The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 January 2022, 03:55 AM   #31
dannyp
Banned

Also worth noting: Ford isn’t asking for this, it’s giving dealers language to use to ask for it. Sort of like talking with one hand and then (sort of) giving with the other.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 04:04 AM   #32
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Exactly. Ford has to worry about how this impacts its reputation as a seller of $25,000 cars to “regular” people. Rolex doesn’t have that issue.
$25,000 cars?? I miss those days

"Regular people" (I know what you mean) aren't affected by massive ADM and reservation slot sales, nor are the even cognizant of it's practice.

I think it affects many "non regular people", who are so pissed that they feel played and disfranchised in trying to spend 80k for a vehicle that when it's time to buy their loaded Expedition Limited, Shelby Mustang, or Powerstroke Platinum to tow their boat, they tell Ford to Eff off and head to the GMC dealer to buy a Denali.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 04:12 AM   #33
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
car is a necessity, not like rolex which is a luxury item.
Automobiles are not a necessity, nor is it a right but a privilege to drive.
2loaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 04:51 AM   #34
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
$25,000 cars?? I miss those days

"Regular people" (I know what you mean) aren't affected by massive ADM and reservation slot sales, nor are the even cognizant of it's practice.

I think it affects many "non regular people", who are so pissed that they feel played and disfranchised in trying to spend 80k for a vehicle that when it's time to buy their loaded Expedition Limited, Shelby Mustang, or Powerstroke Platinum to tow their boat, they tell Ford to Eff off and head to the GMC dealer to buy a Denali.
I think the fact that it all is associated with the Ford brand is of concern, especially the dealer practices. Ford doesn’t want people to think its dealers are shady, otherwise they’ll go to Toyota, Chevy or Hyundai.
Old 9 January 2022, 05:06 AM   #35
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
That’s simply not true I’m today’s world. Many people can’t do their jobs with public transportation alone.

Driving “privileges” are a different matter, as it is one of public safety.
Old 9 January 2022, 05:13 AM   #36
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Its a screen shot Harry
I guess that explains the lack of branding. Or anything else that supports its authenticity. Even the .ico graphic is generic. Stealthy.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 05:16 AM   #37
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

This isn’t enforceable. Even if an AD found out you flipped (which is also very difficult), they aren’t going to waste time and money suing you.

If Rolex was more serious about this they could pursue a variety of measures:
-policy of 1 purchase every 6 months or 12 months
-requesting ID and address and inputting it into a global centralized directory
-increase MSRP more aggressively
-produce more watches

Fact of matter is current state of affairs benefits them and outweighs the risks of alienating customers. I imagine part of their calculus is that blunting demand could hurt sales if this current hysteria proves to be a fad. I also don’t buy the Rolex argument they can’t produce more without hurting quality. Every successful business has to grapple with this issue. It’s a matter of investing more in facilities and hiring more watchmakers. Can’t find enough watchmakers? Hire and then train them.

There are a lot of solutions out there but the inaction strongly suggests to me Rolex enjoys the status quo. Who is to blame them when they have one-quarter market share.
buffetwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 05:22 AM   #38
N&M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712+RO+3 Daytona
Quote:
Check out the "No Sale Provision" in the memo Ford just sent out regarding their new EV pickup. I find this fascinating. I don't know how in the world this could be close to legally enforceable, but at least Ford is trying to do something before things get ridiculous.

Thoughts? This approach could shake things up in the watch world.
It's much better than groveling trying to build a relationship with an AD.
N&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 05:34 AM   #39
LouG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
.....The best bet for Rolex is to instruct the ADs to hold the warranty cards for a year or two.
I find this interesting. If Rolex were to hold onto the warranty card for a period of time post-purchase, would it reduce the market value? I honestly don't know how much a grey-market buyer values the warrantly. Similarly, if Ford were to merely state that their 3/36 factory is not transferrable, would that affect the secondary market ?

I for one would never spend money on a new vehicle without a factory warranty. Ford could simply let buyers do what they want with their newly purchased vehicle, yet state the factory warranty is not transferrable for a certain period of time.
LouG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 05:37 AM   #40
Unframed
"TRF" Member

Ford did this with the most recent incarnation of the GT. John Cena tried to flip his GT anyway and it didn’t work out in his favor. He had to settle with Ford and pay an unspecified amount, which was in turn donated to charity.
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 05:37 AM   #41
waterking

Watch: Yachtmaster II
Most Ferrari dealers(franchised)do this. Since a lot of folks on this forum seem to have a problem with grey dealers I assume that those same folks would love to see Rolex do this.
waterking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 05:40 AM   #42
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
This exactly. Where is the problem if you are Rolex?
Same reason that Ford cares. It is not good for your brand for your dealers to be charging over sticker, or suggesting that customers buy a bunch of unrelated goods to buy your products, or for your dealers to tell customers they have noting available while they are selling out the back door to grey market dealers.

Look at the posts about ADs losing their Rolex franchise, and Rolex pushing branded boutiques. These are all attempts to exhibit greater control over the delivery to end customers.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 06:37 AM   #43
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
If you thought Ford vehicles had fires BEFORE . . . . .

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 09:08 AM   #44
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post

dumb
Old 9 January 2022, 10:48 AM   #45
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
If Rolex wanted this to end they wouldn’t have done exactly the opposite. I am referring to the previous warranty cards that had the compulsory buyers name and date either printed or with indelible ink. While a minor historical measure, it at least indicated key details to hinder flipping and flippers. Eradicating this at the height of the current situation is a clear message that not only is flipping unimportant but the move to the current anonymous card could be construed as a tacit approval of the practice.

The above is a clear sign to me that the last hurdles had to be removed, so they were.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 12:50 PM   #46
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Maybe I can sell my spot on the list for a premium.

Sent from my balloon knot
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 01:09 AM   #47
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
If you don’t like it just don’t buy it. There are plenty of other car/watch makers.

Old 10 January 2022, 01:24 AM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I guess that explains the lack of branding. Or anything else that supports its authenticity. Even the .ico graphic is generic. Stealthy.
Kind of where my mind goes as well
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 01:30 AM   #49
telesquire
Banned

A digital warranty card/registration of ownership system might help Rolex with this 'problem'
I think Rolex aren't happy with the situation and that is why you see AD's losing their status.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 01:42 AM   #50
JasH
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Check out the "No Sale Provision" in the memo Ford just sent out regarding their new EV pickup. I find this fascinating. I don't know how in the world this could be close to legally enforceable, but at least Ford is trying to do something before things get ridiculous.

Thoughts? This approach could shake things up in the watch world.
It's nothing new. Ford did the same with the new GT40, and even took a seller to court.
JasH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:02 AM   #51
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Would LOVE if Rolex did this. 85% of instagram buyers (and sadly a majority of our members since 2019) would go away and we can go back to enjoying watches. Sadly the buzz is free marketing for them. They love it.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 04:10 AM   #52
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Except a Rolex doesn't get registered with a new owner when the previous owner sells it, so there would be no way for them to know if you flipped it.
Identifying serial flippers is easy…watches are not consumables, so just stop supplying ‘hot’ models to people wanting to buy multiple watches a year

ADs could refuse to supply more than of any specific model, or, say, more than 2 watches a year of any model. It’s not as if ADs are short of buyers and need to court buyers.
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 09:49 AM   #53
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Same reason that Ford cares. It is not good for your brand for your dealers to be charging over sticker, or suggesting that customers buy a bunch of unrelated goods to buy your products, or for your dealers to tell customers they have noting available while they are selling out the back door to grey market dealers.

Look at the posts about ADs losing their Rolex franchise, and Rolex pushing branded boutiques. These are all attempts to exhibit greater control over the delivery to end customers.

Rolex is moving up market and exclusive, that’s why smaller ADs in less premium are area getting removed.

Rolex don’t own the boutiques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:10 AM   #54
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
Rolex is moving up market and exclusive, that’s why smaller ADs in less premium are area getting removed.

Rolex don’t own the boutiques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford doesn't own the dealers either. There are things both can do to control the behavior of their dealers.
Old 10 January 2022, 10:39 AM   #55
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
A digital warranty card/registration of ownership system might help Rolex with this 'problem'
I think Rolex aren't happy with the situation and that is why you see AD's losing their status.
Not Happy with the situation?
Every single model they make is sold instantly
They can raise their prices 5%-10% a year and no one cares when RRP is still so far below market
They can starve smaller regional ADs out of the market allowing them to concentrate supply to larger and more affluent areas around the world
The higher margin pieces like TT and PM are now hotter than they ever have been

Yeah, I'd hate that situation too...
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 11:22 AM   #56
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Not Happy with the situation?
Every single model they make is sold instantly
They can raise their prices 5%-10% a year and no one cares when RRP is still so far below market
They can starve smaller regional ADs out of the market allowing them to concentrate supply to larger and more affluent areas around the world
The higher margin pieces like TT and PM are now hotter than they ever have been

Yeah, I'd hate that situation too...

Would you like it if you invested tons of money/energy to develop a product and build a brand, and some flippers made 5-6x more profit on your own products than you did?

Rolex always sold all the watches they made, so the current situation does not benefit them one bit vs the situation 5 or 10 years ago.

Rolex does not need to starve any ADs out...their contract with dealers allows them to unilaterally terminate the contract with 60 days notice.

The current situation is damaging the Rolex brand...something they care about more than anything else. They are a very secretive organization, but we are starting to see the removal of dealers become quite common - perhaps they are quietly trying to take control of the situation.
Old 10 January 2022, 01:47 PM   #57
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
Real collectors sell their new watches when they get tired of them...
I don't consider that to be collecting, much less "real" collecting.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:05 PM   #58
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post

Real collectors sell their new watches when they get tired of them,
This sounds exactly like the opposite of collecting.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote