The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 June 2022, 08:33 AM   #1
rururupo
"TRF" Member

Recommend me some historically significant watches

I've been recently acquiring a vintage collection (1960's to 2000's), specifically pieces that have stood the test of time and have classic design as well as historical significance. Also I'm trying to stick to a black color scheme in terms of the dial.

A few watches that I've really enjoyed and are probably going to acquire relatively soon are:

Rolex 1016 Explorer with gilt dial from 1966
Rolex GMT coke red/black bezel from 1990's.
Omega Speedmaster original Ed white (caliber 321) from 1966
Blancpain 1185 villeret chronograph from 1990's
Patek Aquanaut 5065 circa 2000's.

Most of my interests in these watches stems from their connection with a historical event like the Everest expedition (even though yes, it wasn't actually the explorer that went up the mountain) or the moon landing. The Blancpain 1185 was the thinnest chronograph movement in the world developed at the time and was adopted by all three holy trinity brands until something thinner was developed much later. I think it reigned supreme for a good while. I prefer the vintage "tool watch" vibe more than the modern lineups because they are less shiny and seem more like the watch that would have been actually used in the historical context.

Please give me some suggestions (that are not ridiculously expensive like a series A royal oak) that have a historical connection!
rururupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 09:35 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Zenith El Primero

Breitling Navitimer

TAG Heuer Monaco

Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso

Longines Lindbergh Hour Angle
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote