The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 March 2023, 07:30 PM   #1
Leedslad84
Banned

Yellow Green Daytona JM - pricing

I think the prices expectedly for this now are going to go a bit crazy. I'm torn on whether to wait and see if they eventually drop, or get it now with the risk of it going up and up and up.

What do people think? I thought the general trend on Discontinuations is that they initially go up before eventually plateauing and falling back down, but just also wondering about supply of these and whether that is even possible here.

Thoughts appreciated :)
Leedslad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:36 PM   #2
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedslad84 View Post
I think the prices expectedly for this now are going to go a bit crazy. I'm torn on whether to wait and see if they eventually drop, or get it now with the risk of it going up and up and up.

What do people think? I thought the general trend on Discontinuations is that they initially go up before eventually plateauing and falling back down, but just also wondering about supply of these and whether that is even possible here.

Who knows. The tiffany OP is still trading at almost 4x the original retail price.
Sure they were much higher immediately after discontinuation but £20k is still a crazy number for a basic £5k three hander.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:42 PM   #3
grimps
"TRF" Member

I've just said on another post that this was the best Dial Rolex have ever made in my opinion.
Daytona's are probably the most in demand Rolex model so I would say that anyone lucky enough to own one will never lose money on it
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:08 PM   #4
MSL997
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 & 116520s
Let it settle in and find a floor. That’s what happened with the 116520 recently found a floor at $20k and stabilized at $23k. You won’t time it perfectly but the floor will be obvious when it happens. There are plenty of JM out there they’re all on the grey market. I too will be going after it.

The JM prices now will be the highest it will go near term because of the enthusiasm high from discontinuation.
MSL997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:45 PM   #5
Leedslad84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL997 View Post
Let it settle in and find a floor. That’s what happened with the 116520 recently found a floor at $20k and stabilized at $23k. You won’t time it perfectly but the floor will be obvious when it happens. There are plenty of JM out there they’re all on the grey market. I too will be going after it.

The JM prices now will be the highest it will go near term because of the enthusiasm high from discontinuation.
Sound advice Think I will wait a month
Old 28 March 2023, 08:53 PM   #6
rolexgs
Banned

the crazy price now is just an illusion, speculation. the most important thing is how many real transactions at this price, which I think is zero! the price will come back down to slightly above before discontinued price within a month or two.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:59 PM   #7
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Today shows just how fake the watch market is. The prices are set by a cartel of greys, swindling money from people by pretty much rigging it.

WatchFinder the UK's biggest reseller were caught de-listing and re-listing at higher prices a year or 2 ago. I would not be surprised if they held back stock to hide this fact.

When these watches get listed on chrono24, the day after at nearly double the price (I had emails this morning with prices from 70k to 110k overnight), this isn't driven by sales but greed.

These guys got greedy last year and some of them got burn't, esp on the RM's, pateks and bigger pieces. Inadvertently, they are also inflating prices by trading wholesale between themselves, having their cut on the way through whilst trying to source these for their clients.

I think they learn't a valuable lesson, not to hype a subset of models only to find supply eventually dries up and people get tired of having their pants pulled down.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 09:55 PM   #8
clubrcr
Banned

Another variable that isn't being discussed is the impact of the AD CPO market. I am curious what that will do for prices. This CPO market will give the AD the ability to charge higher prices for used watches than new, and although many might feel this will bring down prices in the gray market, I disagree. It might create a floor, but I don't see any major discounts on CPO watches vs. the grey. I would think they might set a higher price because of the warranty and the safety of buying at a AD. Who knows, we will see.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 09:57 PM   #9
Mini2
"TRF" Member

The watch has been made in the tens of thousands
People are just chancing there luck
Prices will come down
People are asking insane premiums for the not so in demand dials now haha the worlds gone mad
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:35 PM   #10
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

What’s working against you is how perfect the 116508 green is. Once you own one, it’s very very very difficult to part with it (no matter what the price is).

I think most who own one like myself will agree with me. The 116520 is just a black or white Daytona…. There’s always a new one coming out with more hype. I don’t see the 116508 the same way. I think this will be one you want to have 20 years from now
YGRLX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:38 PM   #11
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
The watch has been made in the tens of thousands
8,000,000,000 people in the world though...
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:40 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and only you can know what you’re willing to spend.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:45 PM   #13
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Green dial is coming back on the newer model in the future, Rolex doesn't have time to introduce all color dials on new models. It will bring back the green in a new form or look, and blue dials with time. Plenty of Beautiful gold Daytonas to buy from currently. It's just a gold Daytona with a green dial.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:47 PM   #14
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
the crazy price now is just an illusion, speculation. the most important thing is how many real transactions at this price, which I think is zero! the price will come back down to slightly above before discontinued price within a month or two.
Exactly
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:50 PM   #15
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGRLX View Post
What’s working against you is how perfect the 116508 green is. Once you own one, it’s very very very difficult to part with it (no matter what the price is).

