The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 October 2022, 05:41 AM   #1
ZzLaws
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Mystery. What happened to my vintage Rolex?

I purchased my Rolex in Switzerland in the early 1980’s.

It has operated flawlessly all these years …except late 80’s I dropped it on a tile floor and cracked the glass bezel. It was sent to a Rolex repair facility in New York and as I said- worked without issue all these years. I put it in the bank safety deposit box 2 years ago. When I retrieved it recently- I was stunned to notice it was not working. Upon closer inspection I see what appears to be tiny dark pieces (almost like tiny rocks) that roll around the face…also- it appears there is some sort of degradation on the hands and face as well. What on earth is happening here? Does anyone have an idea?

Regarding possible repair- I phoned an authorized Rolex dealer/repair facility. They indicate do to the age…they do not offer in house repair…it must be sent to Rolex etc… repair estimate 800-$1300! After I picked myself up off the floor…I found this forum. Hoping someone here has experience in this sort of situation and might guide me towards a reasonable solution.

Thank you!

(Trying to upload a photo but it’s too large so will try again…)
ZzLaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 06:07 AM   #2
ZzLaws
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Here is my watch- ( inquiry posted above )

37FD3474-95F3-435D-B967-9AA4BFCE3CA1.jpeg
Old 8 October 2022, 06:09 AM   #3
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Possible there was some water intrusion before you locked it away and the moisture just slowly damaged things. Doesn’t sound good. Photos would help.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 07:55 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looks like the lume on your minute hand has deteriorated and is floating around.

The only fix is to take it apart and clean all the old lume out, then either replace the hands or have the original filled with material to match.
Old 8 October 2022, 08:04 AM   #5
ZzLaws
"TRF" Member

Is this sort of degradation to be expected with a watch this age?

Or did moisturizer and or humidity create the problem?

Is there such thing as a Rolex repair facility that is dependable but not necessarily "authorized" ? There is NO way I'm going to pay $1000 to repair a watch.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 8 October 2022, 09:02 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It looks like you are losing some of the gray finish from the dial. Unfortunately, that does happen sometimes with the colored dials, but it's not inevitable. So I suspect that the storage conditions contributed.

There are certainly watchmakers that will repair/service Rolex watches. If you find one who has a Rolex parts account, they should be able to work on that watch, since it presumably has a cal 3035. Even without a parts account, some watchmakers can find ways to source parts. If you search the forum, you will find that several independent watchmakers are frequently recommended. However, they also charge premium prices IMO, so you may not find that you are saving a large amount. They will, however, follow your instructions regarding preserving vintage parts. Given the degradation of your dial, a Rolex Service Center might require you to replace the dial and hands with modern parts.

You may also want to contact the Rolex Service Center directly. It sounds to me that your AD is planning to add their own fee for sending the watch to the RSC for you. It's actually much better to send the watch to Dallas directly. The communication is better, and you will avoid the middleman.
Old 8 October 2022, 09:14 AM   #7
ZzLaws
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Holy Cow! Thanks Dan. All good info. Will definitely investigate dealing with Rolex direct...and/or a reputable watch repair outfit. Many thanks!
Old 8 October 2022, 09:38 AM   #8
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Keep in mind that safety deposit boxes are not sealed and are still prone to moisture, humidity, dryness, etc.
Old 8 October 2022, 09:50 AM   #9
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzLaws View Post
Is this sort of degradation to be expected with a watch this age?

Or did moisturizer and or humidity create the problem?

Is there such thing as a Rolex repair facility that is dependable but not necessarily "authorized" ? There is NO way I'm going to pay $1000 to repair a watch.

Thanks in advance for any input.
My apologies for quick looking on a small hand held device.

It appears to be the seconds hand, not the minute hand, that is showing deterioration of the finish.

The -TSwissT- markings on the dial indicate steel hands and indices, and they are often plated. It is likely that the plating is breaking up.

Most shops can take your watch apart and clean things or replace corroded parts. However, it is unlikely that you will find any who will not clean the entire movement because pieces of this detritis will be inside and affect it's function. A basic service call at Rolex is around 700 bucks, although other shops may be a bit less, they may not be as capable.
Old 8 October 2022, 09:50 AM   #10
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Rolex will likely insist on hands and dial replacement if they are degrading to the extent that bits will possibly be falling through the date window and into the movement during the one-year warranty period. In that case the total quote will be quite a bit more than $1k.
Old 8 October 2022, 10:00 AM   #11
ZzLaws
"TRF" Member

Icon14

It never occurred to me that the bank box would cause such havoc.
I’ve learned a very expensive lesson. It was flawless when placed in the
box. Should have just taken it on my 2 year trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Keep in mind that safety deposit boxes are not sealed and are still prone to moisture, humidity, dryness, etc.
Old 9 October 2022, 08:04 AM   #12
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
It always amazes me how a Rolex Oyster watch, presumably with the crown screwed down, can be vulnerable to atmospheric humidity in a safe deposit vault. Even if the seals are old, it should still have a good degree of vapour resistance. My 1675 GMT has been subject to normal atmospheric moisture in the north of England for decades yet hasn't suffered any deterioration of this sort.

Learning from other's experience, I reckon that if I was ever to store my watch for an extended period I would seal it in a polythene bag with a desiccant sachet.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 10:33 AM   #13
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
if I was ever to store my watch for an extended period I would seal it in a polythene bag with a desiccant sachet.
That might help a bit, but deterioration is just part of owning vintage. Lume disintegrates. Stuff fades. Bracelets stretch. Movements need maintenance.

The fact is that everything falls apart in the long run. Including us.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote