The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22 July 2021, 12:35 PM   #91
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Paul,you always have a room here!
Old 22 July 2021, 01:29 PM   #92
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
Paul,you always have a room here!
Old 22 July 2021, 01:36 PM   #93
shredder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
I have spoken to people who have left San Francisco because it’s just too damn expensive and too dangerous and when I confronted them that this is what they voted for, they just have a blank look on their faces and say that “it’s more complicated than that.”
I would like to hear their elaboration.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 22 July 2021, 01:44 PM   #94
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
With all due respect this is total nonsense
Agree that the film industry is now international, but a quick Google search will reveal pages and pages of data with the exodus starting years ago prior to the pandemic and only accelerating after Covid. Austin and Miami are on the rise as they become mini versions of Silicon Valley. Disney just "relocated" 2000 jobs last week from Anaheim to Orlando.... Oracle and other big names have already left. The real difficult question would be what companies have relocated to California.
Old 22 July 2021, 01:51 PM   #95
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
THE University of California is in Berkeley.
Have at it .
Old 22 July 2021, 02:27 PM   #96
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I don't have a dog in this but I will say its hip to slag Cali and most of the gripe comes from within, yet people stay or go back.
Old 22 July 2021, 02:36 PM   #97
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
I Love San Diego, CA! Things change and California is a leader in change. I'm not disillusioned with some of the negative things happening in the State but there are so many good things that outweigh them. IMHO No question it is expensive here and it's not for everyone but we're staying! The California Dream is Still Alive For Us!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 22 July 2021, 05:12 PM   #98
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I recently saw a documentary on the impending “Big One” that’s likely to hit LA in our lifetime. I love me some CA, but if that impending colossal disaster is as big as they expect it to be, it will destroy the CA economy and threaten the country’s overall economy. It’ll take years and historic amounts of resources to dig out and rebuild the area, not to mention the unimaginably tragic loss of life that will occur. It will likely end up being the greatest natural disaster in our country’s history and will affect all of us in some way.
Old 22 July 2021, 08:29 PM   #99
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
I Love San Diego, CA! Things change and California is a leader in change. I'm not disillusioned with some of the negative things happening in the State but there are so many good things that outweigh them. IMHO No question it is expensive here and it's not for everyone but we're staying! The California Dream is Still Alive For Us!
Thus sums it up nicely, and I too like to think about the numerous positives of the state that you can't get anywhere else versus dwelling on the negative.
Old 22 July 2021, 08:55 PM   #100
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

California is a victim of its own success.

Decades of promotion through, early Holywood, the Mamas & Papas and the Beach Boys etc, the modern Holywood/California love fest in movies such as Bottle Shock, Cluless, etc, etc, etc.

You should have kept it a secret, guys!

We have lunatics making TV programmes entitled "my favourite, secret place"
broadcast, on National TV.....WHAT!!!!!!

The sad truth is, there are already too many of us on this planet.
Even a Global Pandemic ain't gonna slow us down, were far too adept at solving whatever 'time' throws at us.
So we will continue to multiply exponentialy, 'till eventually even the future 'bread baskets' of the world (Africa, South America) won't sustain us all.
Water, not, Space be the future cause of wars.

So, California enjoy what you have, for its the last time you'll look like today.
Old 22 July 2021, 09:07 PM   #101
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
You are absolutely right.

Only partially ………………………. historically, it is evident to me that MOST representative type governments (states included) fall prey to three human derived conditions/actions.

) Unqualified electorate
) Citizens learning to vote themselves the treasury
) Politicians using the treasury to acquire votes

Generational snowball effect that can not be reversed
Old 22 July 2021, 10:34 PM   #102
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I recently saw a documentary on the impending “Big One” that’s likely to hit LA in our lifetime. I love me some CA, but if that impending colossal disaster is as big as they expect it to be, it will destroy the CA economy and threaten the country’s overall economy. It’ll take years and historic amounts of resources to dig out and rebuild the area, not to mention the unimaginably tragic loss of life that will occur. It will likely end up being the greatest natural disaster in our country’s history and will affect all of us in some way.
It's kind of amusing about always hearing about 'the big one". In-laws in Wisconsin call all the time and say, I just saw you had an earthquake, are you alright.

The fact of the matter is I've lived here for 30 some years and felt maybe 3 earthquakes. Meanwhile every other part of the country has floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc etc and they have earthquakes as well.

Not saying we couldn't be wiped out tomorrow by the big one, but I've lived here 11,000 days of pretty nice weather and climate and I can't say that about where other people live.

Actually due to climate change, drought and fires are now a bigger concern than earthquakes.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:48 PM   #103
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Agree that the film industry is now international, but a quick Google search will reveal pages and pages of data with the exodus starting years ago prior to the pandemic and only accelerating after Covid. Austin and Miami are on the rise as they become mini versions of Silicon Valley. Disney just "relocated" 2000 jobs last week from Anaheim to Orlando.... Oracle and other big names have already left. The real difficult question would be what companies have relocated to California.
There is definitely an ebb and flow of people and corporations for various reasons. Perhaps the number one being housing. When I lived in Silicon Valley in the 90s, people that worked in tech would often commute for 2-4 hours a day to get back and forth to work because to afford a house they lived out in the sticks.

Covid is going to be a big catalyst on work from home and how that plays out in the next few years will be huge. And corporations will take advantage by moving to other areas with cheap real estate, and you may see pay drop as a result. It costs you less to live here and we will now pay you less. They now have a larger pool to draw from as well since you don't have to live close.

Real estate has always been a major factor in corporate strategy. Don't like labor costs, build a factory in China, or out in a field somewhere in the middle of nowhere as long as there is cheap labor there. Silicon Valley annexed land all the way down and through San Jose from it's base around Stanford. Cheap land (until it wasn't), and a talent pool from Stanford. LA was a choice for early Hollywood due to weather. And weather dictated the growth. But after a while the cost of real estate changes the dynamic and people look elsewhere. Just the ebb and flow.

Not sure people in Austin are going to love this new reality either with the massive influx.

But I think California will be fine.

Here's some stories on it.....

https://beausoleil.medium.com/tech-c...b-616bb76a6350

https://www.kqed.org/news/11851866/v...siness-horizon

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/u...tion-loss.html
Old 22 July 2021, 10:55 PM   #104
Brew
"TRF" Member

If I get stuck behind the same traffic light for two cycles, I'm in intolerable traffic. You folks can have your various cities and whatnot. I'll stay here in god's country, with an occasional visit to the Adirondacks.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:01 PM   #105
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Yesterday, the governor publicly invited the world's homeless to move to California where they will be taken care of. Interesting strategy.

No one mentioned that California has the most expensive workers' compensation system in the country by far. The amount of work comp fraud is completely out of control and no one in power cares. We have customers who's profits are being completely eaten up defending frivolous suits resulting in people collecting indemnity payments indefinitely to stay home. It's a massive welfare system.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:05 PM   #106
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
As someone living in Austin, TX I am thinking of moving to San Diego. Property tax is insane here, and frankly Austin doesn't offer much when compared to a 'real' city. If we have rampant homelessness, a dirty unsafe DT, and tons of traffic from visitors I'd rather live close to a beach.

Grass is always greener elsewhere.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:17 PM   #107
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Will try to color in within the lines to not get this thread closed.

I lived around US, extensively travelled around the world, and called Cali my home for the most part of my life. We moved to South East for a variety of reasons, but I know that I will move back.

What many people don't realize is that every place has problems. Cali is a favorite punchbag of many political pundits, so there is a certain amount of overexposure. But I dare you to find a perfect place in the US (or the world) and do it objectively.

Those who say that housing is cheaper outside CA, ought to understand that there is a reason for that. Housing prices tend to go up in economic centers. That's just how it is. You also have to ask yourself how much of a house do you need. I do not buy the housing argument alone because it is just one piece of the equation that goes into my quality of life.

Speaking of which, quality of life is what you make it. Good weather, good food, ability to do watersports and go to the mountains with ease -- these are the things I value and there are only a few places in the world where I can get them. Cali's probably the most affordable out of all of those places. So here I come.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:35 PM   #108
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
California is a victim of its own success.

Decades of promotion through, early Holywood, the Mamas & Papas and the Beach Boys etc, the modern Holywood/California love fest in movies such as Bottle Shock, Cluless, etc, etc, etc.

You should have kept it a secret, guys!

We have lunatics making TV programmes entitled "my favourite, secret place"
broadcast, on National TV.....WHAT!!!!!!

So, California enjoy what you have, for its the last time you'll look like today.
Funny you mentioned the Beach Boys.

I remember freezing my a$$ off in Alberta Canada when I was in my teens and hearing the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean, and watching surfer movies with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello and thinking what the hell am I doing here.

Took me a while but by the 80s I was living beside the beach and while riding my bike along the bike path beside the ocean on Christmas Day at 80 degrees, I said, I ain't never going back to the snow.

LA is a very transient place. Almost nobody is from here. They all came from somewhere else. Some stay and some become disillusioned and leave. Nobody in my circle of friends was from California. My future wife was from Wisconsin. My best friend was from North Carolina and wanted to be an actor. But the place is a state of mind. You can't capture it, you only participate in it. Some people it eats them alive and some people thrive. Some just leave.
Old 23 July 2021, 12:01 AM   #109
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

The fact of the matter is I've lived here for 30 some years and felt maybe 3 earthquakes. Meanwhile every other part of the country has floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc etc and they have earthquakes as well.
This is exactly why I choose to live right here in Southeastern PA! It is what I found to be one of the safest places on the planet when it comes to Mother Nature and her moods.....If by chance we do get a smack, it's a mild backhanded one.

But my oldest son just moved to LA, so there's that?

And your room is ready too Blansky!
Old 23 July 2021, 12:16 AM   #110
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post

And your room is ready too Blansky!
Thanks Don. When the big one hits, I'm coming in a hurry. And don't give away my room to that VTCGuy. He's seems to be covering all his bases.
Old 23 July 2021, 01:09 AM   #111
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Is it just me or are these California / NY is dying articles almost like an annual thing?

Isn't this a less than 1% decrease? Seems premature to clutch pearls over this. A few months ago there were a few threads where numerous forum members were saying NY was going to take a long time to recover, if ever, and yet it seems to be the opposite.
Not sure how it can seem to be the opposite. New York has not recovered at all based on the numbers. 20% of office spaces are now vacant with nobody renting them. The other 80% that are rented are empty with most of their employees working remotely (some permanently or hybrid). The buses and trains are at half (or even less) capacity, 20% of the storefronts are closed and crime & homelessness are at an all time high. Not sure how it can get back on track now that the cat's out of the bag > you can work remotely and never have to take the miserable train back to the miserable office.
Old 23 July 2021, 01:22 AM   #112
Thug
"TRF" Member

I mean it will be a while before it goes back to precovid numbers but I think city employees are work in office again? And a lot of the F500s currently have a September return date (might be pushed back due to Delta). My employer is doing hybrid and I suspect it’s the same for a lot of others. Rent has certainly been slowly creeping up again (again, probably not back to precovid numbers but not falling / landlords not offering as many incentives).
Old 23 July 2021, 01:33 AM   #113
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
I got the heck out !
Left La Mesa for a prairie in Arizona.
Buy bye Nuisance Newsome.
Got me some piece of mind, fresh air, sounds of coyotes at night and and views even a La Jollan could love !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Old 23 July 2021, 01:44 AM   #114
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Will try to color in within the lines to not get this thread closed.

I lived around US, extensively travelled around the world, and called Cali my home for the most part of my life. We moved to South East for a variety of reasons, but I know that I will move back.

What many people don't realize is that every place has problems. Cali is a favorite punchbag of many political pundits, so there is a certain amount of overexposure. But I dare you to find a perfect place in the US (or the world) and do it objectively.

Those who say that housing is cheaper outside CA, ought to understand that there is a reason for that. Housing prices tend to go up in economic centers. That's just how it is. You also have to ask yourself how much of a house do you need. I do not buy the housing argument alone because it is just one piece of the equation that goes into my quality of life.

Speaking of which, quality of life is what you make it. Good weather, good food, ability to do watersports and go to the mountains with ease -- these are the things I value and there are only a few places in the world where I can get them. Cali's probably the most affordable out of all of those places. So here I come.
- You'll sing another tune after about 3 days of being in Cali as a resident.

I lived 30 minutes in any direction to find mountains, the sea, another country and you couldn't pay me to move back. I enjoyed the La Jolla cove kayaking and stand up paddle boarding, scuba and the incredible hiking and golfing San Diego has to offer...
I even thought of renting my La Mesa home and thought about sticking a rod in my nose and turning the power on for about two seconds; never again would that part of my brain fn like that again. SOLD the house in 2 days flat - $50k over ask and did not bat an eye at the other 8 offers; one at 60 over ask!

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Old 23 July 2021, 02:13 AM   #115
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Born and raised in SD and finishing up my career in 4yrs, 8 mo, 10 days, 50 min and 21 seconds! A lot of my friends are moving out of the state to the Dakotas, Montana, Wash and Idaho, and I tell them good luck and Ill be here if you come back to visit.

Sure its pricey, mostly in part to that orangish thing in the sky! But not to call anyone an idiot, but you gotta know the price of things here when you come and gotta be willing to accept it (proven by gas prices).
Old 23 July 2021, 02:25 AM   #116
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
I still love California

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2021, 03:30 AM   #117
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Florida is worse. Don’t move here.
Ya know, you are 100% right.

Please, for God sake everyone don't move to FL.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 23 July 2021, 03:45 AM   #118
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Ya know, you are 100% right.

Please, for God sake everyone don't move to FL.
Human nature.

Everyone wants to close the gate after THEY get in.
Old 23 July 2021, 03:54 AM   #119
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
CA is wonderful. Expensive and poorly run but wonderful. I’ve been everywhere in this country and would prefer to live nowhere else. Snowboard and surf in the same day, my house ain’t losing 30% overnight in some weird bubble, lots of business opportunities, etc. it’s expensive, crowded and POORLY run, I’ll concede. Covid saw violent crimes go up everywhere. I don’t think CA has the monopoly on that.
Old 23 July 2021, 04:07 AM   #120
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
FL Sheriff said the same thing to...

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-she...-north-1584798

So if you do move to FL, please don't screw things up here as you did over there. Thank you.

PS.... Ok, to be fair this week in Florida you can come home to a naked woman in your pool. Alas CA fans, think her body parts were 100% natural.

Attachment 1234391
This.

IMO the biggest problem is for those who voted in people that turn the state into a dumpster fire to move to another state and repeat the same thing.
Closed Thread