The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 March 2022, 06:44 PM   #31
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Possibly the first Submariner designed on a computer rather than a drawing board? If so, maybe that's why it looks a bit cold.

Maybe a cult classic one day, but I doubt many will look back and wonder why Rolex didn't make more.
Old 14 March 2022, 06:51 PM   #32
EvelynWaugh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
True. The sharp edges are easy to put big dings in - ask me how I know...

In the end it's a Sub. Of course it will be a classic.
How do you know? RIP
EvelynWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 08:25 PM   #33
bluetrain
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Some very interesting comments for sure. I get a little deja vu from when the 11 series was new back in the day.

Some purists against the design, some for. So maybe it will not be so generally appreciated as other iterations but at the same time, have we considered the supply and demand equation because relatively short production run?

Someone said that you can get the 11 series for "bargain prices" but where is that? From what I can see they have increased about the same % in the recent years as other subs. You would perhaps think that last years 16610 would increase more but I haven´t seen that.
bluetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 09:58 PM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
All Subs are classics. 50 years from now vintage collectors will have a nickname for it, like Fat Boy or something (like the Fat Lady GMT).

That’s what I call mine lol

She thicc tho lol
Old 15 March 2022, 03:59 AM   #35
effovex
"TRF" Member

I actually don’t mind the maxi case of the 11 series, it’s the short hands that really put me off. If the 11 series sub had longer hands that actually bite the minute marks (like the 4, 5 digit and new 12 series) I think I would pick one up rather than the current 12 series sub.

As far as collectibility, value? I think all subs will be collectable, granted the 11 series will not be the most coveted.
effovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 04:00 AM   #36
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
All subs are classic. That will not change.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 04:09 AM   #37
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just to add, these old Submariners had a wider lug to bracelet proportions/design as the 116610. I don’t think anyone refers to them with “hate” or that they are mistakes, fat, computer drawn or cold.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 04:11 AM   #38
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Currently have 114060 and have owned it since 2016. No regrets whatsoever. 99.99% of the people will be unable to tell a 5 digit sub, from a 11 series from a 12 series. The differences are only known to people who use these forums or work in the watch industry.

11 series brought the ceramic bezel to the Sub line and the strong reliable movement. Some (the small amount of people who actually notice or care) would say the 11 series looks more masculine while the 5 digits and 12 series looks smoother. Honestly, neither is a bad thing.

Like all Subs, the 11 series will be just fine in the future and in the real world.
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 04:31 AM   #39
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
To be quite honest, every Rolex is a classic.

(My humble opinion)

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 05:01 AM   #40
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB40-DJ36-YM40
In 12 series lug looks fantastic but 11 series looks like real tool and for every day use after 2 -3 service and polishing 11 will be like 12 and 12 will be like soap.
mike morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 05:08 AM   #41
noshame
"TRF" Member

I don't know if the 11 series will ever be regarded as a classic, but I do think the Fat Boy will always be seen as the Sub that made the biggest changes from its previous generation with the addition of glidelock, ceramic bezel, super case, and maxi dial.

Personally, I love mine and also like the fact that it wears ever so slightly bigger than my 12xxxx GMT. Just another subtle differentiation between 2 similar watches (similar to a non-WIS). Sorry, I had to include that before someone lectures me on how completely different a Sub and GMT are!
Old 15 March 2022, 06:53 AM   #42
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
If SS Rolex watches maintain their "Rare" status in the future, all subs, including the 116610ln, will be considered "Classics"!
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 07:32 AM   #43
majidessa
"TRF" Member

All Subs are special and unique, if all releases were to share the same aesthetics this would have been a very dull hobby!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 07:47 AM   #44
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I don’t see it. Not with that case shape. I think this period will be the equivalent of 70s and 80s guitars if anyone knows what I mean.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 07:50 AM   #45
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Comparable to Gibson’s Norlin era guitars.
Ha! I only just saw this. I had the same reference in my head when I mentioned guitars. Dan Smith era Strats!
Or the most recent BMWs….yikes.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 08:34 AM   #46
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrain View Post

A step in the wrong direction that Rolex corrected with the new model
Yes, it will never be a classic, IMO.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 09:10 AM   #47
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I know it's what we WIS do, but I honestly think there's a bit too much over-thinking going on here.

At the end of the day (like it or not) every single Submariner iteration becomes a classic in its own right, simply because every single one is a step on the road of the Submariner's history. Let's not forget the 11 series had a twelve year run, from 2008 to 2020, during which time hundreds of thousands were sold. It was, and still is, an extremely popular model with many, and even though some don't like the Supercase, it's hardly the most polarising watch design in the world.

I think the 11 may end up looking "of its era", but then so does a 6538. And "vintage appeal" never goes out of fashion.

Personally I love something about all the versions made to date, but I think the 11 series is the greatest iteration of the Submariner ever made.... and I own both a 116610LN and a 14060M.
Old 15 March 2022, 09:25 AM   #48
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

It’s part of evolution from submariner that collectors won’t love but won’t ignore. When submariner first introduced big crown, purists prob hated it too think sub was off balanced. When crown guard were introduced, purists prob hated it. Purists always hate on any changes but the end still accept the evolution for what it is and collector will just buy “everything” even with hate cuz their collection can’t be incomplete without it.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 09:38 AM   #49
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
All Subs are classics. 50 years from now vintage collectors will have a nickname for it, like Fat Boy or something (like the Fat Lady GMT).
I agree 100% Dave. I know you’ve owned a few, as have I … they’re all great in their own way
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 12:11 PM   #50
cbellamore
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
It’s part of evolution from submariner that collectors won’t love but won’t ignore. When submariner first introduced big crown, purists prob hated it too think sub was off balanced. When crown guard were introduced, purists prob hated it. Purists always hate on any changes but the end still accept the evolution for what it is and collector will just buy “everything” even with hate cuz their collection can’t be incomplete without it.
this right here !!

honestly ive owned a few older subs and i was just in the market for a new everyday watch
i wanted something with solid end links and i wasnt sure about the maxi case at first until i saw it on my wrist
i like the look of the bigger case

i was very very close to buying a 2000 and newer pre ceramic sub
but i ended up getting an 116610LN because of the glide lock clasp and the movement

i also own a 2021 deep sea and i love that version of the glide lock clasp on that model also

i think a lot of people might have the same thoughts as i do

i can really appreciate the vintage pieces
but i feel more comfortable with an updated watch as my daily wear watch
i think the 116610LN will have its place in the desirable lineup of rolexs as time goes on
cbellamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 01:43 PM   #51
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
Actually it was requested by many, many users. The first 6205 and 6204 subs had a tiny 5.3mm crown used by the Turn-o-graph which was the basis for the first subs. It was too hard to use. The 6200 first introduced the 8mm big crown, which was much easier to wind in all applications, especially when wearing diving gloves.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 06:23 PM   #52
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
I mean Hulk is coming from there, no mistake in this watch, to me 41mm is too big and the clasp is horrendous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 07:40 PM   #53
DeVille
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K 4 LIFE
It's the Khloe Kardashian of the Submariner lineage. Y'know... the one that doesn't look quite as good as the others
DeVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 08:24 PM   #54
PalmTreeVIP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrain View Post
I was thinking a little bit about the submariner iterations and how they have evolved. How history will judge the 116610ln now that it is not longer produced and somewhere down the line it will be judged by history.

I would argue that the "classic case", ie 5512/5513, 16610 etc always have had a somewhat feminine touch (and it´s not a bad thing at all!) with its petite lugs and overall form factor.

The new 126610LN, even if somewhat larger, seems to go back to the old formula with smaller lugs as well. I have yet to see it live but reviews seems really positive and for sure it looks nice on pictures!

So the question is where it will leave the 116610ln (and of course the LV) over time, with it´s more blocky design and as it seems, a one time occurance for Rolex?

A step in the wrong direction that Rolex corrected with the new model or will it be appreciated for being different?
"Normal" people can't tell the difference from a foot away, and as someone who has both the 11 and 12 series sub I can honestly say I love them both. I think the 11 has a chunky, masculine look and love it. The 12 series has a very big clasp that I think Rolex will reduce in years to come.
PalmTreeVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 08:51 PM   #55
bluetrain
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeVIP View Post
"Normal" people can't tell the difference from a foot away, and as someone who has both the 11 and 12 series sub I can honestly say I love them both. I think the 11 has a chunky, masculine look and love it. The 12 series has a very big clasp that I think Rolex will reduce in years to come.
I guess it is pretty popular by folks in general and may continue that way for a while, how could you otherwise explain the price increase in the last years? And as you say the differences are to be honest pretty subtle and probably only noticeable for submariner nerds. But then again I was not interested in what the general public has to say but the experts and purists. More interesting that way. (:

Maybe it will be remembered as the ugly duckling (by purists) but I also guess some people will acknowledge it for the more tooliness feel that is deeply engraved in the submariner dna.
bluetrain is offline   Reply With Quote