The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 August 2021, 11:05 PM   #1
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Casio F91W
Picked up a pre-owned 16618 and I am considering some service. Few questions.

1. It has a "Swiss only" dial so I've heard some arguments that it may be a service dial. Should I replace the mostly-dead lume tritium hands to match, so I can easily tell time at night? I prefer telling time at night over originality but curious if there's a counter argument.

2. The original clasp is kind of loose-ish, particularly the diving extension. The claps does snap shut and stays locked in place. The crown on the claps has been polished down some. Should I send to RSC to replace the clasp?

3. The bezel insert. Probably the original. It's kind of a dark blue-purple. The pip doesn't glow anymore. I don't see any reason to replace this. But should I if I'm going luminova on hands and dial?

4. The case has some wear and/ or polish to the lugs so the edges are "soft" or smooth. I think I'll keep them as-is unless anyone thinks that sharpening up the edges is worthwhile. I'd prefer not to take anything off the case or polish anything and I'm definitely going to treat it like a tool watch...but perhaps wear it less than my stainless models.

Old 22 August 2021, 12:15 AM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Replacing the hands isn’t a big deal, just know those original ones are quite valuable and worth holding onto. Personally I’d leave the case alone and just have a jeweler or independent watchmaker tighten the clasp if it bothers you. It’s not a big deal. BTW, that’s a serious Sub you now own. Wear it like the man the watch deserves!
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 02:15 AM   #3
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
Replacing the hands isn’t a big deal, just know those original ones are quite valuable and worth holding onto. Personally I’d leave the case alone and just have a jeweler or independent watchmaker tighten the clasp if it bothers you. It’s not a big deal. BTW, that’s a serious Sub you now own. Wear it like the man the watch deserves!

Thanks. Yeah I'll hold onto the hands. I'll see what my watchmaker can do for the clasp.

I know it's a very serious sub. I hope I live up to being worthy of wearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 August 2021, 03:48 AM   #4
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750
Nice looking watch!!

I would keep the hands too!! But I think you will be on the positive side of cash if you swap them for luminova hands.

Regarding the polishing of the case from the angle of the photos is difficult to see.

But I saw this thread not long ago that might help you to get a better idea of what you can get out of your watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=815992
Old 22 August 2021, 04:19 AM   #5
Gold Coast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500LN
Very nice 16618. That’s a special watch. I’ve read that blue Swiss only dials are quite finite. These are a limited run with Luminova before the introduction of Super Luminova (Swiss Made dials). These were only manufactured for short time and are somewhat rare adding to the collectibility.

Mines say hi to yours:
Gold Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 05:19 AM   #6
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1985 View Post
Nice looking watch!!

I would keep the hands too!! But I think you will be on the positive side of cash if you swap them for luminova hands.

Regarding the polishing of the case from the angle of the photos is difficult to see.

But I saw this thread not long ago that might help you to get a better idea of what you can get out of your watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=815992

Wow. The prospect of making the edges sharper and reinforced sounds quite appealing. I just reached out to them about that.

Old 22 August 2021, 05:23 AM   #7
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Coast View Post
Very nice 16618. That’s a special watch. I’ve read that blue Swiss only dials are quite finite. These are a limited run with Luminova before the introduction of Super Luminova (Swiss Made dials). These were only manufactured for short time and are somewhat rare adding to the collectibility.

Mines say hi to yours:

Wow yours looks great. Is that a service insert? Your "4" is different. The blues seem to look lighter (less dark) than mine. Could be lighting.

Adding more pics to show the worn edges of the lugs alos.

Old 22 August 2021, 05:38 AM   #8
rvanno
"TRF" Member

I probably would not do anything to it. Maybe, adjust/fix the clasp. I would not have it polished or chamfered. it looks fine.
rvanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 05:41 AM   #9
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanno View Post
I probably would not do anything to it. Maybe, adjust/fix the clasp. I would not have it polished or chamfered. it looks fine.

I am considering this. What about the hands? Once I am fully dark adapted I can faintly tell time.

Old 23 August 2021, 10:21 AM   #10
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

People often forget these PM references were hand-finished before leaving the factory. No two will be "exactly" the same, just acceptable to Quality Control. The RSC would also routinely "refresh" gold cases at service. So super crisp cases and exaggerated chamfers are rather odd-looking, on what is rapidly becoming a vintage reference. Personally, I think you have a really honest-looking example there.
Old 23 August 2021, 10:25 AM   #11
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
People often forget these PM references were hand-finished before leaving the factory. No two will be "exactly" the same, just acceptable to Quality Control. The RSC would also routinely "refresh" gold cases at service. So super crisp cases and exaggerated chamfers are rather odd-looking, on what is rapidly becoming a vintage reference. Personally, I think you have a really honest-looking example there.

By "refresh", do you mean they would carve them in on what remains or actually add gold and mold in the crispness?

Old 23 August 2021, 12:26 PM   #12
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmainspring View Post
By "refresh", do you mean they would carve them in on what remains or actually add gold and mold in the crispness?

They’d give them a light polish. No welding or grinding.

… any jeweler will tell you that welding 18k gold is extremely difficult. Molten gold doesn’t have the viscosity of SS.
Old 24 August 2021, 12:55 AM   #13
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They’d give them a light polish. No welding or grinding.

… any jeweler will tell you that welding 18k gold is extremely difficult. Molten gold doesn’t have the viscosity of SS.

Yeah I don't see myself letting anyone remove any material from this watch. Thanks.

Old 24 August 2021, 04:32 AM   #14
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmainspring View Post
1. It has a "Swiss only" dial so I've heard some arguments that it may be a service dial. Should I replace the mostly-dead lume tritium hands to match, so I can easily tell time at night? I prefer telling time at night over originality but curious if there's a counter argument.

2. The original clasp is kind of loose-ish, particularly the diving extension. The claps does snap shut and stays locked in place. The crown on the claps has been polished down some. Should I send to RSC to replace the clasp?

3. The bezel insert. Probably the original. It's kind of a dark blue-purple. The pip doesn't glow anymore. I don't see any reason to replace this. But should I if I'm going luminova on hands and dial?

4. The case has some wear and/ or polish to the lugs so the edges are "soft" or smooth. I think I'll keep them as-is unless anyone thinks that sharpening up the edges is worthwhile. I'd prefer not to take anything off the case or polish anything and I'm definitely going to treat it like a tool watch...but perhaps wear it less than my stainless models.

Your insert is for the TT 16613 because the font is silver. It should be yellow gold font. If you're the type who has to have all period correct parts on your Rolex, these can be purchased on Fleabay or right here on TRF for couple of quids. Or message me, I'll send you one free of charge, if you're in the States or Canada. Mine does not have a pip, so you'll have to put on the one you have now on it.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 04:36 AM   #15
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
Your insert is for the TT 16613 because the font is silver. It should be yellow gold font. If you're the type who has to have all period correct parts on your Rolex, these can be purchased on Fleabay or right here on TRF for couple of quids. Or message me, I'll send you one free of charge, if you're in the States or Canada. Mine does not have a pip, so you'll have to put on the one you have now on it.

Thanks! I think the font on my insert is gold. I'm not specific about the period. My watch is a 91' with a Swiss only dial, which is probably not period accurate.