The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 June 2021, 01:05 AM   #541
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
A resonance at retail. Might as well use the CB at retail as a comparison ;/

CB is a watch which cannot be waitlisted and as far as Journe is concerned. It is non-existing. (Exact word from the Journe Boutique rep)

As for Resonance, the order is still open and you can wait. With some patience, you will eventually get one at retail. I did and received the watch two weeks ago. My AD told me that the wait is long but he can still accept names. And this is my first Journe so you also don’t need a special relationship to get one.

I love the look and idea behind the CB but at $110000, I don’t see why anyone would pick CB over a CO or RT. Or even a QP which I feel that it is tremendous value compared to all the other high end perpetual calendar watches out there.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2021, 12:14 PM   #542
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I love the look and idea behind the CB but at $110000, I don’t see why anyone would pick CB over a CO or RT. Or even a QP which I feel that it is tremendous value compared to all the other high end perpetual calendar watches out there.
Truer words were never spoken.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2021, 12:15 PM   #543
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A resonance at retail. Might as well use the CB at retail as a comparison ;/
You can definitely get an RQ at retail if you are patient. They're a bit backlogged as it's not the easiest movement to make (and obviously they took a big hit last year with the stay-at-home orders), but they'll catch up. I estimate that if you order now, you'll get your RQ by 2024.

Long time to wait, but they do only make 700 watches/year, so what can you do.
Old 10 June 2021, 12:31 PM   #544
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
You can definitely get an RQ at retail if you are patient. They're a bit backlogged as it's not the easiest movement to make (and obviously they took a big hit last year with the stay-at-home orders), but they'll catch up. I estimate that if you order now, you'll get your RQ by 2024.

Long time to wait, but they do only make 700 watches/year, so what can you do.
I heard they are running at about 100 Resonance per year. And from the serial number delta of my friend’s from October to mine, that sounds about right.

My AD said he gets two per year and it would be about 4 years before delivery. In fact, all the Journe models have a wait now but he said I can wait on any of them except CB since it is not something being produced.

The boutique rep told me that CB is now only being offered to their largest collectors on rare occasion and that’s why it is really a non-existing model.
Old 10 June 2021, 11:47 PM   #545
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Maybe a naive question. How welcoming are FPJ boutiques like NYC or Miami to new customers? I am interested in acquiring a Journe possible a CS in platinum or an Octa Lune. Are these 2 models something a first time customer can aspire to own?

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 12:02 AM   #546
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Maybe a naive question. How welcoming are FPJ boutiques like NYC or Miami to new customers? I am interested in acquiring a Journe possible a CS in platinum or an Octa Lune. Are these 2 models something a first time customer can aspire to own?
Can't speak for the current situation in the US, but when I was shopping around a couple of years ago before the brand caught fire, the folks at the Paris boutique and Bangkok AD were both very accommodating. I'm sure there will be a wait, but hopefully less games than you'd experience with the likes of AP or Rolex.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 12:57 AM   #547
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The US boutique has literally nothing to sell so I think their main job now is to build relationships and to screen for flippers. I contacted them a few times and they are always accommodating and also explain the same story. They will want to learn more about you before offering something.

I guess with the secondary market price for all their pieces, it is understandable that they want their watch goes to true collector.

The demand of CS is quite high according to my AD and since 2021 production was all sold back in the beginning of the year. It may have a wait but I am sure if you are genuine collector, they should be able to help.

I still remember not too long ago you can walk in and have CS available.
Old 11 June 2021, 03:30 AM   #548
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

There are currently two (2) listed on Chrono24 ..

One is listed by EWC at $119,403/- full set, pre owned, 2019

The other by LuxuryBazaar at $102,481/- naked, pre owned, unknown date of production
jenniferjanef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 03:54 AM   #549
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
The US boutique has literally nothing to sell so I think their main job now is to build relationships and to screen for flippers. I contacted them a few times and they are always accommodating and also explain the same story. They will want to learn more about you before offering something.

I guess with the secondary market price for all their pieces, it is understandable that they want their watch goes to true collector.

The demand of CS is quite high according to my AD and since 2021 production was all sold back in the beginning of the year. It may have a wait but I am sure if you are genuine collector, they should be able to help.

I still remember not too long ago you can walk in and have CS available.
This is basically the same thing I was told when I visited my local boutique a few weeks ago.
When I asked about the wait for a CS, I was told a year and a half to two years, and that pretty much every piece is spoken for until 2023.
And I have purchased from them before so I have a relationship with them.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 04:25 AM   #550
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They are very welcoming.

They may not have a watch to sell you.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 05:34 AM   #551
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
There are currently two (2) listed on Chrono24 ..

One is listed by EWC at $119,403/- full set, pre owned, 2019

The other by LuxuryBazaar at $102,481/- naked, pre owned, unknown date of production
I inquired and the Luxury Bazaar one is a crazy early example, from 2009 I believe. Which explains lack of box and papers. Most journes from pre-2010 had them thrown away. Also, I believe asking is 99,900 USD
Old 11 June 2021, 05:45 AM   #552
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWoundUp View Post
I inquired and the Luxury Bazaar one is a crazy early example, from 2009 I believe. Which explains lack of box and papers. Most journes from pre-2010 had them thrown away. Also, I believe asking is 99,900 USD
I did a quick conversation from SGD to USD hence the differences.. my bad.

The one listed by EWC has just be taken down. Sold??
Old 11 June 2021, 05:47 AM   #553
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Yeah, it seems that way.... craziness.
Old 11 June 2021, 06:11 AM   #554
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
So how does one start a relationship if all watches are spoken for until 2023? Even Patek, AP and Rolex will offer you some “dogs” to build a relationship. Codes, two tone DJs and dress watches. Not that I am endorsing that but at least there is something to buy should a new customer be interested in starting a relationship.
My local Journe AD said they only allow customers with a history to buy a Journe and since Journe is cutting them off soon I see no good reason to start one.
I guess there’s nothing to do other than contact a boutique and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 06:48 AM   #555
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My local Journe AD said they only allow customers with a history to buy a Journe

F.P.Journe is becoming a “private club” now
Old 11 June 2021, 07:00 AM   #556
Niblita75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So how does one start a relationship if all watches are spoken for until 2023? Even Patek, AP and Rolex will offer you some “dogs” to build a relationship. Codes, two tone DJs and dress watches. Not that I am endorsing that but at least there is something to buy should a new customer be interested in starting a relationship.
My local Journe AD said they only allow customers with a history to buy a Journe and since Journe is cutting them off soon I see no good reason to start one.
I guess there’s nothing to do other than contact a boutique and see what they say.

This is a conundrum I am dealing with. I have two Journes (a CB and a CO) and both were purchased second hand (since you obviously can't get them). Before buying the CO, I inquired about purchasing a CO from a boutique and the wait was about 2 years (maybe sooner). I decided to buy a CO now, enjoy it, and sell it when the new one I am on the list for arrives and thus "building the relationship."

May be stupid, but I don't think I am going to take a bloodbath (famous last words)... and I get to enjoy the CO while I wait.
Niblita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 07:29 AM   #557
stonejordan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I know of a few first time purchasers that received their watches recently from the boutique, as well as people that put their names down recently at the boutique. You may have to wait for a few years, but unless its a model that is limited (limited edition, black label, etc.) you should get your watch eventually.
stonejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 07:44 AM   #558
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
could be $100,000 in a year, depends on how much currency central banks continue to give away.

Underestimate

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 09:57 AM   #559
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I say this as a complete lover of the CB.....it is crazy to me that someone would consider paying over 6 figures for a CB when you can get a CO, a FAR superior watch (imo), for less. Ok, eye of the beholder and all of that, but over 100K for that watch is bonkers. It's good, but not that good. Instagram really is taking over...
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 10:48 AM   #560
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I say this as a complete lover of the CB.....it is crazy to me that someone would consider paying over 6 figures for a CB when you can get a CO, a FAR superior watch (imo), for less. Ok, eye of the beholder and all of that, but over 100K for that watch is bonkers. It's good, but not that good. Instagram really is taking over...

In this day and age of collecting, people are looking for what they can't get. That's it. You can't get the CB now? Boom! It's a 100k watch. Sad, but pretty straightforward
Old 11 June 2021, 10:49 AM   #561
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 11 June 2021, 11:20 AM   #562
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:

It’s not just the CB. In the last 3-4 months it’s just gone completely haywire everywhere. A 5167a is now $55,000. Any RO 15500 is $40k and the blue is well above $50k. Most Rolex are at least double retail and some are beyond that.

I’ve checked out because there is no fun in this, at all. It’s a manipulated game and it’s so broken it’s literally unfixable.

I will be happy with what I have now, and the occasional bone from an AD. If things get even more insane, one has to question who is crazier. The buyers, or the people that aren’t selling into an insane bubble?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11 June 2021, 12:54 PM   #563
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Justifying or unjustifying the price of the CB compared to other complicated Journes is pointless here. It is simply a matter of supply and demand and what the market is willing to pay. Case in point: A 5711a is $100k+, a 15202st is $80k+. Each are significantly less complicated than annual, perpetual calendars and chronographs from the same brands. Heck you can probably get a 3970J or 5270G for around that of a 5711. Maybe a 5170p? :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 03:43 PM   #564
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Justifying or unjustifying the price of the CB compared to other complicated Journes is pointless here. It is simply a matter of supply and demand and what the market is willing to pay. Case in point: A 5711a is $100k+, a 15202st is $80k+. Each are significantly less complicated than annual, perpetual calendars and chronographs from the same brands. Heck you can probably get a 3970J or 5270G for around that of a 5711. Maybe a 5170p? :)
X2 totally agree.
Old 11 June 2021, 07:48 PM   #565
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
I totally agree with you, but my issue IS the demand side. The CB is a killer watch. I guess my issue is how hundreds of people, objectively, can want that more than a CO, at a higher price. When the CB is 25K, and the CO is 90K at retail, I can totally see why the CB would be much more popular. But once the CB goes above it, there is no rational explanation I can think of for the markets behavior other than Instagram FOMO stuff.

If people want to drop 110K for a CB, good on them. I think it's totally bonkers, but it appears that is where we are at.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 09:18 PM   #566
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

how about 5711/1a compared with 5960P? if someone buy 5711 at the current market price, is he a bonker? if he is, there are lots of bonkers beyond your expectation.
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 10:55 PM   #567
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison_cheng View Post
how about 5711/1a compared with 5960P? if someone buy 5711 at the current market price, is he a bonker? if he is, there are lots of bonkers beyond your expectation.
Yes.

The 5711/1A is not a $110k watch. Sorry.

And I have two, and I love them. But I still wouldn't pay $110k for them.
Old 11 June 2021, 10:57 PM   #568
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree.

Also, I don't buy that it's what the market is willing to pay. It's originally fabricated by grey dealers fueled initially by flippers, and then if becomes a self-fueling / self-fulfilling prophecy.

Is the 5990/1R that just launched a $350k watch? No. No one really can say that. But what I can say is that the first couple grey dealers who bought it off a flipper ended up listing it at $350k to set the floor and test the waters. And they're going to hold the line until enough greys list at that price, too.

And *then* everyone can and will start saying that it's a $350k watch. That's just supply and demand. That's what the market is willing to pay.

It's all a load of nonsense.
Old 11 June 2021, 10:59 PM   #569
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
It’s not just the CB. In the last 3-4 months it’s just gone completely haywire everywhere.
Agreed.

Why is Dogecoin's market cap roughly the same as Ford? Or Ferrari?
Old 11 June 2021, 11:23 PM   #570
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yes.

The 5711/1A is not a $110k watch. Sorry.

And I have two, and I love them. But I still wouldn't pay $110k for them.
5711 might not be USD 110K , how about 85-90K? I truly believe that is the price you can sell them quickly. Even at that price range, it is still almost double of 5960P. Is it reasonabe? CB and CO is the same logic. The logic is that the market is always illogic and irrational.
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote