The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 December 2020, 12:55 AM   #121
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I was never a fitness guy other than outdoor activities, never really worked out in a gym, and decided to give resistance training a try starting about a year ago. Our kids had outgrown the playroom, and we'd always intended to equip the space for us. After several months with some adjustable dumbbells and a bench, decided to get a squat rack and barbell setup as well. These things can take up a ton of space! But I wanted to get the model with weight storage that can also accommodate a cable system down the road. Really enjoying it now doing a beginner program.

The open space in the front isn't as big as it appears in the photo, but it works. My wife really likes doing landmine workouts in that space, so I got her a lady's bar so she doesn't jack up the sleeve on mine. I do my deadlifts out there too. Then we can swap out the rower and our road bikes on a trainer in that space as well while "earning" the hour of TV time. I usually work out alone early in the morning, but I have to say it's fun working out with her as well. We even put the kids on a little program using dumbbells and the pullup bar, so it's still technically a play room

Home gym by uscmatt99, on Flickr
Thats a nice looking squat rack! Is that an Iron Master bench? If so, regular or Pro and what's your opinion of it, particularly the height.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 01:38 AM   #122
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Thats a nice looking squat rack! Is that an Iron Master bench? If so, regular or Pro and what's your opinion of it, particularly the height.
Thanks! It's the Ironmaster Pro bench. I really like it. Very stable, comfortably firm pad, and easy to move around even on carpet. The height is fine for me when flat. The seat definitely feels low for incline positioning, even on the higher setting. Not sure who would use it on the lower setting to be honest. It's also a bit weird as the seat is always 90 degrees relative to the back. That said, I do love that it has no gap. I got the crunch add-on which is nice for decline benching and ab stuff. I wish I would have purchased the hypercore too. I did overbuy initially when I got this with my adjustable dumbbells (fantastic by the way), and got the dumbbell spotting stands. They are okay, but it's a kludge to set up and kicking the weights up works just fine.

The rack is from Rep Fitness. They've gotten some bad press recently after a couple of stumbles on new releases and price bumps, but I love their stuff so far. Was initially going to go Rogue but my ceilings barely allowed clearance without cutting down the uprights a bit, and the Rogue cable attachment looks like a design disaster that also wouldn't fit my space anyway. I have 30" of space in the rack which is probably more than I need but feels just perfect. I would have gone with the Rogue RML-490c if the Rep hadn't become available, also a great piece of equipment, with the benefit of being made in the US.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2020, 09:36 AM   #123
Ricklovessport21
"TRF" Member

I have a rowing machine in my house, but, unfortunately, I am too lazy to start doing exercises
Ricklovessport21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 06:45 AM   #124
stockae92
"TRF" Member

At home, I do push ups, and setup indoor cycling smart trainer with Zwift to get myself going. I am also a runner which I do outside (I just run *away* from people nowadays)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:41 PM   #125
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Tonal installed
Updating so I’ll report back after I use it.

Do love the small footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Another great workout this morning. Really digging the Tonal so far. Will continue to follow their routines for a week or two, then I will make some custom routines up. The quality of the equipment is excellent. Really solid and easy to use. Wife is using it too and she is not "techy" but has had no problems using it. Must say I am really impressed. LOL, I should add, I am sore as ****
Thanks, we just ordered our Tonal last Saturday and have a 10-12 week wait.

We need to go back for our assessment, but we were impressed with what we saw at the store. Looking forward to getting it installed.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 04:07 AM   #126
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

We need to go back for our assessment, but we were impressed with what we saw at the store. Looking forward to getting it installed.
Awesome. Hope you dig it as much as we do. So many different options and they keep adding more stuff all the time. Tony Horton the PX90 is on there now. I am currently following Radical Muscle Rock which I do 2 days on then Yoga on the third day, then repeat. Doing exercises I have never done before. Different than the weight training I have done most of my life. I lost some weight which I really do not want to, but I am in better shape overall. I added about a full iron of distance in golf in the winter, so that may be 2 clubs come summer. The combination of single limb movements, yoga, more flexibility and different strength is good for the golf swing!

Good luck and hope to hear what you think.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 06:11 AM   #127
coucher
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I’ve had a home gym for the last 5 years. If you need motivation then the Peloton and Hydrow are great choices. I really like the rower because it’s s full body workout and easy on the joints. If you don’t need motivation get a Concept 2 rower for half the price and no subscription fee plus you don’t need to buy fancy pants and shoes.
coucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 08:12 AM   #128
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome. Hope you dig it as much as we do. So many different options and they keep adding more stuff all the time. Tony Horton the PX90 is on there now. I am currently following Radical Muscle Rock which I do 2 days on then Yoga on the third day, then repeat. Doing exercises I have never done before. Different than the weight training I have done most of my life. I lost some weight which I really do not want to, but I am in better shape overall. I added about a full iron of distance in golf in the winter, so that may be 2 clubs come summer. The combination of single limb movements, yoga, more flexibility and different strength is good for the golf swing!

Good luck and hope to hear what you think.
Any particular cable movements that you feel are contributing to your iron distances? I need all the help I can get
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 08:24 AM   #129
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Any particular cable movements that you feel are contributing to your iron distances? I need all the help I can get
Good question. I think it is a combination of the routines. Lots of single limb work. So one handed/legged. Good for core and balance. More specific to golf are some of the lateral pull moves across the body. Both up to down and down to up. Core work daily. Doing Yoga every third day. My range of motion has improved quite a bit. Plus I am doing more quick burst type exercises so a combination of more flexibility and speed. It actually messes me up a little on the course. I have been pretty dialed in distance wise with irons and wedges all year. So hitting a full lob wedge 10 yards farther is a big adjustment. That is where I am noticing it the most is in the short irons. But no question longer through the bag. My homies have noticed for sure. Especially since we are playing when it is in the 30's or low 40's.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 11:19 AM   #130
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I figured I’d update this post based on some outstanding help I’ve been getting through pm from Donas (Wade). So the home renovation finished up last month. I’ve got the gym about 85% complete. Researching the right power rack right now due to low ceilings. After that just adding more plates and attachments for the rack.

20C60E74-9109-4CB3-955E-8CA8C64435F9.jpeg

B1B07C86-8CE3-4C1B-A64C-AED297CD7BEA.jpeg
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:15 PM   #131
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
I figured I’d update this post based on some outstanding help I’ve been getting through pm from Donas (Wade). So the home renovation finished up last month. I’ve got the gym about 85% complete. Researching the right power rack right now due to low ceilings. After that just adding more plates and attachments for the rack.

Attachment 1246632

Attachment 1246633
Wow! That is awesome!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:25 PM   #132
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Lots of sweet gyms in this thread! Wade, insane space, and job well done! I have this Inspire FT2, love it, check it out, nothing you can't do, and smooth as butter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg insp 11 .jpeg (112.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpeg insp 22 .jpeg (113.6 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpeg insp 33.jpeg (104.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg inspire 44 .JPG (76.3 KB, 210 views)
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 07:17 PM   #133
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

Attachment 1246632

Attachment 1246633
It looks great!
Old 29 September 2021, 08:38 PM   #134
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
It looks great!
Thank you Paul. You were there to help when I first got started so to express my appreciation I’m going to let you start your gym membership with a low introductory friends and family discount: your first month will be free, that was August, and then 19.99 for each month after. But wait there’s more! Your first payment isn’t due until October 1, 2021!
Old 29 September 2021, 10:43 PM   #135
donas
Banned

Quote:
That's a nice workout area, definitely enough to stay motivated at home. I was picturing something much smaller the way you described it. I'm going on two years of solely working out at home. I do miss some of the misc machines at a commercial gym but not the 30 min drive to and from. Having everything you need at home really makes you feel like a lazy piece of crap when you skip a workout...so there's that
Old 30 September 2021, 12:35 AM   #136
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think every home gym should have a hidden door, so you don't feel guilty when you walk by it day after day and don't feel like going in.

You can just pretend it's not there.
Old 30 September 2021, 12:39 AM   #137
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think every home gym should have a hidden door, so you don't feel guilty when you walk by it day after day and don't feel like going in.

You can just pretend it's not there.
Just like my kitchen needs a time lock door!!
Old 30 September 2021, 12:40 AM   #138
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

That is an awesome dream gym!
Quote:
Working out has always been a big part of mine and my wife's lifestyle. About a year and a half ago we moved into a house with a huge unfinished room. Over the last 18 months or so, I have constructed the best home gym I could ever want.

If anyone is wondering the size, it's roughly 26x60 feet. Our house is built into a hillside and the previous owners built this room merely to set the house on the hill at the desired elevation. It has sat empty and unfinished for 16 years.

To answer the question of what to add to a home gym, I get the best workout from my rower, assault bike, and battle ropes. The single best all body workout and cardio combined would hands down be battle ropes (in my opinion).
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:45 AM   #139
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Wow! That is awesome!
Thank you
Old 30 September 2021, 12:21 PM   #140
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I’ll update here as well. Haven’t posted the gym I set up since we moved….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:40 PM   #141
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
That is an awesome dream gym!
Thanks
Old 30 September 2021, 06:30 PM   #142
mailman

Quote:
Thank you Paul. You were there to help when I first got started so to express my appreciation I’m going to let you start your gym membership with a low introductory friends and family discount: your first month will be free, that was August, and then 19.99 for each month after. But wait there’s more! Your first payment isn’t due until October 1, 2021!
Darn it. I was going to ask if you would take a Polar on trade for a lifetime membership. Guess I missed out
Old 1 October 2021, 12:38 AM   #143
Mjbull23
"TRF" Member

I went with a Peloton and free weights. Works great for my situation and goals.

Mjbull23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 06:01 AM   #144
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Darn it. I was going to ask if you would take a Polar on trade for a lifetime membership. Guess I missed out
Well I figure at $19.99 a month I’ll have the money for a polar long before I can find an AD with one to buy.
Old 1 October 2021, 01:55 PM   #145
donas
Banned

Quote:
Well I figure at $19.99 a month I’ll have the money for a polar long before I can find an AD with one to buy.
If I did the math properly, it would require roughly 25 cents a month to collect the amount needed by the time the AD called.
Old 1 October 2021, 02:04 PM   #146
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If I did the math properly, it would require roughly 25 cents a month to collect the amount needed by the time the AD called.
True. At $19.99 a month I’ll be looking at platinum day dates by the time I get the call.
Old 1 October 2021, 06:23 PM   #147
mailman

Quote:
I'm only willing to pay $9.99 a month
Old 1 October 2021, 11:23 PM   #148
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Space in our home will be limited for us in the next few years once kids enter the picture. This has me seriously considering a Tonal.

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 12:29 AM   #149
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Seeing some of these home gyms, I just cringe. Not that they aren't beautiful, it's just that I have this thing where I go. ...."damn, what happens when I move and have to try to pack this stuff up and move it".

When I moved from Canada to California it took years before I would look at someone's driveway that was steep, and wonder how the hell are they going to deal with that in the winter.

I know....it's just me.
Old 2 October 2021, 02:57 AM   #150
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Seeing some of these home gyms, I just cringe. Not that they aren't beautiful, it's just that I have this thing where I go. ...."damn, what happens when I move and have to try to pack this stuff up and move it".

When I moved from Canada to California it took years before I would look at someone's driveway that was steep, and wonder how the hell are they going to deal with that in the winter.

I know....it's just me.

I’m pretty sure that’s the mover’s problem!

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote