The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: What is the deal breaker to stop you buying a watch you were about to buy?
Price (too much over retail, or it is a dial not worth it's retail price) 16 34.78%
Movement (made by a specific brand to offput you) 0 0%
Wrong type (quartz, or automatic, or mechanical, one that you needed to be one of the other 2) 1 2.17%
Dial color (everything perfect except not in the color you really want) 2 4.35%
Bracelet too flimsy, weak, lack of adjustments, or not up to standard 4 8.70%
Availability, not willing to be put on long waiting list to get it, too many alternatives 14 30.43%
Lume too weak, or wrong color, no lume at all 0 0%
Too many complications, or unwanted complication, or rather have no date or rather have date 1 2.17%
Dial wrong size, too small, too large, too bulky, too heavy, or too thick 8 17.39%
Bezel wrong, not GMT, or poorly made bezel, or clicks too flimsy 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 October 2022, 04:08 PM   #1
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Icon5 What is the deal breaker to stop you buying a watch you were about to buy?

What is the deal breaker to stop you buying a watch you were about to buy?

Assuming all but 1 or 2 factors was enough to either stop you from buying it, it forcing you to put a hold until something better comes along.

I will offer several options which I hope fits your situation more.
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 10:45 PM   #2
Bling72
"TRF" Member

I really am put off by dials that have poor anti-reflective. Unless it is nearly pitch dark, or under flouro lights at night, and you are looking dead on the dial, you will see reflections.

Another peev, when I want a dial, and you advertise it, you have it in the shop. No waiting lists, expression of interest. It is not limited to watches, now it's for new cars. Imagine if restaurants followed that business model.
Old 23 October 2022, 11:01 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
For me it would have to be simply that a watch didn’t have the same aesthetic appeal to me as I’d did in pictures
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 11:17 PM   #4
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
Harmony of proportions and dimensions are everything.
Rolex teaches.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 11:50 PM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Lack of reliability / service quality, a short two-year warranty when retail is over $15k, obvious cost-cutting measures when awkwardly not having date window background match the main dial... quality received versus overly high retail price....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:17 AM   #6
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
When it doesn't wow me IRL, despite the great pictures on their website. It's got to knock my socks off when I handle it and put it on my wrist. It really boils down to that. No thrills, no point.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:27 AM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I will do all my research, watch as many videos of the watch and ask for views before I pull the trigger. There shouldn't be too many surprises otherwise...
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:39 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
When it doesn't wow me IRL, despite the great pictures on their website. It's got to knock my socks off when I handle it and put it on my wrist. It really boils down to that. No thrills, no point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I will do all my research, watch as many videos of the watch and ask for views before I pull the trigger. There shouldn't be too many surprises otherwise...
This!

None of OP options apply to a piece you are about to buy, unless you don’t research a piece prior to deciding to purchase.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:41 AM   #9
fmc000
Banned

Legibility first as I'm 53 y.o. and wear glasses. I would never consider buying a watch if I can't read the time immediately and I actually sold a Daytona for this very reason a few years ago.

Other than that, I would never buy a new watch without a discount (i.e. not even at retail), I would never buy a watch not immediately available and, finally, I would never buy a watch with cathedral hands.

So, as my first rule is not in the list I did not cast a vote.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:52 AM   #10
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
I have smaller wrists so there’s a lot of watches I really like but can’t even consider because how it would look on my wrist. It’s very frustrating.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 08:34 PM   #11
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Hi alpha, well I have visited some watch sites, where the images of the dials are such low resolution, it can never do any justice. It's so ridiculous. I have to visit y0utube to have a better view, a decent view of the true sheen of a dial, a far more realistic unphotoshopped, representation of the dials, the bracelets. I am sorry, of the official manufacturer websites they have the worst level of detail for their own products. They really should be following the example of some car manufacturers. they have hi-res (some even 4k) video content. Some sites have a build your own model with extras.

WHY are none of these watch websites allow you to accessorise ? they obviously have a poor or non existent hiring policy to employ any half decent marketer, add some accessories, make cases, matching pens, ties, polishing clothes, anything with a flippin official logo on it, it's easy money, we will spend the money for this. We have web designers and watch companies living in the 19th century.

Frugal - Rolex at least cater some day-date dials for 30mm+ sized dials, way below 38, even if nothing available in 2022, in the past they made countless models of smaller dials and sizes.

fmc - have you considered Longines Hydroconquests ? they do them in 39mm, 41mm, and 43 mm the 6, 9, and 12 are all super lume, and are most highly visible. Quite affordable for a historical, well-known brand.
Old 24 October 2022, 10:54 PM   #12
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling72 View Post
fmc - have you considered Longines Hydroconquests ? they do them in 39mm, 41mm, and 43 mm the 6, 9, and 12 are all super lume, and are most highly visible. Quite affordable for a historical, well-known brand.
I'm not in the market for a new watch but thanks for the suggestion.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 12:42 AM   #13
taura
"TRF" Member

I voted bracelet because that's most likely to stop me right before the finish line (or make me regret the acquitition ). All the other factors will likely be considered earlier in the process. It's easy to forgive flaws in a watch that's comfortable to wear (so you won't even notice it most of the time), but if it's somehow nagging on the wrist, I'll soon hate it no matter how beautiful.
taura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 01:12 AM   #14
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

A no go for me is a watch that is too thick. <15mm for a chronograph and <13mm for time only.
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 08:32 AM   #15
Bling72
"TRF" Member

taura. I have seen a healthy number of watch reviews of various models, plus some third party ones. you would be surprised just how many fine quality third party ones are out there.

The christopher ward bracelets have 4 to 5 microadjustments no needing to get out any tools to remove links. This makes the clasp longer than the typical one, but you have to trade that off to have room for 5 microadjustments :D

Watchgecko have some various designs of bracelets and straps.
Old 25 October 2022, 07:03 PM   #16
Bling72
"TRF" Member

I sympathise with all of you who voted for price. Especially when the heart is so set on a specific brand. The other option is to find a brand which ticks as many boxes as possible. I found it with Hamilton and Longines. No they cannot replace a Rolex. I do want to get a watch when I want to get one. Now that some brands offset the accuracy and/or how many htz from 36k down to 21k thus you end up with a +/- 10 seconds per day or more instead of 2. The other side of the coin is a longer power reserve. Instead of a 38 hour to 70-80 hours.

That does make it easier for me to rotate more dials during the week without the stress of them stop ticking.

I hear the argument of for & against watch winders.

Yes the newer 3300 series calibers in Rokex dials increase to 72 hours, but back to the availability of them.