The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2022, 09:24 PM   #4771
HMHM
"TRF" Member

It was only a matter of time! Binotto refused to be honest with SF shortcomings in terms of their strategy and had many times chose to turn a blind eye to their incompetence! If only he had the balls to revamp the strategy department, he would not have to resign! Instead, now we have strategists asking drivers "questions" while they are going at 300km/h, only driver to go on intermediate tyres while everyone else was on slicks etc....

Great engineer, horrible manager... BUT i am not sure if Fred Vasseur is the solution.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 01:15 AM   #4772
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Merry Christmas to all the F1 fans.

See ya next season. Go McLaren.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D2270A7D-F65B-486B-8E18-5E97D855B8DB.jpeg (90.3 KB, 160 views)
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 02:40 AM   #4773
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Lovely car control 'clinic'. Going off-track looks a bit sketchy tho

Happy Holidays
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 09:55 PM   #4774
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Happy Boxing Day
(Resource: https://m.economictimes.com/news/new...w/96511802.cms)

Or…the First Day of the 12 Days of Christmas.

Now are you getting ready?

Road America has fun with snow and cars.

For F1: a season in review
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...vsoWhoswB.html

And the silliness video:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...QOnn1SBIP.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 12:55 AM   #4775
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i'd LOVE to see a few F1 in-the-snow races. Raise the ride height, give them 'snow tyres' and have at it racing. C'mon FIA, do it, DO IT!!! :)

PS: Paul, take a Bentley Conti out in the snow, it's the most fun i ever had in that fat pig of a car.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 28 December 2022, 12:14 AM   #4776
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W

INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 12:40 AM   #4777
77T

The Official Formula One Thread!

It’s all fun even working through the holidays with “sausage making” - enjoy the reviews.

Was just looking at FIA’s Auto journal and saw this Rolex advert (below) that brought me back to my “wonder years”. It reminded me of why most fans watch. The excitement without having to fiddle with all the minutiae in the code.

And the inset photo is what caught my attention…

Air, my friends, air…the ultimate lightness of racing.

Yes, dangerous - but was often the difference between the timid and the bold drivers. Like the pilot’s saying: “There are old drivers and there are bold drivers; but there are no old bold drivers.” To Sir Jackie who led the safety charge in the old days.

Sorry for the graininess - it’s a screenshot.

Here’s to another season ahead - now I’ve got to go to a Zoom to develop 2023 training material.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 04:03 AM   #4778
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
\/...fabulous stuff.
Love the "air" shot.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 01:19 PM   #4779
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Who's in?

Caesars Entertainment has announced a $5 million 'Emperor Package' for the Las Vegas Grand Prix 💰
It includes 12 Paddock Club tickets. Five nights at the Nobu Sky Villa hotel. A culinary experience with Chef Nobu Matsuhisa. Two tickets to Adele's residency at Caesars Palace.

For the price of $5m for 1 race, I need a seat fitting in the Red Bull car paired with Max and strictly no team orders. I'm not pulling aside for him in my only race.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 03:12 PM   #4780
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Who's in?

Caesars Entertainment has announced a $5 million 'Emperor Package' for the Las Vegas Grand Prix 💰
It includes 12 Paddock Club tickets. Five nights at the Nobu Sky Villa hotel. A culinary experience with Chef Nobu Matsuhisa. Two tickets to Adele's residency at Caesars Palace.

For the price of $5m for 1 race, I need a seat fitting in the Red Bull car paired with Max and strictly no team orders. I'm not pulling aside for him in my only race.
Yeah,..no kidding.
5g...that's a lot of coin... Only in Vegas can you be gouged to that extent..But, they'll be takers I'm sure...

Old 30 December 2022, 06:46 AM   #4781
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who's in?

Sure, I'll take one of the 12 tickets. Thanks!
Old 30 December 2022, 08:07 AM   #4782
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Who's in?

Let me check my sofa and get back to you.
Old 30 December 2022, 08:36 AM   #4783
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
Let me check my sofa and get back to you.

Old 30 December 2022, 07:31 PM   #4784
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Sure, I'll take one of the 12 tickets. Thanks!
I'm sorry, Chewbacca already reserved these places for his staff.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 05:03 AM   #4785
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

F1 has to accept this bid right?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/andret...ral-motors-f1/

Also hearing Cosworth back as engine producers for 2026.
Old 6 January 2023, 05:33 AM   #4786
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
F1 has to accept this bid right?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/andret...ral-motors-f1/

Also hearing Cosworth back as engine producers for 2026.
No. Toto has already been very vocal against adding new teams to the grid, I suspect this will be a bit more of a fight for Andretti still. However, having GM involved should certainly help.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 07:53 AM   #4787
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Reports out of Europe today is that an Andretti/Cadillac team would initially be powered by a Renault engine badged as Cadillac, not unlike the "Infiniti" badging of the Renault engines Red Bull used to use over a decade ago.

Some of the pushback against Andretti coming into F1 may be due to possible sponsorship losses to established teams from American sponsors. Google, Microsoft and FTX (which were removed from the Mercedes toward the tail end of the season) just to name a few.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 08:05 AM   #4788
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Reports out of Europe today is that an Andretti/Cadillac team would initially be powered by a Renault engine badged as Cadillac, not unlike the "Infiniti" badging of the Renault engines Red Bull used to use over a decade ago.

Some of the pushback against Andretti coming into F1 may be due to possible sponsorship losses to established teams from American sponsors. Google, Microsoft and FTX (which were removed from the Mercedes toward the tail end of the season) just to name a few.
I would bet all the $ in my sofa that FTX will not be sponsors of any cars on the 2023 grid. Lol
Old 7 January 2023, 11:27 PM   #4789
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
No. Toto has already been very vocal against adding new teams to the grid, I suspect this will be a bit more of a fight for Andretti still. However, having GM involved should certainly help.
Adding more cars to the grid would be a mess. If someone wants to watch an overly full grid, go see Indycar.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 11:34 PM   #4790
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Adding more cars to the grid would be a mess. If someone wants to watch an overly full grid, go see Indycar.

Oh really? Can you elaborate on how or why exactly that would be?

Old 8 January 2023, 12:55 AM   #4791
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
I’ve attended many IndyCar races at Belle Isle in Detroit. 26-28 cars raced each time, and the starts were clean and fast. They hit the start line at 150 mph and entered the first corner at 110 and did fine.

The starts in F1 used to be clean for the most part, but the past few years, they’ve turned into a demolition derby due to aggressiveness and unwillingness to let up.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 03:17 AM   #4792
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How about a 103 or 105 percent rule? If a team car can't be within 103% in lap time as compared to the second-fastest car, your car does not get to compete within that race.

Old 8 January 2023, 06:37 AM   #4793
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
How about a 103 or 105 percent rule? If a team car can't be within 103% in lap time as compared to the second-fastest car, your car does not get to compete within that race.

Still waiting for his explanation for why it would be worse than what we have now. F1 produces awful racing, 2 or maybe 3 teams in the same ballpark and a bunch of drama. And I have yet to see an F1 driver come over and show us how it's done. So why can't F1 have more than 20 cars on a grid? I have heard arguments about certain tracks not having paddock space, garages, etc to allow for it. But efficiency, global warming, net zero, electric cars, bla bla bla. So that doesn't add up, you can't fit 4 more cars (2 teams) and all of their infrastructure in these paddocks? They are resistant because people like Toto don't want to cut up the FIA pie funds more ways.....But yada yada F1>IndyCar.

Old 8 January 2023, 06:54 AM   #4794
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I’ve attended many IndyCar races at Belle Isle in Detroit. 26-28 cars raced each time, and the starts were clean and fast. They hit the start line at 150 mph and entered the first corner at 110 and did fine.

The starts in F1 used to be clean for the most part, but the past few years, they’ve turned into a demolition derby due to aggressiveness and unwillingness to let up.
I would love to see a race at Belle Isle. It's close to where I live now.

Indycar races start cleaner because they don't start from zero. Rolling starts are less risky (and less exciting, imo). But passing in Indycar is more dangerous because the track is more crowded. Plus, there is a culture of more aggressive driving in Indycar (NASCAR, too), that makes them more dangerous.

I agree that F1 starts have had an increase in accidents in the past few years. That's due to jockeying for position when the differences in cars' acceleration ability can mean fast place changes. Once they get past the first few turns, the crashes dramatically reduce. Many F1 races are completed without a crash at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
That's an interesting proposal. I'm wondering how many cars this would eliminate?

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 8 January 2023, 06:55 AM   #4795
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

F1 has... ummm... 'devolved'. Think of it more like sports entertainment... or a human circus... and it's far more enjoyable. For open-wheel racing, i love watching European F4. Wish I lived near SCCA tracks as I did previously, always an awesome weekend and you can camp out for fun too. Also lend a hand if a driver walls during qualification and needs hands to get the car race ready.

Old 8 January 2023, 07:13 AM   #4796
buckrogers0025
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And I have yet to see an F1 driver come over and show us how it's done.
Really?

Well, since IndyCar hangs their hat on the Indianapolis 500 - how about a list of F1 drivers who came over and showed how it was done and won at Indy:

- Jim Clark (2 F1 championships)
- Graham Hill (2 F1 championships)
- Mario Andretti (1 F1 championships)
- Emerson Fittipaldi (2 F1 championships)
- Jacques Villeneuve (1 F1 championships)
- Takuma Sato (2 Indy 500 wins)
- Juan Pablo Montoya (2 Indy 500 wins)

The list of IndyCar drivers besides Mario Andretti to win ANYTHING in F1:

- Zero
buckrogers0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 07:18 AM   #4797
Doc Savage

Quote:
Still waiting for his explanation for why it would be worse than what we have now. F1 produces awful racing, 2 or maybe 3 teams in the same ballpark and a bunch of drama. And I have yet to see an F1 driver come over and show us how it's done. So why can't F1 have more than 20 cars on a grid? I have heard arguments about certain tracks not having paddock space, garages, etc to allow for it. But efficiency, global warming, net zero, electric cars, bla bla bla. So that doesn't add up, you can't fit 4 more cars (2 teams) and all of their infrastructure in these paddocks? They are resistant because people like Toto don't want to cut up the FIA pie funds more ways.....But yada yada F1>IndyCar.
Getting a little testy, eh? Be patient. Some of us have to work.

The pit/garage space is an issue, and your "bla bla bla" response isn't a convincing refutation. But it's not the most important issue. You seem to ignore the main problem, which is space on the track during the race. The number of Indycar crashes are significant, and they are due in part to the number of cars on the track.

Quote:
And I have yet to see an F1 driver come over and show us how it's done.
That's because they tend to prefer driving F1. If you were given the choice of driving on historic F1 tracks around the world, from Silverstone to Monza to Monaco to Baku, et at, vs the Indycar circuit (including the boring ovals), which would you choose?

You're clearly an Indycar fan. That's great. So why all the concern about how many cars F1 has on the track? Just so you can troll F1 fans?

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 8 January 2023, 07:19 AM   #4798
buckrogers0025
"TRF" Member

Actually... I stand corrected...

Juan Pablo Montoya DID come from IndyCar and did pretty well in F1 with seven race wins!
buckrogers0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 07:19 AM   #4799
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers0025 View Post
Really?

Well, since IndyCar hangs their hat on the Indianapolis 500 - how about a list of F1 drivers who came over and showed how it was done and won at Indy:

- Jim Clark (2 F1 championships)
- Graham Hill (2 F1 championships)
- Mario Andretti (1 F1 championships)
- Emerson Fittipaldi (2 F1 championships)
- Jacques Villeneuve (1 F1 championships)
- Juan Pablo Montoya (2 Indy 500 wins)

The list of IndyCar drivers besides Mario Andretti to win ANYTHING in F1:

- Zero
^

Takuma Sato of Super Aguri is so good he is listed twice and one of my favorite drivers of that era.
Old 8 January 2023, 07:29 AM   #4800
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers0025 View Post
Actually... I stand corrected...

Juan Pablo Montoya DID come from IndyCar and did pretty well in F1 with seven race wins!

Mario ran US car programs way before F1 as well.

But I would take Indy 500 wins aside. Nobody has come over in recent years as F1 washouts and destroyed IndyCar drivers through a season. And that's with top flight teams.

I'll give you Emmo but try to show me one recent example..... there are none.