The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 August 2021, 02:09 PM   #1
OGMike
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1803 OP

Vintage RFers,

I have been looking for a YG or RG vintage DD for some time…Came across the attached 1803 through a local AD a couple months back. Based on the bracelet , dial and other, looks to be a mid 60s (guessing 66’?) piece.

Asking is currently at $10K USD. I do love the dial , size and feel of it, but the bracelet is loose as expected and the watch has been polished, the original clasp should be brushed.

Anyway, this piece keeps on calling me back for some reason, was hoping to Poll the crowd , get some feedback on condition and price point. Any advice is appreciated.

OGMike
OGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 02:35 PM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

$10K is about what I would expect to pay for that.
A few things to note to keep in mind for future costs. If it hasnt been serviced already then be prepared to spend $600-800 on average for a full service, around $1500 to have the bracelet rebuilt/tightened and polished correctly and about $200 each of you need extra links in the bracelet.
Old 22 August 2021, 04:08 AM   #3
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

What Matt/offrdmania said above.

Also -
- It looks from the bottom right pic like there may be some lume missing from the hour hand? The blue circle there is presumably about a small dial blemish below the date window?
- The dial pics are not sharp, but it seems to have some black around the base of each lume plot (the little tritium dots at each hour). This might indicate that there’s been moisture inside at some point, so it’s worth having the caseback off to check the condition of the movement.
- It could just be the photos, but the fitment of the endlinks (especially at 12) looks a little odd. If the seller removes the bracelet to check/confirm the serial number, check the end links - I *think* this should have endlinks marked 53. You may also want to post (sharp) pics of the clasp blades, to confirm the bracelet is factory original.

Still a very fair price at $10K, imo (assuming the movement is ok).
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 02:38 PM   #4
OGMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
What Matt/offrdmania said above.

Also -
- It looks from the bottom right pic like there may be some lume missing from the hour hand? The blue circle there is presumably about a small dial blemish below the date window?
- The dial pics are not sharp, but it seems to have some black around the base of each lume plot (the little tritium dots at each hour). This might indicate that there’s been moisture inside at some point, so it’s worth having the caseback off to check the condition of the movement.
- It could just be the photos, but the fitment of the endlinks (especially at 12) looks a little odd. If the seller removes the bracelet to check/confirm the serial number, check the end links - I *think* this should have endlinks marked 53. You may also want to post (sharp) pics of the clasp blades, to confirm the bracelet is factory original.

Still a very fair price at $10K, imo (assuming the movement is ok).
Appreciate the replies and guidance - will ask for a photo of the end links and clasp.

Question on the bracelet rebuilding/tightening… is that through an RSC? Would that get clasp to the original brushed state or would I have to acquire that after market?

For the record , this is a long term hold for me. My Father will wear it first and some day my son will have it.
Old 22 August 2021, 02:54 PM   #5
OGMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
$10K is about what I would expect to pay for that.
A few things to note to keep in mind for future costs. If it hasnt been serviced already then be prepared to spend $600-800 on average for a full service, around $1500 to have the bracelet rebuilt/tightened and polished correctly and about $200 each of you need extra links in the bracelet.
Thanks for the feedback.

On the bracelet , assuming that is through an RSC, will they get the clasp back to original shape ? Or do I need to find that elsewhere?

OGMike
Old 22 August 2021, 10:35 PM   #6
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGMike View Post
Question on the bracelet rebuilding/tightening… is that through an RSC? Would that get clasp to the original brushed state or would I have to acquire that after market?
Bracelet service - No need for RSC there, many people do this. Lots of good references here for the bracelet work of Rolliworks in the Bay area, LA WatchWorks in LA, and Michael Young in HK. Clasp brushing would be done by them also, that’s an easy job.
Old 22 August 2021, 11:15 PM   #7
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGMike View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

On the bracelet , assuming that is through an RSC, will they get the clasp back to original shape ? Or do I need to find that elsewhere?

OGMike
Yes, the clasp would be brushed during the rebuild process. The 3 best bracelet rebuilders have been quoted above. Its about $1500 to have a full gold bracelet rebuilt so be prepared for that cost.
Old 23 August 2021, 01:18 AM   #8
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Bracelet service - No need for RSC there, many people do this. Lots of good references here for the bracelet work of Rolliworks in the Bay area, LA WatchWorks in LA, and Michael Young in HK. Clasp brushing would be done by them also, that’s an easy job.
I used Rolliworks to rebuild an 1803 bracelet earlier and was thrilled with the result. Here is a link to the thread I started about my results: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=796242

As someone else mentioned, you may want to budget for additional links. RW had 4 to put into mine but I had to get a 5th a month or so later because it was just too tight. They will ask you what length you want and will let you know if you need to add any.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 02:31 AM   #9
Number16
"TRF" Member

As a newb looks great for 10k.
Number16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 04:22 AM   #10
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

OGMike - One more thing.

Just in case you were expecting otherwise, I want to make sure you are aware that (if it’s original) none of the tritium on the hands/dial will glow any longer.
Old 23 August 2021, 04:41 AM   #11
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I feel like everything looks a bit too polished, thin looking. The case looks soft, the bezel looks a bit soft, bracelet stretch. Perhaps it looks different in real life, but I would pass because of the case and then the bezel.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 09:31 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I rather enjoy a sleeve-polished clasp. Tons of character.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 04:08 AM   #13
OGMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OGMike - One more thing.

Just in case you were expecting otherwise, I want to make sure you are aware that (if it’s original) none of the tritium on the hands/dial will glow any longer.
Thanks for the heads up, yes I had experienced that with an older watch before... I picked up a GMT 16700 about a year ago, similar story on the glow with that piece.
Old 24 August 2021, 04:11 AM   #14
OGMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I feel like everything looks a bit too polished, thin looking. The case looks soft, the bezel looks a bit soft, bracelet stretch. Perhaps it looks different in real life, but I would pass because of the case and then the bezel.
Appreciate it. I'm trying to negotiate the price down to build in some room for bringing a few of these details back to life. Will keep the thread updated.
Old 24 August 2021, 11:22 AM   #15
OGMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
I used Rolliworks to rebuild an 1803 bracelet earlier and was thrilled with the result. Here is a link to the thread I started about my results:

As someone else mentioned, you may want to budget for additional links. RW had 4 to put into mine but I had to get a 5th a month or so later because it was just too tight. They will ask you what length you want and will let you know if you need to add any.
Those before and after pictures are impressive, would you mind sharing your total cost of the project with RW?

This may be a dumb question, but Are the extra links to replace empty space that happens as it has stretched out over time ? That’s the only thing I can think of, keep the same length with more links to cover previously uncovered space.

Thanks again.