The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

View Poll Results: Does your 32xx movement seem to be 100% ok?
Yes, no issues 1,007 70.42%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) but timekeeping is still fine 60 4.20%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) and timekeeping is off (>5 s/d) 363 25.38%
Voters: 1430. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 January 2023, 01:46 AM   #3451
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
This is correct.

Any time I've ever told a Rolex AD watchmaker that my watch was -3 or -4 spd they scowled and asked for a pic, I show them my watchtracker plot, and then they take it back to regulate it. 3-4 min job.

They expect it to hold the 2 second window. They make no fuss about adjusting it to meet that. There's not accuracy / precision discussion going on. A clock necessarily must be precise to hold a preset accuracy.
The accuracy target is the intent.
Rolex has historically always adhered to this principal whether it be COSC or the Superlative standard.
Actually my experience is that Rolex will usually aim for the best possible accuracy when requested, even in the COSC days they were regulating their Chronometer movements to better the Superlative standard for years.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 02:00 AM   #3452
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
My question is what is the point at which Rolex does declare the watch out of spec? I get that a watch may be -4 spd and +2/-2 in 5 positions of some period of time (say 24 hrs). So with that, assuming I understand this correctly, +2-2 from -4 spd could put you reading -6 spd somewhere in the allotted time period. Is this correct.? If yes, does your actual spd have to hit +9/-7 to be considered out of spec? Is there even an actual guarantee on accuracy?
I think it's been answered on numerous occasions within this thread.
The answer is the criterior that Rolex applies is they will look at the amplitude after they can verify the accuracy is not in accordance with the the Superlative standard.
Having said that, it has been reported by diligent owners that they have had watches with the 32xx movement which were running well but didn't have adequate amplitude and Rolex serviced the watch because it didn't meet the specs.
The amplitude doesn't miraculously improve. It is always destined to decline and can only be restored by a full movement service.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 02:31 AM   #3453
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I think it's been answered on numerous occasions within this thread.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=3397
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 05:10 AM   #3454
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post

No surprise. This guy is not worth to read his hater nonsense or reply to. None of his 7 posts here have any tiny content. JMO
C'mon, guys...no hate here.

Just a little levity at the smug self-righteousness.

Carry on,

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 08:53 AM   #3455
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
This is correct.

Any time I've ever told a Rolex AD watchmaker that my watch was -3 or -4 spd they scowled and asked for a pic, I show them my watchtracker plot, and then they take it back to regulate it. 3-4 min job.

They expect it to hold the 2 second window. They make no fuss about adjusting it to meet that. There's not accuracy / precision discussion going on. A clock necessarily must be precise to hold a preset accuracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The accuracy target is the intent.
Rolex has historically always adhered to this principal whether it be COSC or the Superlative standard.
Actually my experience is that Rolex will usually aim for the best possible accuracy when requested, even in the COSC days they were regulating their Chronometer movements to better the Superlative standard for years.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 05:55 AM   #3456
Seo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
You are way over thinking this.

Rolex advertise +2/-2 spd. There are no legal definitions, caveats, disclaimers or anything else about how that number is derived. Consumers therefore (in the UK at least as that's the law I'm familiar with) can reasonably expect their watch to operate within the parameters of either losing or gaining 2 seconds per day. Not operating within +2/-2 of a consistent loss or gain of however many seconds per day.

If I set my (up to 5 year old) watch at 1pm today to the exact time and its more than 2 seconds fast or slow by 1pm tomorrow using that same exact time reference its not operating within the spec Rolex say it will in their publicly promoted marketing information and I have a right to expect Rolex to address that under warranty.

Now, we all know that mechanical timepieces are subject to many different environmental factors, temperature, age of components, positioning, power reserve, wearing habits, etc, etc that can (and will) impact timekeeping, but the average consumer is not expected to know that and can, in law, simply expect their watch to perform as advertised.

Incidentally we also need to drop the whole precision versus accuracy point as far as Rolex’s advertising statement is concerned

Precision is literally defined as

“the quality, condition, or fact of being exact and accurate”

So there’s no difference from the legal perspective of interpretation of Rolex advertising.

I believe the laws are very similar throughout Europe. The rest of the world may of course differ.

Yes I agree, I posted earlier about the same thing. Not once did rsc point to this definition discussion when I spoke to them about problematic timekeeping.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 04:50 AM   #3457
saxo3
"TRF" Member

32xx movement problem poll and data thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
After reviewing this thread it seems like it would be a good idea to check out my current 32xx series watches, 4 w/3235 and 2 w/3285.
Any news?
Does your collection contain 2022 watches with 3235 or 3285 movements?
Old 25 January 2023, 04:13 AM   #3458
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Is anyone aware of the 22xx movements in the OPs (that were first used in 2020) to have the same issues as the 32xx movements?
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 10:30 PM   #3459
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
Is anyone aware of the 22xx movements in the OPs (that were first used in 2020) to have the same issues as the 32xx movements?
I am NOT aware of any problems.

My wife has a watch with a 2235 (Base movement 2230) movement.

Its NOT the best timekeeper on the world by any means but It does NOT have the 32xx problem and shows no signs of having a similar problem.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 11:16 PM   #3460
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
I am NOT aware of any problems.

My wife has a watch with a 2235 (Base movement 2230) movement.

Its NOT the best timekeeper on the world by any means but It does NOT have the 32xx problem and shows no signs of having a similar problem.
My wife has an OP with the 2232 movement. Losing anywhere between 20secs and 60secs a day. No history of violent wear or shocks. It did have to go through metal detectors while traveling recently.

My best guess is that it is magnetized or the movement is off. Taking it to AD on Saturday to have them put it on the timegrapher...will report back.

Only reason I posted this here is that the 2232 movement is new (introduced in 2020), so I was wondering if some of the 32xx issues may have crept in the 2232. I will be curious to see the amplitude numbers on Saturday.
Old 25 January 2023, 11:58 PM   #3461
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Taking it to AD on Saturday to have them put it on the timegrapher...will report back.
…..
I will be curious to see the amplitude numbers on Saturday.
That will be interesting.
Please ask the AD for the timegrapher printout.
Old 26 January 2023, 01:30 AM   #3462
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
The 3235 on my Sub 124060 tested in 5 positions on a Weishi 1000 the day after being fully wound and having rested overnight dial up was x -1.6 with a delta of 4 (between a range of 0 s/day DU and -4 s/day CD). Average amplitude was 238 and beat error between .1 to .3. Running a tad slow but precise and within spec. What's the accuracy of the Weishi it's anyone's guess, but these results are spot on to observed performance on a daily basis. I'm guessing that the lower amplitude readings are a compromise to achieve a greater power reserve.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 01:32 AM   #3463
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That will be interesting.
Please ask the AD for the timegrapher printout.
Will do.
Old 26 January 2023, 01:45 AM   #3464
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
The 3235 on my Sub 124060 tested in 5 positions on a Weishi 1000 the day after being fully wound and having rested overnight dial up was x -1.6 with a delta of 4 (between a range of 0 s/day DU and -4 s/day CD). Average amplitude was 238 and beat error between .1 to .3.
I don't understand what can we learn form that? What are the timegrapher data after full winding?
Quote:
Running a tad slow but precise and within spec.
What do you mean?
Quote:
I'm guessing that the lower amplitude readings are a compromise to achieve a greater power reserve.
What are the amplitudes and rates after full winding and 24 hours later? These two timegrapher measurements (5 positions) provide an idea how healthy the 3230 movement is.

Btw, your Submariner Ref. 124060 has a 3230 and not a 3235 caliber installed
Old 26 January 2023, 01:55 AM   #3465
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will do.
Old 27 January 2023, 09:08 PM   #3466
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
What's the accuracy of the Weishi it's anyone's guess, .
I have BOTH a Weishi 1900 and a Witschi.

I am happy to say that the Weishi is very accurate and agrees with the Witschi with it's results.

The Weishi is therfore a bargain and can be highly recommended.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:17 PM   #3467
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course I did not manage to get the print out , but I was not there long enough anyway. They took the OP and put it on the timegrapher (12 hours from full wind) and it read amplitude between 90-110 in DU position. Watchmaker then fully wound it AND demagnetizedit and amplitude remained roughly the same. I did not stick around for tests in the other dial positions.

The TG showed the timing jumping from plus to minus erratically.

Movement is definitely off. They are opening it on Monday to see if anything obvious and easy to fix jumps out, but I suspect it is going to RSC in Dallas.
Old 29 January 2023, 07:19 PM   #3468
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course I did not manage to get the print out , but I was not there long enough anyway. They took the OP and put it on the timegrapher (12 hours from full wind) and it read amplitude between 90-110 in DU position. Watchmaker then fully wound it AND demagnetizedit and amplitude remained roughly the same. I did not stick around for tests in the other dial positions.

The TG showed the timing jumping from plus to minus erratically.

Movement is definitely off. They are opening it on Monday to see if anything obvious and easy to fix jumps out, but I suspect it is going to RSC in Dallas.
Thanks for the update. Yes, this 2232 movement, unveiled in 2020, is totally sick.

How old is this OP? Bought new or preowned? You have the Rolex 5 year guarantee card?

A private 200 $ timegrapher is very useful, so no need for silly AD games.
Old 29 January 2023, 11:37 PM   #3469
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Yes, this 2232 movement, unveiled in 2020, is totally sick.

How old is this OP? Bought new or preowned? You have the Rolex 5 year guarantee card?

A private 200 $ timegrapher is very useful, so no need for silly AD games.
OP was bought in April 2022 new from AD at MSRP. I had been on the waitlist for it, so bought it the day after it came in to the AD. So less than one year old for sure. I therefore bought full set with box and papers and 5 year warranty.

AD is awesome and I trust that Rolex will make it right. But yeah movement is sick.
Old 30 January 2023, 12:20 AM   #3470
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP was bought in April 2022 new from AD at MSRP. I had been on the waitlist for it, so bought it the day after it came in to the AD. So less than one year old for sure. I therefore bought full set with box and papers and 5 year warranty.

AD is awesome and I trust that Rolex will make it right. But yeah movement is sick.
A Rolex OP sold in April 2022, which (only 9 months later) has amplitude values of about 100 degrees after full winding? Are you sure?

How often was this watch running? Daily worn, frequently worn, rarely worn, unworn?
Old 30 January 2023, 02:46 AM   #3471
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A Rolex OP sold in April 2022, which (only 9 months later) has amplitude values of about 100 degrees after full winding? Are you sure?

How often was this watch running? Daily worn, frequently worn, rarely worn, unworn?
100% sure. I watched the watchmaker put it on and saw the measurements myself. Watch was worn every day during the daytime and left DU at night. Only time my wife didn't wear it was a 5 day trip to Seattle in the fall. Otherwise, she wore it every day all day.
Old 30 January 2023, 06:45 AM   #3472
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Was the watch ever dropped?
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 03:31 PM   #3473
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Was the watch ever dropped?
My wife says no. I obviously asked. And while the watch has scuffs on the bracelet, I saw nothing that would support a drop. No Dents, dings, gouges, etc.
Old 31 January 2023, 10:57 PM   #3474
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
From the first day, my 2022 five month old Sub no date 124060 with 3230 movement consistently run within specs losing 1 second every 2-3 days...I wear it 8+ hours per day at least 5 days a week. Occasionally it goes on the watch winder but usually face up on my dresser when off the wrist.
Old 1 February 2023, 04:36 AM   #3475
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine99 View Post
From the first day, my 2022 five month old Sub no date 124060 with 3230 movement consistently run within specs losing 1 second every 2-3 days...I wear it 8+ hours per day at least 5 days a week. Occasionally it goes on the watch winder but usually face up on my dresser when off the wrist.
Great and not unusual for a new 32xx watch.

The day-night variations would be nice to see for longer periods. Two very simple measurements per day are sufficient.

Did you consider to monitor the timekeeping with the Watch Tracker app? That is very easy to use and provides a few nice graphs.

Old 1 February 2023, 09:16 PM   #3476
camb
"TRF" Member

Hello,

I'm close to a purchase of a watch using the 3230 movement (OP41 new from an AD) and this thread came up in the course of some research.

I've read through quite a bit of the thread with interest.

I'd be interested to know from some of those active within the thread (or anyone else) whether the information publicly available about this issue would put you off purchasing a Rolex with a 32** movement or not?

All the best
camb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 11:43 PM   #3477
swexlin
"TRF" Member

So I haven't posted in this thread, until now. My 2021 Deepsea (purchased BNIB from DavidSW in Oct 21 with card dated that month) has been consistantly -1-2 spd slow from new. That's with winding it every 2-3 days, wearing 3-4 hours a day, and resting crown up at night.

Literally overnight, it started running -4 spd slow. Last Tuesday, I set and wound it. Next morning, Wednesday, I checked it against my time app on my phone (also with Time.gov) and it was -2 seconds. Normal. The next day, Thursday, it was -6. So it had lost 4. And has been that every day since. -4spd. Very weird. I haven't knocked it , dropped it, nothing. Wear and winding habits the same.

When I put it on the Weishi, it's ALL Over the place. Can't even get a good reading. So, I'll monitor it for a while. If it gets worse, I guess I'll send it to RSC.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 11:52 PM   #3478
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by camb View Post
Hello,

I'm close to a purchase of a watch using the 3230 movement (OP41 new from an AD) and this thread came up in the course of some research.

I've read through quite a bit of the thread with interest.

I'd be interested to know from some of those active within the thread (or anyone else) whether the information publicly available about this issue would put you off purchasing a Rolex with a 32** movement or not?

All the best
I’d be hesitant to buy one out of warranty.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 11:54 PM   #3479
saxo3
"TRF" Member

@swexlin: it's the Sea-Dweller Ref. 126660 with 3235, right?

Do you have some timegrapher data when the watch was new in 10/2021?

Maybe you can take some timegrapher screenshots now, after full winding (40+ full crown turns) in DU position?

3-4 hours wearing per day is not much and might result in a low mainspring power reserve and low amplitudes. Resting DU or DD overnight probably helps too to gain a second or more, depends how the movement was regulated.
Old 2 February 2023, 12:05 AM   #3480
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@swexlin: it's the Sea-Dweller Ref. 126660 with 3235, right?

Do you have some timegrapher data when the watch was new in 10/2021?

Maybe you can take some timegrapher screenshots now, after full winding (40+ full crown turns) in DU position?

3-4 hours wearing per day is not much and might result in a low mainspring power reserve and low amplitudes. Resting DU or DD overnight probably helps too to gain a second or more.
That's correct, SeaDweller Deepsea. I will try to get a screen shot of the timegrapher. And I know that 3-4 hours is not much, but that's how I have worn since new. So that's why I noticed the sudden change in the per day time loss. Nothing about my wearing, winding, nor overnight position habits changed. Very odd.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote