The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2020, 11:13 PM   #1
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Just saying it’s weird

My Rolex thought this morning.
I find it extremely curious that the new OP in various fashion colors seems to be wildly popular, yet people have criticized the new Air King for years because of a bit of green and yellow on the dial.
I don’t own either watch, and I like both (have always thought the AK was underrated) just find it really interesting.
I think the collecting community is very sheepish. The AK was subject to early criticism that it has not overcome, whereas these new OP had early fanfare. It’s interesting because I find the AK to be quite understated compared to some of these loud dials.
Anyways, that’s all, just some discussion based on observation. Feel free to share your theory, or disagree altogether!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 December 2020, 11:22 PM   #2
Lac Lemon
Banned

I think its the mist-mash of numbers more than the colors of the Air King...an aviation watch designed around a failed car project? It's just an odd watch that would still be sitting around collecting dust if it wasn't for the crazy hype. I do like the vintage writing on it.
Lac Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 11:34 PM   #3
Hub6152
Banned

Just saying it’s weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac Lemon View Post
I think its the mist-mash of numbers more than the colors of the Air King...an aviation watch designed around a failed car project? It's just an odd watch that would still be sitting around collecting dust if it wasn't for the crazy hype. I do like the vintage writing on it.

A rather unfair synopsis. Rolex was involved in the Bloodhound land speed record project as was Rolls Royce. The company behind it built a viable car but ran out of money needing another £25m. Further investment could not be found and the company was wound up.

Most people didn’t get what the AK was and thought the 5 minute divisions on the dial was messy without realising it was lifted from the clock of the Bloodhound car.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 11:51 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Apples and oranges to me OP.

The new OP’s harken back to earlier iterations (think Stella dials etc).

The new AK is more a mishmash with a lot going on

Nothing wrong with it if it floats your boat, to each their own.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 11:54 PM   #5
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Apples and oranges to me OP.

The new OP’s harken back to earlier iterations (think Stella dials etc).

The new AK is more a mishmash with a lot going on

Agree with this.

The New OP41's are just a dial color change, while the Air King has so much (too much in my opinion) going on...
Old 4 December 2020, 11:56 PM   #6
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I find it extremely curious that the new OP in various fashion colors seems to be wildly popular, yet people have criticized the new Air King for years because of a bit of green and yellow on the dial.
I don’t own either watch, and I like both (have always thought the AK was underrated) just find it really interesting.
I think the collecting community is very sheepish. The AK was subject to early criticism that it has not overcome, whereas these new OP had early fanfare. It’s interesting because I find the AK to be quite understated compared to some of these loud dials.
Anyways, that’s all, just some discussion based on observation. Feel free to share your theory, or disagree altogether!

Don't try to make sense of grown men who post pictures of their watch glowing the dark....

But yes, there is no pattern of preference...
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 11:57 PM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post

Well I do not like either. Rolex has ruined both in my opinion, but the Air King is worse for me with the mix of numerals and the 40mmm size.

Don't get me started on the new OP dials (and the move to 41mm). But I'm still bitter that they discontinued the white dial....right when I made the commitment in my mind to purchase that one after many reviews and countless watchings on You Tube.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 11:59 PM   #8
Lac Lemon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
A rather unfair synopsis. Rolex was involved in the Bloodhound land speed record project as was Rolls Royce. The company behind it built a viable car but ran out of money needing another £25m. Further investment could not be found and the company was wound up.

Most people didn’t get what the AK was and thought the 5 minute divisions on the dial was messy without realising it was lifted from the clock of the Bloodhound car.
I'm not saying the failure was a fault of Rolex, but why bring the concept into your "Aviation" watch?

I actually don't mind the numbers, but I wouldn't want anything Bloodhound related, at any price.

Of course, to each his own...but they're only moving because there is nothing else in a green box to throw money at.
Lac Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 12:00 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I think most people who dislike the current AK (including myself) find the dial layout too busy and ugly. Nothing to do w colors.

The new OP is more or less the same simple dial layout (w a few tweaks), just different colors. It works for more people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 12:04 AM   #10
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
Don't try to make sense of grown men who post pictures of their watch glowing the dark....

Great response
Old 5 December 2020, 12:10 AM   #11
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Air King has one of those mental effects for me where I can’t unsee things. When I saw how many 5’s there are on the dial and how much cleaner it would be without the extra text and numbers I couldn’t unsee it.

A new explorer and air king with simplified dials and updated case, movement, bracelet would be very nice. Would love to see a vintage style “Rolex air king”
And no other text on dial
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 12:11 AM   #12
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

Don't get me started on the new OP dials (and the move to 41mm). But I'm still bitter that they discontinued the white dial....right when I made the commitment in my mind to purchase that one after many reviews and countless watchings on You Tube.
I honestly think that if you're looking to buy the old OP39 in white, now is the time to buy. Yes, there's a premium, but I don't see the price action moving the opposite direction anytime soon.

Times aren't a changing...they already have.
Old 5 December 2020, 12:18 AM   #13
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I honestly think that if you're looking to buy the old OP39 in white, now is the time to buy. Yes, there's a premium, but I don't see the price action moving the opposite direction anytime soon.

Times aren't a changing...they already have.
No way I'm paying the premium for it. I like it, but not that much.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 12:18 AM   #14
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
No way I'm paying the premium for it. I like it, but not that much.
Haha, understand that!
Old 5 December 2020, 12:40 AM   #15
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

i'd rather have a swatch than these new bold colored OP models tbh. artificial hype that's all, aint gonna last.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 12:49 AM   #16
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
apples and oranges to me op.

The new op’s harken back to earlier iterations (think stella dials etc).

The new ak is more a mishmash with a lot going on

+1
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:04 AM   #17
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I'm a fan of the fun OP colors but I am not a fan of the Airking dial. Too busy for my liking.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:24 AM   #18
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac Lemon View Post
I think its the mist-mash of numbers more than the colors of the Air King
Yep. The colors are great. The applied 3,6, and 9 just don't fit with the rest of the dial.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:28 AM   #19
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
3 Rolex family

Between my wife and I we own 3 Rolexes, mine are the Submariner and Explorer, dearly beloved chose her OP and the colour of the dial she wanted as...... she liked the size and the colour, this was unswayed by any of my input and she hand no interest in Vintage OP's, so I'm of the opinion that people will buy what they like and what suits their preference, without thoughts of future investments etc........ incidentally I still think she should have gone with the blue Dial The Air King numbers make a little confusing for me to read as I'm use to looking at a watch face and finding the numbers in a numerical order. It was nice to learn about the Bloodhound land speed record project.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:00 AM   #20
Sjmoore11

Watch: Exp II - old & new
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post

Yeah, that is a truly excellent summation of watch collecting trends! And gave me a good chuckle.
Sjmoore11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:14 AM   #21
emtee
"TRF" Member

It’s the odd mix of numbers on the dial that make the air king not work for me. Nice other than that.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:20 AM   #22
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
The green and yellow are the best things about the Air King, the rest is just schizophrenic.

The Oyster Perpetual is really quite subdued and traditional apart from the splashes of color.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:49 AM   #23
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

The dials of the new Oyster Perpetual and the Air-King are very different in design. Additionally, it's not so much what colours are used but the manner in which they are used. Their popularity may also be helped with the broader range of sizes and colours and also lower price point. It's rare to see such a post comparing two wildly different products.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 03:03 AM   #24
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

dial on AK seems like leftover parts
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 03:05 AM   #25
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Aesthetics is essentially the reason why all watches or popular are not. +/- the OP and AK are the same watch different dial. There isn't much difference (yeah, sure... case is +/- 1mm on marketing side of things but not the physical).

The OP is only popular with the throwback of the Stella Dials that were previously on the DD. Nothing more imo.

I personally loved the single indexes on the full dial of OP39 as well the simple black and white dial. Not too interested in the double indexes at 3,6,9. The AK has grown on me but it's a busy dial with all the numbers, colors, etc.

I think as a whole the collecting community likes the latest and newest shiny things. The OP right now is part of the flavor of the month, eventually the vibrant colors may become too much as did the Stella dials.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 04:00 AM   #26
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Style is subjective. That's all. It would be a boring world otherwise.
Old 5 December 2020, 04:05 AM   #27
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
How much they sell for above retail makes them more and more popular.

Op41 sells a lot more over retail than the air king does.

I love the air king - don’t like any of the colourful OP dials, think the silver/gold one is nice.
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 11:25 PM   #28
Lawrencemontre
"TRF" Member

Air king looks kinda fussy and way too busy whereas a turquoise op looks really cool and classic. Clean and elegant. Also I love vintage stellas. Never had any love for vintage air king.
Lawrencemontre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 11:34 PM   #29
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I think it's timing. OP released in the new world of Rolex frenzy, so many people have no idea. These pieces are all over IG, everyone wants to buy one for the wife or themselves or whatever. Air King was released when things were a bit more "normal" and less frenzied.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 11:50 PM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Never underestimate herd mentality.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2020 oyster perpetual , opinions