The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 July 2021, 07:54 AM   #61
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGTHEMOGUL View Post
I'm ready to buy a rose gold Day-date 40 and I'm trying to decide between two dials and I could use your opinions.

I'm between the chocolate baguette diamond dial and the olive dial.

Assuming you liked both of them equally which one would you go with?

Do you think one has the potential to hold its value better or even possibly appreciate more than the other?

Thanks in advance!
Definitely Olive-if you can get it.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 08:40 AM   #62
dannyp
Banned

In general, gem-set dials seem to hold value less than their stoneless counterparts (Platona aside).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:11 AM   #63
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Friend bought a new WG DD40 from grey with rhodium dial and sent it to RSC for a dial swap to olive green, paid for swap like $700. Saved like $2k versus WG with olive dial.

Point is dials can be swapped, better to look for best deal on the watch regardless of dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Great advice
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:59 AM   #64
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Definitely Olive-if you can get it.
There's plenty out there if I'm willing to pay $55k.
BGTHEMOGUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:59 AM   #65
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
In general, gem-set dials seem to hold value less than their stoneless counterparts (Platona aside).
Interesting I would've thought the opposite!
Old 26 July 2021, 11:09 AM   #66
byte
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date 40
Quote:
Diamond bezels are less universal.
byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 11:18 AM   #67
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte View Post
Diamond bezels are less universal.
I'm referring to dials not bezels.
Old 26 July 2021, 02:07 PM   #68
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
THAT is a sick picture!!

El Jefe de Jefes of watches.
Quote:
Beautiful watch! Did you get from an AD or on the secondary market?
Thanks guys... i bought it prior to Covid from one of our trusty grey dealers brand new with stickers for 45... worth way way more now but doesn't matter to me, just funny cause usually factory full diamond pieces didn't command premium however now everything has flipped

Quote:
That was in the past , things are very diff now....
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:05 PM   #69
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Thanks guys... i bought it prior to Covid from one of our trusty grey dealers brand new with stickers for 45... worth way way more now but doesn't matter to me, just funny cause usually factory full diamond pieces didn't command premium however now everything has flipped
Nice I wish I could buy that watch for $45k. Great looking piece!
Old 26 July 2021, 10:23 PM   #70
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Chocolate dial sans diamonds. These can be had for 43k or less. Best bang for buck. David’s got one right now. Btw I have both a chocolate and an olive on order from my ad. So I’ll have a similar dilemma on which one to keep
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:54 PM   #71
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
Chocolate dial sans diamonds. These can be had for 43k or less. Best bang for buck. David’s got one right now. Btw I have both a chocolate and an olive on order from my ad. So I’ll have a similar dilemma on which one to keep
All the chocolate roman dials I've seen are in the $45-50k range so $43k or less sounds pretty good. The baguette dials I've seen are in the $55k range. When is your AD supposed to be getting your pieces? I'm planning to call all the AD's in the area today just to see what type of wait times they quote me.
Old 26 July 2021, 11:13 PM   #72
ROBERT1183
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX SOON
I didnt think I would be a fan of the chocolate on the rose. But it compliments it very well. Its a tough decision. I dont think youd make a wrong choice going with either.
ROBERT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 12:14 AM   #73
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
I didnt think I would be a fan of the chocolate on the rose. But it compliments it very well. Its a tough decision. I dont think youd make a wrong choice going with either.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 27 July 2021, 12:31 AM   #74
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
The way I look at it, there are two things that contribute to the "value" of a Rolex:

1. The fact that it's a Rolex.
2. The materials used to produce it (PM, gems).

People will pay a significantly larger premium for the former over the latter. A Pepsi GMT trades for about 150% over retail, while a WG (non-meteorite) trades for about 20% over retail.

The WG holds its value (compared to MSRP) in ways PM models never did before, so it's quite desirable and doesn't depreciate (in this climate). But it doesn't trade at the same premium as its stainless counterpart.

With diamond indices, the diamond versions still cost more than comparable non-diamond, but they don't trade at quite the same percentage premium.

This is a good barometer, just because they have so many options:

https://www.authenticwatches.com/rol...:40mm&s=1&p=50

RG/chocolate DD40 w/diamonds is only about $2,500 more than RG/chocolate w/o. Both trade significantly above MSRP but the diamond/non-diamond differential is even smaller than at MSRP.

Quote:

I'm not saying they don't hold value (as in they depreciate instantly the way they used to), just that they don't hold as much/trade for a lower % premium when compared to otherwise similar models without stones.

I am assuming that at some point things will stabilize, at least somewhat, and to me this is indicative of what pieces will hold onto their premiums the longest/still trade for the highest amounts relative to MSRP.
Old 27 July 2021, 12:37 AM   #75
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I'll steer you towards an option that you didn't provide but one that I'm biased towards.

Old 27 July 2021, 12:41 AM   #76
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
The way I look at it, there are two things that contribute to the "value" of a Rolex:

People will pay a significantly larger premium for the former over the latter. A Pepsi GMT trades for about 150% over retail, while a WG (non-meteorite) trades for about 20% over retail.

The WG holds its value (compared to MSRP) in ways PM models never did before, so it's quite desirable and doesn't depreciate (in this climate). But it doesn't trade at the same premium as its stainless counterpart.

With diamond indices, the diamond versions still cost more than comparable non-diamond, but they don't trade at quite the same percentage premium.

RG/chocolate DD40 w/diamonds is only about $2,500 more than RG/chocolate w/o. Both trade significantly above MSRP but the diamond/non-diamond differential is even smaller than at MSRP.
Great input thanks for sharing. You mentioned the R/G chocolate Day-Date with baguette dial is only about $2,500 more than one without but I don't see that. From what I've seen, roman dials are going for $43-48k whereas baguette dials are going for $53-59k. If you're finding baguette dials for $45-50k please let me know where so I can grab one!
Old 27 July 2021, 12:42 AM   #77
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I'll steer you towards an option that you didn't provide but one that I'm biased towards. ]
It's a beautiful watch I just like the baguette dial more especially because my other watches have the diamond dials.
Old 27 July 2021, 12:43 AM   #78
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I'll steer you towards an option that you didn't provide but one that I'm biased towards.

If one is to do a RG DD40, that is the one to do. I know the green dial gets all the hype, but this one is objectively better looking, IMO. Of any watch that Rolex scaled up in size, I think the DD40 w/Romans is by far the best, given how the markers were both stylized and enlarged (as compared to other models/variations).
Old 27 July 2021, 02:27 AM   #79
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:

I'm not saying they don't hold value (as in they depreciate instantly the way they used to), just that they don't hold as much/trade for a lower % premium when compared to otherwise similar models without stones.

I am assuming that at some point things will stabilize, at least somewhat, and to me this is indicative of what pieces will hold onto their premiums the longest/still trade for the highest amounts relative to MSRP.
Well for instance , my rose gold DD 40 full factory diamonds im seeing in 60's now ive seen one as high as 70k.... lets just say 55k even, non diamond bezel or dial are much cheaper

I have same full factory diamond yellow with black dial, again a bit cheaper than rose full diamond but much much more than a 38-40k non diamond black dial piece

My YM gem stone goes without saying, 90-100k more than non gem bezel lol

My dd 40 rose olive dial with factory diamond bezel, again way more than non diamond bezel now also (58-61.5 non highest compared to 68-82k with diamonds)

Cant think of any other compare where diamonds are cheaper in this crazy market , again it completely flipped where it wasnt as desirable to now it being more so because its much less produced/rarer in peoples eyes !

What were your examples just curious ?

iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 03:52 AM   #80
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Great input thanks for sharing. You mentioned the R/G chocolate Day-Date with baguette dial is only about $2,500 more than one without but I don't see that. From what I've seen, roman dials are going for $43-48k whereas baguette dials are going for $53-59k. If you're finding baguette dials for $45-50k please let me know where so I can grab one!
Well, I was going by the link in my previous post, where the secondary dealer is selling the non-diamond version for $55k, lol.

Are you comparing unworn to unworn/used to used?

There are also some diamond dials that trade at huge premiums, but in those cases there really aren't non-diamond equivalents. Eisenkiesel DD40 and green DD36 come to mind.

I still believe that if you break a Rolex down into its various elements, the highest value raw materials trade at a lower multiple to their portion of MSRP than the "because it's a Rolex" components. At least this is what I'd expect in the long run.

When things do even out, PM and gemstones would probably be the first to return to previous levels.

I can't afford to buy any Rolex on the secondary market, but from a value retention standpoint, these are the kind that would concern me most.

But, hey, secondary market pricing on virtually every Rolex is absolutely stupid these days, it's just a matter of degree .
Old 27 July 2021, 04:00 AM   #81
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Well for instance , my rose gold DD 40 full factory diamonds im seeing in 60's now ive seen one as high as 70k.... lets just say 55k even, non diamond bezel or dial are much cheaper

I have same full factory diamond yellow with black dial, again a bit cheaper than rose full diamond but much much more than a 38-40k non diamond black dial piece

My YM gem stone goes without saying, 90-100k more than non gem bezel lol

My dd 40 rose olive dial with factory diamond bezel, again way more than non diamond bezel now also (58-61.5 non highest compared to 68-82k with diamonds)

Cant think of any other compare where diamonds are cheaper in this crazy market , again it completely flipped where it wasnt as desirable to now it being more so because its much less produced/rarer in peoples eyes !

What were your examples just curious ?

I'm not saying that versions with gemstones go for less, I said they seem to go for a lower multiple of MSRP. Seems to hold with those DDs you're referencing and the prices you're quoting.

No question they all trade above MSRP, though.
Old 27 July 2021, 04:31 AM   #82
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

So I just called one of the local AD's in my area and they said if I come in and give a 20% deposit they can order me the rose gold chocolate baguette or chocolate roman but it will take about a year to get. They're not even allowed to order the olive dial. Just figured I'd share that information in case it helps anyone else. The other AD's in the area that I called just said the usual that they can take my information and call me if they get something. Now I have to decide if I want to place the order and wait a year to get one at retail.
Old 27 July 2021, 04:39 AM   #83
dannyp
Banned

As difficult as it would be for me, I’d wait the year. I also prefer to get via AD.

Will they allow you to put down deposit for “whichever comes first” (as long as it’s 20% off more expensive one)? Or will they not place order for both?

Look at it this way: you can buy a couple other watches with the extra $20,000 saved to those you over :).
Old 27 July 2021, 04:43 AM   #84
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
As difficult as it would be for me, I’d wait the year. I also prefer to get via AD.

Will they allow you to put down deposit for “whichever comes first” (as long as it’s 20% off more expensive one)? Or will they not place order for both?

Look at it this way: you can buy a couple other watches with the extra $20,000 saved to those you over :).
They said they would configure the watch with me and place the order so I don't think I'd be able to order multiple and take whichever comes first. It sounds like it would be for one specifically. They said they have 3 rose gold Day-Dates coming in but those are 6-12 months out and are special orders for customers. They also didn't specify what dials those were.
Old 27 July 2021, 04:49 AM   #85
dannyp
Banned

We’ll, perhaps ask if you could order both, with 20% down on each, then applying both deposits to the first to arrive and letting them sell the second one to someone else?

Will they tell you what configurations others ordered? At least that way if one of your selections overlaps you can choose the other and be sure you’ll get the first to arrive, as opposed to the second.
Old 27 July 2021, 07:50 AM   #86
WalterW
"TRF" Member

They said up to 12 months. But 43k is pretty much retail after taxes anyways. Might as well go for it. You might even get him down to 42k. Worth a shot at least
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 08:42 AM   #87
Marco Panti
"TRF" Member

Would you consider the Eisenkiesel dial?

Marco Panti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 08:58 AM   #88
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Panti View Post
Would you consider the Eisenkiesel dial?

That one goes for a wayyyyy higher premium than either other brown dial. At least the few listings I've seen have been.
Old 27 July 2021, 09:38 AM   #89
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
The olive looks beautiful, but I am not really a green fan. I would go chocolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 09:47 AM   #90
RolexRon456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.jaztime.com/rolex-day-da...gold-president

FYI, the price can be increased if they need to source one.
RolexRon456 is offline   Reply With Quote