The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 June 2021, 05:09 AM   #31
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
You won’t wear it occasionally - you’ll wear it every day then buy another one “to wear occasionally, that’s how it starts :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 10:53 AM   #32
jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreytime View Post
I am new to Rolex. Looking to buy my first and really like the Batman, specifically a 2017/18 model. It would be a jubilee bracelet. Realistically, what is a good deal? Furthermore, where do you guys see the market going with these? Want to buy something to wear occasionally but not drop in value significantly over the next few years. Thanks in advance!!

Forget getting deal. Forget resale. Get a BLNR at whatever price you can. If you like you keep if not you’ll lose very little if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 11:47 AM   #33
coreytime
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I genuinely appreciate those trying to help and taking the time to do so.. I have always loved watches and bought a tag in the past amongst a couple of other brands. I just finally found it to be the time for a Rolex.

To the small group who gave me a hard time, who tell me to get a 401k….. I just can’t help but laugh. I wouldn’t base one’s financial history over his first Rolex purchase.. just saying. :)
coreytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 11:51 AM   #34
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
Every second thread on this forum lately is about grey market, value speculation and the like from brand new members. Perhaps take some time and peruse and read a little. 2017/18 BLNR isn’t offered with jubilee btw. If you know that you want a specific watch, buy it without regard for value. Most collectors of watches are tired of hearing about market speculation.
x2
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 11:59 AM   #35
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
You won’t wear it occasionally - you’ll wear it every day then buy another one “to wear occasionally, that’s how it starts :)

It’s like you know me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 12:22 PM   #36
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I genuinely appreciate those trying to help and taking the time to do so.. I have always loved watches and bought a tag in the past amongst a couple of other brands. I just finally found it to be the time for a Rolex.

To the small group who gave me a hard time, who tell me to get a 401k….. I just can’t help but laugh. I wouldn’t base one’s financial history over his first Rolex purchase.. just saying. :)
Less about financial history and more about the crux of your post which was fear of losing “equity”
Old 1 June 2021, 12:23 PM   #37
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
That jubilee is a great piece. Check the For Sale forum here. That’s the price range you will pay. And those prices will be about as good a buy as you get. Buy from a seller with a ton of Feedback.

The watch value will go up or down a couple grand but it will hold across the long run. Buy what you like and enjoy it. You won’t get hurt on value.
Old 1 June 2021, 06:53 PM   #38
huba01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
That jubilee is a great piece. Check the For Sale forum here. That’s the price range you will pay. And those prices will be about as good a buy as you get. Buy from a seller with a ton of Feedback.

The watch value will go up or down a couple grand but it will hold across the long run. Buy what you like and enjoy it. You won’t get hurt on value.
Sound advice
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 07:08 PM   #39
pammo13
Banned

Welcome to the forums buddy.
pammo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 07:14 PM   #40
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Quote:
I am new to Rolex. Looking to buy my first and really like the Batman, specifically a 2017/18 model. It would be a jubilee bracelet. Realistically, what is a good deal? Furthermore, where do you guys see the market going with these? Want to buy something to wear occasionally but not drop in value significantly over the next few years. Thanks in advance!!
I know the answers here may seem a bit abrupt and possibly sarcastic. There is a reason. A good portion of the people on this forum are here due to the love of the watches, horology and/or the history of the brand.

There has been a large influx of people who are only interested in the value. They ask questions like: What watch will hold it's value? Which will appreciate in value? Where can I buy a Rolex at retail? These are questions we can't answer... and if we could, would we be telling you instead of buying at retail ourselves?

We are not oracles, we do not have crystal balls to see the future, we do not know what the market will do, or when.

If there is a watch you are interested in, be ready to pay over retail. If you are one of the fortunate ones who gets a shot a purchasing a high demand model from an AD, consider yourself lucky. There are people here who have waited very long times for that chance.

So, instead of jumping in with a "How much is it worth?, or going to be worth?, or is it going to drop in value?" I would suggest an introduction... stating that the 116710 BLNR is what you are interested in and ask what you might be able to learn about it.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 1 June 2021, 08:55 PM   #41
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
I know the answers here may seem a bit abrupt and possibly sarcastic. There is a reason. A good portion of the people on this forum are here due to the love of the watches, horology and/or the history of the brand.

There has been a large influx of people who are only interested in the value. They ask questions like: What watch will hold it's value? Which will appreciate in value? Where can I buy a Rolex at retail? These are questions we can't answer... and if we could, would we be telling you instead of buying at retail ourselves?

We are not oracles, we do not have crystal balls to see the future, we do not know what the market will do, or when.

If there is a watch you are interested in, be ready to pay over retail. If you are one of the fortunate ones who gets a shot a purchasing a high demand model from an AD, consider yourself lucky. There are people here who have waited very long times for that chance.

So, instead of jumping in with a "How much is it worth?, or going to be worth?, or is it going to drop in value?" I would suggest an introduction... stating that the 116710 BLNR is what you are interested in and ask what you might be able to learn about it.

Welcome to the forum.
This.

And welcome to the forum.
Old 1 June 2021, 11:01 PM   #42
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

The BLNR gets the most wrist time of my collection, so I may be biased in saying that you won’t regret owning one.

As for value, while history is no guarantee of future performance, it has shown except for slight transitory dips, the watch has consistently gone up in value. Of course, when new models come out things get shuffled but Batman seems to hang in there.

That said, you probably won’t want to sell it so get it for a price with which you are comfortable and don’t worry about. Happy hunting!
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 01:42 AM   #43
Tyler_Durden_8
"TRF" Member

1) What is a good deal?

Just do your homework and look at all the different watch sites as well as the for sale section on this forum should give you a good idea.

2) Will it keep it's value?

That is a tough call. No one knows. Oyster bracelet was discontinued to make way for the jubilee bracelet and people were trying to cranking up the "discontinued" hype for the oyster bracelet Batman. Now Rolex decided to bring back the oyster bracelet with the new movement. There will be myriads of factors involved.

The most important thing is whether you like the watch or not. There are certain models that are going up in value now but I don't see them on my wrist in the future because I don't like the looks.
Tyler_Durden_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 02:03 AM   #44
Bill Mott
Banned

Ignore the mean people OP. It's the same people every day on here who love to be snarky.

If you want to pay retail... wait for 2 years or more (who knows how long), and start working the AD's, and get on as many lists as you can.

If you want to get it fast, you will pay around 17K for a LNIB. If you need to sell, the very next day, you'd probably lose 2-3K on the deal.

No one knows how high the market will go. But I think the general consensus is that prices will rise more in the short term. Who knows in the long term.
Bill Mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 05:38 AM   #45
LC23
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum. My honest suggestion is to make sure you evaluate every watch and if possible try it on and narrow down to one. 40mm 2018ish BLNR GMT was a grail of mine. It took me 4 years to find a decent deal but at the end of the day I still paid 5k above msrp. I was there and understand its hard to swallow the grey market premiums but thats just the name of the game. Personally, if its a watch you will wear at least 4 times a month and keep for 5 years. Its already held up its worth and you don't have to worry about the value increasing or decreasing unless you plan to flip it. Hope that was helpful as thats what I went through.
LC23 is offline   Reply With Quote