The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2022, 02:10 AM   #1
ltwoods906
"TRF" Member

Datejust 16233 Repairs

Hi all. First time poster and new member here. I recently was given a 16233 Datejust (two tone, diamond champagne dial.) I am the third generation to wear this watch so it carries a substantial amount of sentimental value. The issue is, it is in quite terrible condition. I brought it to a Rolex Service center and it is due for ~$8000 in repairs. New bracelet, movement overhaul, new dial, new hands, etc… Virtually everything needs to be repaired. With this watch being so old, what is everyone’s opinion on doing this sort of repair? I realize it takes away from the “vintage” aspect of the watch. Considering a new datejust is going for a price not that far off of $8000 and is a somewhat available watch, I’m struggling with if this is a wise choice. Any opinions would be appreciated. This is my first Rolex and I already have the itch to either buy a new one or get this fixed as quickly as I can. Thanks in advance!
ltwoods906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 05:15 AM   #2
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

I think the question that you have to answer is, "Is it more important to have a new watch or a newly refinished/refurbished watch with some degree of sentimental value (seeing that they are both going to be about the same to acquire)?" Although you will have new parts, I would still consider it the watch that has been passed down.
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 05:18 AM   #3
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

I dont see how you can justify $8K in repairs. Take it to a trusted non Rolex watchmaker and see how much they will charge you. If it is still too expensive, just buy a new one.
buffetwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 06:29 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A 16233 isn't really that old.

For it to need a new movement there must be water damage? Also, dial and hands are often recommended because they don't "glow", but seldom do they actually need to be replaced.

Much of the cost in an estimate like you cite, is in a new bracelet. Very often a bracelet repair shop, such as Rolliworks in California, can repair/refurbish them for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Old 4 January 2022, 06:35 AM   #5
ltwoods906
"TRF" Member

Correct. There is water damage which caused a lot of the issues. I had explored the idea of having the bracelet refurbished but was unsure how that typically turns out.
ltwoods906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 06:39 AM   #6
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
There are quite a few independents around the country In sure could repair or guide a bit better on it all much more cost effectively. I would track one of them down. I use D’s time in San Diego for my 16750 that also had water entry once upon a time. Tom at Ds got mine fixed and up and running for just under $1k. Been working great ever since, and he was able to save a lot of the components.
Old 4 January 2022, 06:40 AM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Go to an independent watchmaker and indeed have the bracelet refurbished
Old 4 January 2022, 07:10 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

I’d like to see pictures of the damage … sounds like it’s in pretty shape regardless of it’s age.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 10:20 AM   #9
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I guess the issue is do you want it restored to factory new condition or just get it running and wearable. Just looking around you can find examples in great condition for ~7K... It's not a rare reference at all. I would find a place that does bracelet restoration and movement work and see what they say. Rolliworks does both and there might be someone closer to where you live.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote