The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 April 2022, 01:43 PM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Thoughts on the Chopard Alpine Eagle, and Chopard as a whole?

Having moved away from the VC Traditionnelle that I thought I wanted and dress watches in general, I'm now shifting my attention towards Chopard's elegant sports watch, the Alpine Eagle.

Like others, I initially thought that the Alpine Eagle was a Genta-esque copy and nothing more when it was first announced a couple years ago (who would buy such a thing?!). Well, as the world turns...

I've found myself gawking at a watch with an integrated bracelet that I can actually obtain, money or waitlists be damned. After having done more research, I find the history of the Alpine Eagle interesting (it's based off of Chopard's own St. Moritz from the 80's), love that it's made from a harder, shinier steel than other watches, and most importantly really like the look.

What are your thoughts on the watch and Chopard in general? From what I've seen thus far, owners of the Alpine Eagle seem to really love it, but I'm not finding too much on Chopard itself.

Some photos off the internet here, and I might drive up to Santa Clara / SF to check out the brand sooner rather than later:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (101.1 KB, 952 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (54.4 KB, 952 views)
Old 8 April 2022, 02:03 PM   #2
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Been looking at chopards recently. When I first saw the alpine eagle I poopooed it because it was yet another bandwagon watch. Still think it's a bandwagon watch but it is nicely done. Almost impulsively bought one. Wish it had the microrotor movement but can't have everything. Some of the other models like the new striking hour or hunter case back models look awesome. If I had FU money id totally get that salmon revolution tourbillon.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 03:09 PM   #3
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Been looking at chopards recently. When I first saw the alpine eagle I poopooed it because it was yet another bandwagon watch. Still think it's a bandwagon watch but it is nicely done. Almost impulsively bought one. Wish it had the microrotor movement but can't have everything. Some of the other models like the new striking hour or hunter case back models look awesome. If I had FU money id totally get that salmon revolution tourbillon.
The new 1860 Officer they just announced in RG with black dial got me. I was like "I need this"...and then I saw the price. At that level, I'm going VC or Lange.
Old 8 April 2022, 03:20 PM   #4
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

This is from a current and past owner of Nautilus, Aquanaut, Royal Oak, and Overseas. In my opinion, Chopard Alpine Eagle is the best finished watch, except the movement, in the tier 2 category of sports watches. I am looking at likes of Laureato, Polo S, and Sea Q. I have handled all 4 of them and own Alpine Eagle blue dial in 41mm size. In my humble opinion, there is no comparison as far as bracelet and dial finish is concerned. Alpine Eagle triumphs in my eyes. The only category where Laureato and Sea Q are better than Alpine Eagle is the movement finish. Chopard has three tiers of movement finish and Alpine Eagle has the third (lowest) category of the movement. However, I understand why Chopard cut the corners here. Putting a L.U.C movement would have pushed the price above $20k and I think Chopard doesn’t want to compete in that tier.

So for movement finish, Sea Q (larger size) and Laureato win. As an overall package, Alpine Eagle wins. That is my opinion only.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 03:26 PM   #5
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
This is from a current and past owner of Nautilus, Aquanaut, Royal Oak, and Overseas. In my opinion, Chopard Alpine Eagle is the best finished watch, except the movement, in the tier 2 category of sports watches. I am looking at likes of Laureato, Polo S, and Sea Q. I have handled all 4 of them and own Alpine Eagle blue dial in 41mm size. In my humble opinion, there is no comparison as far as bracelet and dial finish is concerned. Alpine Eagle triumphs in my eyes. The only category where Laureato and Sea Q are better than Alpine Eagle is the movement finish. Chopard has three tiers of movement finish and Alpine Eagle has the third (lowest) category of the movement. However, I understand why Chopard cut the corners here. Putting a L.U.C movement would have pushed the price above $20k and I think Chopard doesn’t want to compete in that tier.

So for movement finish, Sea Q (larger size) and Laureato win. As an overall package, Alpine Eagle wins. That is my opinion only.
Thank you!! Great to hear your feedback as an owner of this and the other integrated bracelet watches. Would you mind posting a few shots? Also, does the bracelet feel bulky, with the lack of a prominent bracelet taper?
Old 8 April 2022, 03:58 PM   #6
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Don’t have any pics stored in the phone. But you can get much better photos and wrist rolls by searching for Alpine Eagle on instagram.

No, the bracelet doesn’t feel heavy. I do wear my bracelets loose though, almost one finger width difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Thank you!! Great to hear your feedback as an owner of this and the other integrated bracelet watches. Would you mind posting a few shots? Also, does the bracelet feel bulky, with the lack of a prominent bracelet taper?
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 06:15 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

I like Chopard and if their modern L.U.C dress watches weren't mostly 40mm large I would long own one. I missed out on the first salmon Revolution co-branded Chopard which was just gorgeous and preceded the Tourbillon watch mentioned earlier in this thread.

As to the Alpine Eagle I am torn. I have warmed up to case and bracelet and the dial with the Romans plus 04:30 date makes sense as well. But I don't think I will ever be able to do a 04:30 date and I am also not planning to add a watch in the Alpine Eagles's tier. I have got an IWC Mark XV beater and a 5711 and the Alpine Eagle would fill a gap that I don't perceive as such.

FWIW the Czapek Antarctique is the inverse of the Alpine Eagle to me. Absolutely stunning movement but the rest doesn't scream "come get me".
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 07:04 PM   #8
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Jesse, the alpine eagle has been one of the most interesting dials I’ve seen in a while. I’m a fan
Old 8 April 2022, 08:02 PM   #9
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
FWIW the Czapek Antarctique is the inverse of the Alpine Eagle to me. Absolutely stunning movement but the rest doesn't scream "come get me".
Totally agree with you - beautiful movement on the Czapek, but the rest of the watch leaves me cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Jesse, the alpine eagle has been one of the most interesting dials I’ve seen in a while. I’m a fan
The beauty of the dial plays a big part for me - I don't have a blue-dialed watch at the moment and the texture/uniqueness definitely reminds me of GS.

I'm actually hoping to compare it to a few GS models when I visit the AD, should they have the Alpine Eagle in stock.
Old 8 April 2022, 09:08 PM   #10
smg8
Banned

Based on pictures alone (not seen in the flesh) I find the screws very odd looking (just my opinion, appreciate others obviously disagree). It's like they've looked at an AP/Hublot/Cartier Santos and thought "we REALLY want screws like them, how can we copy it without copying it" and landed on the idea of lumping them together in pairs rather than going the whole way around the bezel.

That combined with the very odd placement of date window has stopped me ever exploring this one further, so far.

The dial is very nice and perhaps it's one of those that works way better in person. Always liable to change mind/taste on these things!
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 09:48 PM   #11
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Not a fan. While the brand is still one of the rare independent, they skim where it matters. PM models have a SS déployant. Cheap guys.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 09:58 PM   #12
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Funny, I almost posted this exact question yesterday. I have been eyeballing this piece for a couple of months now, pics only haven’t actually handled one. I am very intrigued by the watch as a whole, the dial, the steel, overall presentation seem very nice. I don’t find a ton of info on he movement. What few articles I find invariably bring up the LUC series.

My issue that I can’t seem to shake is I have this weirdo feeling that this watch would be a consolation prize. I was hoping for, and even told by mfg rep that its coming, a new IWC Ingenieur. That didn’t happen. Apparently I’m not near cool enough to be considered for a RO, which is ultimately ok with me. The GP seems like it’s just trying too hard. Yet, I find myself hesitant with this piece.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 11:11 PM   #13
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Overall I like the concept of the watch. There are two aesthetic features that hold me back on this piece. First, the dial to bezel ratio. I'd prefer more dial and less bezel. The bezel almost has diver proportions. Second, I personally can't do 4:30 date complications with tilted date indicator, it irks my sense of symmetry. If it's a German dial layout like the Lange 1 or GO Panorama series, or the FPJ Octa, I'm good with it. Sadly this rules out a lot of otherwise great watches like the AP ROC and VC Overseas for me as well.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 12:29 AM   #14
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
My issue that I can’t seem to shake is I have this weirdo feeling that this watch would be a consolation prize.

Apparently I’m not near cool enough to be considered for a RO, which is ultimately ok with me. The GP seems like it’s just trying too hard. Yet, I find myself hesitant with this piece.
This was my initial thinking when it was first announced in 2019. "Isn't this just a Royal Oak lite?? I'd look like a poser if I got this".

A few things have changed that way of thinking:
1.) The watch is based on an old Chopard model from the 80's, the St. Moritz, so there's history there. Plus like Hodinkee said, all the watches from the 80's looked the same.
2.) It's not an MSRP issue - if I wanted the Royal Oak, I could afford to buy one at MSRP (I would never, ever buy one at the astronomical grey prices today). Problem is, the Royal Oak isn't for me, regardless of price. When I 1st went to buy the Hulk in 2017, I was actually thinking of going up to the RO but when I tried it on, it just didn't feel right on my wrist and knew that the high polish would get scratched more easily (I take care of my watches but don't baby them). The Nautilus is nice, sure, but I didn't find it as attractive before it hit the 5x price it is today. I sometimes find myself looking at the RO and Nautilus and think do I actually like the look of the watch or is it the high aftermarket price? With the Chopard, it's all looks.
3.) I like the price point (especially the grey market price) for this integrated, high polish but stronger steel model. It's an independent, they make their own movements, and the freaking steel is also proprietary and made in-house - with a beautiful and unique dial to boot. How cool is that at 11-13k? Sure, the movement isn't up to L.U.C. standards, but neither is the price.

At the end of the day, after much research and thought, I do ultimately feel that the watch stands on its own merits. I don't feel like I'm succumbing to 2nd place and do think it has a home in my collection as a "not trying to be something else but its own luxury sports watch" type of thing. It's funny, looking at my collection and where this fits makes me a tad giddy - I don't have anything like it and would actually take this over a Batman or a Pepsi right now. The internet folks can take their hype watches!

Only thing left is to actually see it in person! Hoping to do that in the next week.

Apologize for the long response but had to put my thoughts out there.
Old 9 April 2022, 12:29 AM   #15
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I used to have a chopard and loved it
Solid watch
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 12:52 AM   #16
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
This was my initial thinking when it was first announced in 2019. "Isn't this just a Royal Oak lite?? I'd look like a poser if I got this".

A few things have changed that way of thinking:
1.) The watch is based on an old Chopard model from the 80's, the St. Moritz, so there's history there. Plus like Hodinkee said, all the watches from the 80's looked the same.
2.) It's not an MSRP issue for - if I wanted the Royal Oak, I could afford to buy one at MSRP (I would never, ever buy one at the astronomical grey prices today). Problem is, the Royal Oak isn't for me, regardless of price. When I 1st went to buy the Hulk in 2017, I was actually thinking of going up to the RO but when I tried it on, it just didn't feel right on my wrist and knew that the high polish would get scratched more easily (I take care of my watches but don't baby them). The Nautilus is nice, sure, but I didn't find it as attractive before it hit the 5x price it is today. I sometimes find myself looking at the RO and Nautilus and think do I actually like the look of the watch or is it the high aftermarket price? With the Chopard, it's all looks.
3.) I like the price point (especially the grey market price) for this integrated, high polish but stronger steel model. It's an independent, they make their own movements, and the freaking steel is also proprietary and made in-house - with a beautiful and unique dial to boot. How cool is that at 11-13k? Sure, the movement isn't up to L.U.C. standards, but neither is the price.

At the end of the day, after much research and thought, I do ultimately feel that the watch stands on its own merits. I don't feel like I'm succumbing to 2nd place and do think it has a home in my collection as a "not trying to be something else but it's own luxury sports watch" type of thing. It's funny, looking at my collection and where this fits makes me a tad giddy - I don't have anything like it and would actually take this over a Batman or a Pepsi right now. The internet folks can take their hype watches!

Only thing left is to actually see it in person! Hoping to do that in the next week.

Apologize for the long response but had to put my thoughts out there.
I completely agree, point for point. I am so on the fence with piece. Please update upon your successful inspection. If you can, please provide some feedback on the clasp. Not having handled one personally, it has the appearance of being a little cheap. Maybe I'm overcooking that, but if you could provide some in person feedback I would appreciate such. Thanks and happy hunting.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 01:24 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I like Chopard especially the L.U.C pieces but they are very hard to find and there are very few AD's
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 04:13 AM   #18
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
When the Alpine Eagle was announced, initially I wasn't all that impressed with it. In light of how demand sky rocketed for the Nautilus and RO, it just struck me as another integrated bracelet luxury sports watch being released to jump on the bandwagon. I was familiar with the history of the brand, as a friend received a St. Moritz after graduating from law school in the 90's. However, I was disappointed it lost some of its DNA going to a perfectly round bezel and growing "Ears." Also, I'm not a fan of Roman numerals on a sports watch.

I did try one on about 6 months ago, and I loved the bracelet and dial color and design. I wasn't sold on the bezel or the hour markers. However, over time the design has grown on me. I like it far more than the Piaget Polo S, and I think it fits and wears better than the Laureato. The Laureato's bracelet seems a bit flimsy, and the way it is integrated into the case and the angle at which it comes downward leads to an awkward fit for some people.

If I were in the market for a luxury sports watch, I'd give the Alpine Eagle some serious thought. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 04:15 AM   #19
Star Ferry
Banned

Like this a lot. And at a lower price point, the Ingenieur is fun
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 04:16 AM   #20
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
The Alpine Eagle is an extremely well finished watch and gorgeous to boot. Looks much better than the other known integrated bracelet watches.

However, the 41mm is in reality 39mm and wears really small. If you like small(er) watches this watch is for you.

If not go for the chrono XL or better yet the Seventies chrono from GO. You get the HH caliber and finish. That's the choice I made after trying the Alpine Eagle on several occasions. YMMV of course!

Old 9 April 2022, 04:52 AM   #21
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

It’s debatable how much “inspiration” Chopard took from the usual suspects when designing the eagle. However, there is no debate that the bracelet and dial are well made and absolutely gorgeous - Chopard clearly flexed its strength as a jewelry maker when making these watch parts.

I’m in the market for a well-made integrated bracelet sports watch that’s guaranteed to tank in value because then it won’t be worth a thug’s while to mug me for it, and the eagle is a candidate. Folks think it’s “second choice” watch like it’s something bad. I disagree, there’s a place in a collection for a watch like that as the coming off the bench watch to the RO/Nautilus starter pieces.

I think the eagle’s primary problems are it’s competition: the Zenith Defy Skyline, and Bvlgari Octo Finissimo. Both are priced lower with much better engineered movements.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 05:26 AM   #22
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftycomfort View Post
It’s debatable how much “inspiration” Chopard took from the usual suspects when designing the eagle. However, there is no debate that the bracelet and dial are well made and absolutely gorgeous - Chopard clearly flexed its strength as a jewelry maker when making these watch parts.

I’m in the market for a well-made integrated bracelet sports watch that’s guaranteed to tank in value because then it won’t be worth a thug’s while to mug me for it, and the eagle is a candidate. Folks think it’s “second choice” watch like it’s something bad. I disagree, there’s a place in a collection for a watch like that as the coming off the bench watch to the RO/Nautilus starter pieces.

I think the eagle’s primary problems are it’s competition: the Zenith Defy Skyline, and Bvlgari Octo Finissimo. Both are priced lower with much better engineered movements.
Regarding the Bvlgari, which I like, 2 guys I know that owned the Octo Finissimo, and both had issues with the movement, like the seconds hand sometimes struggled to make it through certain parts of the rotation. The other guy had that issue, and had trouble with the watch staying wound. One guy sent his off to have it repaired/adjusted. So far his seems to be better. The other guy got tired of the issues and sold his. I'm not a fan of the looks of the Zenith, but they make high quality movements.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 05:46 AM   #23
djnick
"TRF" Member

top watch, excellent movement and finishing
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 05:46 AM   #24
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
Regarding the Bvlgari, which I like, 2 guys I know that owned the Octo Finissimo, and both had issues with the movement, like the seconds hand sometimes struggled to make it through certain parts of the rotation. The other guy had that issue, and had trouble with the watch staying wound. One guy sent his off to have it repaired/adjusted. So far his seems to be better. The other guy got tired of the issues and sold his. I'm not a fan of the looks of the Zenith, but they make high quality movements.
I guess I’m lucky. I’ve had the titanium version for three years, and do not have any problems while wearing it on a semi-regular basis. The only shortcoming is the 30m water resistance meaning I can’t wear it like a true sports watch.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 06:44 AM   #25
JParm

Quote:
I haven't really paid much attention the Zenith, but that Defy Skyline is very attractive, especially without the screws on the bezel and the tapered bracelet (did I mention I'm a sucker for that? ).

Might have to take a harder look there as well.
Old 9 April 2022, 11:26 AM   #26
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I have an Alpine Eagle. Purchased it the day after seeing in person at WatchTime NYC last year. It’s rare I move that quickly on a non Rolex piece lol.

The watch is really well done. The dial is unlike anything out there - truly mesmerizing. The bracelet is very comfortable. I personally don’t mind the date placement - to me it blends well.

History wise you are right it has its own place in the watch world going back to the St Moritz. Yes it’s a blue dial integrated bracelet sports piece in a time where they are most coveted and sought after - no denying the opportune timing.

To me the other fun part: it’s actually attainable. Yes that’s right you can actually buy this piece without jumping through hoops - crazy right.

My AD worked with me price wise as I was concerned with resale.

All in all I’m very happy with the piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2022, 12:11 PM   #27
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I have an Alpine Eagle. Purchased it the day after seeing in person at WatchTime NYC last year. It’s rare I move that quickly on a non Rolex piece lol.
Thanks for the response as an owner! How does it compare in terms of wrist time to your other watches? Do you find yourself reaching for it more often, or is it a 4th / 5th option?

Additionally, do you find the taper lacking in the bracelet (e.g. does it feel bulky or too thick towards the clasp)?

Quote:
I guess I’m lucky. I’ve had the titanium version for three years, and do not have any problems while wearing it on a semi-regular basis. The only shortcoming is the 30m water resistance meaning I can’t wear it like a true sports watch.
Quote:
I haven't really paid much attention the Zenith, but that Defy Skyline is very attractive, especially without the screws on the bezel and the tapered bracelet (did I mention I'm a sucker for that? ).

Might have to take a harder look there as well.
So I ended up driving to the local AD this afternoon, as they had the Defy Skyline in stock (gotta love that!). While a nice watch, it just didn't sing to me enough. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but it just seemed kind of blah. Nicely done, but still a bit bland. It felt more like a $5k watch than what that should be at nearly $8500. The one thing it does have going for it is the interchangeability of the bracelet / strap.

Old 9 April 2022, 12:12 PM   #28
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great watch. Aesthetically beautiful. That’s all that matters in my opinion.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 12:23 PM   #29
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Thanks for the response as an owner! How does it compare in terms of wrist time to your other watches? Do you find yourself reaching for it more often, or is it a 4th / 5th option?

Additionally, do you find the taper lacking in the bracelet (e.g. does it feel bulky or too thick towards the clasp)?

So I ended up driving to the local AD this afternoon, as they had the Defy Skyline in stock (gotta love that!). While a nice watch, it just didn't sing to me enough. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but it just seemed kind of blah. Nicely done, but still a bit bland. It felt more like a $5k watch than what that should be at nearly $8500. The one thing it does have going for it is the interchangeability of the bracelet / strap.

No issues with the clasp at all. I personally find the bracelet very comfortable - it does ‘pop’ open if you’re clapping or any heavy motion.

Wrist time… I tend to go in cycles. It definitely gets it’s fair share because I have a wear or sell policy. At the moment I’ve been wearing Omega SMP and Daytona 116500 during the day and then my Oysterflex Daytona out at night.

Another piece that’s recently caught my eye is the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo - would definitely recommend giving it a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 April 2022, 12:57 AM   #30
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I didnt like it when it was first released. Now that I own it, my opinion change 180Deg. Its a truely fantastic piece. You can check out the photos of this piece on my IG feed.