The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2021, 08:20 PM   #1
Silver Surfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1661OV
Newbie w/ a Newbie Question re: 1661OV

First time post by a new Member:

I recently came across this forum and have been impressed with the level of knowledge and expertise by so many of its members on all things Rolex.

Therefore, what better place to go for a Newbie like me with some Newbie questions.

Background:

I am the original owner and purchased a 1661OV in 2008 new from a licensed Retailer.

After 13 years I am now trying to ascertain knowledge about its upkeep and maintenance. This is harder than it may seem for a Newbie like me and I am reticent to believe everything a Dealer says.

I rarely wear this piece and it is not because I am a collector--I am not one.
I know how much they have appreciated and demand is high so for me I do not feel comfortable having it on every day.

For ED, I prefer something that keeps great time and if by chance it is scratched or worse I won't feel foolish or heartbroken, like a TAG for instance (apologies if I have already offended someone on this forum ).

During these 13 years I have never had the watch serviced.

When it does get worn (after first winding it approximately 25 times in a row) it functions nicely however it runs a little bit on the fast side at first--perhaps picking up 1-2 minutes per day for the first few days and then it settles in.

After one or maximum two corrections of the minute hand to the exact time in parallel with wearing the piece for several days in a row it keeps perfect time.

I think it is telling me it wants to be worn more often !

Newb Questions:

1.) Is there a recommended service interval for this model Rolex even if the piece is worn infrequently?

2.) When placed under a loop with good light I can see a small amount of dirt, fiber, etc...in between the bezel and case which has collected there over this time however you would never notice this with the naked eye. Does this small amount of debris warrant at least a partial field strip and ultrasonic cleaning?

3.) If/when it is ultimately serviced should it be polished back to its original condition or left as-is?

4.) Is the slightly fast movement described above normal, or is this an indication that servicing is warranted and if done correctly may eliminate this going forward?

5.) If/when servicing occurs should I insist on having it sent directly to a Rolex service center or can a reputable licensed Rolex dealer perform this?

6.) What is a fair price for such a servicing?

Thank you in advance for any answers, thoughts or comments!

Silver Surfer
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 08:59 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Welcome to the forum

Recommended service interval at the time was 5 yearly.
However it’s really up to you. I never service any of my watches until something is wrong. Two of mine running for two decades without and still keeping good time.
An unnecessary service never hurts anything but your wallet. At least it will ensure new seals being installed to avoid water ingress.

The error in time keeping may be due to lack of power reserve. 25 turns is not enough. Try 40 full winds. (You cannot overwind, there is a slipping mechanism to avoid that) If it doesn’t help I would service it.

I use only an official RSC, in the US this will be New York or Dallas and avoid the middle man (AD) This way I am able to have contact with the RSC myself, otherwise the RSC will only contact the AD.
Sometimes wishes get lost in between you, AD and RSC.
Insist on keeping everything original, hands and insert and communicate this clearly. Count on <1K.
If you sent in your watch you get an estimate with required and recommended jobs to be done.

Cleaning with a toothbrush and dish soap works good. Only the bracelet is suitable for an ultrasonic. Not the head. Using a US cleaner every once in a while is useful and is also what the RSC is doing.

Since you have hardly used it I would not polish it. Probably still looks great. Pictures would be nice.

Just my two cents.

Wear and enjoy your watch, it was designed for it and can certainly handle everything you throw at it
Old 9 October 2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Silver Surfer
"TRF" Member

Hi Joli160,

Thanks for the info this is very helpful.

I have added a pic to my avatar.
Old 10 October 2021, 12:07 AM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The prettiest 5 digit Submariner around
Old 11 October 2021, 10:22 PM   #5
Silver Surfer
"TRF" Member

Thanks Joli160 I think so too !
Old 12 October 2021, 01:22 AM   #6
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Hello Silver Surfer welcome to TRF!

I am not experienced enough to answer all your questions but based on my experience of servicing my 9-year old Datejust II I'd say that:

1. It's recommended to service your Rolex every 8-10 years (modern pieces).
2. Not me. I try not to use the loupe too much, I just clean my watch with soapy water and rinse and it looks great!
3. I personally prefer to have my watch restored to its like-new condition.
4. Well your watch is 13 years old, if it were mine I'd service it, especially if it's running too fast (to the point where you have to re-adjust the time every couple of days).
5. I've had a great experience servicing directly at RSC so if it's not too much of a hassle I highly recommend using RSC.
6. Depends on the model/parts/area. My Datejust II complete overhaul + polish + parts + crystal cost me roughly $1,100 total in June 2020.

Just my 2 cents!