The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Fifteen
Banned

A. Lange & Söhne versus Code 11?

I’m thinking of getting a dress watch and naturally I thought of getting a Code, not because I like the watch, but just so I can add that to my purchase history. I’ve then come to my senses and am now thinking of buying a watch I actually like. Learning more about Lange watches now. Anyone have any thoughts about Lange in general and which models to consider? Will be worn with a blazer for work.

Budget is about $40-45k (inc tax), but preferably less
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 09:18 PM   #2
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
I’m thinking of getting a dress watch and naturally I thought of getting a Code, not because I like the watch, but just so I can add that to my purchase history. I’ve then come to my senses and am now thinking of buying a watch I actually like. Learning more about Lange watches now. Anyone have any thoughts about Lange in general and which models to consider? Will be worn with a blazer for work.

Budget is about $40-45k (inc tax), but preferably less
I would say, get the watch you like, cuz in this market, even if you got a Code, doesn't mean you'll get on the list of the RO. Lange makes some of the best watches. The Lange 1, the Saxonia thin, copper blue dial, is out of this world.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 09:46 PM   #3
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

I had the same thought about the code chrono vs. ALS 1815 chrono. When I saw the two in person it was a no brainer. I’ve since purchased 3 more langes.

Generally, the entry to als is either a chrono (1815 or dato) or a Lange 1.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 10:26 PM   #4
Zazzles
2024 Pledge Member

Try the code on in person of you can. I got mine a mo yh ago and can hardly take it off my wrist. It's really criminally underrated and maligned.
Zazzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 10:30 PM   #5
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Code is not a dress watch. ALS is miles better in that category and it not even close. Love the 1815 and L1
Old 13 April 2022, 11:50 PM   #6
Qngo516
Banned

I daily a GL1 for nearly a decade. Highly recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Qngo516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 11:55 PM   #7
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I have to confess, I forgot how to tie a tie back sometime around 2018...so I adhere by the 'if the sub is good enough for james bond in a tux, it's good enough for me' rule.

I think your underlying question is so hard, because while a code doesn't guarantee a RO, I woudl still take market prices (which have cooled down a bit) over a disconted Lange. For example, I think one of the TS has one here. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=12095950

Great price, amazing value even at list for the complication, in your budget, and yet the watch does nothing for me emotionally. But that's all highly subjective anyways.

If set on Lange, then I'm with Qngo516 for the recommendation on the model within the Lange line. Congrats in advance!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 11:59 PM   #8
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
I sold my 1815 chrono to buy a Code chrono, but I did it because I found dress watches not my style anymore and the Code more aligned with my style and lifestyle.

I found the Lange dial and case less inspiring. I prefer the Code, but it's not the better 'dress watch' if that's what you're really looking for. I just wanted something that was more exciting to me. I also sold my Lange 1 to get a new Octo Finissimo to give you a sense of the direction I'm going.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 12:10 AM   #9
Drixonite
"TRF" Member

You need to see the Code in person. Like many others, I also wrote off that whole line. But after I saw the Code chrono in person, I can’t stop thinking about it. The ceramic midcase encased in white gold, with beveled edges and satin/polished finishes all over - the finishing and case work is unparalleled.
Old 14 April 2022, 12:32 AM   #10
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
If you are after a classic and highly finished watch - Lange wins hands down.
If you are looking for contempoary design, a more unique asthetic - go with Code.
If you are trying to build more purchase history with AP to get a royal oak, go with Code.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 12:39 AM   #11
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I bought both recently. A Lange 1 followed by a Code. TBH i bought the code mostly for AP purchase history. But after owning it I find myself wearing it a lot and actually loving it. Due to too many incomings I then decided to sell the Lange. The Lange 1 is absolutely fantastic and the sizing and finish is sublime. The only reason I was able to talk myself into selling it is that I see myself buying the moon phase version sometime in the future.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 01:03 AM   #12
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Have both, Lange 1 for dress watch Code for everything else. If I had to pick to keep one it would be the Code.
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 01:20 AM   #13
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/d...-chrono-cd1159

I think this is the next best representation of the Code 11.59 than handling it in person. You can appreciate some of the thoughtfulness and complexity that went into the case and crystal design, finishing of visible and non-visible surfaces. The smoked lacquer dials are very good, better than Moser.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 02:55 AM   #14
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
lange lange lange any day
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 03:13 AM   #15
Bbp
"TRF" Member

Lange 1, calatrava, Traditionnelle, etc are all Very Nice classic watches but boring (sorry to the fans) versus code 11.59 which is kinda revolutionary, somehow different and really interesting! Anyway buy whatever makes u happy.
Bbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 03:19 AM   #16
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

In this market where things go up and down. Get what you like. The choices are very different. I have high respect for the Lange brand but they don’t speak to me. Code for the first moment did. Code can a a dress watch but not in a traditional way.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 04:27 AM   #17
pjm1289
"TRF" Member

I saw the Code 1159 when I picked up another purchase at the AP boutique and I didn't love it. Fast forward about 4 months and I was picking up the Lange Saxonia Outsize Date. I don't love manual wind timepieces so I went for the Saxonia Outsize instead of the Lange 1.
pjm1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 06:59 AM   #18
squall1
"TRF" Member

Said it many times here, but like the posters above, I don't really consider the Code as a dress watch at all. I'd choose a Code, but not if I was after a true dress watch.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 07:29 AM   #19
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Own both, prefer the Lange. I still think the AP Code is underrated from a design perspective, but they can certainly coexist.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote