The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 June 2023, 03:04 AM   #1
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

No New Releases Yet?

Just curious as the flurry of new releases last year from Omega seemed to be never ending.

Now, it's relative radio silence.

I know there have been other threads about this, but wondering if I'm just missing something, or has the release schedule really been this thin.

I can only really think of the Moonshine gold MoonSwatch as "new" announcement (which, my opinion, was such a let down as to be farcical).
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 03:54 AM   #2
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
There were some Aqua Terra Worldtimers released in May. Did not come out with the bang Omega probably expected …
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 03:57 AM   #3
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
There were some Aqua Terra Worldtimers released in May. Did not come out with the bang Omega probably expected …
So I saw the ceramic ones. I guess that does count, but still a bit thin this year.
Old 9 June 2023, 04:05 AM   #4
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
The Speedmaster Super Racing was also released.

MoonSwatch is a Swatch release not an Omega release. You can't buy it from an Omega boutique.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 04:41 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
They really haven't released anything close to a hot item (not counting MoonSwatch) since the new '57 series was released. It has been quiet.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 09:30 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have also noticed this. I would believe we will see some new releases coming up. Having fallen behind Cartier and now number 3 probably does not sit well either but many factors influence sales numbers. Price increases don't help either.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 10:15 PM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have also noticed this. I would believe we will see some new releases coming up. Having fallen behind Cartier and now number 3 probably does not sit well either but many factors influence sales numbers. Price increases don't help either.
as much as collectors and other people don't want to listen it is an industry wide problem.

omega played the game of perceived rarity and it backfired hard on them. it took them 15 months to release a basic 3 handed aqua terra. now you can get any color on their website. they also jacked up prices two times.

is a moonwatch still good value? yes. but if it is such great value why does it sell for 20 to 25 off on the 2ndary basically new?

i for one believe the maisons have gotten extremely greedy at the wrong time. they are all jacking up prices and in my opinion have priced themselves out of the market. this while brands that are micro or non swiss are stealing market share. people are buying seiko, baltic hell even christopher ward had 2 great releases this last year with their chime watch and the 12.

bottom line, people are getting back to living and travelling not spending all their time invested in watches.

JLC is the latest to fall into this trap of raising prices. it is no different than NINA or SISA mortgage products in the mid to late 2000s. everyone else is doing it so why don't we? the truth is in a time of falling demand the only way to increase sales revenue is to increase pricing. they can claim inflation but let's be serious demand is failing for high end swiss watches as it is for other luxury goods.

there are a few brands in the swiss space that haven't fallen trap to this. breitling and tudor are two that come to mind. if anything breitling is one of the best brands around right now in terms of delivering on its core mission.

it has not helped that maisons have been spurred on by hype sellers, instagram and free money. all that is drying up and what remains is a 30k royal oak 3 hander at retail plus tax. not too many people will pay that much for that watch. perhaps someone trying to make a quick buck. that is what this industry has become - monetized and all about the money. it is sad and disgusting. i am basically done with it for now.

a lot of collectors are to blame just as much as anyone else. they ate up all the BS and fell right into the hype. monetization ruins hobbies. i've seen it many times. this is no exception.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 10:43 PM   #8
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The price increases are becoming frustrating. Feels like they’re going 2 a year. I get that things are expensive but at the same time it’s not like anything drastically new is happening. Now is the time they could take advantage of Rolex supply issues but they’re giving potential customers all the more reason to wait for a Rolex
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 04:03 AM   #9
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

They may have finally realized flooding the market with endless configurations is not the best way of increasing sales. I prefer them doing minor changes spread out then doing drastic design changes for thousand configurations.

That being said, I would love to see an updated PO39, and when I say updated, I mean thinner case with better bracelet design, not wave dial green watch.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 04:19 AM   #10
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I think a shotgun approach is bad as well (see GS for this particular issue), but radio silence is not the way either. There needs to be a balance.

Omega is in a weird situation in that, in my opinion, they have WAY too many models lines, each with too many variations. They need to do away with, or cut back severely, on existing lines and simplify their offerings.

But they also need to release a few new models that catch the watch buyer's attention. Like a 2 for 1 exchange....get rid of 2 lines and add 1 exciting new model line.

They have both too much AND too little. Two things can be true at the same time.
Old 10 June 2023, 04:53 AM   #11
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No New Releases Yet?

From WUS courtesy of user @6R15

SMP300 in 41mm

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 08:23 AM   #12
gd12188
"TRF" Member

They are too busy bamboozling people with Phillips and their Frankenstein watches
gd12188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 08:10 AM   #13
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
From WUS courtesy of user @6R15

SMP300 in 41mm

This 41mm wouldn’t be bad if they made it a gmt like the 50th anniversary. They need a tool-watch gmt that’s wearable again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote