The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 December 2021, 06:32 PM   #1
krapula
"TRF" Member

ROLEX 6084 - Everest Expedition auction

Good evening everyone, for some time now I have been passionate about Rolex ovetto and semi-ovetto and some references are now fixed in my research. Just a few hours ago there was an auction here in France, not at all international but rather local, on some jewels and vintage watches. Among the various timepieces there was a Rolex 6084 which bore the following engraving: "Dr F. Berthoud Genève 1952, expédition Everest". I include the only two photos available.

I leave room for those who have more knowledge than me to express opinions on the goodness of the watch and on whether the piece actually belongs to Berthoud.
In order to arouse your curiosity, I will tell you that the estimate range was from 3k to 5k. I will tell you the final sale price later.

There are many questions and reflections. One on the fly. Is this really the Everest Expedition model? If yes, it's like finding a Caravaggio in the basement. If not, then is an engraving really enough to make a piece a historical piece?

Hi guys,

I
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 13.38.42.png (166.3 KB, 242 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 13.38.47.png (270.6 KB, 238 views)
krapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:14 AM   #2
CTech
"TRF" Member

Here is some history of the 1952 Swiss Mount Everest expedition:

https://explorersweb.com/polar/news.php?id=16080

and it gives a list of those who took part:

Dr. med. Edouard Wyss-Dunant led the Swiss 1952s Everest expedition. Other members were: René Dittert, lead climber; Dr. med. Gabriel Chevalley, expedition doctor; Jean-Jacques Asper; René Aubert; Léon Flory; Ernest Hofstetter; Raymond Lambert; André Roch, all from Geneva. They were joined by a study group from the University of Geneva, made up of the geologist Prof. Dr. Augustin Lombard, the ethnologist Mme Marguerite Lobsiger and the botanist Albert Zimmermann. All expedition members were long-time friends and members of Geneva's "L'Androsace" Climbing club.

There is no mention of a Dr F. Berthoud in the expedition so I think this is a watch that was engraved to commemorate the occasion rather than one used on the expedition itself.

Maybe Dr F. Berthoud was a member of the L'Androsace climbing club and knew the expedition members.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:55 AM   #3
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Hi
Were you participating in the auction? I was on the phone but quit before the end…

I did a lot of research these last 2 weeks about it. Dr Francis Berthoud was the secretary to the expedition, in charge of the organization (he was over 50 by then). So no, this watch probably didn’t indeed climb but it’s nontheless an Everest modified Rolex and the exact twin to the one kept in the Beyer museum as Hillary’s one he had when he climbed in 53…Have never seen any other similar…

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
DSplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:35 AM   #4
CTech
"TRF" Member

Many thanks, that's a fascinating piece of history.

Do you know what the modifications to the Everest Expedition models were?
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:17 PM   #5
krapula
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSplash View Post
Hi
Were you participating in the auction? I was on the phone but quit before the end…

I did a lot of research these last 2 weeks about it. Dr Francis Berthoud was the secretary to the expedition, in charge of the organization (he was over 50 by then). So no, this watch probably didn’t indeed climb but it’s nontheless an Everest modified Rolex and the exact twin to the one kept in the Beyer museum as Hillary’s one he had when he climbed in 53…Have never seen any other similar…

Yes I was participating, I was live. Price way out of the ordinary in my opinion. I also posted this on a highly rated Italian forum and they too have doubts about it.
Several curiosities :
a) Ferdinand Berthoud is a fairly well-priced Geneva watchmaker, historically known for its dials for doctors: here is the link sorry I need 10 post in order to post a link :(
b) the layout of the dedication is totally different from the official one, which is found on the watches of those who actually took part in the expedition. Here is the link of the expedition: sorry I need 10 post in order to post a link :(
c) the typographic fonts, especially the numbers, are quite different and rather modern compared to those used by Rolex in 1950. For a comparison: sorry I need 10 post in order to post a link :(

Greetings,

I
Old 10 December 2021, 12:11 AM   #6
krapula
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi

Hi DSplash, tried to send you a pv message (in French :)) but your box is full...
Old 10 December 2021, 03:00 AM   #7
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

very cool! What did it end up selling for?
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 04:02 AM   #8
krapula
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
very cool! What did it end up selling for?
40K euros + auction fees (27%)
Old 10 December 2021, 04:03 AM   #9
krapula
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi

Old 10 December 2021, 04:08 AM   #10
DSplash
"TRF" Member

The one that had me dream!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

:)

Old 10 December 2021, 05:03 AM   #11
330ci
"TRF" Member

Sounds like someone got a bargain. Will be interesting to hear more about the history of this watch as its dredged up
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:25 AM   #12
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Yeah, the quintessential of Rolex former spirit, so far from what they have become…A prototype modified to resist extreme temperatures! And for half the price of a random 6263 (which I love but that’s not the point…), that’s more than a bargain!

Old 10 December 2021, 06:19 AM   #13
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

awesome watch and great research in your VRF thread, @DSplash!
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote