The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 May 2009, 10:04 PM   #1
DavidJ
"TRF" Member

Loose bracelet

Hi there - This is my first post and only second visit to the site. It is by the far the best (friendliest and most knowledgeable) Rolex forum I've come across. What a find!

I've got a few questions but will limit this to one: I took my '84 GMT Master into a well known Rolex dealer (although not authorized). They sell a lot online (a reputable site), met them and they seemed to know they're stuff. They were impressed with the condition of the watch and especially commented on the tightness of the bracelet. I explained that I am the sole owner and have looked after it well.

I wanted the watch exterior cleaned up, including buffing out a couple small scratches on the acrylic face and bracelet. They did a great job on the case BUT the very first thing they said was "it will fit much looser." It didn't bother me much at the time because the watch exterior looked so good. But it now bugs me that the bracelet has so much movement between the links. It just doesn't have that solid feel to it.

Question: Could cleaning the bracelet really cause so much movement? So what - apart from swapping it with a more worn-out bracelet - could cause this? Have any of you come across this? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but before I approach them on this I'd like to get some expert advice/comments. I really appreciate any guidance on this!
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 10:28 PM   #2
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Hi there - This is my first post and only second visit to the site. It is by the far the best (friendliest and most knowledgeable) Rolex forum I've come across. What a find!

I've got a few questions but will limit this to one: I took my '84 GMT Master into a well known Rolex dealer (although not authorized). They sell a lot online (a reputable site), met them and they seemed to know they're stuff. They were impressed with the condition of the watch and especially commented on the tightness of the bracelet. I explained that I am the sole owner and have looked after it well.

I wanted the watch exterior cleaned up, including buffing out a couple small scratches on the acrylic face and bracelet. They did a great job on the case BUT the very first thing they said was "it will fit much looser." It didn't bother me much at the time because the watch exterior looked so good. But it now bugs me that the bracelet has so much movement between the links. It just doesn't have that solid feel to it.

Question: Could cleaning the bracelet really cause so much movement? So what - apart from swapping it with a more worn-out bracelet - could cause this? Have any of you come across this? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but before I approach them on this I'd like to get some expert advice/comments. I really appreciate any guidance on this!
Sounds very suspect, is it an oyster braclet, or a jubilee? ALso did you note the braclet date code etc prior to taking the watch in?
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 02:18 AM   #3
DavidJ
"TRF" Member

it's an Oyster bracelet. Didn't know there was such a thing as a date code?! The clasp is the original (it has a slight mark on it) and both the clasp and the bracelet carry the same code 78360 but assumed these were model codes (?). Where is the date code? Thanks for your help...
Old 17 May 2009, 02:25 AM   #4
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
it's an Oyster bracelet. Didn't know there was such a thing as a date code?! The clasp is the original (it has a slight mark on it) and both the clasp and the bracelet carry the same code 78360 but assumed these were model codes (?). Where is the date code? Thanks for your help...
There's a date code on the clasp, see http://www.oysterworld.de/1/index.htm As the clasp is the same thou, this won't help you.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 04:00 AM   #5
DavidJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Yes, the date code H on the clasp points to 1983. But this doesn't address whether the bracelet links have been replaced with older ones.

Does anyone out there have any similar experience or can you shed light on why the bracelet would be returned comparatively loose. Thanks.
Old 17 May 2009, 04:45 AM   #6
pdxrolex
"TRF" Member

Should not have become loose from cleaning, I'd be suspect...
pdxrolex is offline   Reply With Quote