The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2021, 11:28 PM   #31
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Absolutely!

Look at the innovation of the Rolex SkyD movement and compare to Patek's annual calendar. Rolex truly is an amazing complication that also ensures a high waterproofness too. Very usable as a daily for people who love office life AND the ocean. Five-year warranty too.

If you mean true high-quality movement decoration, then obviously you'll want FP Journe.

So yes, take your pic if you want incredible innovation (Rolex) or perhaps the very best in movement decoration (FP Journe). How would you compare FP Journe to PP when it comes to offering truly excellent movement handwork?

Here's a video of the SkyD movement, look at all that incredible innovation!

https://youtu.be/abHr5TOu6m4

Am sure you already know of FP Journe's greatness so....
Agree. In fact I think they should be more actively compared. A Skydweller vs 5726A for example make for a very interesting comparison.

Currently a SKydweller SS costs: $15K vs PP 5726A = $53K

Both are blue, on bracelet, and water-resistant. I think its definately interesting to debate the $40K difference (let alone secondary market delta) of the 2. My opinion is that I think the 5726 is priced correctly whereas the Skydweller is way too cheap and should be priced at least above $20K at retail.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 11:30 PM   #32
911AP
"TRF" Member

You all are just underestimate the effect of instagram....... It's that sample. Hype controls any market now, fundamentals no longer matter.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 11:33 PM   #33
R.bartlett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Trends come and go and are impossible to predict. All I know is that it is great the younger generation is still into watches. Whatever their reason is it keeps our hobby alive. One day once they get bored of the usual popular sports watches, they will gravitate towards dress watches. We might already be seeing signs of this with rising values of Lange etc
I'd take a Lange over a Journe any day.. The Journe hands drive me mad..
R.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 12:47 AM   #34
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksakti View Post
If you notice most of FP Journe pieces, the word FP Journe in the dial is very big for most of the models, so most people who knows FP Journe will know that its Journe from a distance. Not saying that its bad, but the branding in the dial is quite flashy and not subtle, and i guess thats part of the appeal.

“FP Journe” is written “very big” and prominently on this watch? Larger and more prominently than other brands? Larger than “A. Lange & Sohne” on the Datograph or “Vacheron Constantin” on the OS shown below?

“FP Journe” is written at the top along what would be a minute track in a normal watch. Hardly very big or flashy.

It’s the design of his watches and dials that makes his watches unique and recognizable (and not flashy IMHO) by those who know Journe, not the size of the text of the brand’s name on the dial.

Old 15 August 2021, 01:08 AM   #35
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
“FP Journe” is written “very big” and prominently on this watch? Larger and more prominently than other brands? Larger than “A. Lange & Sohne” on the Datograph or “Vacheron Constantin” on the OS shown below?

“FP Journe” is written at the top along what would be a minute track in a normal watch. Hardly very big or flashy.

It’s the design of his watches and dials that makes his watches unique and recognizable (and not flashy IMHO) by those who know Journe, not the size of the text of the brand’s name on the dial.

Was thinking the same! Not quite a response to the OP’s original question but the size of the FP Journe is hardly the reason his dials are recognizable LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 02:36 AM   #36
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
The most significant factor is numbers produced. If there are sufficient models of a complicated manner they will not be deemed collectible. When a model is produced in a figure, let’s say, a dozen, and it has intricate complications, collectors will pay big bucks. Take the Nautilus, is it rare, were only a very few made, no. Don’t confuse the ridiculous prices, men are paying today, for a watch that can be had from any number of sources, new or pre-owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:49 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenlover View Post
I don’t think the Pound is that influential outside of Europe. Brexit may have been a factor but I don’t think it played more than a minor role. There are other forces at work here in my opinion.
Brexit was the catalyst, without it we may still today be in a fairly normal market as the stockmarket had been buoyant for a few years already by 16 so that was no great driver of prices, then after 16 we had QE, Chinese buying due to gift laws relaxing, Crypto and the rise of socials that have all sustained the rising market, but none caused it all to change overnight in a major market that then spread like wildfire in this interconnected world, there are no international barriers any more.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:17 AM   #38
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
I think FP Journe has seen an increase in price mainly due to only producing around 1000 pieces a year.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:50 AM   #39
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I just hope that watches depreciate less than a car. Happy with any that meet this.

Using a casual (I like blue calf) strap helps the complicated watches work fine with informal clothing.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:38 AM   #40
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
I think FP Journe has seen an increase in price mainly due to only producing around 1000 pieces a year.
And innovation plus overall quality. Their finishing work is excellent. ALS does nice work too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:48 AM   #41
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

i'm in jeans, sneakers, and t-shirt/polo shirt everyday - even for work.

I work out almost every day

I need a sports watch. I don't need a dress watch ever

Last wedding I went to suit and tie, I wore my Daytona 116500, which fit perfectly under my french cuff.

So absolutely no need for a dress watch on a crocodile strap

But that's just me
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 06:01 AM   #42
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
i'm in jeans, sneakers, and t-shirt/polo shirt everyday - even for work.

I work out almost every day

I need a sports watch. I don't need a dress watch ever

Last wedding I went to suit and tie, I wore my Daytona 116500, which fit perfectly under my french cuff.

So absolutely no need for a dress watch on a crocodile strap

But that's just me
No one “needs” any of this. Its a matter of style. I love sports watches and that is most of my collection. But if I can throw on a real haute horology complicated piece in that scenario it is so much more enjoyable! Versatility isnt everything sometimes.
Old 15 August 2021, 06:38 AM   #43
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
And innovation plus overall quality. Their finishing work is excellent. ALS does nice work too.
It's a fact that Lange is able to maintain high quality in all models, even the basic ones, which cannot be said about the PP.

For comparison, Lange produces 5 times more watches than FP Journe.
Old 15 August 2021, 06:51 AM   #44
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
plus the major advertisement of a certain grey market dealer
Old 15 August 2021, 07:03 AM   #45
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No one “needs” any of this. Its a matter of style. I love sports watches and that is most of my collection. But if I can throw on a real haute horology complicated piece in that scenario it is so much more enjoyable! Versatility isnt everything sometimes.
agreed not needed... but certainly, for me, it is preferred
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 07:31 AM   #46
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Lange over FP Journe, 100%..
Old 15 August 2021, 07:55 AM   #47
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
This is spot on

Yep great Analysis :-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 08:01 AM   #48
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Was at a swanky place last night. Saw no joke like 20+ rolex watches. Pepsi/daytonas etc. I was there with my 5296 and struck a convo with someone with a PAM out of all pieces. Way more enjoyable.
Old 15 August 2021, 09:37 AM   #49
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Was at a swanky place last night. Saw no joke like 20+ rolex watches. Pepsi/daytonas etc. I was there with my 5296 and struck a convo with someone with a PAM out of all pieces. Way more enjoyable.

From a ratio perspective, I would guess that more PAM owners like to discuss watches than a Rolex owner.

Naturally not on this forum, but in an “everyday” situation
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 11:35 AM   #50
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Suddenly after NYC2LA’s post I find myself wanting three more watches.

I find this sentence from Ramenlover so insightful: To most people they’re just round watches, and Complications are just round watches with more busy dials.

So right, in my early days. No way I could tell the difference between a circle case gran complication from one brand to another. But easy to see date bubble on a Rolex.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 10:21 PM   #51
Rushne

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
plus the major advertisement of a certain grey market dealer
Exactly. They probably buy up most of them. Don’t get me wrong. I love the, but their prices are not only due to great pieces

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 03:57 AM   #52
SeeDweller

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
This is an awesome analysis - - all of it!
I love RamenLover's original layout. It has the ring of truth to me.

And, I love wearing different watches at different events - and must admit that a large amount of the choice is dependent on the fashion rather than the horologic necessity (even waterproofness!). If I'm wearing a blue sport shirt and jeans at a pool party (like last night) I might put on a Bluesy 16613 on a blue rubber Everest deployment strap. This morning, it gets swapped it out for something in a leather strap, just cause it matches my shoes and belt! Any excuse to wear something different in the rotation!
Hell, ... it's all just for fun, right?

The issue on my mind though .... is how often I'll wear the incoming 5205G-013. It's freaking gorgeous, of course! Guess I need to attend more watch-enthusiast GTG's right?
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 05:40 AM   #53
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I think patek is the best compromise option for your complicated watch.
Meaning yeah they are not outstanding and they are overpriced but that comes with the territory; movements are outdated but reliable… nice dials , history, etc. Actually a Rolex is a great complement to a patek, because Rolex bring to the table what Patek can’t and vice versa.
Journe movements are to die for , but I hate the dial design in general, there are a few that I do like as a whole. Lange is coming up in the market , but I think it’s niche is the Datograph and the Lange 1.
So not a definitive answer here

Just throwing some random thoughts
Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 07:32 AM   #54
911AP
"TRF" Member

Again everyone still is ignoring the basic fact of hype. It has nothing to do with the market or any of this nonsense. What first started was hype. Journe is up only because of hype as well. Supply and demand was always there and the same. Only thing that changed is demand. Why did demand change? Social media hype. That's all. Not Brexit, not crypto, not stocks. It's hype.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 09:24 AM   #55
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Again everyone still is ignoring the basic fact of hype. It has nothing to do with the market or any of this nonsense. What first started was hype. Journe is up only because of hype as well. Supply and demand was always there and the same. Only thing that changed is demand. Why did demand change? Social media hype. That's all. Not Brexit, not crypto, not stocks. It's hype.
agreed hype is hype. some hype is more "just" than others. FP hype is pretty justified imho, more so than PP. Rolex hype is a joke to me
other brands , like Lange, deserve way more hype than they get, and i am currently in the market for those brands
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 09:45 AM   #56
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Beach to boardroom to fine dining versatility.

Luxury in 2021 isn’t as much about opulence as it is about the ability to do whatever, whenever. Want to go party on the boat then maybe a quick private flight to wherever for the next adventure? Sports models are by far the most compatible with the modern, active luxury lifestyle. Sprinkle in the exclusivity factor and they are the slam dunk of dunks!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 10:21 PM   #57
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Another to throw in the mix, I was well impressed with this Jaeger

Old 16 August 2021, 10:43 PM   #58
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
Another to throw in the mix, I was well impressed with this Jaeger

I owned this - very nice watch but didn’t wear much, so I sold it and got crushed on re-sell value. But it was part of a trade toward a FPJ CB, which is now worth almost triple what I got it for, so guess things even themselves out !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 11:16 PM   #59
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac123 View Post
I don’t understand why a super complicated Patek loses a significant amount of its retail price straight after its purchased from an AD and the nautilus / aquanaut range go up in value?

Yes watches should not be bought for investment but it baffles me how 5270p decreases significantly upon purchase and 5167 increases a lot.

What’s you’re thoughts behind the reasons why this happens?

Do you think complications will start to hold their value in the future?
Have you looked at the 5740? It is a complicated watch, but market price is way over list price. I have always predicted when Patek release a PC in a Nautilus, people would go "ga ga" over it. It has happened with the 5740. Patek has yet to release an AC or PC in the Aquanaut, but when it does, it will be quite popular as well.

I have predicted and still predict Patek will make a PCC in a Nautilus case and that will be quite popular as well.

So the question is not about simple or complicated watches. It is about whether the watch is in a "sporty" case or a "dressy" case, even with the same movement inside.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2021, 12:24 AM   #60
ericksakti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

well i said most, not all
ericksakti is offline   Reply With Quote