him the way it is atm, think he was pretty set on just enjoying his explorer.
Old 22 November 2020, 07:43 PM   #13
massie8250
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 124270
Bravo! brave post, but I agree.

I think it depends where you are with it all, if you already have 1 or 2 Rolexes then it becomes more fun, the chase is enjoyable, and the catch more rewarding once you get it. The value retention factor is a huge draw, and I think has attracted many more people to the brand in recent years which has added to the "hype".

However, if you don't yet have one yet, and been chasing for a while, its incredibly frustrating, and the chase in fact becomes more emotional. But hey, they're just watches at the end of the day.
Old 22 November 2020, 07:56 PM   #14
onefishtaco
"TRF" Member

The harder a luxury item is to get, the more people want it? Checks out to me. But I would be enjoying the journey more, if I wasn't trying to re-acquire a BLNR ... having such a hard time talking myself into paying basically double!
Old 22 November 2020, 08:16 PM   #15
jrox
"TRF" Member

100%, I love hunting part of the watch buying process the most. Without it I would already got bored
Old 22 November 2020, 09:36 PM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Do you really like the watches?
Old 22 November 2020, 09:45 PM   #17
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by massie8250 View Post

I think it depends where you are with it all, if you already have 1 or 2 Rolexes then it becomes more fun, the chase is enjoyable, and the catch more rewarding once you get it. The value retention factor is a huge draw, and I think has attracted many more people to the brand in recent years which has added to the "hype".

However, if you don't yet have one yet, and been chasing for a while, its incredibly frustrating, and the chase in fact becomes more emotional. But hey, they're just watches at the end of the day.
So true. Great point
Old 22 November 2020, 09:50 PM   #18
holdingon
"TRF" Member

Depends it’s more frustrating but definitely more interesting. The days you can pick up a sub or gmt are gone, however a waitlist for OPs is just insane.
Old 22 November 2020, 09:55 PM   #19
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
First and foremost I like the fact that its a solid watch, yes, there is a sense of exclusivity if you have one of the hard to get models but wether its a date just or a rainbow Daytona you know it will be built to last.
Old 22 November 2020, 10:14 PM   #20
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C, Sub LVC
No, to be honest I’m bored with it all. I’ve got cash waiting and know what models I’d like to buy, however if your face doesn’t fit in then you stand no chance.

I refuse to pay grey prices too!.

Old 22 November 2020, 10:17 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you are new then maybe you accept this is the way, but if you were buying before the hype then this all seems like nonsense, esp for a watch that is quite basic really like a SS Rolex, even if your stock portfolio has doubled.
Old 22 November 2020, 10:18 PM   #22
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No. This line of thinking is asinine and also suggests you're at least partially in it for the hype and you may not like a watch as much as you think or claim. Why wouldn't you enjoy a watch just as much or even more if you could buy it right away without any hassle? You're an adult and you know you already want the watch...

If you're willing to spend thousands on what for 99.9% of the population is a completely superflous and unnecessary item in this day and age such as a watch, why the hell would you enjoy having to essentially beg for that item as has become commonplace with ADs? Or keep being told to spend a little more? Or purchase or bundle other watches you don't want?

And all of this to MAYBE get the watch you want?

You enjoy this? Really?

Old 22 November 2020, 10:21 PM   #23
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I go back and forth with this. I hate it until the AD calls ��
Old 22 November 2020, 10:23 PM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!!! Either way I get to experience the joy of Rolex ownership!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 22 November 2020, 11:02 PM   #25
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Another post about money acting like it is about watches. No shortage of Rolex hot watches, just not from the AD at msrp.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:08 PM   #26
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nGage7962 View Post
That's just bonkers
This. Stupid I say.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:15 PM   #27
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
It doesn't bother me as much as a lot of people here. They think they have a right to dictate the market because they have been a fan or buyer for a long time.

A lot say they are done with Rolex. Then you see all the incomings for new watches.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:23 PM   #28
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Rolex's control of supply + social media (hey, look at me! I now own this rare watch) = the perfect storm
Old 22 November 2020, 11:47 PM   #29
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by massie8250 View Post

I agree with this... people who started 10 years ago benefitted from the hype and drive up of secondary prices, making it easier to get in on the chase of hyped models.
Old 22 November 2020, 11:57 PM   #30
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
I love the hunt for a new watch, that’s part of the fun for me. But anyone who says they enjoy being placed on an imaginary list and waiting on a call that never comes is either a liar or pretty stupid.

The system is broken and needs fixing. It should be fair and transparent and its neither.

There should be a clear system of joining a list, knowing what place you are on that list and every time a piece gets sold then everyone on that list should be notified they are now in 4th (or whatever) place to receive their watch.

ADs that sell to known flippers or direct to the grey market should have their AD status revoked overnight.
Closed Thread