The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 12 October 2022, 10:35 AM   #1
ink3027
"TRF" Member

New Grand Seiko - SLGH019

Grand Seiko just announced a new model, the SLGH019. It's the first time the well known Mt. Iwate dial has been used in an Evolution 9 case. This watch will have the same case and bracelet as the other Evolution 9 models, but will be in titanium. It features the new hi-beat 9SA5 movement which has an 80-hour power reserve.

MSRP is $10,400 USD and is available through the GS online boutique, with shipping expected in November.

More pictures are in the link below.

I love this watch, but my only critique is the price point. GS has been moving upmarket considerably with the new Evolution 9 watches, and I'm afraid they've lost me there.

https://wornandwound.com/grand-seiko...-9-collection/

ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 11:32 AM   #2
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Looks pretty nice but nothing special.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 12:46 PM   #3
pbankey
"TRF" Member

Grey prices for the evo9 watches have come down substantially as the watch market has been adjusting. My concern is GS will be shooting themselves in the foot with their MSRP asking prices. They took advantage of the GS hype in a market where demand for watches was rising.

Now with the market adjustments... I dunno. I can't see myself paying MSRP for this, but I think it's an incredible watch.
pbankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 03:06 PM   #4
Xbj
Banned

The dial is lovable. Love the watch itself but not sure I can get it over couple of other watches.
Xbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:15 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A good looking watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:18 PM   #6
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I love the style and the dial. Nice watch.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:13 AM   #7
GolfT3
"TRF" Member

Agree with the pricing comments. No doubt GS is trying to recoup development costs on the new movements, but the new pricing runs counter to their strategy on increasing US market share.

At $6,500-$7,000 these things would be flying out the door as fast as dealers could get them. At $10,500 in a declining market, they're going to sit or get resold at a loss.
GolfT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:30 AM   #8
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
As I pointed out in the past, GS dials are being repurposed from model to model, and any initial uniqueness and novelty they might have had fades away. Are they nice? Yes. Are they special? No.

GS has been churning out new releases at a crazy rate, and this is frankly causing decision fatigue at this point.
Old 13 October 2022, 02:47 AM   #9
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I think this model was announced a month or two ago.

The problem with GS, other than bad bracelets and the price point nowadays, is that they are making multiple variations on the same dial now. First came the Birch series. Then came the Lake Suwa type dials (the Omiwatari, now with a couple of variants, when you look at it, is essentially the Lake Suwa dial).

Even the new SLGA015 diver seems very similar in dial structure as the Suwa dials, except for in black.

Now the Iwate dials are being replicated.

None of this would bother me if the price point were lower. It becomes a "collectible" series. At $10k plus, I don't see the value anymore. Certainly, it's not exclusivity.

I really think GS needs to slow its roll.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 04:07 AM   #10
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
These shouldn't be viewed as "new releases", but merely "new dial options" for the same case/design and same movement. I like this dial and movement, but unfortunately this case design is just a flat-out deal breaker with its non-tapering 22 mm bracelet (well, there's like a 1 or 2 mm taper, but not enough). Same hobbled clasp, as well.

I think GS really dropped the ball on this, the entire "Evo 9" range is a hard pass for me due to those shortcomings.
Old 14 October 2022, 05:40 PM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Beautiful watch. Hard pass at the asking price. Oh well.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 12:07 AM   #12
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
As I pointed out in the past, GS dials are being repurposed from model to model, and any initial uniqueness and novelty they might have had fades away. Are they nice? Yes. Are they special? No.

GS has been churning out new releases at a crazy rate, and this is frankly causing decision fatigue at this point.

Couldn’t agree more. They have really gone overboard on the ‘in touch with nature’ marketing and basically rinse and repeat a watch with a different dial color or movement.

The white birch was released as a signature piece with a new hi-best movement. It’s a great watch and wears well….but make way for tue spring drive version, the green birch and the night birch.

I was close to buying a limited edition (gold) for around $50k. The at the time was unique and marketed as ‘rings of trees’, however the same dial is now available for $10k (stainless) with the dial now representing ‘the stars at night’….or something like that.

Very glad to have passed up on the limited piece. I won’t buy another GS until they sort their release policy out.

They made great progress as their watches are really nice and represented very good value. I feel they have lost their way somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Henry14th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 12:42 PM   #13
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

I also agree with all these comments. I saw several of the new GS recently at an AD, and while they all look very nice, the “recycling” of the dials and the upward movement in prices just turned me off.

Given that this is essentially the same as the “Night brich” with the Titanium case, Gs probably think that it can charge the mark up for it being Titanium. Still, the price point is pushing it “out of reach” for the reasonable buyer GS is targeting.
Old 17 October 2022, 01:26 AM   #14
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
I also agree with all these comments. I saw several of the new GS recently at an AD, and while they all look very nice, the “recycling” of the dials and the upward movement in prices just turned me off.

Given that this is essentially the same as the “Night brich” with the Titanium case, Gs probably think that it can charge the mark up for it being Titanium. Still, the price point is pushing it “out of reach” for the reasonable buyer GS is targeting.
Actually, the dial pattern is not like the bitch, but rather what they call Urushi. Same patter as on SBGK005G.
Old 17 October 2022, 08:55 AM   #15
jmso786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
Actually, the dial pattern is not like the bitch, but rather what they call Urushi. Same patter as on SBGK005G.

Not like the what…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmso786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 11:22 AM   #16
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Pass for me as well.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 03:59 PM   #17
sinkholeninja