The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2021, 03:34 PM   #571
tquieng
"TRF" Member

How did they get the watch ? Was it lying on the table or safe?
tquieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 04:34 PM   #572
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Unbelievable! Congratulations!!
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 05:47 PM   #573
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Congrats! Sucks for the UK person too since they unwittingly purchased a stolen watch. What’s the main takeaway for that person? Always ask for box and papers?
BigBallerBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 07:22 PM   #574
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon888 View Post
It's hard to go through 19 pages in this thread. Can someone point me to the post where I can get a sense of what happened afterwards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquieng View Post
How about, you know, actually reading the thread? It's a very uplifting, positive thread written in clear, lucid English (not "hard to read" at all). I don't know 77T at all but he comes across as a real gentleman.
It's worth a bit of effort on your part to actually read it.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 08:50 PM   #575
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex Theft by Home Break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquieng View Post

My wife’s watches were in her jewelry cabinet. Mine were on winders in a different cabinet. We had lived 30 years without a burglary - the same for the different neighborhoods we lived in. Complacency perhaps…it was random crime and there hasn’t been another incident in our neighborhood over the past 4 years.

Now I have a big safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Awesome! Too bad RolexUK didn't do a full service first!

I tried to convince them but it can’t be done while being held for police to pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBallerBrand View Post
Congrats! Sucks for the UK person too since they unwittingly purchased a stolen watch. What’s the main takeaway for that person? Always ask for box and papers?

Thanks!
UK buyer was fully reimbursed for the purchase by the seller. I’m sure it was disappointing - but he was made whole.

I think the main takeaway for that person (and any of us buying pre-owned in the secondary market) is this:
• Only buy from a trusted seller who will refund you if the watch gets confiscated (within a reasonable period)
• Always send the watch to RSC within that period
• Or only buy full sets directly from an original owner who has the papers, receipts etc

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Good work Paul.

I'm looking forward to seeing the wrist pix.

Hope you have the same success with the other two watches.

E.

Thanks much Eddie. My friend who brought it back to US for me has the watch safely stored. He is heading to Russia before we can meet up. But he is passing it another friend of ours who I will meet soon at a race weekend. Not risking shipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
Unbelievable! Congratulations!!

Yes it has been incredible Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 09:03 PM   #576
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
How about, you know, actually reading the thread? It's a very uplifting, positive thread written in clear, lucid English (not "hard to read" at all). I don't know 77T at all but he comes across as a real gentleman.
It's worth a bit of effort on your part to actually read it.

Thanks for those kind words towards my efforts.

I don’t have any displeasure with newer readers asking decent questions because (to be fair) I am bumping up 4 years worth of the odyssey.

Reading all 19 pages might help some - so that played into my choice to bump it instead of creating a new thread. But I do understand and empathize with anyone who hasn’t got the time to read it all.

So if I need to answer a repeated question here or there, it is a small service to make it easier. One new member said it took 90 minutes and in today’s environment that is daunting.

I think you have done a very good job describing my desire to keep the thread uplifting and positive thread. Before the burglary we did live in an “enchanted bubble” safe from any sort of crime.

I think the moral is to understand why something happens, forgive the trespass of others as we would ask forgiveness of our own faults, and take the honorable path to recover what you can.

Thanks again for reading the whole saga

Old 20 August 2021, 09:04 PM   #577
DavB
Banned

Watch: Rolexes & Others
This news just brought joy to my heart, am happy you are recovering your stolen watches Paul, don't worry you will recover all.
DavB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 09:19 PM   #578
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
Are you sure you can pocket in the difference. Apparently, JM will not give you the money directly, but rather work with your preferred jeweler to buy an exact replacement
That is a good question worth revisiting. And insurers vary in how they reimburse. Because JM is in that line of business, they may do it that way. State Farm was my insurer and it was a bit different.

Since 2thDoc ventured a theory on insurance reimbursement back then, he might not see your point to reply.

Let me add my experience on replacement insurance for the items that were covered after this burglary.

Replacement coverage was paid in two steps.

First, for recent acquisitions with a receipt, you get a check for purchase price. This is how one of my new computers was covered. In that first step, if an item is not new (like a 5 year old ring) then a “book value” becomes part of the first check. So a 5 year old ring purchased for $5,000 might only get a first check worth $3,000.

Then, if you replace the item, and spend $6,000 to buy an equivalent ring (equivalent karat weight, equivalent metal content, etc) you will get a second check for $3,000.

So the theory of “making hay” out of the replacement insurance isn’t really possible. Not only that, it’d be a bit dishonest.

JM’s method helps avoid those risks methinks.

Old 20 August 2021, 09:32 PM   #579
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavB View Post
This news just brought joy to my heart, am happy you are recovering your stolen watches Paul, don't worry you will recover all.

Thanks - I’ve never been to the UK and this might have been a chance but for the high cost of airfares - I am amazed at the kindness of all the people I encountered remotely.

The phone calls resonated with empathy and pleasant words. The emails were so cordial - even when they had to decline my requests (like UK RSC couldn’t service my watch while they held it for police).

I was please by your countrymen and women all along the way….

I’m glad this was an upbeat moment for you - it certainly has been for me.

- and is the reason I posted all the detail to show how much affirmative positive energy existed along this current chapter -

Law enforcement and TRF’ers helping, honest dealers making extra efforts to help, great work by Rolex on both sides of the Atlantic, serendipitous timing with friends visiting London and then couriering it to USA.

I hope anyone still awaiting reunion with their own stolen watch(es) have the same good fortune.

Stay sanguine

Old 21 August 2021, 04:02 AM   #580
LC23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I never thought I’d be posting this thread but it has happened to me now. I was away from home for a day - didn’t set the alarm (mistake 1).

I thought I’d be gone for an hour or so, but a family emergency took much longer and arrived home to the results of a burglary. Not sharing details - the topic is about Rolexes that were stolen. A total of 4 were taken and I’m sharing serial numbers for the benefit of our community to avoid buying one of them.

1. Men’s Platona s/n 8D705451
2. Ladies TT OP diamond dial & bezel s/n K302125
3. Men’s YG DD on strap s/n not available right now (my laptop was stolen - it had the s/n) - stock photo below.
4. Ladies SS OP white Roman dial s/n papers missing but a stock pic is below.

sorry to hear
LC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 04:28 AM   #581
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
UPDATE: Another watch recovered - and in an amazing way. Friday the 13th was a lucky one this year…and my 36,000th post! Details below…but please understand that I can not reveal some names of the people who helped - some asked for confidentiality.

Many TRF’ers helped me along the way with advice, guidance and willingness to be a part of this chapter.

Thanks to all who have read this thread over the past 4 years. I don’t expect anyone to read the whole thing so I am posting here for those who have been along for the ride…

Thanks to all of you who shared your support. It has been a long process - and it will continue as I endeavor to recover the remaining watches still on the Rolex stolen watch database.

Now the details:

The short version is my Platona has been recovered. RolexUSA advised me in late June that RolexUK had confiscated it and was holding it in their safe. The letter was welcome news, but also quite clear: the next steps were mine.

“ The Watch has been submitted for service in a foreign country and, therefore, the question of ownership must be resolved in accordance with the applicable law of that jurisdiction. “

I called the rep at RolexUSA who has helped me since 2017. She advised me that Geneva had linked their databases in a global network earlier this year. That was a key part of this case - without that step, Rolex UK RSC in Kings Hill wouldn’t have been able to flag it. She also said that RolexUK was now handling this recovery since it came to their location. (More on that later)

My local Police worked with UK Police to certify my ownership by sharing crime reports and emails. But due to budgets - phone consults were up to me. That makes sense because the crime itself was solved in 2017 - and the 2 perpetrators convicted, sentenced and still serving them.

I burned up a few hundred dollars in calls quickly (until an AT&T billing alert). I quickly bought an international calling plan and AT&T franked my bill and grandfathered those calls to an unlimited international plan.

While the legal process was underway, I stayed in touch with RolexUK Customer Relations via phone. My days have been long - calls beginning at 4am (my TZ) with Rolex, police and other UK parties. The RolexUK folks have been great throughout this recovery.

The process took about 7 weeks only due to Kent police being very busy with other duties. (You may recall the Open Championship was in Sandwich during this period - and that impacted resources)

But some other great people on TRF helped along the way, as well as a seller in London.

On Friday August 13th, after some long-distance coordination, the UK police emailed me that the watch is in their evidence safe - but they were not comfortable shipping it via a FedEx label I offered to email. The evidence value was too high. Also, since Covid, many 3rd party shipping insurance brokers had reduced their ceilings. The package wasn’t able to be insured for the $100K it was worth. (Again, more on that later)

So for all who have had watches stolen, there are ways to get them back. Keep your hopes alive…it may take time but be patient. Thankfully Rolex has expanded the coordination between global distributors.

Now 2 of the original 4 stolen Rolexes have been recovered. The next 2 are going to be harder but won’t rest until I can locate them.

I’m repeating their serial numbers here to help with Google Search results -

Still seeking my stolen Day-Date 1803 - serial number 2600527

Still seeking my wife’s Ladies Oyster Perpetual - serial number K302125

I think I’ll post those to the Vintage Section of TRF in a new thread. Unlikely they will go to the RSC by any new unwitting owner - so hopefully vintage watchmakers might see them sometime in the future.

There are many details of this Platona recovery that are just amazing to me.

For example, on the morning after RolexUK confiscated the watch. That morning, I had a PM here on TRF: “Can you call me about your Platona?”

WOW!!!

I’m pumping gas at a Costco - scratching my head - how could a member on TRF already know?

Amazingly, that TRF member received a WhatsApp DM from a UK seller, who in turn had a DM from a UK dealer to see if I’d talk with him. That TRF member helped me connect some dots with the good faith UK dealer who unknowingly bought the Platona. That TRF member helped in ways I couldn’t have done alone.

And I want to give props to the UK dealer, Matt at Triple Six Collection, for initiating refund to the buyer who had submitted the Platona to RolexUK RSC for work. Without that support from Matt, this recovery might have been an awful experience. He is a trusted dealer for sure. Now that was an amazing connection.

The others here that helped include Steve, our fearless leader…because he keeps this place a respectful forum, Matt was able to do a Google Search on the Platona serial number and found this very thread. He knew in an instant that I was a legitimate victim of the original theft. So these threads have value…

Now about the Kent Police - such nice people… I dealt with may names I can’t reveal. But a couple of PCSO’s stood out - these are the folks you see along the lanes in England who try to counsel citizens on safety and crime prevention. But also, one of them went to RolexUK after all paperwork had been sorted out and picked up my Platona. Then got it to Tonbridge, logged into the Property Office ledger, and safely snuggled in their evidence safe.

And about the shipping hurdle - I worked with Aamir (SohAIS) here to figure out a way to have a safe shipping plan - he and I talked several times. I have bought 2 watches from him over the years and knew how trusted he is. Since we both are ATL area guys, it sounded safer to get the package sent to a secure business place rather than my home where that last mile can be the most risky. (My local PD Sergeant has had several arrests of delivery drivers who crossed the line) But as I said earlier, we couldn’t get the entire value covered without an armored service on both ends (Thousand or more $$$ after everything factored in).

So…scratching my head again…I remembered a good friend and colleague who had just worked the Silverstone F1 GP. I had called him about the …ahem…famous HAM 10-seconds… And I remembered he said “I’ll be in London for a few more days…” OK, a quick consult and he adjusted his vacation on the last day there…and if I could get Kent Property Office coordinated…he offered to pick up the watch and fly home today. Another couple of 4am calls and I was speaking to a nice PSE at the Tonbridge Kent PD station house. She took the vital info, and my written release to my friend as the evidence courier and the pick tip happened yesterday.

Yep, the Platona is on a plane with him as I type…I also owe him big time…and have posted a question in the Whisky thread for Johnnie Walker suggestions (he likes blended Scotch). I got that idea from Tim here on TRF (cop414). I hope to meet up with my friend sometime next month or so (he lives up North) at a Championship race.

I know this has been a lengthy post - thanks for reading thus far. I tried to be as complete as possible for the benefit of newer members who hadn’t seen the original post. Also, for the benefit of those who have posted stolen watches - keep the faith - there can be justice down the road.

Thanks to all the TRF community - and if I missed anything meaningfully relevant, I’ll try to answer. Please keep this thread open by not ranting about rising crime political views or other banned topics.

I hope I didn’t leave anyone out of my thanks…
Wow such an amazing outcome well done. The trauma you went through will pass
It’s white an unbelievable story.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 07:59 AM   #582
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC23 View Post
sorry to hear

Yeah it is unhappy for that moment but in the night of that day, neighbors pulled together scrap lumber and plywood, power tools and saws, and made my broken window secure.

The “good” began to flow within an hour. And it has continued. Neighbors, friends, LEOs, the justice system, Rolex, friends, TRF’ers, trusted dealers and even foreign police department in UK have made things better over the years…

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Wow such an amazing outcome well done. The trauma you went through will pass

It’s white an unbelievable story.

It is amazing and I’m feeling very fortunate and blessed.

Old 21 August 2021, 08:46 AM   #583
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is amazing and I’m feeling very fortunate and blessed.

What an amazing ending. Apologies if I’ve missed it, but have you worked out when you will be able to pick it up from the stand up gentleman who brought her back to the US for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 08:49 AM   #584
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post
What an amazing ending. Apologies if I’ve missed it, but have you worked out when you will be able to pick it up from the stand up gentleman who brought her back to the US for you?

It looks like September when we are both together at a race weekend. No need to risk shipping.

Old 21 August 2021, 09:02 AM   #585
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Paul, thank you for posting and updating this story. I read all 20 pages, and though tiring, it was worth it.
We have a very fine safe, but your story prompted me to go ahead and jump through the Jewelers Mutual 'hoops' to insure one very expensive watch. Cannot be too careful in today's world.
Your watch has really had some travel adventures. If only it could talk.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 09:06 AM   #586
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Paul, thank you for posting and updating this story. I read all 20 pages, and though tiring, it was worth it.
We have two very fine safes, but your story prompted me to go ahead and jump through the Jewelers Mutual 'hoops' to insure one very expensive watch. Cannot be too careful in today's world.
Your watch has really had some travel adventures. If only it could talk.

Thank you for your efforts wading through the ups and downs. It’s lengthy.

Now if that Platona could talk, I’d probably have to wash its mouth out with Lifebuoy.

Old 21 August 2021, 09:08 AM   #587
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It looks like September when we are both together at a race weekend. No need to risk shipping.

Fantastic. Thanks for the update. Agree, no need to take any risks with the finish line in sight!

HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 11:23 AM   #588
rolexalias
Banned

Deeply sorry to hear this, and I wish you good luck ahead
rolexalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 11:54 AM   #589
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexalias View Post
Deeply sorry to hear this, and I wish you good luck ahead

Appreciate the sentiment. Since the beginning I have felt fortunate along the path to my current recovery and hope it can continue to get the next 2 Rolexes back.

Old 21 August 2021, 02:57 PM   #590
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
Paul, I'm so very happy that the Platona was located. I've been following this from the beginning and have been in disbelief at every turn. I hope the last 2 are recovered in the near future and absolutely congrats on your diligence as well as everyone else involved in the recovery process. What a journey that watch has taken!! Historic to say the least!
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 04:39 PM   #591
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Wow… wow…. amazing story! So pleased for you!
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 07:27 PM   #592
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
What a story! I am sorry you had to pass through all this but I am glad you recovered some of the watches especially the daytona. I hope you find the rest too! Show us a picture of the Daytona when you get it back! Would be interesting to see its condition after all these years...
Old 21 August 2021, 07:37 PM   #593
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Amazing!! Great news! Big congrats!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 09:04 PM   #594
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by havingagoodtime View Post
Paul, I'm so very happy that the Platona was located. I've been following this from the beginning and have been in disbelief at every turn. I hope the last 2 are recovered in the near future and absolutely congrats on your diligence as well as everyone else involved in the recovery process. What a journey that watch has taken!! Historic to say the least!

Thank you -
I almost couldn’t believe my eyes when the email came from Rolex USA. Then all the twists and turns since it was recovered in the UK. Everyone who helped me with this recovery has a permanent place in my heart. This Platona has wandered willy-nilly around the USA since 2017 until landing in a NY dealers hands - and then to the UK for about 3 months until Rolex UK confiscated it. But I am so glad for the honesty of the UK dealer. He had no idea until that happened, and he immediately refunded the unwitting final buyer’s money. That step showed he cared about his customer and me alike. It paved the way for a return without any potential legal drama in British courts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ns23 View Post
What a story! I am sorry you had to pass through all this but I am glad you recovered some of the watches especially the daytona. I hope you find the rest too! Show us a picture of the Daytona when you get it back! Would be interesting to see its condition after all these years...

Yes quite the docudrama….
I will post pictures when I meet up with my friend who serendipitously was there in London when the UK police collected the watch from Rolex UK. It was in decent condition when it landed in London but the UK dealer cleaned it up and made it look great so he could sell it. So I expect it should look fine. Of course I don’t believe any of the crooks in the US had it serviced. So that’ll be my first priority upon receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
Amazing!! Great news! Big congrats!

Much appreciated guys

Old 27 September 2021, 07:27 AM   #595
77T

Well, the Platona has landed. It is in perfect condition.

It and I are at Indy for a week’s worth of races and am so very grateful to the dozen or more people who helped.

Rolex USA, Rolex UK, the Kent UK Police plus Jewelers here in US, in the UK and motorsports associates too.

Happy, happy day!

Old 27 September 2021, 07:40 AM   #596
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Happy for you Paul. Glad it’s back where it belongs.
Old 27 September 2021, 07:57 AM   #597
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, what a crazy thread. Congrats on your recovery OP!!
Old 27 September 2021, 08:11 AM   #598
dannymac55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:

Well, the Platona has landed. It is in perfect condition.

It and I are at Indy for a week’s worth of races and am so very grateful to the dozen or more people who helped.

Rolex USA, Rolex UK, the Kent UK Police plus Jewelers here in US, in the UK and motorsports associates too.

Happy, happy day!

Congrats! Happy end to the story. Little worse than people who take from others because they can’t do themselves. My wife recently picked up an 18078 and I have a couple Omegas. Investing in that safe stat!
dannymac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 09:05 AM   #599
77T

It’s amazing that the last 800 miles homeward was circuitous.

Got it back in USA by a friend couriering it personally. (He gets the big JW Blue bottle )

But then his F1 sked was wracked when another Steward couldn’t do Sochi. So an F3 Steward flew it from WDC to here at Indy (he got the 16yo Lagvulin)

Alls well now!

Old 27 September 2021, 09:06 AM   #600
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congratulations Paul. Glad it’s back on your wrist