The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2021, 10:31 AM   #31
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Omega
Old 26 May 2021, 10:32 AM   #32
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I like both and I own both and trust me when I tell you Tudor is nowhere near in the same league as Omega. I can't imagine anyone who has owned both disagreeing with this.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

I agree and disagree. One is slightly better the other is more special. I’d take 10 Tudors over an Omega.

You are not wrong and neither am I. Beauty of individuality.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 10:32 AM   #33
DrStrangluv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post
The fact that you think Tudor can stand toe-to-toe with Omega competing for the same customer segment tells how badly Omega has fallen from their spot on a marketing standpoint.

If it weren't for the Rolex-sister company branding behind Tudor would you even care for watches like the BB chrono?? The new speedy is completely on another level if you ask me. It's moons apart.
Agreed. Tudor getting more media coverage does not make them a greater watch manufacturer. They are just better at capturing the current market demand. Big fan of both Omega and Tudor though.
DrStrangluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 10:43 AM   #34
Jamhot
"TRF" Member

I respect the Omega brand and I like the technical aspects of the coaxial movements. However, they do not make anything that I would want to buy. Most of their watches are too big or too thick. Thats where both Rolex and Tudor excel, they fit round my wrist better.
Jamhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 10:43 AM   #35
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Yes. Insightful re: the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post
The fact that you think Tudor can stand toe-to-toe with Omega competing for the same customer segment tells how badly Omega has fallen from their spot on a marketing standpoint.

If it weren't for the Rolex-sister company branding behind Tudor would you even care for watches like the BB chrono?? The new speedy is completely on another level if you ask me. It's moons apart.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 10:45 AM   #36
jakjuventus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Just my recognition on last night after Tudor new ceramic released, I went to Tudor channel on youtube and found that Tudor BB 58 925 has 545k views and BB Chrono has 642k views.

Tudor really does a great job in reaching their target customer.

Compare to my recent story, I was talking to a watch friend on IG and he didnt even know Omega releases a new Speedmaster this year. I knows this may not be anything BUT it does tell something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamhot View Post
I respect the Omega brand and I like the technical aspects of the coaxial movements. However, they do not make anything that I would want to buy. Most of their watches are too big or too thick. Thats where both Rolex and Tudor excel, they fit round my wrist better.
Completely agreed on this.
jakjuventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 11:35 AM   #37
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
We like to think that these "tier list" comparisons are based on the watch's technical merits like durability, finishing, movement, etc.

But what it is actually, is just brand power. We like to think it isn't, but it is.

When we say Rolex > Omega or Omega > Tudor, we are subconsciously referring to their brand equity.

Movement-wise, quality-wise, there's really not much difference to them. Watches at a certain price range have little difference in terms of technical chops.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 11:49 AM   #38
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Same here. They also can't seem to quite stop themselves from adding some funky design detail that ruins the whole thing like skeleton hands, funky shaped indices, protruding HEV, Hideous clasp, weird bracelets, yada. That is one place where Rolex really stands out is comfortable watches with timeless design (mostly).
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 11:56 AM   #39
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Omega has really stepped up. They have nice innovations and designs. They are keeping their prices reasonable and available. They are selling watches period. They are looking real good and have my following

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:11 PM   #40
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

omega > tudor without question

If Tudor wasn't part of the Wilsdorf Foundation and Rolex's baby brother, it would not get the same attention and love from the watch community.

Don't get me wrong, Tudor is great watch company and I do have pieces from them, but its not even close to Omega. For example, to compare the new BB-chrono to the new 3861 Speedy incomprehensible
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:18 PM   #41
Golfguy77
"TRF" Member

Own both brands. You get what you pay for. Omega has the edge in this fight.
Golfguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:27 PM   #42
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
This is interesting to me as in the past I would have expected more less than positive comments around Omega but overall it seems like people see them as well made and a solid option.

I feel Omega is a notch above Tudor, both in overall quality as well as being unique, but both are great watches.

It will be interesting to see if more people opt to buy an Omega with Rolex supply being what it is and how that impacts the brand long term, seems like a great opportunity for them to fill a void and grow their brand awareness.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:31 PM   #43
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
We like to think that these "tier list" comparisons are based on the watch's technical merits like durability, finishing, movement, etc.

But what it is actually, is just brand power. We like to think it isn't, but it is.

When we say Rolex > Omega or Omega > Tudor, we are subconsciously referring to their brand equity.

Movement-wise, quality-wise, there's really not much difference to them. Watches at a certain price range have little difference in terms of technical chops.
Pulling back the veil
Old 26 May 2021, 02:04 PM   #44
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I'm surprised there is so much preference of Omega over Tudor here. Maybe on a purely technical level, but I like much more in the Tudor range than I do in the Omega range. Perhaps I'm just being superficial? I hate (not strong enough of a word) the seamasters with the skeleton hands and the to me unsightly bevels on the bezels as well as the extra contours on the cases. I have only had two in my lifetime, one a SM PO chrono that I traded for a BB Heritage because the PO chrono was too big and uncomfortable on my wrist. The other is a PO 2201.51 that looks great in the box, but I just don't wear it much because I prefer the styling and fit of the Rolexes I have in my collection, the highlights of which are detailed below in my sig.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 02:08 PM   #45
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I like both and I own both and trust me when I tell you Tudor is nowhere near in the same league as Omega. I can't imagine anyone who has owned both disagreeing with this.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
I’ve owned both and I disagree.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 02:25 PM   #46
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfguy77 View Post
Own both brands. You get what you pay for...
With all due respect, I have to disagree completely. Speaking of all brands in the Swiss watch game, there really seems to be very little correlation between price and quality.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 02:40 PM   #47
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As I read this thread, I began to compare Omega vs. Rolex/Tudor in my mind. One of my very first thoughts was how I passed up buying a Planet Ocean 10 years ago because it was too thick. The 42mm Planet Ocean wore smaller than 42mm, but it was the thickness that sunk it. After which I tried on a Submariner and fell in love with the fit. And bought it.

That trend continued over the years for me, as I liked various Omegas from a style and function perspective, but the size prevented me from pulling the trigger. For example, the Planet Ocean GMT is a nice looking watch, but at 43.5mm AND 17mm thick its not friendly to most wrists. Same for the Aqua Terra GMT at 43mm.

If I find an Omega I like that fits as well as the Rolex Sub or GMT, I will consider buying.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 03:17 PM   #48
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Omega makes a watch that is better than Rolex I feel. Let alone Tudor.
how is omega better than rolex? could you give us an example, which model?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 03:38 PM   #49
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
Having owned two new 3861 speedmasters, I would have to say that the quality control and reliability of Omega has dropped in recent years.
eightball76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 03:42 PM   #50
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Omega > Tudor in almost every way, across every offering.

Only exception is the BB58, both the OG black/gilt and blue... I prefer that watch above any of the Omegas.
TimeAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 03:47 PM   #51
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
As I read this thread, I began to compare Omega vs. Rolex/Tudor in my mind. One of my very first thoughts was how I passed up buying a Planet Ocean 10 years ago because it was too thick. The 42mm Planet Ocean wore smaller than 42mm, but it was the thickness that sunk it. After which I tried on a Submariner and fell in love with the fit. And bought it.

That trend continued over the years for me, as I liked various Omegas from a style and function perspective, but the size prevented me from pulling the trigger. For example, the Planet Ocean GMT is a nice looking watch, but at 43.5mm AND 17mm thick its not friendly to most wrists. Same for the Aqua Terra GMT at 43mm.

If I find an Omega I like that fits as well as the Rolex Sub or GMT, I will consider buying.
Have you tried the non-GMT Aqua Terra? They are some of the most comfortable watches I have ever worn. Fits better than my Submariner. Of course, YMMV.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 03:57 PM   #52
motiontimers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
I like Tudor but Omega wins this race easy. No competition.
+1
motiontimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 05:13 PM   #53
Richie07
"TRF" Member

Omega by a mile. Tudor don't have the heritage or cultural significance of Omega. Omega also are technically superior to Tudor with better finishes and a broader product line.

Omega only come up short in people's eyes due to the Rolex juggernaut. It's a simple as that. If Rolex didn't exist, Omega would be the king of the sport watch world.
Richie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 05:36 PM   #54
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

I suspect such a comparison has been cropping up mainly because of the unavailability of Rolex for the average buyer. People are either settling for Tudor or they have decided that Tudor is a genuinely good product because of its Rolex association, leading to its rise such that it is now being viewed as a competitor to Omega. Personally I think Omega is the much better brand and I am not sure how much of this recent rise of Tudor is due to the hype surrounding Rolex and its exclusivity.
Watch2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 05:44 PM   #55
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakjuventus View Post
Compare to my recent story, I was talking to a watch friend on IG and he didnt even know Omega releases a new Speedmaster this year. I knows this may not be anything BUT it does tell something.
Tells something about the quality of Omega's PR (or your friend), but not about the watch.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 05:54 PM   #56
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

Omega is my favourite watch brand. They make amazing watches that you can actually buy at their Boutiques and ADs. The whole experience of buying and owning an Omega is great.

I own a Speedmaster FOIS, New Seamaster 300M, Vintage Constellation and love them all. Also have Rolex but don't like the current shortage and AD games
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 06:11 PM   #57
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
omega > tudor without question

If Tudor wasn't part of the Wilsdorf Foundation and Rolex's baby brother, it would not get the same attention and love from the watch community.

Don't get me wrong, Tudor is great watch company and I do have pieces from them, but its not even close to Omega. For example, to compare the new BB-chrono to the new 3861 Speedy incomprehensible

Agreed - I’ve got watches from both, and I like the tudors but omega is in a different ball park for me in terms of fit, finish etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 06:19 PM   #58
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've no interest in Omega as I've owned a bunch and sold them all. None that are desirable match my wrist. I'm interested in a Royal DD so for me that makes Tudor the winner; I'm hoping that's not a mistake. In general however, neither. I won't own a brand just to have one in my collection; it's got to have something I really want!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 06:42 PM   #59
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Tudor is not in the same league as Omega. Actually, Tudor is not in the same league as Breitling either.

Omega is a lot closer to Rolex than Tudor is to Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 06:53 PM   #60
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakjuventus View Post
Just my recognition on last night after Tudor new ceramic released, I went to Tudor channel on youtube and found that Tudor BB 58 925 has 545k views and BB Chrono has 642k views.

Tudor really does a great job in reaching their target customer.

Your friend must have had his head in the sand around late January. There was all kinds of press about the new Speedmaster...and many YouTube videos.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote