The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2021, 05:02 AM   #1
Alxmichaud
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Buying my first Rolex

Hello guys !

Its been a while since im looking to buy my first Rolex ! I really like the style of the Datejust. Since this would be my first Rolex I want to make sure that im buying something good that will at least hold its value. I know that is cheaper a Rolex without Papers and box, but it is hard to resell ?

I found this one exactly like how I want at a price in my current target, but since I don't know a lot Im asking you help to know if this is a good buy ?

Thanks alot !
Alxmichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:06 AM   #2
dannymac55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
You definitely want at least papers. I'm sure there are people who will buy without them, but exponentially more who won't unless it becomes vintage (IMO).
dannymac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #3
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
There is a saying on the forum "Buy the seller, not the watch".

Find a trusted seller on the forum or a reputable grey, who can help you get the watch. This to ensure that you get what you buy i.e. peace of mind - Especially when going vintage

No one expects box or papers for a 1601 - its simply too old
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:11 AM   #4
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Buying my first Rolex

Congrats.

When I bought my first Rolex I never thought about reselling it. I really hate these current times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 September 2021, 05:17 AM   #5
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
I totally understand the desire to want to ensure that a Rolex purchase retains value (indeed, I think a lot of people justify their Rolex purchase that way — if s*** hits the fan, at least I can sell it), but I wouldn’t worry so much in this case.

As someone mentioned above, I don’t think anyone would expect it on a 1601. More to the point, boxes/papers are only important for resale. If you never plan to part with the watch, they don’t matter.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:26 AM   #6
Combine man
"TRF" Member

Read this forum carefully before buying,members here have a huge depth of knowledge on this subject and know a lot of reputable and not so reputable sources of pre owned pieces.
Good luck we all remember our first Rolex,but needs to be for the right reasons.
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:26 AM   #7
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Interesting, 130 same model were sold?!
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 05:29 AM   #8
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Totally understand being concerned with resale, not as a flipper, but as “what if I don’t like this watch and need to start over”. If you are buying older Rolexes you should definitely slow down. The older you go, the more educated you need to be. Unfortunately I cannot offer much more help than that because all of my Rolexes are very new models.

It’s just once you get into older watches then there are a lot of things that could have been replaced on the watch, non Rolex, non original, poor servicing work, needs complete rehaul, etc.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 06:14 AM   #9
Alxmichaud
"TRF" Member

According to the listing here is the spec of the watch
Old 29 September 2021, 06:23 AM   #10
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Well, the listing clearly states that the watch is not original e.g. dial and crystal - It raises a lot of questions about the rest of the watch.

Post it in the vintage forum instead, and get a response from more knowledge people. Will still recommend that you instead find a trusted dealer on the forum or a reputable grey, who can get you an original 1601 (if that's what you want).

If you dont care about the watch being franken, then please go ahead. However price seems a little steep then. If you care about resell, then this is not the watch for you to buy.
Old 29 September 2021, 06:28 AM   #11
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Nope!!!
Old 29 September 2021, 06:34 AM   #12
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxmichaud View Post
Hello guys !

Its been a while since im looking to buy my first Rolex ! I really like the style of the Datejust. Since this would be my first Rolex I want to make sure that im buying something good that will at least hold its value. I know that is cheaper a Rolex without Papers and box, but it is hard to resell ?

I found this one exactly like how I want at a price in my current target, but since I don't know a lot Im asking you help to know if this is a good buy ?

Thanks alot !
It's good you found something in your price target, but just in case you haven't thought about it, you might get hit by QST and duty when it arrives.
Couchpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 06:53 AM   #13
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Save a bit more and go for the brand new one at Rolex boutique/AD. You might have to wait 3-6 months but you get the best one.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 06:54 AM   #14
bob sims
Banned

No way. Pay the extra money and get it from a reputable dealer WITH papers. While 20 years ago I threw out the papers to my first Rolex as soon as the warranty ran out, that is just not done today. I wouldn't touch one without papers and box.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 06:54 AM   #15
TheVision
"TRF" Member

I NEVER buy any luxury watch without box/papers. The fake Rolexes are almost as good as the real deal (minus the shitty movement inside).

And Ebay authenticity is a joke.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 07:00 AM   #16
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

I dont know what papers people are expecting from a watch that was bought in the 1970's - Its irrelevant for a 1601
Old 29 September 2021, 09:08 AM   #17
Alxmichaud
"TRF" Member

Is the Air King are great model to start and eventually resell ?

Old 29 September 2021, 09:24 AM   #18
Bill11783
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO, LV
The seller (Becker Time) always pists cheaper Rolex watches sine the parts are not all original. Alot of their watches come with aftermarket parts. Kills resale value. You get what you pay for. If you want to get into a Rolex at a cheap price and don’t care about resale… then go for it.
Bill11783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:34 AM   #19
goldenboy80
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
When you're buying vintage, I agree with 2001jesper. "Buy the Seller". Another good seller of this type of watch is Wanna Buy a Watch in West Hollywood, CA. They are trusted by celebrities and collectors alike and can sell you an affordable vintage Rolex that they will stand behind. You can also ask questions and easily return it if it doesn't meet your needs. For a watch this old at the price you're looking, you will not get box and papers. If you get this at $4,500 it will have fake parts or fake papers. The most important thing to consider in a vintage watch is condition, not box or papers. Those accessories are icing on the cake if you really want to pay up for a rare find. Ideally the piece should be unpolished and retain factory case dimensions. Once a watch has been polished too many times (most vintage) the spring bars stick out of the lugs and the watch is toast in my opinion. A brand new 36mm Datejust is a safe bet for a new collector and not impossible to get from an AD. However, that will run about $7K - it's worth it as a first watch unless you love vintage (which I do). A new Tudor from an AD is also a good first watch.
goldenboy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:47 AM   #20
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

That watch should go somewhere between 4500-$5500. Maybe even 6k with box and papers. There are better places you can buy a 1601, i would stay away from eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:55 AM   #21
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
The good and the bad of Rolex is that, as you commented, they can be very liquid and retain value — the flip side to that is there is a very well-defined market and “you get what you pay for.” There are not really hidden gems, or great deals. There is a market price, and if a Rolex is priced very low then there are likely a lot of reasons for that price.

If your goal is to wear for awhile and resell, then it is best to avoid the lowest price Rolex around, as those may well have issues or aspects to them that are priced into the market.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 10:01 AM   #22
Alxmichaud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy80 View Post
When you're buying vintage, I agree with 2001jesper. "Buy the Seller". Another good seller of this type of watch is Wanna Buy a Watch in West Hollywood, CA. They are trusted by celebrities and collectors alike and can sell you an affordable vintage Rolex that they will stand behind. You can also ask questions and easily return it if it doesn't meet your needs. For a watch this old at the price you're looking, you will not get box and papers. If you get this at $4,500 it will have fake parts or fake papers. The most important thing to consider in a vintage watch is condition, not box or papers. Those accessories are icing on the cake if you really want to pay up for a rare find. Ideally the piece should be unpolished and retain factory case dimensions. Once a watch has been polished too many times (most vintage) the spring bars stick out of the lugs and the watch is toast in my opinion. A brand new 36mm Datejust is a safe bet for a new collector and not impossible to get from an AD. However, that will run about $7K - it's worth it as a first watch unless you love vintage (which I do). A new Tudor from an AD is also a good first watch.

So let’s say I buy a brand new rolex and then want to sell it 1 year later, will I be able to sell for the price I paid ( or even more ) or i’ll have to sell it under retail?

Old 29 September 2021, 10:03 AM   #23
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Pass. Save a little more and look for something newer - 5 digits at least. Target a specific model then watch the want ads daily. After you look at 100 or so ads/watches, you'll get a feel for condition/value. Have patients - 100's of watches hit the market every day. Good Luck.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:10 AM   #24
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you're ready to take the Rolex plunge in general (ready to spend the $), but not settled on what you want (want to be able to sell for similar $ in a year or so). This is not a great place to be. Like other here, I suggest spending time, doing due diligence, and getting something you really want. Don't rush it!

That being said, I understand your concern about holding value. As you are breaking into the entry level to Rolex financially, primarily considering 30+ yo versions of the DateJust, Oyster Perpetual, or Air King, here are some general thoughts:

1. These are all classics, whether they be 4-digit or 5-digit. They were, and still are, some of the more "common" Rolexes, so there are many out there. If this is what you really want, be patient and find the one with the right level of authenticity/originality for your comfort level. "Buy the seller" goes without saying.

2. These models will be the "most affordable," and for the same reasoning, don't expect them to appreciate in value. Will they at least not lose value? It depends on how much you pay for it. Get a good feel for the market, and pay what you are comfortable paying for what you are comfortable getting. If you pay high, expect some depreciation when it comes time to sell. If you pay market median, also expect some depreciation when it comes time to sell. If you buy low, beware of "too good to be true." Basically, be prepared to lose some money when selling. The good news is that because it is a Rolex, the depreciation is much less severe than most other brands.

3. Air King or DateJust? Air King will be 34 mm and will look best on a slender wrist, at least under 7". That's not to say that those with larger wrist can't and don't wear 34 mm...I think it looks great on them too, but nowadays many shy away from this size. If you like it, go for it (I'm personally a big fan of the old school Air King and other 34 mm Rolexes). Just keep in mind that many folks will not consider buying a 34 mm watch from you just because of some prejudice against the size. DateJust at 36 mm is perhaps the classic size for this type of watch, and it looks appropriate on almost all wrists. I'd give it the slight advantage, if resale is an important factor for you.

Best wishes. There are plenty of fish out in the Rolex sea, and especially for the models/generation that you are currently considering, there is no need to be hasty.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:59 PM   #25
doozyj
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I’d pass on it for sure. Have you considered buying a new Tudor?
doozyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 07:57 PM   #26
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
It would be a NO for me. Buy a new Tudor.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 08:57 PM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I mean it’s an old Rolex and while vintage is cool, you need to add in the cost of service getting it pressure tested and the whole thing. Those bracelets are prone to stretch and would want to make sure the bracelet is tight and secure. As for value who knows but that depends on if it’s been polished and service parts etc. the vintage world is the Wild West and best left to folks in the game for a long time. Minor things like service hands can make a difference with value over time.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:04 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Stretch your budget or wait until you can.

IMO your first Rolex purchase should be stress free and an enjoyable experience. Too many questions surrounding this watch and it’s provenance.

As for value, for the regular retail buyer of a watch such as this, I’d expect to lose money of you had to resell
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:04 PM   #29
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I know its in your price range, but it would make me nervous to buy that watch. I would see if I could wait just a little longer until I could afford to pick up a new DJ from an AD.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 09:04 PM   #30
karleone
"TRF" Member

It looks like the cyclope magnification is wrong so probably aftermarket crystal.
I think the watch is over polished and lugs are vey thin.
Endlinks adjustment is pretty bad. I would pass. There are a well known sellers that offer better watches (more expensive I guess but as said here you should buy the seller).
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote