The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2022, 11:14 AM   #1
woodedareas
"TRF" Member

May give my Rolex to family

I may be the only one on this forum who is not in love with my DD that I purchased fro an AD this past year. I am an old man and thought it would be a nice gift to myself for surviving cancer surgery. As I reported here it does periodically need winding but I knew this before.I offered it to my wife but she prefers her Apple Watch, and so do both of my daughters who are successful business persons. One daughter told me the watch is for older men, and I fit the bill.So I will continue to use it because it is a quality item, but will supplement it with an Apple watch. Am I the only owner who is not in love with my watch?
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 11:24 AM   #2
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
I may be the only one on this forum who is not in love with my DD that I purchased fro an AD this past year. I am an old man and thought it would be a nice gift to myself for surviving cancer surgery. As I reported here it does periodically need winding but I knew this before.I offered it to my wife but she prefers her Apple Watch, and so do both of my daughters who are successful business persons. One daughter told me the watch is for older men, and I fit the bill.So I will continue to use it because it is a quality item, but will supplement it with an Apple watch. Am I the only owner who is not in love with my watch?
That's a tough one!!! There are many DD owners who feel the DD is the pinnacle Rolex. Maybe you just bought the wrong watch. Maybe another model may tick the boxes better. If your daughters are married, and you want to gift the watch, possible one of their husbands would like it??? I know I would!! How about some pictures???
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:06 PM   #3
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
can you post a photo of the watch?
nocaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:11 PM   #4
rawrence
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Surviving a surgery like that is a major accomplishment, and I think making a purchase like that is a great way to commemorate that achievement. While it may not be the style that your daughters like, perhaps one day it could make its way to a son-in-law or a grandchild!

I know if my grandfather gave me a Rolex that had that meaning behind it, I would cherish it for life and pass it down to my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:44 PM   #5
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: big fat invicta
Quote:
well, i'm 40 years old myself, but hey, if you want to adopt me as a son so you can give it to me, i'm fine with that.

btw, congrats on your cancer's remission, blessings to you, sir
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If nobody wants it, maybe just sell it and take your family on a celebratory luxury vacation/cruise that they can remember after you're gone.
Old 10 April 2022, 01:25 PM   #7
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

You may have simply bought the wrong watch. I thought I wanted a DD until I got one in my hands and realized it was a HUGE mistake.

With the value of them being fine, you should be able to sell it fine without losing your hat.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 01:53 PM   #8
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can take it to an AD and do a trade for another piece; either for yourself, wife, or daughters
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 03:19 PM   #9
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Some great advice here.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 02:29 AM   #10
woodedareas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
can you post a photo of the watch?
I can take a picture foot with my iPhone but not certain how to post. Will try today.
Thanks
Old 11 April 2022, 02:52 AM   #11
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If nobody wants it, maybe just sell it and take your family on a celebratory luxury vacation/cruise that they can remember after you're gone.
- Friend of mine who passed a few years ago did something similar- he wanted to be remembered laughing and enjoying life and share those memories with his kids.
Took the family on vacations and bought his 2 kids each beautiful, but simple platinum bands engraved on the inside, which never leave their fingers. Took tons of photos and bought lots of inexpensive, silly souvenirs that remind his family of great fun times with him.

That said, I hope you get to enjoy much more time with your family OP:
Old 11 April 2022, 03:05 AM   #12
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
- Friend of mine who passed a few years ago did something similar- he wanted to be remembered laughing and enjoying life and share those memories with his kids.
Took the family on vacations and bought his 2 kids each beautiful, but simple platinum bands engraved on the inside, which never leave their fingers. Took tons of photos and bought lots of inexpensive, silly souvenirs that remind his family of great fun times with him.

That said, I hope you get to enjoy much more time with your family OP:

Another vote for this.

My husband lost his beloved stepfather and father a year apart a few years ago. The “things” of theirs that we cherish the most are things they’d owned for a long time and/or were special to them. I can’t say your DD wouldn’t fall into that category, but many here who have written about their “legacy watches” enjoy them because they remember their dad or grandfather wearing it.

If you’re well enough to travel, I suggest putting together a trip that everyone would enjoy (or maybe something you’ve always wanted to do but never could), whether it’s a cruise or renting a cabin in the woods by a nearby lake, for hiking, fishing, or telling stories around a campfire. Have you been to the Grand Canyon? The Indy 500? (My neighbor is on one of the racing teams, so I had to give it a plug). If there’s something that you’ve always wanted to do, your family would no doubt get a kick out of being there with you while you do it. Or, maybe think back on your favorite family vacation years ago, and take everyone back. The vast majority of our family vacations have been to places within a day’s drive of our home. My husband’s favorite family vacations growing up were to Hawaii; his dad worked all of the time, and he enjoyed seeing his father have fun without the phone in his hand.

Just a few weeks ago we went to Nashville with the family for spring break. We saw a concert at the Grand Ole Opry; they announce milestones people are celebrating (which is cool). You’d be surprised at how many birthdays, anniversaries, and even a honeymoon are celebrated there. To the applause of everyone in the audience, a woman was there celebrating her 89th birthday! My guess is that her family will cherish that memory of being together with her at the Grand Ole Opry forever.

So, another vote for sell the watch and do something together with the family!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 03:29 AM   #13
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Sounds like it's not for you, but assuming you bought from an AD that shouldn't be a problem.

Sell it, make some extra cash and enjoy the Apple Watch.
Old 11 April 2022, 03:33 AM   #14
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can take a picture foot with my iPhone but not certain how to post. Will try today.
Thanks
www.imgur.com to upload a picture and then either put the link here or use ''insert image''/and then add the link.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 02:55 AM   #15
woodedareas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
www.imgur.com to upload a picture and then either put the link here or use ''insert image''/and then add the link.

Will try.
Old 12 April 2022, 03:04 AM   #16
woodedareas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will try.
https://imgur.com/a/bNSD2Ph

Hope this works.
Old 12 April 2022, 03:11 AM   #17
DaninFlorida
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Speedy/BB
Quote:
blurry, but good looking watch. just so you know, its a Datejust...not a Day Date. either way, a very nice watch, that if you decided to sell it, you wont lose money
DaninFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 03:24 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me

OP, no offense intended and maybe I’m reading something into your post that is not there …. But it sounds to me like you really aren’t into mechanical watches regardless of the reference
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 03:30 AM   #19
woodedareas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me

OP, no offense intended and maybe I’m reading something into your post that is not there …. But it sounds to me like you really aren’t into mechanical watches regardless of the reference
I thinkyou are correct. I am not fabn ofmechanical watches although I respect the care and qaulity of manufacturing. I am an old man but none of my friend who are all very successful wear Rolex watches. I have been very fortunate in business and there was a time when I puchased items simply because I could but now tatt apassion hass passed. Rolex is a great watch.
Old 12 April 2022, 03:33 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I thinkyou are correct. I am not fabn ofmechanical watches although I respect the care and qaulity of manufacturing. I am an old man but none of my friend who are all very successful wear Rolex watches. I have been very fortunate in business and there was a time when I puchased items simply because I could but now tatt apassion hass passed. Rolex is a great watch.
Nothing wrong with giving it a try as you have. At least in this case, if you could to sell the watch you won’t lose a lot of money
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 06:36 AM   #21
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Put it away in a safe; you may change your feelings one day.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 06:51 AM   #22
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
That's a tough one!!! There are many DD owners who feel the DD is the pinnacle Rolex. Maybe you just bought the wrong watch. Maybe another model may tick the boxes better. If your daughters are married, and you want to gift the watch, possible one of their husbands would like it??? I know I would!! How about some pictures???
Nice try, son-in-law of OP.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 07:43 AM   #23
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Yup. So that’s reality outside of the forum for the vast majority of people. Despite a resurgence (and the price increase and shortages that come with it - though I still think that is mostly due to sales in non-Western countries at this point) the average person is at best interested in an Apple Watch. If that. Most people will look at the Rolex brand as something that is showy and tacky - and completely useless.
And a DD falls even deeper into that category since those are really designed, well for old people, hookers - and the occasional watch connoisseur.

Enjoy your watches - and the market as it currently is while it lasts. This may all go away again quickly.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 08:58 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
That is one really nice watch you have there. Hopefully, all will work out for you on it, whatever you decide.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 09:34 AM   #25
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
sell it

it’s the best model of all Rolex watches collection
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 10:52 AM   #26
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
No matter what, the big point here is you beat the cancer, sincere congrats on that first, the rest is gravy
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 11:25 AM   #27
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I can confirm you don’t care about it because you don’t know the model lol……I hope you didn’t pay day date prices……congrats on kicking cancers ass!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 10:29 PM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'm "old" too...but I do love my watches.

It's all about perspective, and enjoyment, my friend. My sincere best wishes for finding both. Oh, and congrats on beating the cancer!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 04:59 PM   #29
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
It's a Datejust - not a Day Date.

BIG difference in status and value.

Right now, it is a fairly common piece worth $9K to $12K tops but I
don't think you'd get that from a grey dealer.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 03:35 AM   #30
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Yup. So that’s reality outside of the forum for the vast majority of people. Despite a resurgence (and the price increase and shortages that come with it - though I still think that is mostly due to sales in non-Western countries at this point) the average person is at best interested in an Apple Watch. If that. Most people will look at the Rolex brand as something that is showy and tacky - and completely useless.
And a DD falls even deeper into that category since those are really designed, well for old people, hookers - and the occasional watch connoisseur.

Enjoy your watches - and the market as it currently is while it lasts. This may all go away again quickly.
Old, hookers??
Show some respect...the Day Date is the Flagship of Rolex. It is an accomplishment to get any Rolex, but the ultimate is a Day Date.

Go on wearing your Apple Watch ( I own Apple stock & appreciate your business) or use your phone to tell time. Some of us LOVE the feel of a nice watch on our wrist.
Wee-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote