The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2022, 12:44 PM   #1
superlativechrono
"TRF" Member

Original Gas Escape Valve

Floating around in the ocean one balmy evening this week (wearing a Sea-Dweller of course), I couldn’t help pondering the automatic gas escape valve.

Has anyone ever seen this in the “open” position?

I’d expect that the valve activates for a brief instant only (to equilibrate pressure) however, it’d be cool to see this in action either in the lab or real-world situations.

And yes, I know this is completely academic for nearly all of us who won’t take their watches to even 1% of their rated depth (let-alone into a He-mixed gas dive chamber) but still…..
superlativechrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 12:54 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I’m not sure how anyone could see this valve ‘open’ but it won’t be operating under water?

Iirc it requires a differential of about 45 psi.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 01:01 PM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

There are a handful of commercial divers on the forum (though many are long inactive). We’ll have to wait to for their response if they have ever seen it function. Maybe Padi has?
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 01:28 PM   #4
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I’m not sure how anyone could see this valve ‘open’ but it won’t be operating under water?

Iirc it requires a differential of about 45 psi.
Yeah, the only place it would be opening is in the decompression chamber on the surface. The divers are living in an environment in which Helium has replaced varying amounts of the nitrogen in the air, and might have been doing so for weeks, as well as living at pressures anywhere from 5x atmospheric pressure to a lot more than that. During that time the Helium has seeped into the watch as well. Apparently human tissue can off-gas faster than a sealed up watch (Helium is a much smaller molecule than nitrogen). So during the gradual process of returning to surface pressure (which can still take days) the little HEV will gradually pop open to relieve the excess pressure. Also apparently, oxygen and nitrogen either don't penetrate the case or do so in small enough amounts not to require an HEV.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 01:36 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Among professional divers working in saturation mode, you’d be surprised how seldom this comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 02:00 PM   #6
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Among professional divers working in saturation mode, you’d be surprised how seldom this comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like it though! It feels like the Rolex forum of the past with these type of discussions. Someone will ask about HEV values soon .
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 05:21 PM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It would be impossible to ever see it in the open position without some serious magnification.
The Helium molecules are so small and the amount of time it would need to be open wouldn't amount to a fleeting thought of a little burp with the small amount of Helium it would need to bleed off.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 06:26 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlativechrono View Post
Floating around in the ocean one balmy evening this week (wearing a Sea-Dweller of course), I couldn’t help pondering the automatic gas escape valve.

Has anyone ever seen this in the “open” position?

I’d expect that the valve activates for a brief instant only (to equilibrate pressure) however, it’d be cool to see this in action either in the lab or real-world situations.

And yes, I know this is completely academic for nearly all of us who won’t take their watches to even 1% of their rated depth (let-alone into a He-mixed gas dive chamber) but still…..
Most all dive watches bought today will never see water other perhaps a shower, swim in the sea, or dip in the pool, and the max depth ratings on many of these watches will never be used by man or superman in water.The HEV is just a one way valve fully automatic on all the Rolex dive range it's only used for saturation divers who work underwater and reside at depth in dry chambers at the same outside water pressure.The gas they breath mainly now a high helium content the gas particles are that small they can pass thought the watch crystal seals etc.And when the divers are being re-compressed to normal atmosphere pressure, any gas thats in the watches escapes through the HEV valve as they return to normal surface pressure. Otherwise the gas would expand with the rise to normal atmospheric pressure, and the weakest point the crystal would most probably explode.A normal scuba diver would have no need to use the HEV on any watch.Think of it this way take a balloon down to 10m under water. That's 2 atmospheres one water pressure one surface air pressure.Now fill that balloon with air at that pressure of 2 atmospheres.Now because the compressed air is now under-pressure and quite dense. You can fill it but the amount of air breathing gas content would be twice as much as normal above water on the surface.Now release that balloon and let it go back to the surface because of the return to one atmosphere surface pressure balloon would expand and burst simply because there was twice as much air in it at surface pressure.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 09:40 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
There are a handful of commercial divers on the forum (though many are long inactive). We’ll have to wait to for their response if they have ever seen it function. Maybe Padi has?
Been in a recompression chamber a few times with my 16600 SD after breathing high Helium gas mix but that was many many years ago but never watched it to see if it moved but it would be a blink of your eye quick. And talking about the the HEV it was around 1969 when Doxa introduced the first divers watch equipped with a Helium Release Valve, that was available first to the general public.And its widely believed to have been co-developed by Doxa and Rolex at that time.Now Rolex submitted a prototype patent on 6th November 1967, its thought only around 50 of these double Red 1665s were distributed with patent pending backs.Although Rolex fitted Submariners (model 5513 - non date) with prototypes of this escape valve, for the COMEX divers.They did not start to build the Helium Release Valve into their retail dive watches until the SD in 1971,two years after the Doxa. Now after a bit of negotiations with Doxa and both companies had a very good working relationship at that time.So its widely believed they decided to share the HEV Valve patent,just to get it into production and for sale to the public the new HEV Rolex SD.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 January 2022, 10:07 PM   #10
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Been in a recompression chamber a few times with my 16600 SD after breathing high Helium gas mix but that was many many years ago but never watched it to see if it moved but it would be a blink of your eye quick. And talking about the the HEV it was around 1969 when Doxa introduced the first divers watch equipped with a Helium Release Valve, that was available first to the general public.And its widely believed to have been co-developed by Doxa and Rolex at that time.Now Rolex submitted a prototype patent on 6th November 1967, its thought only around 50 of these double Red 1665s were distributed with patent pending backs.Although Rolex fitted Submariners (model 5513 - non date) with prototypes of this escape valve, for the COMEX divers.They did not start to build the Helium Release Valve into their retail dive watches until the SD in 1971,two years after the Doxa. Now after a bit of negotiations with Doxa and both companies had a very good working relationship at that time.So its widely believed they decided to share the HEV Valve patent,just to get it into production and for sale to the public the new HEV Rolex SD.

Thanks for sharing your abundance of knowledge with us Peter!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 10:28 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I always appreciate the history lessons Peter. It’s one of the reasons I joined here. Thank you and happy new year to you and yours
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 10:59 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Thanks for sharing your abundance of knowledge with us Peter!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I always appreciate the history lessons Peter. It’s one of the reasons I joined here. Thank you and happy new year to you and yours
Only glad to pass on a bit of knowledge and information Brian and Mr Goat, and all supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, that I have taken the trouble to learn about Rolex/Tudor over the past 50 odd years. But today its nicknames, alignment points, protective watch film, AD relationship building spending, investment ££$$$€€€€ stuff, special cleaning cloths, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys that now takes priority on forum over any Rolex/Tudor knowledge.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 January 2022, 11:20 PM   #13
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
The HEV is just a one way valve fully automatic on all the Rolex dive range it's only used for saturation divers who work underwater and reside at depth in dry chambers at the same outside water pressure.The gas they breath mainly now a high helium content the gas particles are that small they can pass thought the watch crystal seals etc.And when the divers are being re-compressed to normal atmosphere pressure, any gas thats in the watches escapes through the HEV valve as they return to normal surface pressure. Otherwise the gas would expand with the rise to normal atmospheric pressure, and the weakest point the crystal would most probably explode.
If the helium particles they can pass through the crystal, seal etc. to get in, why can’t they get out the same way?

Presumably this is because of the differences in the time the watch is subject to the different pressures? Typically do divers stay in the high pressure / helium concentration environment for a lot longer than the time needed for safe decompression? Does it take longer for the helium to get in than it does to decompress?

You can, no doubt, tell that my diving experience is non existent!

Thanks in advance.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 11:36 PM   #14
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Only glad to pass on a bit of knowledge and information Brian and Mr Goat, and all supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, that I have taken the trouble to learn about Rolex/Tudor over the past 50 odd years. But today its nicknames, alignment points, protective watch film, AD relationship building spending, investment ££$$$€€€€ stuff, special cleaning cloths, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys that now takes priority on forum over any Rolex/Tudor knowledge.
Your interventions are breaths of fresh air. Thanks, reading you is essential ... necessary
Old 2 January 2022, 06:13 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry62 View Post
Your interventions are breaths of fresh air. Thanks, reading you is essential ... necessary
Thanks much appreciated.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 January 2022, 06:19 AM   #16
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Most all dive watches bought today will never see water other perhaps a shower, swim in the sea, or dip in the pool, and the max depth ratings on many of these watches will never be used by man or superman in water.The HEV is just a one way valve fully automatic on all the Rolex dive range it's only used for saturation divers who work underwater and reside at depth in dry chambers at the same outside water pressure.The gas they breath mainly now a high helium content the gas particles are that small they can pass thought the watch crystal seals etc.And when the divers are being re-compressed to normal atmosphere pressure, any gas thats in the watches escapes through the HEV valve as they return to normal surface pressure. Otherwise the gas would expand with the rise to normal atmospheric pressure, and the weakest point the crystal would most probably explode.A normal scuba diver would have no need to use the HEV on any watch.Think of it this way take a balloon down to 10m under water. That's 2 atmospheres one water pressure one surface air pressure.Now fill that balloon with air at that pressure of 2 atmospheres.Now because the compressed air is now under-pressure and quite dense. You can fill it but the amount of air breathing gas content would be twice as much as normal above water on the surface.Now release that balloon and let it go back to the surface because of the return to one atmosphere surface pressure balloon would expand and burst simply because there was twice as much air in it at surface pressure.
Thank you for that clear explanation. Very informative as always.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 07:11 AM   #17
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
If the helium particles they can pass through the crystal, seal etc. to get in, why can’t they get out the same way?

Presumably this is because of the differences in the time the watch is subject to the different pressures? Typically do divers stay in the high pressure / helium concentration environment for a lot longer than the time needed for safe decompression? Does it take longer for the helium to get in than it does to decompress?

You can, no doubt, tell that my diving experience is non existent!

Thanks in advance.
Your assumption is basically correct.
The exposure time in the Helium environment is many times longer than the duration of decompression.
It gets in slowly, but can't get out quick enough without the valve facilitating it thus preventing the Crystal from popping off.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 07:54 AM   #18
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks Padi - enjoy reading about the pioneering Rolex and other watch brands supported through their R&D!

I tried on a DSSD for the first time just yesterday, it’s heft instills a fair bit of confidence!
Ω Speedy Pro Moon Phase 3575.20
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 08:08 AM   #19
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
Quote:
Thanks much appreciated.
I have a JC
Thanks mate for the informative explanation.

tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 07:51 PM   #20
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The exposure time in the Helium environment is many times longer than the duration of decompression.
It gets in slowly, but can't get out quick enough without the valve facilitating it thus preventing the Crystal from popping off.
Thanks.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 08:12 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Quite true it all depends on how long the divers have been working at the water pressure depth, it could take a week or longer before they are very slowly returned to normal surface pressure in the sealed pressurised living quarters chamber.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 January 2022, 11:52 AM   #22
superlativechrono
"TRF" Member

Great responses and discussion folks - thanks!
superlativechrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 01:33 PM   #23
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
Such great stuff. Thank you as always, Padi.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 02:00 PM   #24
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
And who knows if the valve is designed to just let helium out or to better equalize the air pressure. Basically "burping" the watch. Rolexes are designed around positive pressure gradients (water pushing from the outside) not negative pressure gradients (air pushing from the inside). A saturation diver might be operating at anything from 5 times normal atmospheric pressure (~ 160 ft/50 meters) to a LOT more. Some of the older COMEX divers were working at 50+ atm.

Rolexes are basically 1 atm submersible's.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 02:09 PM   #25
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Whilst on the subject of saturation diving, have you seen the following documentary on Netflix. An absolute must watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Breath_(2019_film)
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 03:43 PM   #26
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDweller50 View Post
Whilst on the subject of saturation diving, have you seen the following documentary on Netflix. An absolute must watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Breath_(2019_film)

Great documentary.

The scene of Dave hauling a “thing” that needed to be taken from one place to another was awe inducing.

I cannot begin to comprehend the tremendous effort and strength needed to do what that man did. Mobility in a dry suit alone is severely impaired, that compounded by water pressure, weight of gear... unreal.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 10:20 PM   #27
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Check the following video out to get an idea of the mechanics in theoretical action:
https://youtu.be/SPvtXaI7dYQ

and the following article:
https://millenarywatches.com/rolex-helium-escape-valve/
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
126600 , 126660 , deepsea , sea dweller