The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 September 2022, 03:06 PM   #1
goodfishfrancis
"TRF" Member

Semi gloss dial?

I recently picked up a 5500 'explorer' from a dealer with perfect rating and over 250 transactions on EBay. I've done the research and I know that most of these are supposedly redialed air-kings (though I find it’s hard to track down replacement dials so where are the dials coming from for the redials?). I ended up winning the auction at under $3k and had the EBay 10% off coupon which covered tax. The seller didn't take great pictures of the watch so I couldn't really discern wether the dial was real or not but I figured at the very least the case and movement were legit; after all, why would he risk his perfect rating by selling absolute dog poo?

The watch arrived a week ahead of schedule in good working condition (I've been wearing it since Saturday afternoon and it's been keeping close to perfect time). It came with an older oyster bracelet with 7835 19 embossed on the largest link and 357 embossed into the hollow endlinks. I swiftly switched it out for an aftermarket oyster and put the original into safe storage. The watch was polished at some point so it was hard to make out but the serial number on the case looks like its from 1967 (1,73X,XXX), and on the other side it says Registered Design 5500, which would put it at the very end of production for it's supposed reference.

The seller had noted that the dial looked refinished, which I thought was obvious due to the puffy, pumpkin-colored lume. The hands are most certainly aftermarket, but upon inspection of the dial, I noticed that it wasn't quite what I expected...

Most of the 5500 explorers that I've seen have what seem to be matte dials that appear less black in direct light. I have a San Martin 1016 homage that has a matte dial like this. However, the dial on this 5500 is different. I've never seen a vintage glossy dial in person so I don't know exactly what they look like but this dial has a reflective surface. I can see an almost mirror reflection of the hands in the dial and the dial is a deep black color no matter the angle its viewed from, rather than the more grayish-black displayed on the aftermarket 1016 explorer matte dials i've seen and my San Martin. Another note is that the text appears to be somewhat shiny and raised, like you could feel it if you ran your finger across it. Also, I always thought the glossy dials appeared more smooth and wet, like a porcelain dial but this dial seems to have somewhat of a texture at certain angles.

I tried to take some pictures of the dial but my phone camera just refuses to focus up close and capture the details - they just turn into fuzz when I zoom in and the cloudy crystal doesn’t make it any easier. I'm guessing I need a macro lens to get a good representation of the dial but here’s some bad pics anyway.

(If the hands and dial look warped it’s just due to the domed plastic crystal).

I appreciate any cordial input! Let me know what you guys think
goodfishfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 03:52 PM   #2
1675-David
"TRF" Member

appears to be one or the less good, fake explorer 5500 dials out there. Take a straight on image of the dial not angled.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 05:00 PM   #3
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

As you stated, hands are aftermarket and the dial doesn't look quite right. Have checked the case engravings? maybe shoot a pic of that?
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 07:20 PM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
67 would be matte and I suspect whole dial is repainted gloss the font is off and numerals oversized - I can see SWISS to the left bottom of the dial picture 4 which I suspect means it's Swiss T<25 footer expected after 1962ish.
Put up some engravings at lug ends please. If the case caseback and calibre and 7835/19 are ok it's around the £2000-2300 mark in UK for a repainted dial 5500 btw.
But just for today I think I lie here and dream of you
Uncertain Smile THE THE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 12:21 AM   #5
goodfishfrancis
"TRF" Member

Semi gloss dial?

Thanks for the responses! I’d post a pic of the case engravings but the polish job it received made the engravings next to impossible to photograph. Only under the right light and angle am I able to barely make out the “Registered Design 5500” and the serial number.

Sad to hear that the dial is fake, though for fake there seems to be quite a bit of effort - also, the only repro 5500 explorer dials I can find are matte finish so I wonder where the dial came from. Regardless, I kinda like the look of it so I’ll probably keep this one given it’s keeping good time. One more photo to show the Swiss T &lt; 25 footer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 September 2022, 12:27 AM   #6
goodfishfrancis
"TRF" Member

Semi gloss dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
appears to be one or the less good, fake explorer 5500 dials out there. Take a straight on image of the dial not angled.

Thanks for responding. I took the angled shots to present the reflection of the hands in the dial but I added a straight image as well.

Old 14 September 2022, 01:17 AM   #7
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Sorry about the issues with the watch. Honestly, I’d send it back and get a refund (if that’s an option). The concerns are too many, and keeping “good time” is not a great reason for hanging on to a watch with that many issues. Additionally, when it comes time to sell it, you’re gonna have a very difficult time of it.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 02:12 AM   #8
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I would atleast check if the movement is legit. Usually watches that start off like that have more surprises.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 02:28 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

For what it's worth, the dial looks pretty bad to me.
Old 14 September 2022, 02:35 AM   #10
goodfishfrancis
"TRF" Member

I reviewed the original description on the auction and it stated that the serial number was clearly visible which is not true, I can’t even get it to show up in a photo, and struggle to see it in person. So I’ve submitted a request for refund to eBay. Pretty sure they’ll grant it due to the misrepresentation in the description. Also, first time I’ve ever requested a refund on a watch

Old 14 September 2022, 03:15 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck, let us know how this sorts out
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 04:13 AM   #12
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfishfrancis View Post
I reviewed the original description on the auction and it stated that the serial number was clearly visible which is not true, I can’t even get it to show up in a photo, and struggle to see it in person. So I’ve submitted a request for refund to eBay. Pretty sure they’ll grant it due to the misrepresentation in the description. Also, first time I’ve ever requested a refund on a watch

Good luck.
Old 14 September 2022, 06:42 AM   #13
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
As mentioned, dial and hands look no bueno. Crown looks aftermarket, too. Does not look crimped in the back, proportions seem wrong.
Old 15 September 2022, 05:04 PM   #14
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

This one’s a real head-scratcher. And why put the old bracelet in safe storage?
Get a refund!
Old 15 September 2022, 10:00 PM   #15
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

keep us posted.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote