The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 April 2022, 08:14 AM   #31
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

I think there are a lot of Youtube videos about GO vs. Lange. I actually like GO a lot, but their PML (40mm/12.8mm thick) is a bit chunky relative to the Lange 1 MP (38.5mm/10.2mm thick). Since I have thin wrists, this was a key factor. Other was the additional complications (PR/day night dial) with an overall dial that seemed better laid out to me than the PML. Can't go wrong with either...
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 10:12 AM   #32
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
I’ve got the GO PML silver dial and it is a great watch. I love the colour and layout and would highly recommend.

That said, given your collection and thread title of mid to high end, Lange is what I would go for in your position. And what I would have done if I had the funds when I bought the GO. I prefer the 1 over the Saxonia, but that’s splitting hairs.

Plenty of great options though, so enjoy!

Thanks for your reply, yes I can afford to go with either, I’m yet to hold either in hand but the size of the GO sounds as though it would be a better fit for me.

Based on your comment though I dont want to buy a G.O and it be a stepping stone so to speak to eventually move to a Lange anyway and although I have no experience with either and I love the watch you own, sounds like you think the Lange is a league above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I love the look of the saxonia moonphase but really not a fan of the auto movement - simply not up to Lange standards

Really? Is this a common consensus for the saxonia moon phase compared to the rest of Lange, amongst watch enthusiasts?
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 10:29 AM   #33
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Usual gripes concerning the current climate, and the contempt displayed by brands towards their customers.

The watch is fabulous, not that I wear it.

What happened my man??
Why not sell it then?
Sounds like a shame.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 02:20 PM   #34
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270g

Go after a Journe Lune. The new moon is amazing.
ChaseATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 04:59 PM   #35
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Thanks for your reply, yes I can afford to go with either, I’m yet to hold either in hand but the size of the GO sounds as though it would be a better fit for me.

Based on your comment though I dont want to buy a G.O and it be a stepping stone so to speak to eventually move to a Lange anyway and although I have no experience with either and I love the watch you own, sounds like you think the Lange is a league above.
The GO is a bit chunky but it’s not an issue at all. I have thinner and thicker watches and the GO gets most wrist time at the moment.

I’ve never held a Lange but am absolutely mesmerised by the pics of their movements and the milky way on their moonphases. Their attention to detail seems astonishing and there is no question I’d have gone that way if I could have, so in that regard I think the GO is potentially a stepping stone but one that I am very happy to own.
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 05:22 PM   #36
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Just to come back to my point on the movement in the Saxonia Moonphase - it is well documented that the rotor is not solid gold but plated and it does not have any gold chatons, one of the hallmarks of Lange watches. There’s a pretty damning review on Langepedia as well. It’s not for nothing that prices of the watches with this auto movement have nog]t been going up in price like a lot of the other references. Still: a very very beautiful watch with a very nice movement, simply lacking slightly in the movement department in my view.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 08:38 PM   #37
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
The GO is a bit chunky but it’s not an issue at all. I have thinner and thicker watches and the GO gets most wrist time at the moment.

I’ve never held a Lange but am absolutely mesmerised by the pics of their movements and the milky way on their moonphases. Their attention to detail seems astonishing and there is no question I’d have gone that way if I could have, so in that regard I think the GO is potentially a stepping stone but one that I am very happy to own.
At first glance I think I actually think the G.O you have looks better, I like the dial and I ask I like the date placement more then the Lange I think. I am only to have one dress watch on leather so I want to make the right choice and fit for me! I also like bigger watches I have fairly big arms 38/39mm on paper is a little small for me and I think the height may be an advantage also. Without trying these on it’s really difficult to make a decision.

Quote:
Just to come back to my point on the movement in the Saxonia Moonphase - it is well documented that the rotor is not solid gold but plated and it does not have any gold chatons, one of the hallmarks of Lange watches. There’s a pretty damning review on Langepedia as well. It’s not for nothing that prices of the watches with this auto movement have nog]t been going up in price like a lot of the other references. Still: a very very beautiful watch with a very nice movement, simply lacking slightly in the movement department in my view.
This is the kind of information I’m looking for Chet Thankyou, and a well summarised post. Which Lange model would you suggest in its place, moonphase or not?
Old 8 April 2022, 10:35 PM   #38
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
What happened my man??
Why not sell it then?
Sounds like a shame.
Not going to go into it, as I have in other threads, and life is too short.

I won't sell it as the watch was purchased to commemorate a momentous event. One day, hopefully soon, I will remember only that day, and forget the subsequent rudeness.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 01:24 AM   #39
7sins
"TRF" Member

Throw another idea out there for something a bit more unique:

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 02:44 AM   #40
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Throw another idea out there for something a bit more unique:

Dang that’s sick, Hermes bringing the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 04:01 AM   #41
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Skip straight from the moon to constellation complication
that is impressive !
Omega makes an insanely nice moonphase on the speedy in particular.
Also love ALS, GO moonphases
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 04:03 AM   #42
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Would you mind elaborating this is currently top of my list of brands in this department?
yes that piece is possibly my favorite !
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 06:03 AM   #43
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Usual gripes concerning the current climate, and the contempt displayed by brands towards their customers.

The watch is fabulous, not that I wear it.

“Contempt displayed by brands towards their customers”
Oh, I just learned this lesson today and it smarts!
I saw a release from W&W, called an AD I have a relationship with. Put an order in, paid the requested deposit, 2 emails assuring me of the watch. Then a note today saying the manufacturer must approve me “as worthy” I suppose before I will be notified of my acceptance. 2 months for the decision.
Now that’s the definition of elitism. And from a publicly traded company. Discrimination at its finest!
So @mongrelnomoad, I understand without any details needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 08:02 AM   #44
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Never seen one in person but I belive the Arnold & Son Luna Magma won a gphg award if I'm not mistaken

IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 08:04 AM   #45
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Another vote for JLC (I'm biased). Finishing in Duometre line on-par with the other top makers.

IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
Old 9 April 2022, 08:07 AM   #46
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At first glance I think I actually think the G.O you have looks better, I like the dial and I ask I like the date placement more then the Lange I think. I am only to have one dress watch on leather so I want to make the right choice and fit for me! I also like bigger watches I have fairly big arms 38/39mm on paper is a little small for me and I think the height may be an advantage also. Without trying these on it’s really difficult to make a decision.
Well I’m sure you won’t be disappointed by the GO in any way if you went for it. It’s a lot of watch for the money, especially compared to Lange prices.

Worth mentioning that there is the Grand Lange 1 which is 41mm and just under 10mm thick.
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 08:22 AM   #47
Donkos
Banned

Watch: Rolex Hulk
+1
Donkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 08:54 AM   #48
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really? Is this a common consensus for the saxonia moon phase compared to the rest of Lange, amongst watch enthusiasts?
GO vs Lange is like JLC vs Patek. Both are very good in their respective tier, but they are not in the same world. The Panodate or whatever they are called are the nicer end of GO, and on the face of it, have some engraving and anglage, but side by side, looking at a Lange after looking at a GO is a bit like moving to HD TV. Everything is just crisper, finder and that small but significant tad better executed. You cannot really cross shop them. The Lange also costs double or triple what the GO goes for.

Based on your size requirements, I would forego the moon phase and look at a Grand Lange 1 though. There is a RG with slate grey dial that just came out, now that might be something for you. Otherwise, trying to get a Journe Lune is definitely something I would do as well.

As for the dial Layout of the Lange 1, there are very firmly determined reasons why things are where they are on that dial, whereas they are just where they happen to have fallen on the GO’s dial. Either is fine if that’s your aesthetic preference, but for me personally, I prefer the Lange’s approach of following an actual system.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 08:57 AM   #49
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Langepedia is the opinion of one person. I don't think that makes it authoritative. The movement is fine and performs well. Even Alp doesn't say the movement is trash, only that he feels it doesn't live up to Lange standards, which is kinda like saying a Ferrari F8 is not up to the standards of an 812GTB.

Yeah, you're right, but it's not meant to compete at that level.

If the OP is looking for a moonphase watch that isn't going to cost a house mortgage, the Saxonia Moonphase is an awesome and beautiful moonphase watch.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 11:54 AM   #50
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think if you plan to have only one dress watch, You would be happier with the top brand like PP or ALS.
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 12:11 PM   #51
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

This watch is high in my list. The platinum version is spectacular in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
Never seen one in person but I belive the Arnold & Son Luna Magma won a gphg award if I'm not mistaken

Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 05:19 PM   #52
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which Lange model would you suggest in its place, moonphase or not?
The Saxonia or 1815 Annual Calendar watches would be a great (but more expensive) alternative. The Saxonia has a nicer auto movement, the 1815 a manual wind. Outside Lange, you could look at Vacheron’s full calendar models in the fifty-six and traditionelle lines and I also like the Duometre suggested here. Does wear bigger than the other suggestions. There’s the Patek 5146 or, more expensive again, the 5205. And on the Lange - don’t get me wrong, it’s a terrific watch and fantastic value at the price, I just wanted to add the movement angle so you can take that into consideration when making your decision. I would certainly not blame you for eventually picking that over all others!
Old 9 April 2022, 05:24 PM   #53
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Langepedia is the opinion of one person. I don't think that makes it authoritative. The movement is fine and performs well. Even Alp doesn't say the movement is trash, only that he feels it doesn't live up to Lange standards, which is kinda like saying a Ferrari F8 is not up to the standards of an 812GTB.

Yeah, you're right, but it's not meant to compete at that level.

If the OP is looking for a moonphase watch that isn't going to cost a house mortgage, the Saxonia Moonphase is an awesome and beautiful moonphase watch.
Oh I agree. I do think there’s a number of voices in the collector community that have pointed out the newer auto movement as being not as nice as the older sax-o-mat. I also remember a lengthy discussion on Watchprosite. Doesnt make the Saxonia unworthy - not at all. Great watch at a great price point. Just thought to add that perspective for full transparency.
Old 9 April 2022, 06:00 PM   #54
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, for various reasons I'm not particularly happy with Lange. Nothing to do with the beauty or quality of my watch, though.

my gosh that thing is beautiful and the lighter color strap make the watch look just right, not too mature.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 05:07 AM   #55
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
GO vs Lange is like JLC vs Patek. Both are very good in their respective tier, but they are not in the same world.
Finishing on JLC is dependent on their model line, anything from Duometre, Master Grand Tradition and Hybris can go toe to toe with any other the other top maisons
Old 10 April 2022, 05:45 AM   #56
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Some great information for me here - and pictures (keep them coming)

Thanks everybody.

So I think based on Research and some of you guys help here, I am going to to for a Lange first and foremost or a PP if I can. Just have to find some to try on now!

This is new territory for me, this movement is amazing to look I think this was from the datograph model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 April 2022, 07:16 AM   #57
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
my gosh that thing is beautiful and the lighter color strap make the watch look just right, not too mature.
That watch is like sex on your wrist.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 08:49 PM   #58
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not going to go into it, as I have in other threads, and life is too short.

I won't sell it as the watch was purchased to commemorate a momentous event. One day, hopefully soon, I will remember only that day, and forget the subsequent rudeness.

Sorry to hear though I’d follow your advice to be sure…life is too short to be upset over a watch compared to your momentous event. Nothing should take that away, not even a salesperson or sense of injustice from a product you buy.
Old 11 April 2022, 09:26 PM   #59
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
Sorry to hear though I’d follow your advice to be sure…life is too short to be upset over a watch compared to your momentous event. Nothing should take that away, not even a salesperson or sense of injustice from a product you buy.
Wise words and a sentiment I only wish were easier to internalise. :)
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 05:54 AM   #60
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wise words and a sentiment I only wish were easier to internalise. :)

I know.
Keep smiling!!!!