The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 29 January 2023, 08:16 AM   #2941
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
MDA is moda dealers alliance. it’s a very expensive group to be a part of outside of facebook. and you have to have auto vouches for up to $50k before being considered for joining.
Old 29 January 2023, 08:49 AM   #2942
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Real watch buyers. It's a subscription only area (separate group).
Old 29 January 2023, 08:51 AM   #2943
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
::
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissmadeTexan View Post
MDA is moda dealers alliance. it’s a very expensive group to be a part of outside of facebook. and you have to have auto vouches for up to $50k before being considered for joining.
Old 29 January 2023, 10:56 AM   #2944
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True dealer pricing has and will always be in a separate chat. These dealers give each other good deals because they do a lot of business with each other, are highly vetted, do each other favors in various ways, don’t have to deal with a retail customer and all the questions/concerns and other BS that comes with etc etc.

However, most highly sought after pieces like new or modern Rolex sports model pieces aren’t going for much cheaper if any cheaper than in the regular moda group. Since these pieces can be sold rather quickly and easily in regular moda at the market price. Why would they sell them for cheaper in a “special dealer chat” especially when margins on these pieces are very slim to begin with.

You’re just wrong about a “pushing prices up” narrative. However, i do agree that Moda is and will be the best place to see current market pricing. It’s not a place where watches are posted for months looking for that just right buyer. I’m in RWB fwiw and RWB isn’t really anything like regular Moda. it’s not some place where you magically get 20% off any pieces available on regular moda either.
What's the pricing like in the True Dealer chats?

For example on a vintage Rolex 18038?
Old 30 January 2023, 03:21 AM   #2945
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Pricing really is still all over the place. Had a quick look around UK sites/ stores this weekend. Most expensive I could see for an unworn 2022 126610LV was £21k but plenty in the high teens. And I was offered one at £12,350 - relatively new dealer but no obvious issues with them and available to view in a brick and mortar store for peace of mind.

I wonder how much of this drop in demand is buyers not having a clue what a fair price is any more so holding off.
Old 30 January 2023, 07:46 AM   #2946
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
Pricing really is still all over the place. Had a quick look around UK sites/ stores this weekend. Most expensive I could see for an unworn 2022 126610LV was £21k but plenty in the high teens. And I was offered one at £12,350 - relatively new dealer but no obvious issues with them and available to view in a brick and mortar store for peace of mind.

I wonder how much of this drop in demand is buyers not having a clue what a fair price is any more so holding off.
Yeah I’m really struggling with whether or not I should pull the trigger on an AP ROC (26331) this week. Found one for a what seems to be a good price at a brick and mortar grey dealer. Going to check it out in person tomorrow. Obviously the concern is a month from now it being worth $5-$10k less and I could have gotten a better deal.

Guy was straight up with me that he couldn’t afford to hold the piece until the market picks up (if ever) and that dealers are not stocking these ATM.

It really seems like the secondary market for Royal Oaks is struggling if not dead.
Old 30 January 2023, 07:57 AM   #2947
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
Yeah I’m really struggling with whether or not I should pull the trigger on an AP ROC (26331) this week. Found one for a what seems to be a good price at a brick and mortar grey dealer. Going to check it out in person tomorrow. Obviously the concern is a month from now it being worth $5-$10k less and I could have gotten a better deal.

Guy was straight up with me that he couldn’t afford to hold the piece until the market picks up (if ever) and that dealers are not stocking these ATM.

It really seems like the secondary market for Royal Oaks is struggling if not dead.

Good luck with the viewing. If you don't mind me asking, how much did he quote?
Old 30 January 2023, 08:11 AM   #2948
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Good luck with the viewing. If you don't mind me asking, how much did he quote?
$41k (panda version) box but no papers. If the deal makes will be trading Rolex gmt plus cash. Given the uncertainly of the market and no papers I am def going to negotiate down. I think $38k is fair.
Old 30 January 2023, 08:47 AM   #2949
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
$41k (panda version) box but no papers. If the deal makes will be trading Rolex gmt plus cash. Given the uncertainly of the market and no papers I am def going to negotiate down. I think $38k is fair.

Good luck!
I think that's a fair offer given the current market and even what you're seeing at C24 -10% (and considering no papers)
Old 30 January 2023, 09:43 AM   #2950
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tremendous. Definitely haggle hard. These guys are in a hard spot and are still preying on a sucker.
Old 30 January 2023, 10:19 AM   #2951
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Tremendous. Definitely haggle hard. These guys are in a hard spot and are still preying on a sucker.
Will report back!!
Old 30 January 2023, 12:13 PM   #2952
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yeah, this watch is for sale on moda from your dealer. it’s been up for 3 days @$41k. He commented hold until tomorrow, for you obviously. I wouldn’t expect to get it at $38. Esp with trade ins. It would likely sell very fast in Moda for $38.
Old 30 January 2023, 01:08 PM   #2953
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, this watch is for sale on moda from your dealer. it’s been up for 3 days @$41k. He commented hold until tomorrow, for you obviously. I wouldn’t expect to get it at $38. Esp with trade ins. It would likely sell very fast in Moda for $38.

Yeah going to have a conversation and see where it goes. What are your thoughts on the piece? I think it looks to be in really good shape (normal wear and no major dings or dents). No papers concern me a bit (even tho I know it’s not a huge deal and this dealer is well regarded in MODA). Even if 38 can’t close it I think it’s reasonable to come down some being that I’ll eventually have to pay for papers and probably send it in for a polish since it is used.

It’s a tough call for me as a big part of me wants to wait to see if prices continue to go down and get this closer to retail but at the same time I don’t want to be kicking myself if this goes back up.
Old 30 January 2023, 03:06 PM   #2954
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Prices slump by up to 50% for discontinued Rolex watches (Watchpro)

Quote:
Yeah going to have a conversation and see where it goes. What are your thoughts on the piece? I think it looks to be in really good shape (normal wear and no major dings or dents). No papers concern me a bit (even tho I know it’s not a huge deal and this dealer is well regarded in MODA). Even if 38 can’t close it I think it’s reasonable to come down some being that I’ll eventually have to pay for papers and probably send it in for a polish since it is used.

It’s a tough call for me as a big part of me wants to wait to see if prices continue to go down and get this closer to retail but at the same time I don’t want to be kicking myself if this goes back up.

Such is the predicament for anyone looking to buy or sell anything of value in this market. It’s very difficult to know what could happen in the future. Even some of the smartest economists expected us to be worse off than we are at this point. Indicators and prices lag a bit. This isn’t much different than any hard assets like Gold. In fact since Gold has risen back up a bit so have modern Rolex prices these last few weeks.

Is it a piece you’re looking to hold and enjoy for a lifetime or are you looking to hold it for a year and let it go in pursuit of something else? If it’s the former I’d say it really doesn’t matter as prices will go up over longer term time frames. If it’s the latter, you’re likely not going to perfectly buy the bottom no matter how much you want to and it will go up/down with the rest of the watch market anyways.

So, yeah given it’s no papers and great condition, and a piece you seem to really desire, it seems like a decent piece/opportunity to try to get a maximum good deal on a highly coveted piece. Obviously, you can get archive papers as mentioned.

Good luck in negotiations, bud!
Old 30 January 2023, 10:32 PM   #2955
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Even if we are at the bottom, which I don't think. Prices will properly go up very slow, so I think the possible gain by waiting is bigger than the possible loss. So I would wait a few months to see if the market stabilise.

Even if prices go up a few % before you buy, you would have a piece at a reasonable market price that's not bad at all. If the market comes down 20% more, you would get stuck with the piece or a big loss.

If you intend to keep it forever, it's not that big a deal.

Sendt fra min SM-F711B med Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2023, 12:56 AM   #2956
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'd wait. You seem very well aware the current RO situation and these are going to keep dropping. The savings in 6 months could very likely be nearing 5 figures.
Old 31 January 2023, 01:01 AM   #2957
messikens
"TRF" Member

Good lord has the market for APs come to a standstill? Seeing a 15202 in decent condition on this forum for less than 50k.
A limited edition 77600 for literally msrp + tax… a panda for 50k.

Not complaining at all but it seems shocking how far prices have come down recently. Queue another release in Feb and I wonder if older RO and ROO (and codes given the expected release of smaller editions or perhaps even steel) will be impacted further
Old 31 January 2023, 01:04 AM   #2958
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good lord has the market for APs come to a standstill? Seeing a 15202 in decent condition on this forum for less than 50k.

Not complaining at all but it seems shocking how far prices have come down recently. Queue another release in Feb and I wonder if older RO and ROO (and codes given the expected release of smaller editions or perhaps even steel) will be impacted further
They are not at a standstill, they are dropping daily.
Old 31 January 2023, 01:05 AM   #2959
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Also - I think you make a great point about the new releases this year and their impact on older models' pricing.
Old 31 January 2023, 01:42 AM   #2960
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

That's tempting to me. The 15202 is a great size.
Old 31 January 2023, 01:51 AM   #2961
whiterabbit66
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,
Quote:

If its going to be a longterm ownership for you I would not buy without original box/papers period. Quality is the most important metric rather than price with a high end watch. I am looking for a 15202 right now and want a perfect one with all papers or not at all. Any high end watch that's messed with, not original or without papers effectively looses 75% of potential buyers IMHO.
Old 31 January 2023, 01:54 AM   #2962
whiterabbit66
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
That's tempting to me. The 15202 is a great size.
I am lookin for a perfect 15202 and struggling to get anything close to the prices mentioned on this thread out in the real world.
Old 31 January 2023, 02:13 AM   #2963
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit66 View Post
I am lookin for a perfect 15202 and struggling to get anything close to the prices mentioned on this thread out in the real world.

Ah. Well there's that ... sounded pretty awesome.

Figured before I spend $58,500 on a Cornes de Vache maybe a jumbo is worth a look.
Old 31 January 2023, 04:51 AM   #2964
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
I'd wait. You seem very well aware the current RO situation and these are going to keep dropping. The savings in 6 months could very likely be nearing 5 figures.
Good advice, thanks for the input. Will report back after my meeting w/ the dealer today.
Old 31 January 2023, 06:17 AM   #2965
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good advice, thanks for the input. Will report back after my meeting w/ the dealer today.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes!
Old 31 January 2023, 07:49 AM   #2966
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit66 View Post
Because this thread is BS lol. But apparently Moda is the grail for deals right now. But no one can see prices like this in the real world. What are the prices you are being quoted for a 15202 mint quality?
Old 31 January 2023, 08:03 AM   #2967
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Because this thread is BS lol. But apparently Moda is the grail for deals right now. But no one can see prices like this in the real world. What are the prices you are being quoted for a 15202 mint quality?
911 I respect your opinion man but I wouldn't say this thread is BS. If you go to a grey dealer armed with MODA comps you can negotiate them down (someone on the forms just did this in the diamond district). I spent a half hour on the phone with a brick and mortar grey the other day who was very upfront about the market and how most dealers won't even stock Royal Oaks anymore because they aren't moving.

They are trying to bleed out slowly but if the market continues the way it's going they will have no choice but to sell for substantial losses. Takuya, luxury bazaar, etc have APs sitting on their sites at prices that were market 8-10 months ago. How are they going to move those without a huge loss?
Old 31 January 2023, 08:08 AM   #2968
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Wrong. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's "BS"

1. Call any grey dealer and see what they would buy said piece for (if they'd even buy... none of that consignment garbage where they have no skin in the game and hint at an amazing price you won't get lol)

2. Cross reference with MODA (sales not asks)

These two data points re: sales tells you where the market is. Asking prices don't mean jack, particularly from the greys who have been holding the line and thereby held on to pieces for quite some time.

Finally, I've haggled multiple greys down to MODA pricing... so yes it's available to the public.

Market price is only as good as the value at which buyer and seller meet. I could say a Tesla Model X is worth $500k. But if no one buys, how is that the market?
Old 31 January 2023, 10:15 AM   #2969
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
C24 cutting jobs....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ch-prices-fall

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 31 January 2023, 10:22 AM   #2970
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Prices slump by up to 50% for discontinued Rolex watches (Watchpro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

Hopefully Father Time went first.

I can't tell if they're trying to be ironic like Duke Cannon or not.
Closed Thread