The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2021, 07:20 AM   #1
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
You have the wafch, I have the time

Hi everyone. Allow me to share with you a tale on happines and wisdom from a Touareg. I was moved reading his story. Made me realise that maybe I should appreciate more the simple things in life.

Full article here.

The interview with a man from the desert: "You have the wafch, I have the time"

The men of the desert are the Tuareg population, who travel the Sahara desert without having anything and, therefore, having everything

In February 2007, the back cover of the newspaper La Vanguardia showed the interview that Víctor Amela conducted with a Tuareg, a nomadic inhabitant of the Sahara desert. "A man in blue" as they are known, which can be found in Algeria, Libya, Nigeria, Mali Mauritania and Burkina Faso. The phrase of Moussa Ag Assarid, the interviewee, continues to travel the planet as a message, perhaps as an invitation to true life: "You have the watch, I have the time."

The Tuareg are a nomadic people, free, without owner or leaders. They are characterized by not having ties or attachments and in this way more than 3.5 million individuals were able to group together. His religion is Islam and silence is his best companion, to be able to appreciate nature and family.

"The blue lords of the desert and the masters of their lives" is how the Tuareg are defined by those who have had the opportunity to meet them.

Here is Amela's interview with Moussa Ag Assarid, who later became a distinguished writer.

How old are you?

I don't know my age: I was born in the Sahara desert, without papers…

I was born in a nomadic Tuareg camp between Timbuktu and Gao, in the north of Mali. I have been a shepherd of my father's camels, goats, lambs and cows. Today I study Management at Montpellier University (France). I'm single. I defend the Tuareg herders. I'm Muslim.

What a beautiful turban ...!

It is a fine cotton fabric: it allows you to cover your face in the desert when sand rises, and at the same time continue to see and breathe through it.

It is a beautiful blue ...

We Tuareg called us blue men for this: the fabric fades something and our skin takes on bluish tints ...

How do they make that intense indigo blue?

With a plant called indigo, mixed with other natural pigments. Blue, for the Tuareg, is the color of the world.

Why?

It is the dominant color: that of the sky, the roof of our house.

Who are the Tuareg?

Tuareg means "abandoned", because we are an old nomadic people of the desert, lonely, proud: "Lords of the Desert", they call us. Our ethnic group is the Amazigh (Berber), and our alphabet, the Tifinagh .

How many?

About three million, and most still nomads. But the population is decreasing ... "Is it necessary for a town to disappear so that we know that it existed ?!" a wise man once denounced: I fight to preserve this town.

What do you do?

We herd herds of camels, goats, lambs, cows and donkeys in a kingdom of infinity and silence ...

Really? How quiet is the desert?

If you are alone in that silence, you hear the beat of your own heart. There is no better place to be yourself.

What memories of your childhood in the desert do you keep most clearly?

I wake up with the sun. There are my father's goats. They give us milk and meat, we take them to where there is grass and water… So did my great-grandfather, and my grandfather, and my father… And me. There was nothing else in the world but that, and I was very happy like that!

Yes? It doesn't seem very stimulating ...

Well it was, and a lot. At seven years old, they already let you leave the camp, for which they teach you the important things: to sniff the air, listen, sharpen your eyes, orient yourself by the sun and the stars ... And to let yourself be carried away by the camel, if you get lost : will take you to where there is water.

Knowing that is valuable, without a doubt ...

Everything is simple and profound there. There are very few things, and each one has enormous value!

So this world and that world are very different, right?

There, every little thing brings happiness. Every touch is valuable. We feel a great joy for the simple fact of touching each other, of being together! Nobody dreams of becoming because each one already is.

What struck you the most on your first trip to Europe?

I saw people running through the airport ... In the desert you only run if a sandstorm comes! I was scared, of course ...

They would just go get the suitcases, ha ha ...

Yes, that was it. I also saw posters of naked girls: why this lack of respect for women? I asked myself… Later, at the Ibis hotel, I saw the first tap of my life: I saw the water running… and I felt like crying.

What abundance, what waste, right?

All the days of my life had consisted of fetching water! When I see the sources of adornment here and there, I still feel such immense pain inside ...

As much as that?

Yes. At the beginning of the 90's there was a great drought, the animals died, we fell ill… I was about twelve years old and my mother died… She was everything to me! She told me stories and taught me to count them well. He taught me to be myself.

What happened with his family?

I convinced my father to let me go to school. Almost every day I walked ten miles. Until the teacher left me a bed to sleep in, and a lady fed me as I passed her house ... I understood that my mother was helping me ...

Where did that passion for school come from?

That a couple of years earlier the Paris-Dakar rally had passed through the camp and a journalist dropped a book from her backpack. I picked it up and gave it to him. He gave it to me and told me about that book: The Little Prince . I promised myself that one day I would be able to read it ...

And he achieve it.

Yes. And that's how I got a scholarship to study in France.

A Tuareg at the university. ..!

Ah, what I miss the most here is camel's milk… And the wood fire. And walk barefoot over the warm sand. And the stars: there we look at them every night, and each star is different from another, as each goat is different… Here, at night, you watch TV.

Yes ... What is the worst thing about here?

You have everything, but it is not enough for you. You complain. In France they spend their lives complaining! You chain yourself to a bank for life and there is a desire to possess, a frenzy, a rush ... There are no traffic jams in the desert and do you know why? Because there nobody wants to overtake anyone!

Give me a moment of intense happiness in your distant desert.

It is every day, two hours before sunset: the heat goes down, and the cold has not arrived, and men and animals slowly return to the camp and their profiles are outlined in a pink, blue, red, yellow, green sky ...

Fascinating, of course ...

It's a magical moment… We all went into the store and boiled tea. Sitting, in silence, we listen to the boil… Calm invades us all: the heartbeat is matched to the pot-pot of the boil…

What peace ...

Here you have watch, there we have time.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote