The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 October 2021, 11:34 PM   #1
DD58
"TRF" Member

Thoughts about baume et mercier

Hi guys I seem to always turn to the forum for advice. One of my close friends had a classima executives gold case white dial. He offered it to me for 2k box papers. He’s the only owner. I like the look of the watch I just don’t know much about the brand.
What caught my eye is it’s a 18k gold case. And the texture dial. I think it’s an eta movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:03 AM   #2
DD58
"TRF" Member

Here’s a pic my friend sent me.

Old 6 October 2021, 04:48 AM   #3
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Nice watch and brand with some history.

What exactly are you after?

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 04:59 AM   #4
DD58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
Nice watch and brand with some history.

What exactly are you after?

I don’t have a dress watch. Nor do I own a gold watch. And I have a relatives wedding coming up in December. I did have a few other dress watches in my head Cartier tank xl or reverso duo. I don’t dress up all that often and kinda figured the reverso wouldn’t get much use and for 9k I’d rather wait for my Rolex. And the Cartier I definitely some day will buy one to try it out.
So really I figured for the price it’s not a bad watch. The dial nice it has a date which I like. I do wish it was a small seconds like yours.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:14 AM   #5
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD58 View Post
I don’t have a dress watch. Nor do I own a gold watch. And I have a relatives wedding coming up in December. I did have a few other dress watches in my head Cartier tank xl or reverso duo. I don’t dress up all that often and kinda figured the reverso wouldn’t get much use and for 9k I’d rather wait for my Rolex. And the Cartier I definitely some day will buy one to try it out.
So really I figured for the price it’s not a bad watch. The dial nice it has a date which I like. I do wish it was a small seconds like yours.

Ok. So not to put you off B&M.

You should also consider other ‘dress watches’ in that price range.

These range from Longines, Nomos, Montblanc etc.

Ideally ‘a classic dress watch for a man’ is a PM or plated watch with a plain classic dial and minimalistic markers, white or champagne colour, two under ideally (3-hand ok), no other complications per se.

Shape is your choice but since pocket watches were typically round the expectation carries over.

You names some nice brands and designs. But in my mind the top echelon would be the PP Calatrava, JLC Master ultra thin, VC Patrimony or the ALS similar.

Do cast a wider net before you lock onto B&M. Buying it is easy but getting rid of it isn’t!

Old 6 October 2021, 05:27 AM   #6
DD58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok. So not to put you off B&M.

You should also consider other ‘dress watches’ in that price range.

These range from Longines, Nomos, Montblanc etc.

Ideally ‘a classic dress watch for a man’ is a PM or plated watch with a plain classic dial and minimalistic markers, white or champagne colour, two under ideally (3-hand ok), no other complications per se.

Shape is your choice but since pocket watches were typically round the expectation carries over.

You names some nice brands and designs. But in my mind the top echelon would be the PP Calatrava, JLC Master ultra thin, VC Patrimony or the ALS similar.

Do cast a wider net before you lock onto B&M. Buying it is easy but getting rid of it isn’t!

This is way I always come to the forum. Thanks for the suggestions. I would love a calatrava! I’ll start to look some more. I know it won’t go any were he was just throwing it out there. I do have plenty of time to go try some more watches.
Let me ask you this is a dress watch would be plated then when would it be right to wear a full gold watch? I don’t really dress up much.
Mostly for important holidays and one a year of a work meeting. Needless to say I’m lacking in the etiquette of being fancy.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:39 AM   #7
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is way I always come to the forum. Thanks for the suggestions. I would love a calatrava! I’ll start to look some more. I know it won’t go any were he was just throwing it out there. I do have plenty of time to go try some more watches.
Let me ask you this is a dress watch would be plated then when would it be right to wear a full gold watch? I don’t really dress up much.
Mostly for important holidays and one a year of a work meeting. Needless to say I’m lacking in the etiquette of being fancy.

You are welcome.

Not mandatory these days for the watch to be all gold/PM. That said if it is going to be your one gold watch and you are able to stretch then go for it.

Agree. For me the classic Calatrava is the literally the gold standard. Especially a great deal when bought at the right price.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:39 AM   #8
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are welcome.

Not mandatory these days for the watch to be all gold/PM. That said if it is going to be your one gold watch and you are able to stretch then go for it.

Agree. For me the classic Calatrava is the literally the gold standard. Especially a great deal when bought at the right price.

I could even argue this one is a vintage classic dress watch. Some may argue it isn’t.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:40 AM   #9
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I could even argue this one is a vintage classic dress watch. Some may argue it isn’t.

That said for the $2k ish budget see if you can snag a Montblanc Chronometrie 2nd hand but plated. You do get a full gold case but lot more dearer. Excellent value these pieces and best of Swiss horology traditions.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:41 AM   #10
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That said for the $2k ish budget see if you can snag a Montblanc Chronometrie 2nd hand but plated. You do get a full gold case but lot more dearer. Excellent value these pieces and best of Swiss horology traditions.

This one is a date model. You should look for the non-date model of the design is of your liking.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:46 AM   #11
DD58
"TRF" Member

WOW PP now that’s a dress watch. I’ll have to see if there’s anything under 4K. I do like montblanc I’ll start looking when I get home tonight. Maybe get lucky and find a calatrava in that range.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:52 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i like the Timex over the Patek with HobieNobie bezel. Am not 'kind' on bezels as i wear 'em.

OP: Have you considered a classic Tux dial?

Brand new msrp $2k and probaly get it for $1700 out the door... plus it's new so you get a nice warranty too. :)

https://www.longines.com/en-us/watch...-l2-330-4-93-0

Untitled-1.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:55 AM   #13
DD58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
i like the Timex over the Patek with HobieNobie bezel. Am not 'kind' on bezels as i wear 'em.

OP: Have you considered a classic Tux dial?

Brand new msrp $2k and probaly get it for $1700 out the door... plus it's new so you get a nice warranty too. :)

https://www.longines.com/en-us/watch...-l2-330-4-93-0

Attachment 1247979

No I didn’t even thing to look at longines. That is a nice watch. And for the price I can still keep some money aside for a future watch purchase. Hum this is why this obsession is so difficult. I want no who am I kidding I need so many of them.

Old 6 October 2021, 09:44 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hum this is why this obsession is so difficult. I want no who am I kidding I need so many of them.
Look, you're asking the wrong guy here

And yeah, i've been diversifying too and there's something about the tux dial. Movement is nice too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:27 PM   #15
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Baume & Mercier makes a decent watch, although I personally think Longines makes a better and more attractive watch in this price range. If you're okay with steel, the Longines Heritage line has several excellent options that can be had for around $1,500 new. If you're looking for gold, I'm a fan of the Longines Présence Heritage 38mm Gold Automatic L47858732, which can be had for around $2,500 new.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:38 PM   #16
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I like the Longines Tux. My top dress watches:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 05:37 PM   #17
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Whilst I respect PP and a "dress watch" isn't something I own, I think these are the two nicest watches in the thread:

If I absolutely had to attend the ambassadors' cocktail party I'd blow a whole $350 on this and call it good. Date window and all...

Old 7 October 2021, 07:14 PM   #18
DD58
"TRF" Member

Seiko holds a special place in my heart. As many before me the skx007 is my second automatic. And right now I think I owns 8 seikos. The cocktail time is nice from them.

If I was looking for a vintage watch we’re would be the best place to start looking?

Old 10 October 2021, 10:41 AM   #19
DD58
"TRF" Member

I think we can put this thread to bed. I purchased a Cartier tank as my dress watch. I feel it’s more in line with my watch style than the baume. And if I had to sell it I don’t think I would have a problem.