The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22 July 2021, 10:18 AM   #61
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Sorry to hear Paul.
Haven't been to SoCal in about 25 years.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:20 AM   #62
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
We were interested in this. Seems like a hell of a lot of house and accoutrements for the money. Then we decided we are better off where we are. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...95956515_zpid/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 July 2021, 10:25 AM   #63
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
We were interested in this. Seems like a hell of a lot of house and accoutrements for the money. Then we decided we are better off where we are. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...95956515_zpid/

My brother lives in Menifee and they like it a lot.

Temecula is too small of a town and too far out there for us, and Menifee is an even smaller pocket of that. That's why I think this house is priced the way it is (which is probably still sticker shock for most not familiar with CA home prices). Put a house like that anywhere else in CA, and it's over $2M easy.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:26 AM   #64
Thug
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Net/net it is a small percentage by numbers but it's the high wage, high tax business & workers leaving and welfare recipients entering.
Is there anything to back this up? I mean, yes there's stories of companies moving some employees to a lower COL state but that's been happening with companies based out of NYC for decades and it's not been worse off. I think most of the companies still kept their core talent in CA and more back office out. I see more average income people than high income moving out since only the top can afford real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
The US population growth in the last decade has been 8%.

For the largest state in the union to see a net population decrease since the last census is a tremendous thing.
It's a decrease from one year, not since the last census.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:27 AM   #65
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
While that may be true, a close friend of mine lives in a town home that is currently worth $1.7 million which is less than 400 yards away from where we just had a quadruple SHOOTING with one fatality over the weekend.

So it’s not like it’s even in a nice part of town or anything.
I lived in Oakland while I went to Cal, I know how it can be. I was raised in that, which is why I can look at my glass half full now. Three quarters full, in fact. My advice; go where you need to be.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:28 AM   #66
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
And here we are, thinking we were friends...

I'm an Academy guy 1st, 'SC guy 2nd!
Wait… Jesse… you… you are an ACADEMY puke! (I was AOCS) AND you went to USC!?!?!?!? O…. M…… G.

Sigh…. I will pray for you. Everyone on the forum, please be gentle with Jesse, he obviously has serious issues.

Old 22 July 2021, 10:30 AM   #67
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post

Isn't this a less than 1% decrease? Seems premature to clutch pearls over this.
I am not sure but I think it’s even less then 1%. But the fact that this is the FIRST TIME ever the population actually DECREASED says something serious.

Quote:
The US population growth in the last decade has been 8%.

For the largest state in the union to see a net population decrease since the last census is a tremendous thing.

Old 22 July 2021, 10:33 AM   #68
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Wait… Jesse… you… you are an ACADEMY puke! (I was AOCS) AND you went to USC!?!?!?!? O…. M…… G.

Sigh…. I will pray for you. Everyone on the forum, please be gentle with Jesse, he obviously has serious issues.

We got a ring knocker over here!
Old 22 July 2021, 10:34 AM   #69
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Not everyone covets a mansion.
Agreed. Yet the carrying costs are higher in CA for less actual living space.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:38 AM   #70
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I was born and raised and still living in Orange County CA. I agree, its expensive, but I love it. For now I will pay the price to have the things that Southern California offers like the: ability to drive to the beach/desert/mountains/forest within a few hours max, some of the best and diverse food scenes, damn near perfect weather year round, etc...

I have a lot of friends moving to Vegas. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Vegas.

If I did move though, Florida would be on my short list.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:38 AM   #71
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
every place has positives and negatives.

watermelon sugar high paul.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:38 AM   #72
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yep. Acceptable to me. . I’m sure there’s a breaking point, I’m just nowhere near it. It’s not for everyone
Old 22 July 2021, 10:41 AM   #73
austinp
"TRF" Member

The California dream is dying

I left SD 25 years ago but go back to visit often. I’ve seen a lot of changes over the years. Mostly not good. Coronado,my home town, has managed to remain pretty much the same tho. I always hated LA. Would never live there.

Florida is worse. Don’t move here.

Old 22 July 2021, 10:45 AM   #74
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I keep hearing this, but then you have to look at the fine print.

Nearly all major corporations have run from California, including Apple, Schwab, Toyota, McKesson.

Tesla is one of the few remaining companies with manufacturing facilities here, and they are not what you would call a model corporation.

The fact is every major business is running away from California and resettling in Oregon, Washington, Texas, Georgia, or Colorado. Some have even gone as far as Florida.

Even the one thing this state is known for, Hollywood, is shifting production to Canada and Georgia.
With all due respect this is total nonsense.

Apple just finished building its Death Star in Silicon Valley. Hollywood has ALWAYS had productions in other parts of the country. And there is no such thing as “Hollywood”. That’s just a myth for the “ little people out there in the dark”.

It’s actually a bunch of production companies making entertainment for play on various media. The era of 5 studios ended in the middle of last century.

Lots of companies move offices around, some are post office boxes in Ireland and the Bahamas. Lots of companies have head offices one place and production somewhere else. Lots of people telecommute now and can live anywhere, but thinking business are running for the border is a little exaggerated.

People have been proclaiming death notices for California for decades and it went from 9th largest economy to 5th.

Populations shift all the time, that’s the ebb and flow of life.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:47 AM   #75
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
I have spoken to people who have left San Francisco because it’s just too damn expensive and too dangerous and when I confronted them that this is what they voted for, they just have a blank look on their faces and say that “it’s more complicated than that.”

/\ THIS /\

The rest of the nation will follow, as they always have ………………….

Rome was a paradise …………………….. WAS
Old 22 July 2021, 10:53 AM   #76
PerioBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I lived in Oakland while I went to Cal, I know how it can be. I was raised in that, which is why I can look at my glass half full now. Three quarters full, in fact. My advice; go where you need to be.
Go Bears!
Old 22 July 2021, 10:56 AM   #77
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I’m in an industry where many I work around track who’s moving here and from where. Cali is not high on the list of those transplanting to FL. Most we see these days are retired couples (late 30’s to the mid 70’s) coming from NY, MI and IL. There’s some from every state and realistically for every CA couple I see there’s been 50+ from other states. My understanding is those who are fleeing CA (whatever the number may be) are going Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. I am not in those markets so I am merely relaying information I hear from builders in those markets.

Old 22 July 2021, 10:59 AM   #78
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerioBear View Post
Go Bears!
Bruins ! Eight clap !
Old 22 July 2021, 11:03 AM   #79
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
We have room for you here Paul.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:09 AM   #80
DLRIDES

Quote:
I truly believe that no one ever really knows what they’re voting for.
Ill take this a step further (quite confidently):

IMO, 70-80% of US citizens lacks the civics knowledge to vote.

A recent study found that only 26% of registered voters could name the three branches of the federal government, and far less knew their functions. Knowledge of resident state governments were more dismal !

There is no good ending to this cycle …………………………….
Old 22 July 2021, 11:10 AM   #81
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
Bruins ! Eight clap !
THE University of California is in Berkeley.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:12 AM   #82
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Ill take this a step further (quite confidently):

IMO, 70-80% of US citizens lacks the civics knowledge to vote.

A recent study found that only 26% of registered voters could name the three branches of the federal government, and far less knew their functions. Knowledge of resident state governments were more dismal !

There is no good ending to this cycle …………………………….
You are absolutely right.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:12 AM   #83
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I just read the original post and have to admit that I agree and I’m not a Californian. Growing up in NYC we dream of California like it was a mystical place and I suppose in the 70/80s it was. We assumed everything from California was better, beaches, Los Angeles, Hollywood, Venice Beach, and songs were better “wish they all could be California girls”….just teenage dreaming.

A couple years ago I went to California for a vacation and there were many great experiences, but was shocked by places like Venice Beach, LA in general, the Hollywood walk of stars is about as ghetto as my hometown in the South Bronx. The coastal micro cities can be gorgeous and lived up to expectations but it was a huge let down once you drove away. Hell even the famed Beverly Hills shopping area is about four good blocks on one strip and that’s it, I was expecting to spend a day there lols.

I don’t know, I’m just an outsider looking in but it wasn’t what I expected and places along the way like Phoenix AZ really impressed me.

I’m sure CA still has its charm and if you have money you can live in one of the most beautiful gated communities in America but you need to have celebrity money and hob nob with a bunch of fake people.

I didn’t see the entire state and have visited twice for weeks at a time, I’m sure there’s so much more to see and it can’t be denied it’s a beautiful state, but the go-to famous locations you heard about growing up or seen in movies is severely deteriorated imo.
This is all just referring to visiting, living there is a nogo because “reasons”, I’m sure many of you can think of a few.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:18 AM   #84
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Living space is sort of a moving target. If you live in a place where you spend 4-6 months in snow chances are you’d want more indoor space.

If you live in a place where you spend a great deal of time enjoying sunny warm weather outdoors you don’t really care that much about a McMansion and 3 acres of grass to mow.

I guess the question is how much house do you really need.

This fact of the matter is, property is ALWAYS cheaper where most people don’t want to live.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:28 AM   #85
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I just read the original post and have to admit that I agree and I’m not a Californian. Growing up in NYC we dream of California like it was a mystical place and I suppose in the 70/80s it was. We assumed everything from California was better, beaches, Los Angeles, Hollywood, Venice Beach, and songs were better “wish they all could be California girls”….just teenage dreaming.

A couple years ago I went to California for a vacation and there were many great experiences, but was shocked by places like Venice Beach, LA in general, the Hollywood walk of stars is about as ghetto as my hometown in the South Bronx. The coastal micro cities can be gorgeous and lived up to expectations but it was a huge let down once you drove away. Hell even the famed Beverly Hills shopping area is about four good blocks on one strip and that’s it, I was expecting to spend a day there lols.

I don’t know, I’m just an outsider looking in but it wasn’t what I expected and places along the way like Phoenix AZ really impressed me.

I’m sure CA still has its charm and if you have money you can live in one of the most beautiful gated communities in America but you need to have celebrity money and hob nob with a bunch of fake people.

I didn’t see the entire state and have visited twice for weeks at a time, I’m sure there’s so much more to see and it can’t be denied it’s a beautiful state, but the go-to famous locations you heard about growing up or seen in movies is severely deteriorated imo.
This is all just referring to visiting, living there is a nogo because “reasons”, I’m sure many of you can think of a few.

That’s called marketing that turned into mythology. “Hollywood” is not in Hollywood. Venice Beach was always a zoo. Did you know Venice CA was once a replica of Venice Italy, with canals. There are still a few blocks of canals left.

The movie reels said the stars live in Beverly Hills. Maybe in the 1940s. Now it’s just very old people. Rodeo Drive is still a shopping Mecca for those with too much money. But don't be knocking the California girls. They're still there. Maybe a bit enhanced but still there. Seen some women in mid America lately. After 25 they're no longer looking like those California girls.

Buying Maps of Hollywood Stars is a scam. They don't live there. Just like the intercom in Vegas Hotels paging celebrities. Reality check. They aren’t there.

It would be like me going to Italy to get to see George Clooney.

Come back anytime and I'll show you around.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:57 AM   #86
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
That’s called marketing that turned into mythology. “Hollywood” is not in Hollywood. Venice Beach was always a zoo. Did you know Venice CA was once a replica of Venice Italy, with canals. There are still a few blocks of canals left.

The movie reels said the stars live in Beverly Hills. Maybe in the 1940s. Now it’s just very old people. Rodeo Drive is still a shopping Mecca for those with too much money. But don't be knocking the California girls. They're still there. Maybe a bit enhanced but still there. Seen some women in mid America lately. After 25 they're no longer looking like those California girls.

Buying Maps of Hollywood Stars is a scam. They don't live there. Just like the intercom in Vegas Hotels paging celebrities. Reality check. They aren’t there.

It would be like me going to Italy to get to see George Clooney.

Come back anytime and I'll show you around.
Might take you up on your offer one day.
Old 22 July 2021, 12:02 PM   #87
M45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
With all due respect this is total nonsense.

Apple just finished building its Death Star in Silicon Valley. Hollywood has ALWAYS had productions in other parts of the country. And there is no such thing as “Hollywood”. That’s just a myth for the “ little people out there in the dark”.

It’s actually a bunch of production companies making entertainment for play on various media. The era of 5 studios ended in the middle of last century.

Lots of companies move offices around, some are post office boxes in Ireland and the Bahamas. Lots of companies have head offices one place and production somewhere else. Lots of people telecommute now and can live anywhere, but thinking business are running for the border is a little exaggerated.

People have been proclaiming death notices for California for decades and it went from 9th largest economy to 5th.

Populations shift all the time, that’s the ebb and flow of life.
Strange that companies always “move offices around” to where there are less taxes and you can pay your employees less.
Old 22 July 2021, 12:24 PM   #88
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
We have room for you here Paul.
Old 22 July 2021, 12:25 PM   #89
DLRIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
My understanding is those who are fleeing CA (whatever the number may be) are going Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Montana.
I know several individuals in ID and MT, and they are NOT happy, ………… just what I hear.

Many comedic/satirical vids like this are floating floating around on the web. Caution ……….. could be offensive ! Sorry Paul, thought this was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwRtaMkOCM
Old 22 July 2021, 12:29 PM   #90
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
THE University of California is in Berkeley.
I Beg to Differ!!!!!!

THE University Of California San Diego I hear they had a good Lacrosse team there many years ago. I hate to admit it, but Berkley was a very good team. I made Varsity my sophomore year, so played against them six times in my career, not including playoffs. if I remember correctly, we only won once in the regular season. I DO remember in the PAC 10 tournament we upset them one year, (but lost to Washington in the championship )

OH Good! I am going to use this post as an excuse to post my pic again
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 11DC5339-D109-4E68-ACAD-D2F84C73DA6D.jpeg (109.7 KB, 195 views)
Closed Thread