The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 August 2021, 12:53 AM   #1
marioxis17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116520
Rolex Gmt Root Beer 1675 1971

Hello mates, I have this Rolex GMT Root Beer 1675 from 1971 serial number 34xxxxx. My question is the following, as you see the watch has corrosion, can it be recovered? what would be its value in this condition and if it is worth taking it to service to sell it later. I appreciate your comments.
I am more into modern Rolex.
Regards Mario
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Root beer 4.jpg (160.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Root Beer 5.jpg (86.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpeg Root beer 3.jpeg (232.8 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpeg ROOOOOO55.jpeg (284.9 KB, 153 views)
marioxis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:35 AM   #2
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
That is a great looking 1675/3 with very nice patina and dial. The rust looks minimal. It looks to be in very nice but clearly loved, overall condition. Even the coronet on the American oval link bracelet looks very well defined and the insert looks to be original. Looks just like mine in fact! Service could be very expensive or it could just be base rate and perhaps a new tube, crown and crystal. If it needs other parts, that's where it gets costly. I just had mine service by Phillip Ridley, whom you can research on this forum. Here is what I did to mine https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=660036 I can't tell what the numbers are underneath the model number inside the case cover it looks like 72? Also I think your date for this watch given the serial is more like 1975 based on other references for dates that you can find on this forum. Do you have papers? Good luck!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 03:02 AM   #3
marioxis17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116520
Thanks Time Lord for youre reply, i dont have the papers ans the number inside the cover is 72.
marioxis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 04:04 AM   #4
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Nice GMT T.T., one of my favorite,I love the look of the gold coronet on the steel
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 04:10 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
That is a great looking 1675/3 with very nice patina and dial. The rust looks minimal. It looks to be in very nice but clearly loved, overall condition. Even the coronet on the American oval link bracelet looks very well defined and the insert looks to be original. Looks just like mine in fact! Service could be very expensive or it could just be base rate and perhaps a new tube, crown and crystal. If it needs other parts, that's where it gets costly. I just had mine service by Phillip Ridley, whom you can research on this forum. Here is what I did to mine https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=660036 I can't tell what the numbers are underneath the model number inside the case cover it looks like 72? Also I think your date for this watch given the serial is more like 1975 based on other references for dates that you can find on this forum. Do you have papers? Good luck!
Based on actual data from various Rolex watches, 3.4XXXXX serial numbers are normally found with 1972 case backs which this watch seems to have based on his photo.

Here is a link to a chart comparing serial numbers to their respective case back dates.

https://www.gmtforum.com/viewtopic.p...0ca4c89e3a3c36

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 05:39 AM   #6
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Based on actual data from various Rolex watches, 3.4XXXXX serial numbers are normally found with 1972 case backs which this watch seems to have based on his photo.

Here is a link to a chart comparing serial numbers to their respective case back dates.

https://www.gmtforum.com/viewtopic.p...0ca4c89e3a3c36
Thank you for the information and chart link.
To the OP, Springer is one of the resident experts and I would trust his comments any day over some yahoo on the Internet, which would be me… Hahaha!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote