The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
----

New TV Shows

So, is anyone watching any of the new TV shows this fall? I guess this would apply to those in North America primarily…..

It’s always a bit of a crap shoot investing your time in watching a new series that might be cut at any moment. Last fall I think there were 3 series featuring some form of alien invasion, and I haven’t seen any of them return to this fall’s line up (I think we picked the one that was cancelled first last year ). They might be saving one or two as “mid-season replacements” however.

We have picked up 2 new shows this year so far:

1/ Smith – starring Ray Liota and Virginia Madsen, plus some other fairly well known actors (at least I recognize them from other movies and TV series). Ray Liota leads a team of thieves who pull off some pretty elaborate heists. The action is good, there is something of a story behind it all, and it has an appropriate level of brutality to keep my interest. The writing seems crisp and the acting is superb so far. Only a few shows in, but I think this one will be a good series if the writing keeps pace.

2/ Jericho – Starring Skeet Ulrich and Gerald McRaney (remember Simon and Simon? LOL!). They live in a small town in Kansas (Jericho) where the townspeople witness a nuclear blast in the distance. It turns out this is Denver being hit, and three episodes in it’s implied that many US cities have been hit. No one really knows what’s going on, and so far the series has focused on how the town and its people cope with this situation. It’s an interesting concept but some of the writing is weak. I have a hard time suspending my logical side enough to believe that some of the things done by the people in this town would actually happen if this situation were true. For instance, sealing people in a mine to protect them from fallout by blasting the mine opening shut. Or, having a community party 2 days after the explosions where people seem quite relaxed and seem to be having too good a time considering the nuclear war that appears to be going on around them. I’m sticking with this for a while because I want to see who’s behind the attacks, but I have a feeling this one won’t last. Then again, how long was Simon and Simon on TV? LOL!

The other show that I started watching last night is a mini-series. It’s called October 1970 and is a dramatic telling of the events of that time when the FLQ (Front de Liberation du Quebec) kidnapped some people and killed one of their hostages. A dark time in Canadian history, but a series of events (and the bombings and murders that preceded that time) are quite fascinating as far as I’m concerned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis

Back then our PM (Pierre Trudeau) invoked the War Measures Act, which was our “Marshall law” and allowed many people to be arrested by the military and held without charge. After that October 36 years ago, the Quebec separatists moved away from violence and towards a political methodology to gain their separate country in Quebec. Two times a referendum has been held, and both times they have voted to stay as part of Canada….but the last time was very close! An 8-week mini-series on CBC.
Old 14 October 2006, 01:48 AM   #2
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I'm watching Heroes... I'm finding it very interesting. The premise of the show is that there is a professor who thinks that there are certain people who have genes that will allow them to fly, teleport, heal/regenerate, predict the future etc.

When he gets murdered, his son follows on his footsteps to find out who did it. In the mean time, various people are finding out they have powers and some are still inpervious to the fact.

I'm also following last season's shows that have survived the cuts like LOST...
Old 14 October 2006, 02:34 AM   #3
Atomic

I'm watching an uninspired Survivor and of course the best show on TV, The Amazing Race.

I haven't picked up on any new shows just yet. Still watching Trailer Park Boys nightly on Showcase, and the usual stuff on TLC and History channel.
Old 14 October 2006, 02:49 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Well, Dutch TV has reached an all time low with yet another 'Big Brother' spin-off: The Golden Cage. Contestents have two stay up to 2 years in a luxurious villa, the last one to get out will get the 2,3 million Euro villa plus 2,9 million in cash. The rest are re-runs and imported foreign shows. I hardly watch TV anymore, most of it is cr@p. And after you've seen the Blackadder series for the 11th time, you start to long for something new. There are very good programmes, but they are few. Alas.
Old 14 October 2006, 02:56 AM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Sad to say, I watch 30 minutes of TV a night, from 11-11:30. That's when the news is on. The rest of the night (when we're home) is spent monitoring this place or (wonder of wonders) reading.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2006, 03:24 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Sad to say, I watch 30 minutes of TV a night, from 11-11:30. That's when the news is on.
Don't you mean 'info-tainment'?
Old 14 October 2006, 03:29 AM   #7
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Amazing Race is awesome! I want to see if bionic woman will be able to make it to the final three.

I also watch "48 hours" - where they follow detectives in a span of 48 hours trying to solve a murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
I'm watching an uninspired Survivor and of course the best show on TV, The Amazing Race.

I haven't picked up on any new shows just yet. Still watching Trailer Park Boys nightly on Showcase, and the usual stuff on TLC and History channel.
Old 14 October 2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Jericho is actually quite good, I enjoy that one. Somewhat reminiscent of 'The Stand'. Has anyone here seen/is a fan of 'Entourage'?
A client recently gave me the first few seasons to watch, and it's been a lot of fun. Jeremy Piven's psychotic talent agent has to go down as one of the best sitcom characters!
Old 16 October 2006, 03:03 AM   #9
Rodentman
Banned

I watch a lot of TV. I pick up on many of the new series, set the DVR to get the series, and check them out. I then weed out the ones that don't flip my chicken.

Entourage is a bit of whimsy; guys lounging around with too much money and not enough to do.

I also like Prison Break, Lost (altho it is way too complexicated), Vanished, Survivor (losing its appeal), House, and a few others.

I spend time on forums too, but have recently weeded out a couple of those, whose names I won't mention...
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2006, 11:19 PM   #10
Atomic

Actually, one show I've been watching during Survivor commercials is Ugly Betty. It's tough to follow it given the way I watch it, but I quite like what I've seen. It's funny but in a more cerebral way than slapstick. It has great promise.
Old 17 October 2006, 01:45 AM   #11
----

Quote:
Don't you mean 'info-tainment'?
Why do you say that John? I didn't see Ed refer to Fox News.........
Old 17 October 2006, 01:49 AM   #12
----

Quote:
Actually, one show I've been watching during Survivor commercials is Ugly Betty. It's tough to follow it given the way I watch it, but I quite like what I've seen. It's funny but in a more cerebral way than slapstick. It has great promise.
I've thought about watching that, but so far have not tried it.

I agree Survivor is nothing special this year......

One show I forgot to mention was Men In Trees. The wife likes that one (reminds me a bit of Northern Exposure - same sort of premise with a fish out of water character in Alaska and how they handle the life and relationships there). It's okay, and probably watching Anne Heche has made it bearable........she looks very nice with longer hair!

Anyone know when The Shield is coming back on.......driving me nuts not knowing!
Old 17 October 2006, 04:57 AM   #13
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I just started watching one called "Rent A Goalie"
I found this quite humorous.
Think you might need to be Canadian, eh, to get this one though.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2006, 05:30 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
I just started watching one called "Rent A Goalie"
I found this quite humorous.
Think you might need to be Canadian, eh, to get this one though.
Actually I'm watching this show as well. I quite like it and last night's episode was pretty good too! Two shows into the season and both funny.

whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack.
Old 17 October 2006, 05:50 AM   #15
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack-a-whack. [/QUOTE]

Paulie needs to see this show, then it might be thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2006, 05:54 AM   #16
Atomic

Quote:

Paulie needs to see this show, then it might be thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-[/QUOTE]

Was that a JJ moment, John....
Old 17 October 2006, 08:09 AM   #17
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

Paulie needs to see this show, then it might be thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-[/QUOTE]

If it's on CKWS I can watch it. That's the only canadian station we get on cable here.
Old 17 October 2006, 10:49 PM   #18
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Paulie needs to see this show, then it might be thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-
If it's on CKWS I can watch it. That's the only canadian station we get on cable here.[/QUOTE]

It's on Showcase on Sunday nights at 9:30.
Old 18 October 2006, 02:37 AM   #19
howitzer

Watch: GMT Duce
LOVE studio 60 on NBC. Same team that did Sports Night a bunch of years ago. Very smart & witty. Shark is Ok with James Woods. Would like to catch Jericho sometime.
howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2006, 02:13 AM   #20
Atomic

I think this is a new show... but I started watching a sit-com on Showcase on tuesdays (after Trailer Park Boys) called Billable Hours. Shot in Toronto (great skyline shots from the windows) and it's intelligent and witty.
Old 20 October 2006, 03:37 AM   #21
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

The Nine

While I finished watching LOST on my PVR, it recorded the first few minutes of an new show called "The Nine". It looked very interesting.

I've started to record the series and we'll see if it keeps me hooked on it.
Old 20 October 2006, 05:04 AM   #22
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
While I finished watching LOST on my PVR, it recorded the first few minutes of an new show called "The Nine". It looked very interesting.

I've started to record the series and we'll see if it keeps me hooked on it.
Something we planned to watch last week was a rerun, so we watched an episode of The Nine......looked good so I recorded another last night.
Old 20 October 2006, 05:54 AM   #23
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

I think on top of "The Nine", there's also a new thriller called "Dexter". The premise of the show is also intriguing.

http://www.tv.com/dexter/show/62683/summary.html