The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2023, 01:46 AM   #61
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I own 4 Pateks, my wife owns 2, all bought from retail.

I must be a billionaire!!!

At least worth 5 or 6mil. Tell me I’m wrong.
Old 24 May 2023, 02:56 AM   #62
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Question. What kind of Bear is best?
Old 24 May 2023, 03:06 AM   #63
joa
"TRF" Member

OP maybe introduce yourself as "H.E. Pennypacker, Wealthy industrialist, Philantropist and Cyclist"!
Old 24 May 2023, 03:25 AM   #64
LSU-MOOSE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I’ve already been on an all expense paid five day tour of the Patek manufacture and I’m no whale ultra elite etc. that you speak of. I’m not trying to impress anyone with Patek or any AD. Your post is all over the place, a rambling diatribe full of non facts and innuendo. Your suggestion to lie about who I am to prove your so called point is just plain stupid. Besides all that I find the watch business boring. I’m not interested in that aspect of appreciating watches. If people want to get into that it’s fine with me but you’ve gone overboard and sound like a bitter child that didn’t have things go your way.
I think you are playing chess with a pigeon.
Old 24 May 2023, 03:34 AM   #65
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I'd like to think that the "everyman" has a chance to taste at the luxury table now and then. But you and I know that's not the case. IT NEVER HAS BEEN THE CASE.

I can't tell you how many anecdotes of snooty retailers at high end stores, giving the brush off to the hoi polloi there are (hint, there are a lot.....movies and TV shows have been made about this).

Snooty restaurants and their front house staff. Exclusionary real estate people and luxury apartment landlords. Porsche and Mercedes dealers. I mean, where do I start? Where does it end?

I don't like being treated like a second class citizen, and I make a very good living, but I'm not going to compare myself to Jay Z or Jamie Dimon. The luxury ADs are going to bend over backwards and cater to them...for obvious reasons. Thierry Stern may even offer to personally deliver a watch to them. I mean cmon.

And yes, these people will be able to get these watches at retail, while us shmucks have to buy at inflated prices to get our hands on these things, if at all.

Such is life in the luxury goods market. It sucks, and I don't like it. But as much as I would like things to change....they haven't in literally thousands of years. It's human nature as much as a business decision.

These watches really weren't meant for "regular people" meaning they weren't designed for people who work for a living. They are meant for people with generational wealth....they always have been.

It sucks and, yes, it may not be "right", but it's just reality.
Old 24 May 2023, 03:45 AM   #66
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Ah, never watched it
the office is one of my favorite shows. had a very serious, oddball character would always preface his arguments by stating facts. fact this fact that. this reminded me of that. another character in the show made fun of him by saying face, bears eat beets. battleship Galactica etc.
Old 24 May 2023, 03:52 AM   #67
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
the office is one of my favorite shows. had a very serious, oddball character would always preface his arguments by stating facts. fact this fact that. this reminded me of that. another character in the show made fun of him by saying face, bears eat beets. battleship Galactica etc.
I'll have to give it a view.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2023, 04:49 AM   #68
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Oh, I can just hear Dwight saying something like that!
Old 24 May 2023, 05:05 AM   #69
Locust
"TRF" Member

https://youtu.be/WaaANll8h18
Old 24 May 2023, 05:06 AM   #70
Locust
"TRF" Member

Now someone introduce my Royal Eliteness to an AD who’ll sell me a 5212a!!!
Old 24 May 2023, 05:23 AM   #71
CAWatchLove
Banned

Gebbeth, you absolutely NAILED IT with the philosophical unpacking of snooty retailers, pretentious industry, human nature and how this is the way its ALWAYS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE. You are so correct and what I have exposed on Patek, it’s AD network and Mr Stern only validates this.

I too need to reset expectations and focus on more important things. Another great comment was made about these being first world problems and much more important things are going on in the world, so very true. I’m very pleased with the conversation stimulated here.

I can accept these practices as human nature and just the simple fact that it will always be this way in luxury.

What I absolutely cannot accept is Patek Phillipe and Mr Stern acting “holier than thou” when they say they want to accommodate ALL true collectors. Or when they say they do not like the grey market and hate their products being sold at inflated prices when we all know they can stop it anytime. This family and all ultra elite like them “pretend” like they are for all people or collectors. Stern makes comments that he is not for overcharging people for his watches. He’s a flat out liar considering everything I’ve pointed out. He wants “upper class” in the grey market, he turns a blind eye at double sealed auctions and flippers and keeps those AD’s open, and he closes doors where there are not enough “elites” and he does so without notice. He wants the elite to OVER PAY millions in diamonds and jewelry so they can get his watch at retail. It’s his way of adding another elitist to his database. The entire thing is sickening.

I’m just sick and tired of Patek/Sterns false messaging, lies and contradictions all for profits. For Patek it has very little to do about the horological nerd and enthusiast. It has everything to do with profits, future profits, continued hype and an elitist client data base.
Old 24 May 2023, 05:40 AM   #72
Locust
"TRF" Member

Need to let it go. When they came out with the steel pilot calatrava, Stern was all "this is to get more people into the brand yada yada yada, blah blah blah". Of course they all went straight to whales or the grey market. Go buy a grand seiko or an omega and be happy. This much energy into a watch is a little silly.
Old 24 May 2023, 06:44 AM   #73
martinr
"TRF" Member

Five or six years ago I walked into my AD and bought a 5980 blue dial sealed for 40K and msrp was 51K. No waiting. It was in his safe. He had another on display and I asked for an untouched watch. Discounts were the norm. Patek was expensive. Same with 5711 white dial & 5960A. The 5960A came from an out of state AD I had no prior history with. I asked for 20% off msrp and that watch arrived a few days later. Now that inventory is tight and discounts are gone the OP whines about the elite class and attacks Thierry Stern like he’s some kind of evil monster. It’s ridiculous. Really he should blame social media and instagram for making all these watches hard to find at retail. Blame the people that want the look to compete with their social media “friends”. Blame the followers that are influenced by influencers. And to the guy that said all luxury places treat regular customers like crap that just isn’t true. Sometimes it happens but it also happens to be true that there are plenty of nice friendly salespeople willing to deal with a potential customer. All the generalizations you guys are making are just that. Generalizations that aren’t the case most of the time.
Old 24 May 2023, 08:02 AM   #74
CAWatchLove
Banned

Martinr trying to win another Patek at MSRP is once again stating stupid things and naive. Stern is not a monster nor is that being alleged, he’s just a liar on multiple levels as detailed several times and agreed upon by many that Patek & Stern are knowingly doing all the things stated. The original post details everything he’s doing. He’s not a monster, but he is a liar centered around greed and profits over bringing “true new collectors” in. I already have the Patek’s I’m most interested in and I was fortunate enough to get them at MSRP the new practices I have detailed.

Hypocrites and liars like Stern will be called out. It does not make him a monster, it makes him human. He’s not the holier than thou saint looking out for true collectors by not overcharging them. That’s all a lie and he has lied publicly about that.

The facts have been stated. There is also a testable way to prove the Stern Groupies like Martinr wrong, but of course he won’t take that test at the random AD.

The situation is what it is. But this should be helpful to those who read going into the Patek dealers thinking there passion for the brand and watches matter, it really does not. Who you are or what they think you are from an elite standpoint will get you further. Facts
Old 24 May 2023, 09:12 AM   #75
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

There is a lot of divergence between peoples experience with Patek, AP, or any other brand for that matter—that can be on this thread and TRF more broadly. I don’t think putting a blanket statement is representative of the brand at large. Yes, there’s been a good share of exploiting customers (through nudging these clients to buy pieces to obtain others) in recent years, but that falls more so on the ADs and clients giving in to this practice because they believe it propitiates the AD.

Yes, Patek could rectify the situation to an extent by overseeing ADs individual practices but that would require significant oversight.

Anecdotally, I have noticed an uptick in peoples unsatisfactory experience with the brand recently. Simply take a look at Patekholic and Horology Ancienne’s recent posts and stories on IG. Whether you want to call them whales, VIP, VVIP, or simply followers, they do have influence on the watch community—whether that be for better or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2023, 09:29 AM   #76
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
There is a lot of divergence between peoples experience with Patek, AP, or any other brand for that matter—that can be on this thread and TRF more broadly. I don’t think putting a blanket statement is representative of the brand at large. Yes, there’s been a good share of exploiting customers (through nudging these clients to buy pieces to obtain others) in recent years, but that falls more so on the ADs and clients giving in to this practice because they believe it propitiates the AD.

Yes, Patek could rectify the situation to an extent by overseeing ADs individual practices but that would require significant oversight.

Anecdotally, I have noticed an uptick in peoples unsatisfactory experience with the brand recently. Simply take a look at Patekholic and Horology Ancienne’s recent posts and stories on IG. Whether you want to call them whales, VIP, VVIP, or simply followers, they do have influence on the watch community—whether that be for better or worse.

I agree with that - horology_ancienne father & son due have to be billionaires and if not very close but I find them to be the most honest and also nuanced. Patekholic just seems a bit bitter that his supply got cut off since kelly left tiffany. I still don't understand how he is not a client of a salon but maybe has something to do with his constant leaks of new watches.

Long story short, they all started to be more critical recently, especially with the Japan exhibition models that ended up on chrono24.
Old 24 May 2023, 08:06 PM   #77
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
There is a PP AD a few miles from Detroit MI so...........
Old 24 May 2023, 11:27 PM   #78
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Need to let it go. When they came out with the steel pilot calatrava, Stern was all "this is to get more people into the brand yada yada yada, blah blah blah". Of course they all went straight to whales or the grey market. Go buy a grand seiko or an omega and be happy. This much energy into a watch is a little silly.
This was a great time on the forum resulting in many bannings.

Every time I wear my 5522 I am reminded of how great I am.
Old 25 May 2023, 12:19 AM   #79
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Cali and Canada need to let it go, move on guys.
Old 25 May 2023, 12:33 AM   #80
Xpatcan1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
OP, you didn’t get the cold shoulder from Humbertown did you?
I immediately thought this guy just had a standard visit at humbertown, that's all.
Old 25 May 2023, 12:58 AM   #81
Top G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpatcan1 View Post
I immediately thought this guy just had a standard visit at humbertown, that's all.
Old 25 May 2023, 01:21 AM   #82
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
This was a great time on the forum resulting in many bannings.

Every time I wear my 5522 I am reminded of how great I am.
Old 25 May 2023, 03:22 AM   #83
unotaz
"TRF" Member

I think the OP is just butt hurt that his AD lost their Patek license or he couldn't get the Pateks he wanted from his AD
Old 25 May 2023, 03:59 AM   #84
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
My experience was I was buying Patek for 5 years. I got my 5711s and 5167s. Life was good.

Then, hype happened and my AD in LA starting bundling more and more. A bruguet Torb or $150k in IwC was needed to purchase a 5712a.

Its economics. I don't think Patek has changed its position. The AD sure did.
Old 25 May 2023, 04:48 AM   #85
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Given what you written, this means your AD is either Chong Hing and Bucherer, with the Brequet bundle reference. One of these two dealers have already been informed they lost their Patek license.

My AD doesn't practice bundling thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
My experience was I was buying Patek for 5 years. I got my 5711s and 5167s. Life was good.

Then, hype happened and my AD in LA starting bundling more and more. A bruguet Torb or $150k in IwC was needed to purchase a 5712a.

Its economics. I don't think Patek has changed its position. The AD sure did.
Old 25 May 2023, 05:32 AM   #86
Nana7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Sounds like Chong Hing. My AD is Bucherer and personally haven't had to deal with any bundling. A new Patek showroom is being opened in South Coast Plaza as well so I'd be surprised if the license is being taken away. I'm guessing you're at Gearys or Polachecks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Given what you written, this means your AD is either Chong Hing and Bucherer, with the Brequet bundle reference. One of these two dealers have already been informed they lost their Patek license.

Old 25 May 2023, 08:00 AM   #87
Tachycardia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post

Did another AD lose patek? Which one?

I know with last round of cuts, Hyde park in Newport lost Patek. And Chong hing went from 2 locations having patek down to just 1 having it.
Old 25 May 2023, 08:43 AM   #88
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Quite a few actually. The current lists on Patek website isn't reflecting the reality.

Sorry, can't say anymore, but the number of ADs is dwindling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia View Post

I know with last round of cuts, Hyde park in Newport lost Patek. And Chong hing went from 2 locations having patek down to just 1 having it.
Old 25 May 2023, 01:53 PM   #89
newonos
"TRF" Member

Quote:

its been at 46 US ADs on the website for a few weeks. No new departures I'm aware of... yet
Old 25 May 2023, 02:22 PM   #90
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Does that mean Ch premier in the bay will also lose their Patek account ?

Closed Thread