I think most who own one like myself will agree with me. The 116520 is just a black or white Daytona…. There’s always a new one coming out with more hype. I don’t see the 116508 the same way. I think this will be one you want to have 20 years from now

We’ll said! As an owner of one I agree that the dial is mesmerizing. As for all the nonsense about prices falling because it happened to the 116520 and they were made in the tens of thousands and there are plenty available. A quick check on C24 will show you 1157 116520s available vs 62 126508s. Now I don’t know how many Rolex has made nor does anyone else. As far as where prices are going is anyone’s guess but if you ask me with only 62 available on the world’s largest watch site it’s a good bet they ain’t going down anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 11:37 PM   #16
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
8,000,000,000 people in the world though...
Don't fall into that trap
Don't be coheres into thinking just because its been discontinued its worth a lot more
if it was RARE then yes but its not
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 10:55 AM   #17
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Don't fall into that trap
Don't be coheres into thinking just because its been discontinued its worth a lot more
if it was RARE then yes but its not
It’s actually pretty rare lol
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:45 PM   #18
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Yellow Green Daytona JM - pricing

The spike will last for a while as people bemoan the discontinuation and reach to get their hands on one. I expect prices to hover in the $80-$100k range, but I don’t see it getting back to the rarified $120k+ range it was at for a while. I also suspect Rolex will do another green dial at for 65th or 70th anniversary which will prevent it from becoming a true “classic.” Just my thoughts though. Who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:48 PM   #19
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
Watch the online auctions such as Moda - several have sold at over US$105K since the announcement - they were selling to highest bidder at US$65-70 last week.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:50 PM   #20
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
Exactly
See my post above - the "real world" is what they are selling for in online auctions which is now over US$100K in contrast to under $70K last week.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:19 PM   #21
Jimho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL997 View Post

I agree, I think the prices are generally volatile after big events like W&W. Folks have already mentioned dealers delisting and relisting at higher prices

No one will know for sure whether the watch will be re-introduced or not, but with the current high interest rates, prices generally should come down across the market - advice would be to wait a few more months for things to stabilize

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jimho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:38 PM   #22
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Not wise for end users to buy now. Now is the time for dealers to pump the price. If dealers think this watch has good investment value, why would they sell now? They are just clearing their stocks that they bought at all time high. Now is the chance for them to minimize their losses and move the stock.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:42 PM   #23
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
See my post above - the "real world" is what they are selling for in online auctions which is now over US$100K in contrast to under $70K last week.

hilarious!
Old 29 March 2023, 09:10 PM   #24
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGRLX View Post

I totally agree with you. I love this timepiece the most in my collection and will keep it for a long long time.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:45 PM   #25
Leedslad84
Banned

Defo going to wait. Best price I got offered so far is £85,000 for brand new 2021.
Old 30 March 2023, 12:12 AM   #26
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Defo going to wait. Best price I got offered so far is £85,000 for brand new 2021.
definitely speculative, price will drop to under 70,000 in a month or two. be patient.
Old 30 March 2023, 12:31 AM   #27
rolex_pl85
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
Not wise for end users to buy now. Now is the time for dealers to pump the price. If dealers think this watch has good investment value, why would they sell now? They are just clearing their stocks that they bought at all time high. Now is the chance for them to minimize their losses and move the stock.
This is EXACTLY what is happening. I'm very close to a dealer - he was holding 3 of these and he is offloading right now because he is trying to get his money back and take advantage of the hype.

He said its pure hype and most sales are not to end users but dealers pumping it up themselves.

Be VERY VERY careful of buying this watch at the inflated prices. So many ppl got burnt they are all offloading. If your a member of the trade groups they even put a limit on how many can be listed right now so not to flood the market. LOL
rolex_pl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:37 AM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Buckle up. The most sought after model family of Rolex just got discontinued. Even a pedestrian Rolex model goes up when it gets discontinued. (Hulk comes to mind and it wasn’t even popular for half of its life cycle)
In contrast, take a watch that started out a Rock Star and only went up in popularity in time that even more people lusted after for years and now can’t even get it at retail in the .0002% chance they would get a AD call.
Psychologically speaking., this is the perfect storm scenario that drive collectors to pay stupid money for a discontinued model. Yea, there is newer version they could try all over to get but it won’t be “THE” one that they really wanted and only time will increase their desire.

Wealthy don’t like to be told “no” and they desire objects that are not made anymore more than ones that are.
Old 30 March 2023, 01:06 AM   #29
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex_pl85 View Post
This is EXACTLY what is happening. I'm very close to a dealer - he was holding 3 of these and he is offloading right now because he is trying to get his money back and take advantage of the hype.

He said its pure hype and most sales are not to end users but dealers pumping it up themselves.

Be VERY VERY careful of buying this watch at the inflated prices. So many ppl got burnt they are all offloading. If your a member of the trade groups they even put a limit on how many can be listed right now so not to flood the market. LOL
A very high percentage of Rolex grey market watch sales are dealer to dealer.
They always have been.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 01:17 AM   #30
rcwatchcollector
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
exactly.
rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote