The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 June 2009, 03:00 AM   #1
plat-numb

yachtmaster link adjustment

So I just got a platinum/SS YM.

And its about a link too long.

So should I remove the link AND adjust the band??? I've read differing oppinions, and while I realize that everyone has a different feel for whats the best route to take... I figured I would ask!

My question is, what is the easiest way to adjust this bracelet? Are there any tutorials out there on it?

My best friend and buisness partner recently aquired ALOT of nice watches and a watch store to go with them here in Knoxville TN. and while we may have Rolex, Omega, Oris, Girard Perregaux, Patek Philippe etc. etc. etc.

The one thing we dont have yet? A watch tech.

And your saying to yourself... what are these idiots doing owning a watch store with no watch technician??? Give it time, the ink on the paperwork is still drying! LOL!

Anywho my name is Ken, long time reader... first time poster. Thanks in advance for any help. In the near future I will post some of our inventory for anyone who may be interested.

The watch shop is well established in our little town. And of course all of our watches are real and have full documentation.
plat-numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 03:22 AM   #2
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
I would remove a link and see if it's comfortable. If it's still a bit loose, then adjust one or two pin slots on the clasp.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 03:49 AM   #3
plat-numb

Thanks Greg, thats what I was thinking as well. When I move the link to the side and rest the next one on the clasp it looks like that will be perfect.

So now I guess I'm more needing a tutorial on HOW to remove the links.

Another friend of mine told me you undo the screw on the one side of the small links near the clasp then there is a pin inside the link that pushes through... is that all there is to it???

I thought I would ask the proffesional opinion of the TRF before performing surgery on my brand new watch!

Yet another friends girlfriend says she can do it for me... but if anyone is gonna scratch this 8k hunk of exquisite metal... I'd rather it be me!
Old 5 June 2009, 11:19 AM   #4
plat-numb

Sorry to bump...

Is this something that I shouldn't attempt on my own?

I really think I just need one of the smaller non-permanent links removed, but the more I try to research the subject I see mention of special tools etc. not to mention I haven't found anything on my exact bracelet.

Old 5 June 2009, 11:36 AM   #5
gregdolley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat-numb View Post
Sorry to bump...

Is this something that I shouldn't attempt on my own?

I really think I just need one of the smaller non-permanent links removed, but the more I try to research the subject I see mention of special tools etc. not to mention I haven't found anything on my exact model.

It's really easy if you have the model with the screw links instead of the old pin links. If you look at one side of a removable link, do you see a slotted screw? If so, just unscrew the link which you want removed, put it away, and take one of the remaining screws and use it to screw the two separated links back together. Viola! That's it, you're done! Now just put away the extra screw with the extra link - preferably some place you won't forget about if you need to sell the watch.

If you have the older pins holding the links together, then I'm not sure since I have no experience with those older Rolex models. But if they're the same as 90% percent of modern watch link pins, then you simply push them out in the direction indicated by a little engraved arrow on the inside of the bracelet.
Old 5 June 2009, 11:59 AM   #6
plat-numb

That's what I needed to hear Greg!

Yes, It is an 08 model. And has the screws on the small movable links.

I've had it one day and I'm just giddy as a school girl! (thus my incessant posting here today!)

I figured that's all it was... I just don't like going into something like this, without being REALLY sure!

Thanks again brother!

Ken
Old 5 June 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
cuco
"TRF" Member

I'm a complete klutz and it took me 2 minutes to resize my bracelet, go for it!!!

Cuco
cuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Imtiaz
Banned

Watch: Daytona, Sub, DS,
Yes, all you need is a tiny flat head screw driver. Available in a set of 5 or 6 in any handyman store.

The screws are kept in place with some compound and it takes a bit of force to first break the seal. When you take the tiny screw out, you can see the white stuff on the threads.
Imtiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 05:05 AM   #9
plat-numb

So... should I not replace the compound to lock it back once done?

I bet we have something like it at the shop.
Old 6 June 2009, 04:38 PM   #10
gregdolley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat-numb View Post
So... should I not replace the compound to lock it back once done?

I bet we have something like it at the shop.
Not absolutely necessary, but highly recommended. I use Loctite 222MS (any of the removable grades will work) - one of my screws was constantly getting loose near the clasp, but Loctite solved that problem real fast. It hasn't been loose since.
Old 8 June 2009, 06:22 AM   #11
plat-numb

Well I just ended up moving the pin on the clasp from one end to the other (making sure the edge met up in between 2 links). I will still probably have the link removed one day, But I was too chicken to do it myself!

Whats sad is, the pin shot out across the room. (I knew it would) Took me forever to find the lil sucker!

Anywho, I REALLY appreciate the warm welcome and advice from you guys. I'm sure you snicker at my noobishness on your side of the PC, but ya didn't make fun of me in public... and thats what counts!!!

To the TRF!