The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 January 2022, 08:00 AM   #1
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

“Rolex Explorer 41mm”

folks,

I have heard some people saying that it is just a matter of time until Rolex introduces a 41mm version of the Explorer and wanted to share some info contradicting that theory:

1. I bet that the 39mm version was not a good seller, otherwise Rolex would never change its size (especially not downsizing- too big of a risk and let's face it, Rolex wants to sell watches).

2. 39mm was pretty much the maxed out size already for this type of a watch, and even a Datejust “41” doesn't actually measure 41 but closer to 39. So introducing a 41mm would mean 39.5-ish which they already produced... So if the intention is to bring it back, why not just offering both sizes?

3. I think that people who purchase an Explorer are kind of the more enthusiasts and not the normal people who just want the blingy or more known models such as GMT and Subs, so they tend to be purists who want the 36mm original size. For those who don't really care about that can go the AK route, which is really similar to an EXP with some more color.

Just my two cents, you might think differently which is absolutely fine!

Thanks
Daniel23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 08:06 AM   #2
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

41 mm would likely look out of proportion.
Old 5 January 2022, 08:07 AM   #3
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
It is certainly newsworthy that Rolex made the decision to reduce the size of the explorer when almost every other variant has gone in the opposite up-size direction.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Yas.2k
"TRF" Member

That would look wrong
Yas.2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 08:32 AM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Rolex, and the rest of the watch world, seem to be going in the other direction. Even Panerai, which is why I sport my 47 mm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 08:36 AM   #6
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
folks,

I have heard some people saying that it is just a matter of time until Rolex introduces a 41mm version of the Explorer and wanted to share some info contradicting that theory:

1. I bet that the 39mm version was not a good seller, otherwise Rolex would never change its size (especially not downsizing- too big of a risk and let's face it, Rolex wants to sell watches).

2. 39mm was pretty much the maxed out size already for this type of a watch, and even a Datejust “41” doesn't actually measure 41 but closer to 39. So introducing a 41mm would mean 39.5-ish which they already produced... So if the intention is to bring it back, why not just offering both sizes?

3. I think that people who purchase an Explorer are kind of the more enthusiasts and not the normal people who just want the blingy or more known models such as GMT and Subs, so they tend to be purists who want the 36mm original size. For those who don't really care about that can go the AK route, which is really similar to an EXP with some more color.

Just my two cents, you might think differently which is absolutely fine!

Thanks
I would prefer a new Explorer share the Explorer II case at 42mm ! Then Rolex would have a set of “his & hers” Explorers !

Old 5 January 2022, 08:37 AM   #7
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Initially it felt likely as potentially the explorer was just an OP36 with a crown, dial and hand swap.

But with it being out, and it having basically bespoke for the explorer everything bar the movement, there's no chance I think they'll spend any resources getting a big model out. Especially as the response to the explorer 36 has been so positive.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 12:08 PM   #8
Marco Panti
"TRF" Member

I think Rolex will do exactly as the OP mentioned.

The Explorer will follow the DateJust to nominal 36mm (really 35mm) and 41mm (closer to 40mm) sizes.

The success of the 36mm only increases the likelihood of the larger size, not decreases it.

Rolex, aided by the press and fans, gave exclusive exposure to the new 36mm model. Many women have been interested in this piece, along with smaller sized men and enthusiasts who see the small size as authentic to the original heritage piece.

Once Rolex are satisfied the 36mm has been established in the market, they can expand the Explorer market again for those who prefer/need the larger size. Nobody loses at all and Rolex wins again.

Therefore I think they will announce a new larger Explorer this year.

Marco
Marco Panti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 01:00 PM   #9
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Panti View Post
I think Rolex will do exactly as the OP mentioned.

The Explorer will follow the DateJust to nominal 36mm (really 35mm) and 41mm (closer to 40mm) sizes.

The success of the 36mm only increases the likelihood of the larger size, not decreases it.

Rolex, aided by the press and fans, gave exclusive exposure to the new 36mm model. Many women have been interested in this piece, along with smaller sized men and enthusiasts who see the small size as authentic to the original heritage piece.

Once Rolex are satisfied the 36mm has been established in the market, they can expand the Explorer market again for those who prefer/need the larger size. Nobody loses at all and Rolex wins again.

Therefore I think they will announce a new larger Explorer this year.

Marco
It is logical. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 01:21 PM   #10
dannyp
Banned

I think that the Explorer will remain 36, and 36-only, for the foreseeable future. Yacht Master aside, Rolex simply does not produce Professional models in multiple sizes at once.

While my prediction has been that the Air King also downsizes and returns as a light-dialed version of the Explorer, the alternative is that the AK comes back in the OP41 case with a more subdued dial than the current model, and is basically the same as a 41mm Explorer. Makes some sense as pilot watches often have a larger footprint.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 02:15 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
41 mm would likely look out of proportion.
Depends how it's put together - dial layout, hand size, bracelet size, etc. The Tudor Heritage Ranger is 41mm and looks fine. Though I'd probably take the Ranger over a 41mm Explorer anyway.
Old 5 January 2022, 02:18 PM   #12
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Depends how it's put together - dial layout, hand size, bracelet size, etc. The Tudor Heritage Ranger is 41mm and looks fine. Though I'd probably take the Ranger over a 41mm Explorer anyway.
Just my opinion, but the 16570 has great proportions on the dial, once that went to 41mm it just looked a bit off. I expect they'ld do the same blowin the Exp1 up as well is all.
Old 5 January 2022, 07:22 PM   #13
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

I think that people got used to thinking that one watch should fit every man. 36mm is for women, and 40+ is for real men... In practice it is more complicated than that. My dad and I are sharing the same wrist size, the 36mm EXP looks great on me and is the only watch I have ever gotten a compliment on. But on him a lot looks weird and out of place. My Sea dweller looks great on him, and while it doesn't look bad on me, the EXP looks much, much better. People think that a watch should fill up the whole wrist area, and if it doesn't, it is girly. It all depends and varies from case to case.
Daniel23456 is offline   Reply With Quote