The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 June 2021, 09:43 PM   #601
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
It has just occurred to me that the most active threads on the forums now are “is this watch worth zillions?”. Watch forums used to be used for people to ask questions on how well a movement is finished, any issue for a particular watch, etc.

Nowadays, it feels more like a penny stocks investment forum than a venue to share appreciation of the art and craft. Admittedly, I am also guilty of adding to the fuel here.

We should get back to posting pictures of our watches and discuss about the watches and not the worth of the watches. May be we need an Investment sub forum. ��
The same thing happened on the Paneristi forum back in the days when some Panerais were selling for more than MSRP, of course there was nothing much to discuss regarding the movements.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 11:17 PM   #602
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
You are making lanteanflux's point for him; even though it's an obvious choice from an horological sense, it's not an easy one from an economic POV. One retails for twice the other, and one sells in the grey market for twice the other and it's not the same one.
One of the problems is that there are many buyers who place zero value on complications, in fact it can be a negative from the perspective of delicacy and service cost and, from a rarity perspective, three hand watches from Patek and Journe are it, particularly in non-precious metal.

The most prized and highly expensive journes are complicated and in precious metals. Early resonances and tourbs with one off dials and brass movements etc

But I know what you mean. Hype beasts don’t care about comps lol they wouldn’t be able to set the damn thing anyways.
Old 14 June 2021, 12:23 AM   #603
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
You are making lanteanflux's point for him; even though it's an obvious choice from an horological sense, it's not an easy one from an economic POV. One retails for twice the other, and one sells in the grey market for twice the other and it's not the same one.
One of the problems is that there are many buyers who place zero value on complications, in fact it can be a negative from the perspective of delicacy and service cost and, from a rarity perspective, three hand watches from Patek and Journe are it, particularly in non-precious metal.
You can also get a JLC perpetual calendar tourbillon or a brueget Torb at similar grey prices.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 12:42 AM   #604
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well my point was that GreenLantern insists the 5711 and CB aren’t worth $100k yet his own answer shows he knows they’re indeed worth $100k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 12:43 AM   #605
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The most prized and highly expensive journes are complicated and in precious metals. Early resonances and tourbs with one off dials and brass movements etc

But I know what you mean. Hype beasts don’t care about comps lol they wouldn’t be able to set the damn thing anyways.
My personal favorite Journe is the Centigraphe Type F with the red dial in platinum on bracelet. When it was produced MSRP was about $115K, 4.5X the MSRP of a CB. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it and had to settle for a CB.
I love chronographs and understand the preference true aficionados have for complications as examples of the watchmakers art
At the same time I scratch my head when I read comments condemning the seeming ignorance of hoards of buyers willing to pay more for simple design than for complications. It's their money and a lot of us benefit from it.
Old 14 June 2021, 12:47 AM   #606
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
Well my point was that GreenLantern insists the 5711 and CB aren’t worth $100k yet his own answer shows he knows they’re indeed worth $100k!

I know a lot of people who, in the 1980s, argued that no Andy Warhol painting was worth $100K. They weren't rare and they were mass produced. Sadly, I was one of those people.
Old 14 June 2021, 01:04 AM   #607
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The same thing happened on the Paneristi forum back in the days when some Panerais were selling for more than MSRP, of course there was nothing much to discuss regarding the movements.
Ah, Panerai. I almost forgot that I still own a few of them. How tastes change so quickly…
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 02:06 AM   #608
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My personal favorite Journe is the Centigraphe Type F with the red dial in platinum on bracelet. When it was produced MSRP was about $115K, 4.5X the MSRP of a CB. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it and had to settle for a CB.
I love chronographs and understand the preference true aficionados have for complications as examples of the watchmakers art
At the same time I scratch my head when I read comments condemning the seeming ignorance of hoards of buyers willing to pay more for simple design than for complications. It's their money and a lot of us benefit from it.

I know that watch. Govberg couldn’t sell it for 100k for what seemed like years lol
Old 14 June 2021, 02:16 AM   #609
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Doubtful there have been 2000 CBs produced. It was launched in December 2009, so really that's a 2010 start date. How many were produced in a year on average? Maybe 125? So that's 125 x 11 years = 1375. Let's even round up to 1500 total. That is still not many watches produced for such a time span.

Just to help bring that into perspective, currently on Chrono24 there are 409 listings for Patek 5711s.
Around 1500 is correct. Mine is from July 2018 and in the high 1200s.
They cut production to 100 a year a couple of years ago. Not sure they even make close to that number now.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 05:13 AM   #610
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Even so is there any specific Journe reference with more units produced?

Even the CS platinum and RG changed dials etc
Old 14 June 2021, 08:57 AM   #611
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Hmmmm- looks very similar huh. My buddy just lent me his VC 4500v and the dial is very very similar to my CB

Old 14 June 2021, 11:02 AM   #612
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Hmmmm- looks very similar huh. My buddy just lent me his VC 4500v and the dial is very very similar to my CB

The CB is quite a bit nicer, in my experience, but VC does own a share in the dial company FPJ majority owns, so maybe there is a little of the same magic.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 11:04 AM   #613
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
F.P. Journe Chronometer Bleu pricing going through the roof!

Quote:

The VC is quite a bit nicer

The Journe looks really nice though.

Let's see the backs side by side!
Old 14 June 2021, 11:45 AM   #614
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
The VC is quite a bit nicer

The Journe looks really nice though.

Let's see the backs side by side!

It’s really hard to compare. VC has amazing finishing but the Journe had a solid gold movement. Both are very nice.

Old 14 June 2021, 11:50 AM   #615
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
F.P. Journe Chronometer Bleu pricing going through the roof!

Quote:
It’s really hard to compare. VC has amazing finishing but the Journe had a solid gold movement. Both are very nice.

Cool pic! Saved! Thanks for sharing that

I've never seen anything like the brushed finish of the VC bracelet and case. It's superb.

Old 14 June 2021, 03:00 PM   #616
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

If CB is discontinued, then the price is not determined by the company. The price is determined by the market. Almost every watch go through that process. some prices will sustain in the long run, but some will not. For example is rolex 5517 USd 200K + watch? 5-10 years ago, most will not agree. Now most will agree. What we should discuss is that 100k of CB is sustainable in the long run ? is it rare enough to hold its value/even appreciated? is it historically important in FP line?
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 03:07 PM   #617
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison_cheng View Post
If CB is discontinued, then the price is not determined by the company. The price is determined by the market. Almost every watch go through that process. some prices will sustain in the long run, but some will not. For example is rolex 5517 USd 200K + watch? 5-10 years ago, most will not agree. Now most will agree. What we should discuss is that 100k of CB is sustainable in the long run ? is it rare enough to hold its value/even appreciated? is it historically important in FP line?
You're actually making sense.

The market right now makes zero sense.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 10:01 PM   #618
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
The CB is quite a bit nicer, in my experience, but VC does own a share in the dial company FPJ majority owns, so maybe there is a little of the same magic.
Yes. I was told that this particular VC dial is made by Les Cadraniers de Genève, so the same factory as the CB as you say. Others have also been told the same (I think our buddy Mo, who owns the VC, also confirmed this presumably on the VC side).
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 01:31 AM   #619
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The VC case looks significantly bigger than the CB. How does the overseas wear compared to the CB?

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 06:47 AM   #620
cbalster
"TRF" Member

anyone ever tried to sell a CB? is this the type of watch that dealers all ask 100k but only offer 70k? asking for a friend.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 09:23 AM   #621
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
anyone ever tried to sell a CB? is this the type of watch that dealers all ask 100k but only offer 70k? asking for a friend.
Not such a spread but 15-20% margin isn't unheard of.
Old 15 June 2021, 09:24 AM   #622
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
The VC case looks significantly bigger than the CB. How does the overseas wear compared to the CB?

The CB is a 39mm diameter watch with short lugs. Wears like a 38mm sports watch. The VC is a 41mm dial with integrated bracelet that flares out - it wears like a 42mm watch.
Old 15 June 2021, 02:55 PM   #623
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post

Overseas seems HUGE compared to CB on my wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 09:41 PM   #624
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post

Consign it.
Old 17 June 2021, 02:31 AM   #625
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

30 odd Journes just disappeared from Chrono - total went from 115 to 85... haven’t dug into why but guessing WatchBox pulled their inventory ?

lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 02:46 AM   #626
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Consign it.

Any good consignment place you can recommend? I want to consolidate a few of the less used pieces.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:03 AM   #627
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Any good consignment place you can recommend? I want to consolidate a few of the less used pieces.

Yes, me. I sell consignment pieces and for a much lower rate than most any dealer you’ll come across.
Old 18 June 2021, 01:21 AM   #628
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/266...ngth=96&page=1
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:09 AM   #629
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
That’s a steal. Commission included?
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote