The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 September 2021, 05:03 PM   #1
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Manual-wind Perpetual

Hi all

I’m interested in owners experience of manual-wind perpetuals.

As I seem to do every year, I’m considering rationalising my collection and reducing the number of watches I have, as some now get very little wrist time.

In doing this, a 5270 becomes a realistic possibility and it’s somewhat of a grail for me.

But…I wouldn’t want to have just one watch so it would still be in rotation with at least a couple of others. If it was an automatic movement, that would be no problem, but as a manual-wind, does it quickly lose its appeal?

The whole point of a perpetual calendar feels somewhat defeated if you have to keep setting it because it’s been out of rotation for a few days or whilst on holiday?

Or is it still worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 05:21 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

5270 is a stunner. The beauty you gain on the reverse is worth the manual wind PITA! I enjoy setting perpetuals and have never bothered keeping even an auto on a winder. If it is really a concern you can get a winder for a manual watch - Buben&Zorweg for example make one.

https://youtu.be/zfl-AYVHzWo
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 06:26 PM   #3
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
My 2c. Don’t get a manual QP. Not unless the QP you are considering is a rare piece.

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 07:37 PM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
5270 is a stunner. The beauty you gain on the reverse is worth the manual wind PITA! I enjoy setting perpetuals and have never bothered keeping even an auto on a winder. If it is really a concern you can get a winder for a manual watch - Buben&Zorweg for example make one.

https://youtu.be/zfl-AYVHzWo
What happens to the perpetual calendar if the movement stops? I understand that PC are calibrated to a 100 years so if it stops will its affect it subsequent accuracy hence they all come with a winder right from purchase?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
What happens to the perpetual calendar if the movement stops? I understand that PC are calibrated to a 100 years so if it stops will its affect it subsequent accuracy hence they all come with a winder right from purchase?
Absolutely not - many perpetuals are manual so don’t come with winders. You don’t have to keep a perpetual running, you just need to reset it to the correct date when you put it on and off you go. The 100 year rule (2100 - so actually 79 years now) is because due to the inaccuracies of our calendar every 100 years isn’t a leap year when the mechanism expects it to be one, although this isn’t true every 400 years so 2000 and 2400 was/will be leap years. Since 2000 was a leap year many manufacturers escaped having to correct the mechanisms although many others can be reset by the owner anyway.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 08:53 PM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Absolutely not - many perpetuals are manual so don’t come with winders. You don’t have to keep a perpetual running, you just need to reset it to the correct date when you put it on and off you go. The 100 year rule (2100 - so actually 79 years now) is because due to the inaccuracies of our calendar every 100 years isn’t a leap year when the mechanism expects it to be one, although this isn’t true every 400 years so 2000 and 2400 was/will be leap years. Since 2000 was a leap year many manufacturers escaped having to correct the mechanisms although many others can be reset by the owner anyway.
Thanks! That certainly clears the misunderstanding I had about PC and was the biggest concern I had about PC that every time if it stops I had to sent it back to the manufacturer to calibrate the mechanism.
Old 19 September 2021, 10:23 PM   #7
benzng
"TRF" Member

I own a few manual watches, I enjoy setting them so its a non issue for me. I love my 5270P, sometimes wear it more often than my 5740
If setting watches is an issue with you then perhaps I would think twice getting manual watches.
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 12:32 AM   #8
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I was looking for a Lange Datograph Perpetual but talked myself out of it due to it being a manual PCC. However, if you are planning a 3-4 daily rotation, I don’t think winding it every other day will be too much of a chore. And you most likely will enjoy it. For me, I was concerned that if I put it into the safe, it may be a couple of weeks before I get to take it out.

Also, in reality, setting the PC is not that bad. You just need to spend a little more quality time with your watch which I don’t think you should mind with a gorgeous watch like 5270.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 04:21 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Patek PCCs (perpetual calendar chronos) are manual wind b/c the chrono movement is manual. All modern PCs (perpetual calendars). I don't think Patek will make an automatic PCC as you will hide the movement.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 04:59 AM   #10
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
5270 is a nice watch, i am considering one myself.
I don't have a winder nor will i ever put my watches on one. if i leave the watch for few days i just reset it. thats why they put quick adjustment pushers.
Patek Philippe have a guide for every perpetual that shows you: Day, Date, Month, Leap Year and Moon Phase display for that specific watch.
Old 20 September 2021, 05:06 AM   #11
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have a lange Perpetual and the PR is only 45hrs. I usually change watches every 2 to 3 days and while I dont wear the perpetual too often, I weird it when I switch out ... Thus when I go to wear it.. usually just turn the hands a couple of days to catch up so I do not have to reset. Resetting is not that difficult if need to do.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 05:27 AM   #12
azizu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! That certainly clears the misunderstanding I had about PC and was the biggest concern I had about PC that every time if it stops I had to sent it back to the manufacturer to calibrate the mechanism.
i can definitely relate to that
when i was starting my watch collecting journey, i remember walking into a Blancpain AD and the SA was showing me a nice PC (with quick setting adjustors behind the lugs). the SA told me that it was so complicated to set the PC that they would actully have to send the watch to Switzerland and have it set before delivering it to me....now i know that was pure BS
nothing is easier than setting up a PC. especially the Blancpain that the SA said it has to be sent ot Switzerland
Old 20 September 2021, 07:27 AM   #13
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
i can definitely relate to that
when i was starting my watch collecting journey, i remember walking into a Blancpain AD and the SA was showing me a nice PC (with quick setting adjustors behind the lugs). the SA told me that it was so complicated to set the PC that they would actully have to send the watch to Switzerland and have it set before delivering it to me....now i know that was pure BS
nothing is easier than setting up a PC. especially the Blancpain that the SA said it has to be sent ot Switzerland
Glad to know I'm not alone!
PC and PCC are so rare that there is really little education around these models except at places like TRF.
Old 20 September 2021, 12:55 PM   #14
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t let the manual wind discourage you. I truly enjoy winding and setting my PCC when I pull it out of the safe. Like others, I’m never more than a few days behind so rarely have to use the pushers.
vandyologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Manual wind PCs can become a chore, so it is a great question. Some people do not set the calendar on the PCC, if they wear it in a rotation. They just wind it up and off they go. Patek does not recommend regular resetting of the calendar as it is hard on the module and the pusher springs wear out much faster with constant re-setting, hence, the included winding boxes on their automatic PCs.
A PCC makes a great one only watch. But, daily winding needs to be a pleasure not a chore.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 08:16 AM   #16
azizu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Glad to know I'm not alone!
PC and PCC are so rare that there is really little education around these models except at places like TRF.

You know, now that I think about it: sending the PC or PCC back to the watch maker to rest it was only needed when the leap year indicator was not shown on the dial (like PP3448 etc). But with the leap year shown there is no point of sending the watch to the watchmaker

Old 24 September 2021, 10:37 AM   #17
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Manual wind and PC combo is a deal breaker for me.
Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote